BBC Sports Personality of the year 2012 Page 6

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Youthist 27 Nov 2012 01:11:48 10,083 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or he actually is just a chilled out guy that doesn't care for any of celebrity bullshit. How he comes across as desperate to you is unfathomable.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 01:13:59 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    It isn't a contest to see which sportsman has the best personality.
    duh. but it doesn't hurt to be amiable either, personality seems to be the reason why some quarters on here don't want Murray to pick up the prize. well, that and the fact he's scottish...

it should be down to sporting achievement alone but that's not how us stupid emotional creatures do things.
  • Youthist 27 Nov 2012 01:15:15 10,083 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well they should change the title of the award then. Until they do, Murray is out.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• neilka 27 Nov 2012 01:22:01 16,569 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a swimsuit round?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Fab4 27 Nov 2012 05:35:29 6,216 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wiggo, then Rory (bonus points for the fact that he went to my old school :p), and 3rd between Murray & Nicola Adams.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2012 07:29:16 11,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ltbobby wrote:
    You know its so weird with Andy Murray. For some reason people dont like him and i just dont get it. When we had Henman everyone said he was posh snd boring! Then Andy comes along with a much more interesting personality and much less "posh" and yet he is slated.

I really like the fact that he is not that media savvy. He is honest and funny...and please dont even mention the World cup comment he made in jest and which was tsken out of context. How does Wiggy have a bigger personality? Or Mo? Or Ennis? They are maybe a bit more smiley but that isnt personality!
    Well said.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 08:03:49 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murray has a much more interesting personality than Henman? The one thing henman could do was charm the pants off housewives and give a good interview. COME ON TIM didn't happen by accident.

Conversely, Murray exudes the warmth and charm you would expect from am upper class Scotsman.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• JuanKerr 27 Nov 2012 08:30:33 36,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The only sportsman who comes across as dull and charmless as Murray is Steven Gerrard.
  • THFourteen 27 Nov 2012 08:36:57 34,488 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It shouldnt be wiggins because he looks like a dick

Mo or Murray IMO.

I like Murray because he doesnt pretend to be something he's not. And Mo is just class.
  • JuanKerr 27 Nov 2012 08:38:46 36,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I'm genuinely amazed that people give even half a shit about this 'award'.
    I'm genuinely amazed that you're genuinely amazed that people even give half a shit about this 'award'.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 08:40:06
    Youthist wrote:
    Well they should change the title of the award then. Until they do, Murray is out.
    Or people could know what the word personality means.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 09:15:34 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Got to be the miserable Scot for me. Was a cyclist last year. Poor reason but it's the only way I can split Murray and Wiggins!
    I'm both a tennis and cycling fan and there's no way Murray's 1 slam and olympic gold can outshadow Wiggo's achievements. First Brit to win the TDF in 100 years and more Olympic medals than any other UK athlete. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
  • monkman76 27 Nov 2012 09:18:25 5,425 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a 2012 award and they won the exact same number of medals in 2012.

Also Wiggins was helped massively by a fantastic team. Murray's wins were achieved by himself.
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 09:20:18 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    It's a 2012 award and they won the exact same number of medals in 2012.

Also Wiggins was helped massively by a fantastic team. Murray's wins were achieved by himself.
    Anyone who wins the TDF, or in fact any major GT in cycling win because of a great team. That's how cycling works, although if you can't Time Trial or climb well you don't have a hope of winning. And if it's not such a big deal why hasn't any other Brit won in over 100 years?

Edited by pistol at 09:20:51 27-11-2012
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 09:22:35 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jessica Ennis for me.

Mainly because im stalking her.

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 09:23:40 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Murray's wins were achieved by himself.
    yeah. the change of coach, his team of physios, nutritionalists and personal assistants can go fuck themselves.

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 09:24:14 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    And if it's not such a big deal why hasn't any other Brit won in over 100 years?
    Because we suck at taking drugs.

• senso-ji 27 Nov 2012 09:38:39 6,047 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    3rd Place - Andy Murray, for working his socks off in possibly the most competitive era in sport and winning the biggest titles.

2nd Place - Mo Farah for being a genuinely humble guy who stick two fingers up at the EDL/BNP/UKIP/Right wing Tories who tell us day in day out that immigration is bad for this country.

1st Place - Jessica Ennis' arse.
  • mrpon 27 Nov 2012 09:42:49 29,593 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I needed a reminder.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• pistol 27 Nov 2012 10:07:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    And if it's not such a big deal why hasn't any other Brit won in over 100 years?
    Because we suck at taking drugs.
    That's a whole new can of worms...;-)
  • dufftownallan 27 Nov 2012 10:20:31 4,725 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Conversely, Murray exudes the warmth and charm you would expect from am upper class Scotsman.
    you know him do you? or is this just an impression built up through the media he dislikes engaging with?
  • nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 10:22:05 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What else am I supposed to base it on? Im sure he sings showtunes around his house and performs ventriloquist acts round pat cash's house, but on the TV he comes across as someone with the personality of a particularly dour ballsack.

• Trane 27 Nov 2012 10:25:41 4,059 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Got to be the miserable Scot for me. Was a cyclist last year. Poor reason but it's the only way I can split Murray and Wiggins!
    I'm both a tennis and cycling fan and there's no way Murray's 1 slam and olympic gold can outshadow Wiggo's achievements. First Brit to win the TDF in 100 years and more Olympic medals than any other UK athlete. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
    Agreed, I love both tennis and cycling and am a big Murray fan. It has to be Wiggins though, for me. The fact 'it was a cyclist last year' is just irrelevant.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 10:41:40
    Also Wiggins is basically done now, whereas you get the sense Murray is really only just peaking and probably has greater things ahead of him.

It's so blatantly going to be Wiggins and deservedly so.
  • Cogsy666 27 Nov 2012 10:41:50 155 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would like to see Ellie Simmonds win but it will probably be Mo Farah or Jess Ennis.

Rock N Grohl

• nickthegun 27 Nov 2012 10:45:12 61,349 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See, if it was really a sports personality of the year competition, simmons would be in with a shout. Shes a winner, she comes across as being absolutely lovely and does loads for causes and charities.

• JuanKerr 27 Nov 2012 10:47:32 36,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    you know him do you? or is this just an impression built up through the media he dislikes engaging with?
    Would you like him if he was English?
  • monkman76 27 Nov 2012 10:58:26 5,425 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    yeah. the change of coach, his team of physios, nutritionalists and personal assistants can go fuck themselves.
    It's not the same as being in a team of other sportsmen actively aiding your performance minute by minute and you know it.
  • Trane 27 Nov 2012 11:08:04 4,059 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    It's not the same as being in a team of other sportsmen actively aiding your performance minute by minute and you know it.
    Wiggo cleared himself of the field in the TDF largely down to his exceptional performances in the time trials. He also won gold medal at the Olympic time-trial. How did his team 'actively aid his performance minute by minute' there? Stop trying to belittle his achievements.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last