Surely it's time for simultaneous releases? (I really hate the cinema)

• Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 23 Jul 2012 15:07:52 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love films but I fucking hate the cinema. If someone came up to me and offered me the opportunity to pay between 10 and 15 quid to sit in a dark room, a gnats dick away from total strangers and listen to them whisper at each other, listen to them eat the noisiest foods ever conceived by man (a high percentage of which will also stink), watch them play on their mobile phones or hear they're hilarious ring tones but in return I'd get to see 30 minutes of adverts followed by a film...well, I'd punch that someone in the face. I really hate the cinema.

Fairly obviously this limits my exposure to new films and I can't understand why. I don't know how the movie distribution business works (aside from the idea that cinemas don't make much money showing the film but selling the extras - no idea if that is true) but I don't understand for the life of me why film producers like Warners, Universal, Disney etc don't have their own online platform for showing new movies at release.

Not even their own platforms (which, given the example of Origin might not be a great idea anyway), but third party providers have some huge companies operating them. Surely there is more competition between Netflix, LoveFilm, Amazon, Zune etc than there is between Odeon and another cinema chain I can't actually name because I've only ever been to an Odeon. I can't really see any way that releasing movies online at the same time as theatrical releases wouldn't make producers more money as more people would be able to see the film. I can't be the only person who would prefer to watch new releases from the comfort of my own home?

I understand that the cinema is an 'experience' that you buy into these days, but too often it is a pretty bad one. With the amount of connectivity in the world and the penetration of online streaming in many homes shouldn't we start seeing major films released online?

This rant contains a genuine question somewhere.

Edited by Shikasama at 15:08:24 23-07-2012

Edited by Shikasama at 15:09:05 23-07-2012
  • DaM 23 Jul 2012 15:11:46 12,634 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't like cinemas either. I don't like American upselling, being bombarded with other questions when I buy something. Just give me a fucking seat. And popcorn. And that 7ft tall bloke that always sits in front of me.
  • BinaryBob101 23 Jul 2012 15:13:36 21,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, it's moving that way. there are more simultaneous releases than ever. Ok, most of these are lower-budget fims, but the window from cinema release to DVD/Blu-ray is smaller than ever too, generally about three months.

Maybe you should plan your cinema visits more strategically? It's never possible to escape the dickheads completely, but you can minimise the problem. Also, more folk need to stop moaning and take action on offenders. We've become too scared as a nation to speak out - we think everybody carries a knife, when that's far from the truth. Complain to the manager and get others to sort it if you're worried about intervening yourself.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 15:15:18 23-07-2012

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Deleted user 23 July 2012 15:17:39
    If you are in the position to do so, shop around at cinemas. Some employ ushers, some have rules, and some sell non crunchy foods etc.

I normally go to see films on last showings or on a thurs a week after release and its normally only a couple of people in the cinema. It's bliss.

Last night was the first time in a while were i been in a packed cinema (Dark knight rises) and there were no issues really. no phones going off, complete silence. It was actually nice to sit in a room before hand and sort of take in the atmosphere of the anticpation of the film, and actually during the film as well. I do miss that, but i rather have a qieut viewing where i can sit on my own. in a pratically empty cinema.

Its probably a difficult times for cinemas. It def a experience place which needs to stay, but the core of its is dying as it. Projectors are become digital, the whole motion of cinema in that regard is dying. There seems to be few places that play classics, or have double bills, or even film seasons. Where i live in cornwall, theres not really a art house cinema either, sometimes falmouth has wider releases, but bus times are shit and i can't really see them.

I think studios would lose money if they had open release platforms as you suggest like that. In a sense, as it now, you are sellign a film twice, once in the cinema, and again on dvd/blu ray release. Its quite a big thing now, especially with the notion of home cinema. Projectors are cheapish, hd tvs are now affordable. I think film studios need that double release. First weekend sales would shoot up for sure, but maybe over all sales would be down.

Edited by joelstinton at 15:19:34 23-07-2012
  • Blakester 23 Jul 2012 15:22:54 3,373 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As a father of young kids, the opportunity to watch the latest releases at home would be massively welcome. We don't get a night off often so there is obviously some enjoyment from the occasion of visiting a cinema, but the pitfalls you list can genuinely ruin the experience and these days it aint cheap.

