Google Nexus Page 24

• Page

of 53 First / Last

• mikew1985 1 Jan 2013 14:09:32 12,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jagg3r wrote:
    Just got the splashtop gamepad app, its gift, can now go to bed and play my pc games on my nexus. Streams brilliantly and i have a wireless dongle for my xbox controller which works no problem even upstairs(pc in sitting room downstairs).With a toddler in the house my game time in front of the tv has been severely cut and this is brilliant for me. Takes a bit of tweaking to get it right but well worth it, have tried Skyrim, mark of the ninja and farcry3, all worked flawlessly. Highly recommend to anyone who just cant get the time to sit down and play games without disruption.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote.pad.thd&hl=en
    Oh God. Have wanted a nexus for ages. Sold now.
  • bauhaus 1 Jan 2013 21:28:27 3,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My missis got me a Nexus 10 for crimbo.

Its ace.
  • BurnoutJunkie 1 Jan 2013 21:48:07 706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello.

Hoping to get some advice. I'm looking to get a Nexus 7 for my niece's birthday later this month, and want some reassurance that it can be set up easily for a child with some good controls in place (she's turning 7).

- will she need to be set up with a Google account? In my opinion, she doesn't really need one, and am hoping I can avoid this.

- if the above can be done, how do I go about buying her apps? Is it possible to buy a gift card?

- I understand there are games like Angry Birds which are free, but I guess these are ad supported (there doesn't seem to be a pay version). Anything I can do to block / hide ads to avoid my niece clicking on these?

Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone know of anywhere that is selling the 16GB Nexus at non overblown prices? Seems to be out of stock most places.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Jan 2013 22:18:08 37,677 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    - will she need to be set up with a Google account? In my opinion, she doesn't really need one, and am hoping I can avoid this.
    If you want to download apps/books/mags/music from the app store, yes. It uses the "Google Play" store.

- if the above can be done, how do I go about buying her apps? Is it possible to buy a gift card?
    I don't know about this.

- I understand there are games like Angry Birds which are free, but I guess these are ad supported (there doesn't seem to be a pay version). Anything I can do to block / hide ads to avoid my niece clicking on these?
    They either use micro-transactions or are ad supported, but I wouldn't have thought there's any way to block them.

Anyone know any different?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• theguy 1 Jan 2013 23:11:07 653 posts
    Seen 35 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It isn't possible to buy gift cards as of yet and you would likely have to pay by credit card (mobile network providers are also an option). Google have rolled out gift cards elsewhere though (not in the UK, only in the US) and there is now a redeem option in the google play store so it is possible that gift cards are coming to the UK soon although nothing has been confirmed.

As for blocking ads, if i'm not mistaken, it's only possible if you root the device and install something such as adfree (i think that's the name). You must root the device first though. Alternatively, you could buy the ad free version

Edited by theguy at 15:59:05 02-01-2013
  • eleven63 1 Jan 2013 23:12:20 1,601 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BurnoutJunkie Yes you/she needs a Google account to make it work best - I set one up for my eldest son but had to attach it to my main Gmail account(it seems that if you are below a certain age then Google says no... is that right??) I'm assuming he can take 'control' of his account at 18/21. Upside is I have control for now, downside any paid for apps I have to purchase until he is old enough (bank account, etc) to do so himself.

Set it up, but let her parents take control.

And yes there are ad free versions of most games if you want to pay for them, inc Angry Birds, usually a one off payment for, at the most, a couple of quid.

I'm having a beer, so may not be the most coherent answer, sorry ;)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Steve_Perry 2 Jan 2013 15:44:20 3,843 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bluetooth keyboards any good for this?

Also can anyone recommend a decent stand? I have a case already so I don't want a combi one. Ta

VIVA STEFANSEN

• bauhaus 2 Jan 2013 21:04:25 3,512 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ive just hooked up my Nexus to a Bluetooth Logitech keyboard+mouse thing I got for the Ps3 - incredibly the mouse is working too, you can shuffle around the tablet via keys n mouse without touching the screen at all - its actually quite nippy

really impressed with this
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2013 07:35:08 20,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any recommendations for apps that can move files from my nas wirelessly to my phone?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• L0cky 3 Jan 2013 08:10:44 1,514 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was using AndSMB, which is free; I'm sure there must be something better though.
  • warlockuk 3 Jan 2013 09:29:39 19,142 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ES File Explorer on Android can browse + access files via LAN. Pretty decent, too.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Tonka 3 Jan 2013 12:19:32 20,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ES file explorer did the trick. Chers!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Razz 3 Jan 2013 13:00:18 61,003 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, ES file explorer is all you'll ever need. Has some great features.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• thefilthandthefury 3 Jan 2013 13:28:48 24,983 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Poetic Slimline case I ordered to go with this just arrived. I've only had it for twenty minutes, but I already love it. I'd easily recommend this to anyone, it's exactly what I was looking for.
  • BinaryBob101 3 Jan 2013 13:59:06 22,635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, they are pretty cool, a tad expensive, but very sturdy indeed and they look good too.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• mikew1985 3 Jan 2013 22:24:48 12,652 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jagg3r wrote:
    Just got the splashtop gamepad app, its gift, can now go to bed and play my pc games on my nexus. Streams brilliantly and i have a wireless dongle for my xbox controller which works no problem even upstairs(pc in sitting room downstairs).With a toddler in the house my game time in front of the tv has been severely cut and this is brilliant for me. Takes a bit of tweaking to get it right but well worth it, have tried Skyrim, mark of the ninja and farcry3, all worked flawlessly. Highly recommend to anyone who just cant get the time to sit down and play games without disruption.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote.pad.thd&hl=en
    I've just become a nexus owner and got this, thought you might be able to shed some light on this.

