Learning to make websites - noob seeks advice

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Garfy 29 Aug 2012 16:29:21 692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi, I'm looking to learn web design and I was wondering what teaching methods and software people would recommend.

E.g. has anyone used the Alison free training courses and are they any good?

Cheers
  • AcidSnake 29 Aug 2012 16:30:45 7,290 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's been years since I was learning this but I can say that PHP is the way to go instead of just plain HTML...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• FanBoysSuck 29 Aug 2012 17:28:20 1,534 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Depends on what kind of sites your looking at doing. Best practice, at least according to google, is JavaScript for client side interaction, CSS for styling and HTML for the framework. If your doing stuff that needs a database add php to that list.

Google university has some good tutorials. Code academy is a good site for learning as well.

For the emperor!

• myiagros 4 Oct 2012 17:08:20 1,348 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd say get an understanding of CSS with static HTML to start with, then introduce some jQuery into the equation (simpler than full blown JavaScript).

PHP is undoubtedly extremely usefull and powerful, but can come later. If you go straight for PHP it introduces a lot of complexities, which makes debugging CSS & jQuery problems quite difficult for beginners.

Firebug should be your best friend. It's great for understanding an issues with your own pages, and for working out how people did things on other sites.
    https://getfirebug.com
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next