Too often I sit in a cinema thinking that I'd get a better audio and visual experience sitting at home. Watching TDKR on Saturday I kept thinking "I'd get deeper blacks on my TV".

The challenge is that the studios like people to pay twice for watching the film. Simultaneous releases would significantly reduce the number of cinema punters and you can bet your life the cost of DVD, Blu-rays and digital downloads would go up to compensate.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Mr-Brett 23 Jul 2012 15:26:34 12,681 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It would kill cinemas overnight. Can't get tickets for the day of release? ok I'll just stream it to my TV and not see it at the cinema. The cinema is 20 minutes away? fuck that, I'm not getting off the sofa.

Also 10-15 for one viewing in a house with potentially any (reasonable) number of people or 7-15 per person at the cinema (granted the studio won't get all of that).

Cinemas can be a great experience and it's not one I'd like to see disappear.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Shikasama 23 Jul 2012 15:27:48 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I should probably clarify something - in my original post I was actually envisioning keeping the same time scale between release - dvd - Sky - TV. I really do mean it in it's simplest form in that at release, you could watch it online for a number of weeks, then it'd be taken down as per a normal staggered release schedule. So in essence Netflix would be the cinema type of thing.

I definitely don't see how more people seeing films at release could result in less people seeing the film or lower DVD sales, but I don't think I made what I was on about very clear.
  • BinaryBob101 23 Jul 2012 15:32:04 21,983 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How much would you charge for a Day 1 viewing then?

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• Shikasama 23 Jul 2012 15:34:30 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    It would kill cinemas overnight. Can't get tickets for the day of release? ok I'll just stream it to my TV and not see it at the cinema. The cinema is 20 minutes away? fuck that, I'm not getting off the sofa.

Also 10-15 for one viewing in a house with potentially any (reasonable) number of people or 7-15 per person at the cinema (granted the studio won't get all of that).

Cinemas can be a great experience and it's not one I'd like to see disappear.
    The bolded part is something I hadn't actually considered and is a good point.

As for the killing cinema sovernnight bit, (obviously) my personal opinion is one of not caring for the reasons above. It's like the arguments that were used for the comic industries excruciatingly slow adoption of a proper digital service in that it would kill comic book shops.

It isn't their business to keep cinemas alive for the sake of it, it's their business to make money. People who genuinely love the cinema would still be able to go. It might be that they make such oodles of cash out of cinemas that they wouldn't consider anything else I just find that quite hard to believe.

Edit: BinaryBob - Whatever, keep it exactly the same if you want. Price isn't my beef.

Edited by Shikasama at 15:36:52 23-07-2012
  • ecureuil 23 Jul 2012 15:37:45 76,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree completely. What fucks me off these days, is that so many films show trailers of the film you're about to see. Before The Avengers I was treated not only to a trailer of the film (which spoiled almost every action sequence) but a short 'behind the scenes' interview with the cast.

I had a similar thing with Indiana Jones 4, where they had trailers and cross promotions that all featured the famous theme tune. Some arseholes even started "singing" along to it. Fuck the cinema.
  • Load_2.0 23 Jul 2012 15:43:01 18,241 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the cinema, enjoy the whole experience. I will watch specific movies at quieter times if I am particularly interested, others I am happy to sit in a full theatre.

I am with Mr-Brett.
  • Mr-Brett 23 Jul 2012 15:43:05 12,681 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You make some valid points about the negatives of the cinema experience and I do understand, a film can be ruined in those situations but I was just adding my own opinion that I think there are substantial benefits too.

I'm not saying the cinema has to survive or that it's anyone's but their own job to keep them open, merely that it might not be great for the industry and I would not welcome their closure.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deckard1 23 Jul 2012 15:44:52 25,547 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't see film studios getting behind something that makes pirating new films even easier

Called it

• ecureuil 23 Jul 2012 16:02:38 76,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shouldn't let the threat of piracy get in the way of progress. I think it would also serve to reduce piracy in some ways, too.
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 16:05:10
    If you go at slightly more anti social times then this isn't much of an issue. Friday afternoons and Saturday mornings are great.