The steamer keeps telling me I need to set up the games to run windowed. Did you have similar issues? I thought the whole purpose of this version was running games full screen. I'm getting the feeling it's actually the streamer but I can't see an alternative.
  • faux_carnation 3 Jan 2013 22:48:19 9,200 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone have a Portenzo case for their Nexus? Looks lovely and I'm really tempted, but it's a lot to invest in a case ($60 plus shipping from the States).
  • jagg3r 3 Jan 2013 23:28:57 1,030 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mikew1985 had the same problem but found the solution at the bottom of this page, user comment

http://support-remote.splashtop.com/entries/21229872-thd-manual-instructions

Also take note of these settings for setting resolution

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1528230

And lastly set up your sound settings

http://support-splashtop2.splashtop.com/entries/22065282-how-do-i-make-sound-work-when-connecting-to-a-vista-or-win7-system

Sounds a lot but only takes 10 mins, any probs just pm me.

There's a lot of games on sale at the moment also in play store, gta3 for 79cent and it looks and plays great with ps3 pad
  • crashVoodoo 4 Jan 2013 00:19:13 3,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    The Poetic Slimline case I ordered to go with this just arrived. I've only had it for twenty minutes, but I already love it. I'd easily recommend this to anyone, it's exactly what I was looking for.
    +1

I got a red one and its awesome

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Trowel 4 Jan 2013 06:38:54 17,535 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nexus 10 16GB is finally back in stock on Google Play. Personally I'm holding on for the 32GB.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Jan 2013 12:23:46 3,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Nexus 10 16GB is finally back in stock on Google Play. Personally I'm holding on for the 32GB.
    No fucking nexus 4s though.

Get your finger out Google!!!

• MrSemprini 4 Jan 2013 13:16:48 9,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Assuming the 10 is like the 7 in that you can expand the storage way beyond 32GB pretty easily. The 32GB model looks to be supply constrained for the immediate future.
  • robthehermit 4 Jan 2013 14:36:33 4,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a Nexus 7 winging it's way to me \o/.

I've never used android in any form so I'm coming at this completely blind. Anyone got any recommendations for apps or can point me to a good essentials list?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Zerobob 4 Jan 2013 15:01:41 1,605 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I've got a Nexus 7 winging it's way to me \o/.

I've never used android in any form so I'm coming at this completely blind. Anyone got any recommendations for apps or can point me to a good essentials list?
    I've had a Nexus 4 for a few weeks now and honestly Android 4.2 seems to come with everything you need by default. Maps and Navigation are there. The multitasking is handled brilliantly. All the settings widgets you might need are included. The only thing it doesn't have is a video player, so get MX Player - brilliant piece of software.

Apps that I had on my old HTC Desire and my Nexus 4 are Google Sky Map, Angry Birds Star Wars, Unified Remote and Winamp; Winamp is great as it allows wireless music transfer with the desktop version, although most people seem to laugh at Winamp these days and don't use it on their desktop.
  • Iain815 4 Jan 2013 18:14:08 410 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    +1 for MX Player. Plays pretty much everything, plenty of options and it's free! If you want a music player app, go for Poweramp, it's excellent and worth the money once the trail runs out.

Other apps worth getting are iPlayer, BBC News, Eurogamer (unofficial), HotUKDeals and BaconReader (reddit). All are free.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Jan 2013 18:32:11 3,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I prefer dice player for videos as it streams perfectly from my nas/media server. Does HD too.

Pocket casts for podcasts as it works like a charm. Not free but worth every penny for being able to schedule update/downloads

I did like gReader for RSS but I'm slowly falling out of favour with it as its getting buggy or it doesn't display articles correctly. I'm liking feedly and also press has caught my eye for its slick look. But I've not convinced myself to pay for it yet beyond the 15 minute trail window.

If you plan on rooting then datasync is a winner as it allows you to backup app data to drop box or sync it between two rooted devices

Games to try are Birzzle (I always reccomend this)
    Where's the water, so much content for so little money
    Ski safari
    Plague inc.

• robthehermit 4 Jan 2013 19:19:10 4,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers guys, I'll have a look at those. So far the only apps I have on my list are iplayer and netflix.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Jan 2013 19:22:51 37,677 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Pocket casts for podcasts as it works like a charm. Not free but worth every penny for being able to schedule update/downloads
    Do you ever have any problems with this? I have one podcast in particular which fails to download EVERY time. edit: This is on my HTC One V though...

Edited by MrTomFTW at 19:24:47 04-01-2013

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Jan 2013 19:24:30 37,677 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I love Pocket. It's brilliant I can just press a button to save an article I've seen on my PC so I can read it later at work on my Nexus.

• mrpon 4 Jan 2013 19:29:38 28,715 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cloud storage is a must. I use both Dropbox and Pogoplug.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 53 First / Last