The Cheese and Burger Society Page 12

• Page

of 27 First / Last

• smoothpete 7 Jan 2013 10:37:47 31,017 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm going to Handmade Burger Co for dinner tonight, on expenses :D "one of everything, in a bun please"
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Jan 2013 13:09:51 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I'm going to Handmade Burger Co for dinner tonight, on expenses :D "one of everything, in a bun please"
    I like your style! :D
  • wobbly_Bob 14 Jan 2013 17:38:46 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    N0.18 - The Pioneer

2 beef beef patties with crisp bacon, 2 slices of aged swiss cheese, sauteed wild mushrooms, sauteed cremini mushrooms, lettuce, rosemary, and alioli in a lightly toasted sesame seed bun with a rosemary garnish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES: The burgers were ground fresh from sirloin steaks. Rib Eye worked better but there wasn't enough fat on the sirloin I got so maybe next time it would work better - still it had loads of flavour and made for a juicy beef patty.

I used Shiitake mushrooms in place of the crimini because they were the closest replacement. I used chestnut mushrooms in place of the wild mushrooms because, well, I like them better and they stack nicer.

The cheese I used was aged Leerdammer, even though it's not swiss it seemed close to what the original called for in terms of look and taste.

I was really pleased with the way this one turned out! Looks really good and nails the look of the original very well. I love this huge big dirty burgers ;-) This was never not going to be awesome :-D 2, yeah count em, 2 rich beef burgers dripping with tasty juices along with cheese, crisp salty bacon, umami rich mushrooms enhancing the beef, fresh lettuce, and lovely garlicy alioli. It's all so classic, it ticks all the boxes. Needless to say it was huge and fucking tasty. I didn't bother serving fries with this one although I did have a nice Belgian beer - leffee. Pro tip: 75cl on special offer in Lidel at the moment for around 2.60ish :-D

Next week, number 19, it's The Southern Bell

FOOTNOTE: I weighed myself yesterday... I have put on quite a bit of weight... I wonder if eating massive burgers each week has something to do with it?! Hmmm lol
  • Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 00:15:30 15,756 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is a beautiful plate of food. I am quite impressed. The sprig of rosemary is burger artistry.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 00:20:58 15,756 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tell you what you must do when you get through all those burgers and become a Shaolin Monk of burger-making: you must make a burger that's completely your own. The wobbly-bob special.

It'll be like that bit in Kung Fu where David Carradine lifts the cauldron with his forearms, gaining some neat scars and becoming a master. We shall call you Master Wobbly Bob. You can call us grasshoppers.

Edited by Bremenacht at 00:21:26 15-01-2013

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Razz 15 Jan 2013 00:25:41 59,994 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That is a beautiful burger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• mrpon 15 Jan 2013 08:36:05 27,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reminds me of Burger Time on the Spectrum!

Edited by mrpon at 08:38:49 15-01-2013

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• THFourteen 15 Jan 2013 08:38:45 31,816 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yum. So hungry.
  • wobbly_Bob 15 Jan 2013 16:53:52 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the comments, all :-)

@Bremenacht - Ahhhhhhhhh grassssshopper! To be one with burger you must know the burger and be one with the burger! /bows
  • ronuds 15 Jan 2013 19:56:04 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another masterpiece, w_B.
  • Lexx87 15 Jan 2013 20:05:24 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know it's early but, bob for the Macho Nacho, it has to be all 8 patties.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Kostabi 15 Jan 2013 20:08:07 4,668 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish I was rich so I could have Bob as my personal burger maker.
  • Razz 15 Jan 2013 20:19:35 59,994 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Be careful were you buy your burgers from lads:

Horse meat found in supermarket burgers

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Moot_Point 15 Jan 2013 20:26:19 3,513 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Neigh laws against that sort of thing?

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Vortex808 15 Jan 2013 20:27:15 6,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yet again, that looks great wobbly_bob!

