Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

• Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous
  • elvenscroll 1 Sep 2012 09:18:46 1,381 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Official Site

Not a huge amount to go on at this point but the above website points to further information on the 4th September.

VG 247 writes:

Due in 2013 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 is a whole new game rather than a continuation of FF13-2, and will be the final chapter in Lightning’s story. The pink-haired heroine begins the game with just 13 days left until the Doomsday Clock ends the world.

One of the game’s core motifs is “world driven”, and some sort of social Facebook integration will be detailed at a later date. A Facebook address but at time of writing hosts a cover photo only.

Set on a chain of four islands called Navus Partus, the RPG has players traveling between destinations on a monorail. Exploration will be a major theme, there will be plenty of NPCs to interact with, and the world will alter based on a day-night cycle. The first region shown was called Luxuria in the western presentation and Lexerion in the Japanese stream; it’s not yet clear if this is a translation. The design shown had a strong retro vibe, but influences ranged from classical European to futuristic to fantasy.

The other core motif is “Lightning Returns”. Square Enix wants to bring back the Lightning of FF13 rather than FF13-2, but said the new version will be even stronger than she was in her past two games. Players will be able to customise her appearance and weapons. There will be lots of costumes – no solid number was provided, but it will be a lot more than ten or 20 – and some aspects of the costumes themselves will be adjustable.

Weapons will transform, and this mechanic will be important to gameplay. Lightning will be mobile during battle, and will be able to jump and climb around environments, but Square Enix said the RPG is not a true action title.

Attendees of the Japanese event say a trailer was shown, but photography was forbidden. More details are to be announced on September 4.

The Presentation
    Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 was announced at concurrent presentations – one at PAX Prime in Seattle, and another as part of Final Fantasy’s 25th celebrations in Shibuya.

During the Japanese event, which was live-streamed, Final Fantasy 13 project producer Yoshinori Kitase was first on stage to welcome the audience and introduce the presentation. He spoke a little about the reception of Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2, mentioning that both titles caused positive and negative reactions.

The first bit of actual news was a debunk of rumours that the new FF13 release would be a social or mobile effort, as rumoured over the past few weeks. Director Motomu Toriyama then took the stage. He posted a photo of a rose, saying that it represents the core concept of the game – but didn’t elaborate on what this means.

The game’s main programmer and art director then presented details of mechanics and style, as covered above, and show off concept art of monsters, NPCs, locations, Lightning’s costumes, and other assets including the monorail. The art director unveiled an oil painting, his first in ten years, showing Lightning perched on tiled rooftop in a European-looking city; it was quite lovely.

Toriyama then returned to introduce a recorded message from Maya Sakamoto, Lightning’s voice actor, which closed the live-streamed presentation.
    Edited by elvenscroll at 09:19:19 01-09-2012

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Sep 2012 09:24:37 37,642 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• itamae 1 Sep 2012 09:36:13 9,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Director Motomu Toriyama then took the stage. He posted a photo of a rose, saying that it represents the core concept of the game – but didn’t elaborate on what this means.
    Toriyama to development team: "Try to capture the essence of rose!"

/blank stares
  • elvenscroll 1 Sep 2012 09:48:03 1,381 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Concept videos on IGN

This whole Doomsday clock idea sounds interesting. As already pointed out though, its very Majoras Mask. What I'm not sure on though is how they will handle it. Of course,in MM you could put the time back at the expense of resetting the world.
    I cant imagine the same thing working in a Final Fantasy title. So what happens if the timer runs out?

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• MadCaddy13 1 Sep 2012 09:50:16 1,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After attempting to play the god awful FFXIII-2 I'm gonna give this a wide berth. I did like FFXIII though, but the sequel destroyed the story
  • itamae 1 Sep 2012 10:29:11 9,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    I cant imagine the same thing working in a Final Fantasy title. So what happens if the timer runs out?
    Tonberry King stabs the universe in the face.
  • elvenscroll 1 Sep 2012 10:32:43 1,381 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    elvenscroll wrote:
    Tonberry King stabs the universe in the face.
    /Preorders

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Prehensile_Plant 1 Sep 2012 10:35:00 417 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    As already pointed out though, its very Majoras Mask.
    Made me thing of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter too. I hope it doesn't involve a lot of repeating things over and over to effect a small change. Starting over several times as a part of the game concept is frustrating, and I hope they don't go near it.

I saw a lot of concepts. I hope they don't get caught up in them too much rather than making sure they translate into good gameplay.
  • JinTypeNoir 1 Sep 2012 10:45:29 4,369 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The XIII games certainly have been an interesting roller coaster ride. Very Final Fantasy-esque, this development. This series always makes me think, "What on earth are they going to think up next?" The way this generation has been kind of stalled on XIII, XIV and Versus, makes me think people are going to be so relieved when XV finally gets unveiled, that the reaction will be enormous.
  • ozthegweat 1 Sep 2012 10:47:13 199 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    By the Goddess! That's exactly what I was waiting for. I liked XIII-2, but was disappointed by LOL (Lack Of Lightning).

Imagine a rose? Well, talking about games and its development in such pretentious terms seems to me like a Japanese oddity. But, to be fair, the rose was always the theme for Lightning, at least in FFXIII. At least SE is now longer soft-petaling the concerns of fans, ha.

