Windows Phone 8 Page 46

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• iancognito 14 Apr 2014 12:34:19 1,733 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "...the Cortana digital assistant is US only for now. Microsoft is promising support for the UK and China in the second half of the year...If you want to use Cortana earlier then you’ll need to set your device to the US region, which will restrict some local functionality depending on your country."

Thanks Microsoft. Thanks a lot.
  • DFawkes 14 Apr 2014 12:44:30 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    My Lumia 820 is now a Windows Phone 8.1, hooray!

... here's how you can happily get the new update early:

Windows Phone 8.1 now available to download
    Cool, thanks for the update on the update :)

Don't think I'll bother if there's no Cortana though. You'd think they'd just restrict it to the English language with a disclaimer saying "your accent might break this" or something. Still, I think changing region to US is easy enough.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Ror1984 14 Apr 2014 13:28:46 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    My Lumia 820 is now a Windows Phone 8.1, hooray!

... here's how you can happily get the new update early:

Windows Phone 8.1 now available to download

: )
    Any thoughts on 8.1, Charles?

Cortana being US-only until the second half of the year has been known about since it was announced. This is Microsoft, after all. Hopefully, when they say second half of the year they don't mean November or December -_-
  • Latin 14 Apr 2014 14:05:21 3,827 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So... I have an HTC 8X, guessing this isn't available!?
  • DFawkes 14 Apr 2014 14:20:14 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it runs 8, it runs 8.1. In an AMA, they confirmed this also included the HTC 8X so it should work. Not that it's an guarantee of course.

The server for App Studio seems to be getting hammered just now, probably because of the preview. It mostly just outright doesn't load, and when it does it needs your password a heck of a lot. When it doesn't crash, it just tells me I'm already registered, which isn't the case.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Latin 14 Apr 2014 14:25:50 3,827 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So when does this roll out if you're not a developer?
  • Dizzy 14 Apr 2014 14:39:57 2,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In a few months.
  • Dizzy 14 Apr 2014 14:40:59 2,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Latin wrote:
    So... I have an HTC 8X, guessing this isn't available!?
    Yes it is... I am running 8.1 on the 8X right now.
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Apr 2014 15:39:59 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ror1984

There are three things that stood out to me during my brief-ish play around with Windows Phone 8.1:

a) My eighteen months old Lumia 820 is a totally NEW phone altogether.

I know plenty of folks say 'Windows Phone never lags' and whilst it doesn't per se, it definitely took longer to get out of Internet Explorer or chatting to someone on Skype to the home screen for example: - 8.1 is genuinely buttery smooth. It also has new animations when you go to and fro various menus and sub-menus ... it's the little things that makes it that much better.

b) This is a big deal for me as my Lumia 820 only has a measly 8GB of phone memory therefore I had to compromise with some of the 'heavier' apps and be a little bit more aggressive with my photos (although SkyDrive helped me out sometimes). Now however, because of the possibility of moving all of your apps onto the SD card, it means I no longer have to prioritise juggling between apps and re-downloading things what I wish to keep on my phone for good.

It is a small revelation for me!

c) The UI itself. It has been given a much needed polish; the apps have been tidied up and decluttering the unnecessary blank spaces and you are also given more choice in how you wish to present your home page with photos or backgrounds as the tiles themselves. Makes you feel like this phone is YOUR phone.

... I know some of you folks are looking to upgrade their phones soon-ish, the Lumia 930 in particular, but after this rather grand update, I surprised myself in thinking I no longer need nor want a new Windows Phone device because the 8.1 update has gifted my 18 months old phone a new lease of life.

And I am happy about that.

p.s. One niggle, mind. I wish the store differentiates the apps you have actually paid for as oppose to the free ones you downloaded; that is one thing I like about Apple and their App Store over how Microsoft does it. Maybe next time, hmm?
  • mikew1985 14 Apr 2014 15:45:14 13,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm if Cortana is US only, how does the fella sitting in front of me at work have it?

I'd ask him but it would involve an overly long description of how everything Windows phone is great.

Also I'm guessing it's probably a simple region switch like xbox one. In which case why would that stop anyone going for it if they want to use Cortana?

Edited by mikew1985 at 15:46:48 14-04-2014
  • iancognito 14 Apr 2014 15:45:51 1,733 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He's set his phone to be a US region one?
  • mikew1985 14 Apr 2014 15:47:53 13,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I figure, so whats the reason people aren't bothered with the update due to wanting Cortana if it's an easy toggle to get the feature?
  • oceanmotion 14 Apr 2014 15:48:04 16,129 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Set your phone to US region and interface language to US.
  • Ror1984 14 Apr 2014 16:01:21 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Cheers, sounds like a good update. I've just been skimming WPCentral's review as well. How are you finding the Action Centre? Useful?

