Planetside 2 Page 32

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• hypoBla5t 11 Jan 2013 08:11:16 1,427 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Morning all.

Anyone got any tips for a noob? Gonna start this up either tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers!!
  • SBfistfun 11 Jan 2013 08:50:56 124 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    SBfistfun wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    SBfistfun wrote:
    So close to ordering my pc bits and getting this!
    Good man. You'll love it
    What spec pc you got Andy and how does it run?
    Intel i5 3450 processor, 2 gig 7850 gpu, 8 gig ram. Runs at about 45-50 fps on high. Cost a total of 600 for the whole pc.
    Thanks!very similar to what I've specced :)
  • Pompeybear 11 Jan 2013 09:14:18 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @hypoBla5t Join Miller server , Vanu and send Saul a message you want to join the EG outfit (clan) , sort yourself with ventrillo for comms.

Then just play to get the hang of stuff basically :-)

Use the instant action stuff and just follow the crowd, can be quite a steep learning curve , just stick with it.

Feel free to ask questions
  • andytheadequate 11 Jan 2013 09:42:20 8,219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Best way is to just start playing and start asking questions on here when the inevitable confusion sets in!
  • Widge Moderator 11 Jan 2013 10:49:16 13,663 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @hypoBla5t Some good offline reading for you:

http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Portal:Main

It won't make sense until you start hitting battles, but try being an Engineer. When fights are cracking off over installations, you can hang back at middle distance, repairing things, supplying ammo, doing some mid-distance killing. Much more fun than running towards a building to be murdered on all sides.

Means you can also observe the ebb and flow of battle, plus get points for running around captured places repairing stuff.

Sit in the Warpgate for a while, go look at the consoles, understand that is what the icons on your hud mean.

Things to note:

* you can change your loadout & class at the infantry consoles & deployed sunderer -> you can also resupply ammo here
    * you have to buy grenades & consumable weapons
    * you have to buy vehicles, aircraft and the MAX infantry suit -> your screen should show you how many credits you have for infantry, vehicles, air... usually out of 750, which refreshes over time by a factor of how much your faction controls
    * look at the keybinds, there are a LOT of buttons -> things like H to expand mini-map, G to turn off vehicle lights, B to deploy Sunderer as a mobile spawn point (once you have bought and equipped the upgrade), P to hit Squad options... shed loads
    * look through all your cert choices and buy the ones that cost 1 cert and equip as you fancy -> this can quickly give you more ammo and 2x zoom on vehicle weapons for example
    * you can test weapons before you buy them
    * look at the map, it goes to reason that the areas along the border of your territory is where the fights can kick off - also remember the hotspot quick select down the bottom left covers all 3 continents, not just the one you are on
    * when you die, you can respawn in the area and adjoining areas to where you died (not just anywhere you control)
    * if you end up spawn camped, that installation is effectively lost - go somewhere else and re-group, maybe a totally different area if you are getting swept aside by an enemy zerg
    * you can press Alt to bring up a mouse pointer, good idea to swap to the outfit chat once you are in -> means you hear no gubbins from everyone

there are loads more strategical nuances that will come to light, but get going on that first - things will only make sense once you start to see them in game.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Rusty_M 11 Jan 2013 11:11:14 4,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    Morning all.

Anyone got any tips for a noob? Gonna start this up either tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers!!
    Also, watch the tutorial videos linked from the launcher under "getting started"

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Duffking 11 Jan 2013 21:12:10 7,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vanu on Woodman really have some fucking problems. Absolutely fucking useless.
  • Rusty_M 11 Jan 2013 21:36:09 4,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Vanu were about to wipe the Terrans off the left-most continent on Miller this evening.

• Carbon_Altered 11 Jan 2013 23:54:58 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any opinions on the best infiltrator weapon? The XM98 feels pretty good, but the bolt action slows it down. What is the nyx like?
  • Widge Moderator 12 Jan 2013 01:08:47 13,663 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't realise I had left the squad open tonight, had some fellow barking at me to unlock the spawn point cert.

Grabbed it anyway.

Then got ammo dispenser for Sundy and sharply realised that it replaced the 2 x blockade armour I had. Useless.

Had moments there where I had a sundy just pumping people out at a ridiculous rate.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Carbon_Altered 12 Jan 2013 10:12:05 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for saying no to squad invites last night - I wanted to try out infiltrator class so didn't think I'd be much use to anyone!
  • Widge Moderator 12 Jan 2013 12:05:47 13,663 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was just inviting people randomly to keep them in loop.

I don't mind having solo in the squad, in fact you may decide to join the squad to support as infiltrator!

It is an underused class for me, considering looking at it, in tandem with cloaking and spawn beacon.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• El_MUERkO 12 Jan 2013 12:11:30 17,050 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Widge Squad Spawn is great for trolling enemy sunderers when defending, land your drop pod on them for big damage drop mines/c4 and LOLs :-)
  • Clive_Dunn 12 Jan 2013 13:44:26 4,780 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bored of being killed by BR2/3 players who are incredibly good shots from long range. Yeah, of course.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2013 14:08:14 7,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    The Vanu were about to wipe the Terrans off the left-most continent on Miller this evening.
    On Woodman what happens is Vanu push to the west of the warpgate, then lose it all, then take it all, then lose it all, because every retard and his dog is fighting over the crown. Then if we get the crown, we lose every other piece of territory because nobody wants to do anything other than cert farm.