Anyway, I'll just say:
  • Kami 2 Sep 2012 00:37:03 2,427 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh my.

... smug overload! EVACUATE! EVACUATE!!!

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• santashi 2 Sep 2012 10:04:09 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't work out from what I've read so far whether they're ignoring the events of FFXIII-2. Presumably not. I thought this one was supposed to wrap it up somehow although I can't see the connection yet.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Rens11 2 Sep 2012 13:20:28 1,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    stop, stop its already dead

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• Ror1984 2 Sep 2012 13:44:18 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @santashi Etro's throne and New Cocoon are in the concept art for Novus Partus. But then it apparently takes place hundreds of years after XIII-2. I think they need to temper the time travel, there's very little consistency across these games, and I don't know how they expect the player to care enough to want to save a world that is so vastly different from the one XIII started out in.

Saying that, I quite like the sound of some of the mechanics they've (briefly) mentioned. I just hope they can tie it all together somehow...

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• santashi 3 Sep 2012 19:46:17 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Ror1984 Thanks for the information! I like the sound of some of the aspects of the new game, too, but it does feel like it's going to be something of a disjointed trilogy.

• spamdangled 3 Sep 2012 19:58:51 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror1984

It wouldn't surprise me if this one ties the whole thing up. The whole mission of XIII was Lightning wanting to save Serah. Then in XIII-2 that was flipped, with the universe and timelines being royally fucked up in the process.

Perhaps the end result of this one is that you end up winding the clock back, restoring Serah to life, ret-conning the end of XIII and the events of XIII-2, and returning to the original timeline having created the "ideal" outcome.

I hope so, anyway. It would be a shame to see the trilogy end on a bum note.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ror1984 3 Sep 2012 20:14:57 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @santashi - No worries. I must say I'm intrigued at the very least.

@darkmorgado - Yeah, I do wonder if the ending will just loop right back to the ending of XIII. Personally I'd be fairly happy with that, but it would leave it open for people to complain that the events of the latter two games wind up being meaningless.

• spamdangled 3 Sep 2012 20:20:20 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm, possibly but it would depend on how they do it. Nel's fate hasn't been addressed yet remember, and after the work spent developing him in the last game I'd hope they don't just disregard him in this one.

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:20:41 03-09-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Ror1984 3 Sep 2012 23:41:36 3,012 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, I'd completely forgotten about Noel, which is strange considering I found him quite likeable. That's a good point, hopefully he won't just get written out.

• santashi 4 Sep 2012 08:19:32 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought the ending of FFXIII-2 made me feel like my actions in the game had been a little pointless, so for the sake of the hours I put into it, I hope that it isn't completely discounted! ;)

• chrisno21 4 Sep 2012 09:51:18 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoyed XIII-2 but the ending was an odd choice leaving a sequal highly likely, given that the DLC was small and seemingly pointless.

I've no idea how they can tie a story together after the confusion of -2. Time travel was stopped as I remember it with everyone stuck in the future, except Serah ofcourse.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• santashi 5 Sep 2012 08:51:48 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hope is going to be in the game too, although Lightning is the only playable character. Info from Sliconera:

'Lightning is the only playable character in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, but Hope will be present in the game. He gives Lightning advice through a wireless communication device. How is Hope alive hundreds of years in the future? A chaotic influence stopped people from aging, so you’ll see characters from Final Fantasy XIII-2 in the game too.'

That's handy. ;)

More info in the article by the way. Game will be relatively short because you need to do multiple playthroughs to get your happy ending.

• Zackv4861 5 Sep 2012 17:25:07 1,084 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Argh i hate multiple playthrough!!!
  • chrisno21 5 Sep 2012 18:00:00 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounding more and more like BoF Dragon Quarter - enthusiasm lowered.

• elvenscroll 20 Dec 2012 12:56:27 1,381 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    New trailer on the front page. (On phone, link later).

Looking nice, although it looks to me that they have slowed the combat slightly. It also appears lightning now battles alone.

Not sure what to make of the platforming. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they try that in dirge of cerebus, with limited success?

Edited by elvenscroll at 12:57:07 20-12-2012

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• chrisno21 20 Dec 2012 19:07:59 1,484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

New trailer is a bit meh.

Edited by chrisno21 at 19:14:33 20-12-2012

• uiruki 20 Dec 2012 19:29:09 3,674 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking as someone who enjoyed 13 and got Platinum on 13-2, that looks pretty bad. Seems like they just shoehorned more platforming etc into the existing engine, when playing 13-2 should have clearly demostrated it really wasn't up to it. Combat looked worrying too: 13 worked for me because you were monitoring a team of three, not just directly controlling one character.
  • griff_dai 20 Dec 2012 23:24:41 418 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is 13-2 any good, I gave up on 13 half way through.....I see 13-2 dirt cheap in local Sainsburys but can't bring myself to play it.....
  • Cappy 20 Dec 2012 23:32:00 11,877 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There aren't many JRPGS going that cheap, the choice is yours.

I'd pay a bit more for something decent like Valkyria Chronicles or Xenoblade myself.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last

Previous