Going Friday/Saturday evenings is just asking for trouble, other people are going out as groups to have fun together.
  • kalel 23 Jul 2012 16:08:15 84,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Simultaneous releases will happen. It'll do the pirate industry a lot of damage, although that's probably mitigated by the drop in cinema attendance.
  • mrpon 23 Jul 2012 16:10:43 27,680 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Same problems at home just not total strangers. If anything it's worse, as the phone/tablet/laptop comes out, knocks at the door, kids crying, pets getting in the way, pause for piss breaks etc..

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2012 16:12:32 4,700 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love my cinema!

I think Shikasama just has a rubbish cinema, that's all ...

... : )
  • Blakester 23 Jul 2012 16:12:43 3,373 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In reality, what is the advantage of seeing a film at the cinema?

I have comfier seating at home, MUCH cheaper snacks, better viewing experience when watching a Blu-ray, can see it in 3D and my system has comparable sound. I don't need to spend money on petrol to get there and I don't have to worry about sitting next to a psycho (depends on the mood of the missus though I guess). Hell I can even go for a piss and not miss anything.

That just leaves the experience of seeing it with a group of people.

The more I think about it, the more I'm for simultaneous releases.

• RedSparrows 23 Jul 2012 16:13:06 20,765 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only go to smaller cinemas, where I wear a beret and pour red wine all over myself as I laugh at the wonderful wit of French existentialist rom-coms.

The first part is true, and makes it much more fun for me.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:13:26 23-07-2012
  • disusedgenius 23 Jul 2012 16:17:06 5,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    The screen, sound and blacked out room. No distractions so you can lock in to the film properly. All in theory anyway, if you can find the right cinema the home setup just isn't comparable.
  • neilka 23 Jul 2012 16:20:35 14,980 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I love my cinema!
    Is there a deluxe ticket where patron Clive Owens will gob you off in the back row?
  • SolidSCB 23 Jul 2012 16:20:49 5,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I absolutely detest the cinema too. How a human being can't be the fuck quiet for 2 hours is beyond me. It reminds me of times in school when you'd get to watch a video during a lesson, and no matter how shite the video was, every cunt in the room would completely over emphasise their reaction towards it. "OOOOH!, AHHH!", singing along to the theme tune and shouting out what happens next if you've already seen it. You wouldn't act like that at home, shut your fucking arse.

I'd just be happy if BluRay/DVD releases were a bit sooner after a cinema release. I know the stagger between Cinema/Home release is getting a bit closer these days, but I can't tell you how many times I've really wanted to see a film when it is first released at a cinema, but completely forgetting about it when it hits no mans land 3-4 weeks after release. By the time it eventually comes out on BluRay, my interest has waned and I never end up picking it up.
  • monkehhh 23 Jul 2012 16:22:14 3,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Went to see TDKR this morning, student VIP seat was 6 quid and the number of people there was bearable. Sometimes the cinema experience can be brilliant - big screen action, comedy where everyone in the room is laughing, cult films where everyone's there cos they love the film. Or it can be shit - quite a few people I know just go out of habit and they probably don't care about the experience or annoying other people.
  • Blakester 23 Jul 2012 16:37:12 3,373 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    The screen, sound and blacked out room. No distractions so you can lock in to the film properly. All in theory anyway, if you can find the right cinema the home setup just isn't comparable.
    Well it is comparable if I can replicate the same experience or better in my own home.

Big HDTV, decent surround system, lights off, kids asleep. How's that not comparable?

I would also argue that taking the viewing distances into consideration, my TV would give a better picture.

• disusedgenius 23 Jul 2012 16:41:25 5,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Big HDTV, decent surround system, lights off, kids asleep. How's that not comparable?
    It's not big enough, loud enough or blacked out. Not unless you have an actual cinema in your house, of course. :)

Edit: I'd also argue that it's a too familiar environment and that the distance from the screen actually makes quite a difference in terms of viewing the image, negatively in terms of having a smaller, sharper image right in front of you. It doesn't quite create the same kind of vista effect.

Edited by disusedgenius at 16:42:53 23-07-2012
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 16:46:00
    ssh root@brain
    apt-get install patience
  • mrpon 23 Jul 2012 16:47:22 27,680 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Volume you want it at: ----------------------------------------------[]--

Volume the wife wants it at: ----[]--------------------------------------

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 23 Jul 2012 16:48:54 7,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm all for simultaneous release -- it'll mean more people will stay home and there'll be fewer people in the cinema to bother me with their mobile phones and oversized heads.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Previous