Google Nexus Page 4

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• robthehermit 23 Jul 2012 19:48:52 3,966 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guardian Review

Good, but not great, buy an ipad instead.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Mr-Brett 23 Jul 2012 20:04:22 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Guardian Review

Good, but not great, buy an ipad instead.
    "At the end of the day, the Nexus 7 is a good tablet. It may even be a great tablet."
    :)

Interesting thoughts (I'm not sure I'd call it a review) on the Nexus 7.

Portable view - Never forget.

• TheSaint 23 Jul 2012 20:05:45 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Posted by
    Matthew Baxter-Reynolds
    That name just screams Apple loving hipster.
  • zisssou 23 Jul 2012 20:08:43 587 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The reason I bought a Nexus is because I don't have to use iTunes
  • sport 23 Jul 2012 20:32:16 12,538 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Guardian journos have always been super Apple fanboys.
  • uiruki 23 Jul 2012 22:13:31 3,658 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Charles Arthur's review of it was pretty hilarious, also of the Graun.
  • L0cky 23 Jul 2012 22:23:48 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mini Review:

Been using mine a lot since I got it.

Our iPad 2 has sat gathering dust since Christmas, except when I need to test our software on it; which was the backup reason for buying it for the missus. She uses it to take unimportant photos now and then as it's easier to post them directly to Facebook, but that's about it.

Size:
    A lot of people were wondering what the point of a 7" device is but I've found it to be the perfect size for a tablet. It's small enough to use 1 handed which makes it a lot more comfortable than a full tablet (it's a touch smaller than a kindle kb for comparison); and big enough, with a high dpi and screen quality that makes it enjoyable to use in a way that can't be had with a phone.

Every time I used the iPad I always wondered why I don't just open my laptop. Same convenience, much better experience. I never feel that way with the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 actually does fit in all of my normal sized pockets - not in a way that you can sit comfortably unless you have especially big pockets, but for taking it from A to B without a bag it's a lot more convenient than trying to carry a full tablet under your arm.

Software:
    Jellybean makes iOS feel archaic. Widgets can now be resized (if they support it), and they're big enough to be really useful. They feel more like running apps now, rather than fancy app shortcuts. Unlike apps I found there is a lack of updated widgets that take advantage of the bigger screen but I expect them to come.

I'm not missing the lack of rear camera; or any particular apps from the app store but obviously it's depends greatly on what you want.

All of the major stuff I wanted was there, GMail (obviously), Skype, Dropbox, Spotify, Calendar, ability to read all MS Office documents including powerpoint presentations; pdf's; ssh client for emergencies; text editor; samba client for grabbing local files wirelessly; movie player for mkv/mp4; Flipboard (works a charm). So far I haven't thought of a single thing I wanted or needed and there wasn't a great app for it already.

The Kindle app works great. I was going to suggest to Amazon that they let you use the volume controls to turn pages then you can use it one handed like the hardware kindles - then I saw the option was already there! The actual Kindle is still better for reading as it's easier on the eyes but this allows me take one device when going away instead of two.

All of the apps I got seemed to have been made for 7" and a few looked drastically different to their mobile versions. Skype and Spotify especially make use of the extra screen space.

Only 1 app (GPS Status) was identical to the phone version but even that looked great as Android increases the font and vector sizes rather than upscales the screen (as the iPad does for iPhone apps).

Spotify now makes use of the lock screen so you don't have to unlock to pause / skip. I'm not sure if this is a feature of Jellybean or something I just hadn't seen before; but it's a nice touch.

Games:
    I haven't really tried them to be honest. I'll have to do some research into Android games. I did try Dead Trigger though, and it's nice and smooth, and looks great thanks to Tegra 3 (see the vid below); I just can't stand touch controls for these types of games.

Extras:
    - Battery life is solid. I charge it every 2-3 days with frequent use.
    - Video playback is fantastic. Transformers fails as a movie but it looks great and plays back and seeks perfectly. Movies I downloaded elsewhere work great too (as does the android torrent app I found).

Downsides:
    - I find the wake button to be in a strange place. Can't describe how as it's pretty simple, but I always find myself searching for it for some reason.
    - No external storage. I don't really find this a problem though as you have plenty of options. Use an SMB client, or Dropbox, or plug it into your pc and transfer files and you're good to go; and synching music with Spotify is easy.

tl;dr: 9.5/10

Edited by L0cky at 22:27:20 23-07-2012
  • neilka 23 Jul 2012 22:38:53 15,632 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone found a non-shit case/cover for it yet?
  • caligari 23 Jul 2012 22:39:32 16,988 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds great - thanks for the review, Locky.

STILL holding off until Amazon stock it.
  • mrpon 23 Jul 2012 23:32:56 28,424 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lock, you tried Zinio? Readable without zooming?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• TheSaint 24 Jul 2012 00:45:47 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found that I needed to zoom in slightly to comfortably read magazines in zinio.
  • L0cky 24 Jul 2012 00:52:51 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Horizontally it shows double page, and it's not really readable.

Vertically it shows single page and it is readable; the fonts are fully rendered but it's a bit too small for comfort. Double tap to snap zoom in/out works though.

The publishers will have to make editions specifically for this aspect ratio and size I think.

Images above are lower than the native res; (right click->view image to see full res), but physically larger than the device. A confusing combination and possibly misleading either way.

At least you can see the aspect ratio.

Edited by L0cky at 00:57:05 24-07-2012
  • glo 26 Jul 2012 11:34:51 3,421 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got an email from tesco that I can go and pick up my nexus now. Hurray!