Moving apps to SD is great, but Nokia seem to dislike adding SD slots to their flagships - my 920 doesn't have one and neither does the 930. I'm generally ok with 32GB (and it just means I am a bit more choosy about what I put on my phone rather than dumping everything on it just because I can), but the option would be helpful.
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Apr 2014 18:15:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Action Centre is a welcome addition however, after getting so used to it not being there after using my iPad or my brothers Nexus 5, it is not as a significant bonus for me as it probably may well be for you folks.

... preschool drawn icons aside, I liked the jump from iOS 6 to iOS 7, but Windows Phone 8.1 had more things to sort out therefore this new update feels like a big step forward. I am still toying around with the refreshed UI and find those little changes all the more appealing.

You guys are in for a treat!

p.s. The background photos for the wallpaper or lock screen have seemingly been replaced by some new ones, some of which are not as good unfortunately ... boo-hoo.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 18:21:00 14-04-2014
  • Mageme 14 Apr 2014 19:16:26 2,047 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll probably try updating tonight. Any major setbacks of setting the region as US?

I'm having second thoughts about the 930. Starting to look at the 1520 instead.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Ror1984 14 Apr 2014 19:44:28 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Action Centre is a welcome addition however, after getting so used to it not being there after using my iPad or my brothers Nexus 5, it is not as a significant bonus for me as it probably may well be for you folks.

... preschool drawn icons aside, I liked the jump from iOS 6 to iOS 7, but Windows Phone 8.1 had more things to sort out therefore this new update feels like a big step forward. I am still toying around with the refreshed UI and find those little changes all the more appealing.

You guys are in for a treat!

p.s. The background photos for the wallpaper or lock screen have seemingly been replaced by some new ones, some of which are not as good unfortunately ... boo-hoo.
    I don't particularly need an action centre to be honest - everything I need to know about is pinned to the home screen and that works well enough for me. It does look handy for aggregating everything though, as well as adding the quick-toggle things for stuff like wifi etc - I think I'd use it for that more than anything else.
  • Vice.Destroyer 14 Apr 2014 21:31:16 5,965 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the day that 8.1 gets released, my missus puts my HTC 8X in the washing machine.

I switched to a Note 3 as my primary phone some time ago, but I would have still liked to have tried this out.
  • Ror1984 14 Apr 2014 21:32:56 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That looks deliberate...
  • Mageme 14 Apr 2014 22:38:48 2,047 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Store is down for me so can't download the preview for developers app. Ah well, will try again tomorrow.

EDIT: 8.1 baby!

Edited by Mageme at 08:43:39 15-04-2014

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• DFawkes 15 Apr 2014 11:16:33 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I couldn't get it to work this morning as the update server was getting hammered, but it seems to be working now. I've done the update preparation update, now it's the update itself. I'm mostly doing it for the ability to save apps to SD Card, as some games can be huge and take up the internal memory very quickly.

• CharlieStCloud 15 Apr 2014 11:40:03 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The ability to shrink the icons is a welcome addition, but not on a 4.5 inch screen though.

... I tried it for five minutes and I was mishitting the microscopically tiny squares to the point that I reverted it back to its old self. The photo background thingmabobbins doesn't look quite as nice when you have lots of small squares on a small(er) sized display too.

The store was indeed causing me problems yesterday evening, but it is perfectly fine now!

For those of you who are um'ing, ah'ing and pondering over buying a new Windows Phone device soon-ish, I'd update your phone to 8.1 first to see if you have second thoughts about pursuing a new phone in the foreseeable future, just like me.
  • Baihu1983 15 Apr 2014 12:23:39 3,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shit. Dropped my Lumia 925 and its got a bit crack on the bottom right.

No point paying for a new one with my upgrade available end of next month but still annoyed as I could have sold it.
  • DFawkes 15 Apr 2014 12:36:42 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could still get something for it from one of those selling site, can't you? £24.40 for a non-working which I think a broken screen counts as, which would be enough for a few apps or a new case.

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 15:08:38 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm considering updating to 8.1 tonight, but have a question re: changing region to US for Cortana. I've never changed it, so does it affect anything (maps, local scout etc - basically, any of the local/location based services)?
  • DFawkes 15 Apr 2014 15:46:00 24,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think so. I'm actually in the middle of it right now, and it does trigger yet another update on top of the first 2. I wouldn't think location services would matter though, they should still take it from your location.

• Ror1984 15 Apr 2014 15:52:10 4,271 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DFawkes Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but thought I'd ask just in case. I'm actually halfway through the first update myself now.
  • Page

of 58 First / Last