Part of the problem is that Indar is badly designed and favours the TR massively.
  • Carbon_Altered 12 Jan 2013 18:24:06 675 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I sort of invented a new game last night - it's called Enemy Territory (although Quake may have beat me to that name). Basically you select the continent most dominated by the enemy and try and hike across it. I got all the way to TR warp gate yesterday, but had great fun on the way sneaking into enemy bases or avoiding their air cover (at one point a TR fighter plane thingy landed just the other side of a tree I was sat under but somehow didn't spot me).

Anyway, it doesn't net you any xp or certs, but is a nice change of pace.

Edited by Carbon_Altered at 18:24:22 12-01-2013
  • Gl3n Moderator 12 Jan 2013 19:11:52 5,661 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Left hand Comet is on sale for 350, picked one up for some maybe anti-vehicle shenanigans.
  • Duffking 12 Jan 2013 22:31:51 7,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just created an alt NC char on Miller. 2 things:

1. Holy shit, Miller is way better populated. Genuinely considering moving my Vanu char there once the option's available.

2. Why do the NC fuss about their guns? They're pretty awesome IMO...
  • andytheadequate 12 Jan 2013 22:40:18 8,219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How do you know the server numbers? Does it say somewhere? Or are the battles just bigger?

Anyone else tempted to switch, or try another server?
  • Errol 12 Jan 2013 23:24:55 12,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Clive_Dunn

BR has nothing to do with how good someone is. If I started a new character, for instance, I would be BR1 but highly skilled and more than capable of killing anyone (with a headshot) from long distance after spinning around and jumping from a balcony etc etc. That's what comes from 20yrs of FPS experience.

Edited by Errol at 23:25:22 12-01-2013
  • Errol 12 Jan 2013 23:25:57 12,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Woodman is excellently populated as well. Always good battles on each continent.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Jan 2013 02:24:06 1,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    @Clive_Dunn

BR has nothing to do with how good someone is. If I started a new character, for instance, I would be BR1 but highly skilled and more than capable of killing anyone (with a headshot) from long distance after spinning around and jumping from a balcony etc etc. That's what comes from 20yrs of FPS experience.
    Really?

Without even bothering to figure out game-specific bullet drop or velocity? You must be some sort of FPS god.

Incidentally, Clive and I are old bastards with just as much experience as you. Some of us old buggers even used to be admins for CS b5.2 servers, so we know what a hack looks like.

Sony needs to sort this shit out soon. Fair enough, they are probably gathering intel right now but it is becoming more and more obvious.

Platitudes on the forums like "make sure you report anyone" are as bad as telling someone to turn it off and on again and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: I just realised that you could be being ironic, if so whoops. If I'm wrong about the whole irony thing, you are a fucking idiot.

Edited by TheRealBadabing at 02:26:58 13-01-2013
  • Duffking 13 Jan 2013 05:42:51 7,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    Woodman is excellently populated as well. Always good battles on each continent.
    Do you go on Amerish much :p? It's dead, 24/7 on Woodman, get a platoon going and it's not that difficult to roll the continent single handedly. People only show up when you're a few hexes from capping the continent, and then when you do cap Amerish, it just gets rolled back by someone else. You might see 70% of one faction on there, but it's funny to watch how just one squad switching continent can change the percentages so much on Amerish. Esamir is good the majority of the time. Indar is just a big fight over the crown whilst zergs rush around capturing/losing the same five bases.

It's getting stale on Woodman. NC have had the infantry bonus on Indar for over a month now, Esamir belongs to us 90% of the time and there's no action worth speaking of on Amerish.

andytheadequate wrote:
    How do you know the server numbers? Does it say somewhere? Or are the battles just bigger?

Anyone else tempted to switch, or try another server?
    If you go to create a new character the population of each server is listed as Low/Medium/High/Very High. Woodman and every other EU server is listed as Medium, Miller is Very High. I actually had a gunfight on Amerish.

Edited by DUFFKING at 05:44:35 13-01-2013
  • Rusty_M 13 Jan 2013 10:44:36 4,706 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was on Amerish on Miller last night, and it was actually pretty decent. I think there were a couple of squads rolling about at least, so there were fights, but not too many meat grinders where you can't even see the enemy because of all the plasma flying everywhere.

• Widge Moderator 13 Jan 2013 13:23:36 13,663 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember having awesome Amerish battles early days. Odd that it is unpopulated.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Gl3n Moderator 13 Jan 2013 13:54:24 5,661 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amazing prolonged battle at Tawrich. As MAX with engineer support I managed 98 kills in 30 minutes as the NC poured in. It was epic. Double cosmos constantly firing, it was like Left 4 Dead the way they came through en masse and fell to our fire.
  • Duffking 13 Jan 2013 14:31:06 7,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I remember having awesome Amerish battles early days. Odd that it is unpopulated.
    Well a lot of people flat-out hate the continent. They like Indar/Esamir because there's a nice straight road taking them from A to B almost everywhere. It's hard to get around Amerish effectively without co-ordination.
  • Pompeybear 13 Jan 2013 16:33:24 454 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buy the Lasher , it feels like everybody on the battlefield ducks when you let rip for 30 seconds with it.
  • andytheadequate 13 Jan 2013 17:04:30 8,219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love amerish, it's so unbelievably pretty. Some fun games last night, was playing with my mate and I have finally learnt how to find a fight by using the map!
  • Errol 13 Jan 2013 22:50:56 12,485 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can still find me on Woodman. Had great fun defending an amp station today.

Killing people trying to destroy the generators etc.

Love this game.
  • Page

of 64 First / Last