Any tips or recommendations on apps/games from those already in possession of a nexus?
  • madwlf 26 Jul 2012 12:05:38 74 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thinking about selling off my aging ipad 1 to get one of these. Never really used it to its full potential and think the Nexus would be more suited to my needs.
    All I would use it for is lots of youtube viewing, the kindle reader and some light browsing. Should be okay for this?
  • THFourteen 26 Jul 2012 12:23:09 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Mini Review:

9.5/10
    wow

you've only left yourself 0.5 for the ipad mini.

there will need to be a wider gap

:)
  • silentbob 26 Jul 2012 13:30:47 28,947 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Horizontally it shows double page, and it's not really readable.

Vertically it shows single page and it is readable; the fonts are fully rendered but it's a bit too small for comfort. Double tap to snap zoom in/out works though.

The publishers will have to make editions specifically for this aspect ratio and size I think.

Images above are lower than the native res; (right click->view image to see full res), but physically larger than the device. A confusing combination and possibly misleading either way.

At least you can see the aspect ratio.
    It's one of the advantages of the Apple form factor. A dedicated home button instead of sacrificing not an inconsiderable amount of screen for OS controls definitely works better IMO. Would make the difference between legible and illegible in some cases.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Mr-Brett 26 Jul 2012 13:36:39 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree although there is good reason for them being there. I do wish Apple devices had the menu and back buttons though, I find them very useful on my phone and often miss them when I use iThings.

Portable view - Never forget.

• THFourteen 26 Jul 2012 13:44:37 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    since i got my note, i have started pressing on my ipad where the back button should be, sometimes it takes me two or three presses to remember.

but on the plus side, touching the top of safari to go to the top of the page is something i will miss forever.
  • mrpon 26 Jul 2012 14:05:30 28,424 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Missed those posts, thanks Lock.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• L0cky 27 Jul 2012 01:44:32 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    It's one of the advantages of the Apple form factor. A dedicated home button instead of sacrificing not an inconsiderable amount of screen for OS controls definitely works better IMO. Would make the difference between legible and illegible in some cases.
    It's probably not what you meant, but just in case there was some confusion... I was purposefully not zooming for mrpon, so most of the black area in that shot is actually the background of the app rather than the home controls.

For clarity:

Edit: Hmm, they actually still look bigger in the screenshot than on the device. Wonder if it's a rendering issue or just my imagination.

Edited by L0cky at 01:50:38 27-07-2012
  • L0cky 27 Jul 2012 02:17:59 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some more things I've been doing:

Face unlock: Works a charm, just be sure to take the initial capture holding the device the same way you would when you start using it. The first time I held it up to eye level like it tells you to, but that makes it not much more convenient to unlock than just using the unlock pattern. I tried again from a natural position and it works perfectly.

Google: Don't know what else to call it, that's what it's called - it's basically Google's version of Siri but is a lot better than Siri. I have a Scottish accent and it works surprisingly well.

Things I asked it:

Where is Café Nero (nearest branded shop I could think of).
    Showed an image of Google Maps with the shop pointed out down the road.

Give me walking directions to Café Nero
    Failed, I didn't have a GPS lock so it gave me directions to the town centre.

Show me pictures of puppies
    Showed me pictures of puppies \o/

Show me pictures of boobies
    Showed me google search instead :(

Wake me up at 7.30 in the morning
    Speaks saying Setting alarm then sets a once only alarm for 7.30am

Remind me about dinner in 5 minutes
    Same, and sets an alarm for 5 minutes with the title 'dinner'.

Direction to London
    Says Getting directions then shows driving directions to London on Google Maps.

Listen to Daft Punk
    Opens Spotify and plays Daft Punk - didn't expect this one to work.

Stop listening to Daft Punk
    Doesn't work :/

Watch Transformers
    After Daft Punk I was quite surprised that this doesn't work. It does a web search for Transformers.

Who wrote Player of Games?
    Says in voice Iain Banks wrote Player of Games.

Who directed The Godfather?
    The Godfather was directed by Francis Ford Copolla.

What time is it?
    The time is 2:12 am.

What's the weather like tomorrow?
    Showed me a weather card for the local area for the next 5 days. Only issue was the temperature was in farenheit but I guess I can configure that somewhere.

Quite impressed :) I will take requests!
  • L0cky 27 Jul 2012 02:21:25 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How far away is the sun?
    He spoke to me again: The sun is 92.960,000 miles from the Earth.

I'll stop now. :p
  • mal 27 Jul 2012 03:22:41 22,333 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    'Show me pictures of stallions'

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• L0cky 27 Jul 2012 03:28:57 1,499 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Show me pictures of stallions
    Showed me pictures of thousands (mostly abstract art).

Show me pictures of stallions
    Showed me pictures of aliens.

Show me pictures of STALLIONS
    Showed me pictures of aliens.

$%^%$&^%
    Showed Google Search Results with Urban Dictionary: Fuck sakes as the top result.

Show me pictures of Stall - ee - ons
    Showed me pictures of stallions.

It works :champ:

Edited by L0cky at 03:29:27 27-07-2012
  • mal 27 Jul 2012 03:36:46 22,333 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• AaronTurner 27 Jul 2012 07:22:43 7,591 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't have a problem with on screen buttons at all, don't they just take up space that normally wouldn't be there in landscape view? As in the 80 pixel height that makes the resolution 800 instead of 720?
  • ilmaestro 27 Jul 2012 07:32:20 32,406 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That does sound good reading L0cky's impressions... what's this about being able to get it at Tesco?

• caligari 27 Jul 2012 08:03:47 16,988 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is the £15.00 of Google Play credit an offer than is likely to expire soon?
  • Murbal 27 Jul 2012 08:13:07 21,920 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    F*** it. I'm selling my 3DS and getting one.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last