Best ISP atm? Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Psychotext 20 Dec 2012 00:13:29 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know if there are coverage maps in existence anywhere outside the offices of Virgin / BT? I'm considering moving house but I'm not going anywhere that doesn't have 50mb+ broadband.

I've looked at a couple of areas but it's hard to tell by putting in random postcodes. :(
  • TVoJ 20 Dec 2012 00:19:16 2,005 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not exactly what you're looking for but still good

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/speedtest/streetstats/
  • Psychotext 20 Dec 2012 00:20:13 54,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just found this, which seems useful (and depressing) for at least Virgin Media: http://maps.thinkbroadband.com
  • Moot_Point 14 Jun 2013 14:16:41 4,347 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have been looking at internet prices and most companies practically half the monthly charge for having a landline, in comparison to just having broadband.

Can anyone who has both say if the contract they are on has any hidden charges on the phoneline part.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• ecu 7 Aug 2013 20:22:44 77,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My internet has gone to shit ever since Sky bought out my ISP (Be Unlimited). This is the third time I've had to switch ISP because of this, it's fucking annoying. All the good ISPs get gobbled up by the shit ones.
  • Pinky_Floyd 7 Aug 2013 20:34:17 8,040 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    My internet has gone to shit ever since Sky bought out my ISP (Be Unlimited). This is the third time I've had to switch ISP because of this, it's fucking annoying. All the good ISPs get gobbled up by the shit ones.
    Plusnet got gobbled by BT but are still good!  One of the few......
  • MMMarmite 7 Aug 2013 20:41:09 1,065 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ecureuil it's more a case of Be getting progressively shitter, I don't think any Be customers have actually moved over to Sky's network yet.

The main problem I have with Be at the moment is the sudden routing issues that develop knocking virtually all US sites offline, or the blocking/slow-down of video streaming for one reason or another.

Not sure whether to wait and see what Sky will be like (providing they do allow us to use our own routers and maintain static IPs) or jump ship now. Only problem with that is my town only have Be, Sky and TalkTalk providing the 'fast' services :'(
  • TheRealBadabing 7 Aug 2013 21:15:28 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been quite impressed with John Lewis Broadband. Only considered them as I got a deal when I bought my Nook but the service is very solid. I think they are reselling Plusnet but I have not noticed any of their bad practices.

UK support manned by people that know their stuff and no "traffic shaping" as part of the contract. Also helps that they are not particularly big so good email/user names are easy to find.
  • Pinky_Floyd 7 Aug 2013 21:27:08 8,040 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Plusnet have bad practices?
  • TheRealBadabing 7 Aug 2013 22:09:31 1,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, not noticed until tonight when EZTV was blocked.
  • Gruff 7 Aug 2013 22:47:41 2,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just placed an order for BT Infinity 76MB down 19MB Up, I heard when your internet is that speed you are actually living in the future when browsing.

Virgin who am with at the moment were awesome, but couldn't provide my fibre for a healthy gaming diet.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• rivuzu 7 Aug 2013 22:53:26 2,211 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing https://torrentfreak.com/uk-internet-providers-start-blocking-eztv-and-ezrss-130726/

Yup. Internet policing.
    Fucking cunts.
  • BurnoutJunkie 7 Aug 2013 23:42:24 727 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Just placed an order for BT Infinity 76MB down 19MB Up, I heard when your internet is that speed you are actually living in the future when browsing.

Virgin who am with at the moment were awesome, but couldn't provide my fibre for a healthy gaming diet.
    I joined this BT package last week, being installed next week. Moving on from O2 before the full switch to Sky. Getting BT Sport included too, which is good news. Hopefully the broadband is good. I don't really do much online gaming, just need it for standard browsing and Netflix.
  • Tomo 2 Nov 2013 22:01:54 13,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump.

Is BT Infinity the way to go these days then?

I hate the thought of giving BT more money, but from what I can tell smaller providers don't really exist these days, having been bought out.
  • Gruff 2 Nov 2013 23:05:07 2,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had an absolute nightmare trying to get BT Infinity. 3 cancelled orders by them without telling me, passed around from one liar to another from their service centers "we will call you back tomorrow sir" my arse, and when they finally fix a date to install, I take a days holiday, wait all day, engineer does not turn up then he arranges another date 3 weeks away, WITHOUT TELLING ME.

