Teacher runs off with student Page 5

• Page

of 27 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 13:32:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Aargh. Not according to the church...

Your point is right, but the difficulty is that it's two different crimes we are talking about. The difference between a student and youngish teacher having a relationship, and an old teacher abusing a young student.
  • kalel 26 Sep 2012 13:33:55 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    15 to 30 is a much bigger age gap then say 30 to 45. It's not about the 15 years, it's about the changes you go through in that time, and your perception of age as a concept. When you're 30 45 year olds are basically your peers, but when you're 15 a 30 year old seems a couple of generations away from you.

So I don't buy the proximity argument. 30 and 15 are not close in age.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 13:34:06 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen Of course, but they still can have a legitimate relationship that makes them both happy. Because they can say 'it's ok when we get a bit older' they try and justify it to themselves.
  • LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:35:16 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    15 to 30 is a much bigger age gap then say 30 to 45. It's not about the 15 years, it's about the changes you go through in that time, and your perception of age as a concept. When you're 30 45 year olds are basically your peers, but when you're 15 a 30 year old seems a couple of generations away from you.

So I don't buy the proximity argument. 30 and 15 are not close in age.
    Not only that, a 30 year old is twice the age of a 15 year old, whereas a 45 year old is only half as old again as a 30 year old.

Yes, it is different.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 26 Sep 2012 13:35:26 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

Your point is right, but the difficulty is that it's two different crimes we are talking about. The difference between a student and youngish teacher having a relationship, and an old teacher abusing a young student.
    You seem to be saying if he's 30 and she's 15 that's a relationship, but if he's 50 and she's 15 that's abuse. That's bollocks.
  • Zomoniac 26 Sep 2012 13:37:16 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

You seem to be saying if he's 30 and she's 15 that's a relationship, but if he's 50 and she's 15 that's abuse. That's bollocks.
    What if they were 23 and 18? Which is quite feasible.
  • LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:37:41 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's fine, and happens all the time.

Edit: In fact, what the fuck are you on about Zomoniac?

Edited by LeoliansBro at 13:38:07 26-09-2012

• TheSaint 26 Sep 2012 13:37:43 13,629 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surprised he's a maths teacher. This always seems like more of a PE or Geography thing to do.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 13:37:54 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Of course, hence the half your age plus 7 system... but they are still close enough together that these things will sometimes crop up.

A guy I know once went to a school to help out with some 16 year old, and he said that sometimes it's easy to forget how young they are. I did give him a funny look...
  • nickthegun 26 Sep 2012 13:38:26 55,866 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He actually seems to be saying that the age gap is sufficiently small for this kind of thing to be completely inevitable.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sport 26 Sep 2012 13:39:01 12,046 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

oh Zom!
  • Zomoniac 26 Sep 2012 13:39:11 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    That's fine, and happens all the time.

Edit: In fact, what the fuck are you on about Zomoniac?
    I meant in the context of a new teacher and someone in year 13. In any other context it would be fine, and whilst it would still technically (I believe) be classed as an abuse of power in the circumstances, would most people take issue with it as being so?
  • LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:39:55 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    senso ji has already answered that Zom. Check the rest of the thread.

• Zizoo 26 Sep 2012 13:39:56 7,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, because there's a big difference between a 18 year old and a 15 year old.
  • kalel 26 Sep 2012 13:39:58 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

It's both feasible and totally reasonable, due to 18 being well over the age of consent, not to mention being much closer in age to 23.

I've no idea what your point is here.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 13:40:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Not automatically. But the likelihood of a genuine relationship arising decreases as the age gap widens.

So where as 30% of 15+30 year old cases may be a relationship situation (still wrong, but different to one sided abuse), 99% of 15+50 year old cases are likely to be straight forward abuse.
  • kalel 26 Sep 2012 13:42:18 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @kalel Not automatically. But the likelihood of a genuine relationship arising decreases as the age gap widens.

So where as 30% of 15+30 year old cases may be a relationship situation (still wrong, but different to one sided abuse), 99% of 15+50 year old cases are likely to be straight forward abuse.
    You're kinda scaring me.

IMO 100% of relationships of anyone over say 18 (at a push) with a 15 year old are abusive.
  • Zomoniac 26 Sep 2012 13:42:27 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

It's both feasible and totally reasonable, due to 18 being well over the age of consent, not to mention being much closer in age to 23.

That it would still be a sex offence, despite everyone saying it would be totally reasonable.
  • LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:42:43 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rob, if a relationship is unsuccessful in the long term, that doesn't make it automatically abusive.

• Deleted user 26 September 2012 13:43:35
    kalel wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

The only issue there would be favouritism and the potential that the teacher is abusing their position of authority. Not one for the police but one for the school/college board.
  • RobTheBuilder 26 Sep 2012 13:43:38 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @nickthegun On a small number of occasions yes. It shouldn't happen, but it will crop up.
  • LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:43:52 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    That it would still be a sex offence, despite everyone saying it would be totally reasonable.
    Christ, read the fucking thread you mong. As a teacher he can't do this with any of his pupils while they are in school. If they were 23 and 18 and he wasn't her teacher etc, then it is fine.

• kalel 26 Sep 2012 13:44:45 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    RobTheBuilder wrote:

It's a different offence for different reasons though. I'd be surprised if the punishment was anything more than losing a job, although I could be wrong.
  • Deleted user 26 September 2012 13:44:50
    We can add a lack of understanding about sex offenses to the list of things to scare us about Zom then.
  • elstoof 26 Sep 2012 13:45:03 6,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the parents of the 18 year old and the employer of the 23 year old would be legally obliged to take issue Zom.
  • Zomoniac 26 Sep 2012 13:45:10 7,402 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Christ, read the fucking thread you mong. As a teacher he can't do this with any of his pupils while they are in school. If they were 23 and 18 and he wasn't her teacher etc, then it is fine.
    I know that, I was wondering if the EG population (probably not the best survey of ethical reasoning, I know) thought it was immoral, despite it being illegal.
  • Deleted user 26 September 2012 13:46:18
    Is this your new idea to get a girlfriend?
  • mcmonkeyplc 26 Sep 2012 13:46:47 38,899 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You sick fucks...

Carry on.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 13:48:11 41,865 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Of course it's immoral, not because she's a minor, but because he's in a position of power, is potentially coercing her, and is definitely in breach of the trust her parents have put in him as her teacher.

So, illegal: check. Immoral: check. Anything else we can help with today?

• rivuzu 26 Sep 2012 13:48:56 483 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If the ages were closer together, there's actually examples of courts throwing out any charges because of the legal "grey" area of age. It's not as clearcut normally when it's say, a 20 year old and a 15 year old, because you don't know how fast each of them matured and etc.

But this big a gap? Eh...
  • Page

of 27 First / Last