Fuck BT up the arse all the way down to hell.

Happy ending, TalkTalk have been absolute bliss, and their fiber broadband rocks!

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• ecu 2 Nov 2013 23:31:10 77,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Friend of mine had a bit of a nightmare moving from Sky to BT. Just regular broadband but BT made a massive cock up of it, somehow listed his address as a business address then took two weeks to revert it. He got an email saying his broadband was active, and a week later it still wasn't working, he ended up on the phone with them every day to get it sorted. Just a total clusterfuck on BT's part. Seems to be working okay now though, and they did refund him for the three weeks of non service.
  • MrWonderstuff 3 Nov 2013 10:41:53 1,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got BT Infinity setup in my new house and was fine - seems like magic - he just added a new faceplate to my existing phone socket and it was fine. Some people have good experiences and some bad.
  • craigy Staff 3 Nov 2013 11:30:38 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Infinity has been excellent for us -- 76 down, 12 up. Very little downtime. Plus you get free access to BT Sports TV channels which are good if you like UFC.
  • Gruff 3 Nov 2013 11:37:51 2,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait till you have to use their helplines if something goes wrong.

I work in technical support, I would be ashamed of the service they provide, particularly with the resources they have.

10 mins to get through, passed on to another department, 10 min on hold, passed to another department, 10 min on hold, arrange appointment, doesn't turn up, ad nauseum.

― Agnes Repplier

• craigy Staff 3 Nov 2013 11:54:12 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've received technical support for Infinity via their website and in person and it was pretty good. I guess customer services can be a bit of a lottery depending on who's on shift to respond to your problem.
  • Gruff 3 Nov 2013 13:15:13 2,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True enough, it was more the sales support that was a mess (to clarify), never got the damned thing installed to find out what their technical support was like

― Agnes Repplier

• Tomo 3 Nov 2013 14:16:27 13,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm. Responses are pretty much what I was expecting. There used to be a time when companies like Nildram, Freedom2Surf and Force9 got excellent write-ups, not just mixed reviews. Sigh.

Anyone have any current experience of bethere.co.uk? They used to have an amazing reputation, but they don't seem as prominent as they once were.
  • MrWonderstuff 3 Nov 2013 15:04:30 1,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

Anyone have any current experience of bethere.co.uk? They used to have an amazing reputation, but they don't seem as prominent as they once were.
    They were bought out by Sky as I recall (my mum was on it then I switched her to Virgin). They were ok but speeds were a little slow.
  • craigy Staff 3 Nov 2013 15:21:29 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remember RedHotAnt and those other free dial up services? Gosh, those were the days of truly shit internet provision. Hammering 0800 numbers every two hours.
  • Mr_Sleep 3 Nov 2013 15:40:57 17,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Be have run a perfect system for us, never had any problems and get good speeds but yes, they're now owned by Sky. I want to move to John Lewis at some convenient time.

I think broadband is becoming a good example of the free market just not working for improving choice. Unless I am mistaken I now have a choice between john Lewis and plusnet if I don't want to be signed up to the big companies.

You are a factory of sadness.

• craigy Staff 3 Nov 2013 16:51:30 7,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, I was with Be for around five years -- they were great and would recommend them. I switched to BT cos of the Sky takeover.
  • MMMarmite 3 Nov 2013 17:48:40 1,065 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:Anyone have any current experience of bethere.co.uk? They used to have an amazing reputation, but they don't seem as prominent as they once were.
    See my post nearer the top of this page, it's still the same also had a recent billing issue where they charged me £22 extra for a non-existent phone package and wouldn't refund it.

Hoping the Sky takeover will offer the same Pro features that Be currently do (and not have the same issues) if not I'll be moving to another provider, who to move to is the problem though :(
  • mrpon 3 Nov 2013 17:50:41 29,190 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Currently getting 38 Mbps on 4G. Twice as fast as my supposed fibre connection at home.

:/

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 7 First / Last