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:27:28 15-01-2013
  • Salaman 15 Jan 2013 21:02:05 18,248 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    N0.18 - The Pioneer

2 beef beef patties with crisp bacon, 2 slices of aged swiss cheese, sauteed wild mushrooms, sauteed cremini mushrooms, lettuce, rosemary, and alioli in a lightly toasted sesame seed bun with a rosemary garnish.

NOTES: The burgers were ground fresh from sirloin steaks. Rib Eye worked better but there wasn't enough fat on the sirloin I got so maybe next time it would work better - still it had loads of flavour and made for a juicy beef patty.

I used Shiitake mushrooms in place of the crimini because they were the closest replacement. I used chestnut mushrooms in place of the wild mushrooms because, well, I like them better and they stack nicer.

The cheese I used was aged Leerdammer, even though it's not swiss it seemed close to what the original called for in terms of look and taste.

I was really pleased with the way this one turned out! Looks really good and nails the look of the original very well. I love this huge big dirty burgers ;-) This was never not going to be awesome :-D 2, yeah count em, 2 rich beef burgers dripping with tasty juices along with cheese, crisp salty bacon, umami rich mushrooms enhancing the beef, fresh lettuce, and lovely garlicy alioli. It's all so classic, it ticks all the boxes. Needless to say it was huge and fucking tasty. I didn't bother serving fries with this one although I did have a nice Belgian beer - leffee. Pro tip: 75cl on special offer in Lidel at the moment for around 2.60ish :-D

Next week, number 19, it's The Southern Bell

FOOTNOTE: I weighed myself yesterday... I have put on quite a bit of weight... I wonder if eating massive burgers each week has something to do with it?! Hmmm lol
    Leffe! Good choice. Do you always have a beer with your burgers? I can recommend you some more tasty ones.
    Tongerlo (Prior especially)
    Augustijn
    Grimbergen
    Corsendonck
    Or any of the proper Trappist beers, except Orval maybe.
    Westmalle, Chimay, ...

Although if you can get your hands on Tripel Karmeliet, that'd be the one I'd have with a lovely burger like that.
  • Salaman 15 Jan 2013 21:03:10 18,248 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Be careful were you buy your burgers from lads:

Horse meat found in supermarket burgers
    Which supermarkets? I'd want to try that. Probably tastes quite good if there's enough in it. Not some vague traces.
  • President_Weasel 15 Jan 2013 21:49:29 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    According to the Guardian story (yes I am a pinko, shut up) their DNA tests indicated about 27% horse meat in a Tesco burger.
    Personally I'd be perfectly happy to eat horse, if that's what I'd been told I was buying. However, to me, the presence of horse meat in their supply chain makes me wonder what other corners they've been cutting.

Also, Bob, you are a godlike burger genius.

Edited by President_Weasel at 21:50:13 15-01-2013
  • Load_2.0 15 Jan 2013 21:50:39 18,201 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow best looking burger yet! You would need to dislocate your jaw to devour it.

Onwards mighty burger chef, onwards to glory!
  • jonsaan 15 Jan 2013 21:52:09 25,253 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed. Looks majestic Bob!

/hungry

FCUTA!

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 16 Jan 2013 04:59:44 507 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's been a long time since I had horse meat (in Japan) but I recall it being decent enough ;)
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jan 2013 20:06:09 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @rounds - Cheers!

@lexx87 - 8 burgers??!!!! :-O I dunno... Maybe :-D

@Kostabi - I wish you were rich enough too lol

@Vortex808 - cheers!

@salaman - yes, often have a beer with my burger, goes very well together. Sometimes I have a milk shake for something different. Wow, loads of great suggestions there. They look awesome, thamks! I actually liked the Oval. If I can get my hands on them I will certainly give them a go, cheers!

@load 2.0 - I think my jaw is getting stretched lol Yes, ONWARD! The Macho nacho awaits me. I shall slay it with my burgery powers.

@Jonsaan - thanks!

On the subject of the horse meat. I certainly wouldn't pony up for those. I wouldn't eat them. So I would end up being saddled with them. Maybe you could chop them up and fry it with noodles and have chow mien.. so sorry.

Seriously, I have had horse meat, it's very nice! Although the point here isn't that horse meat is nice or not it's that as a customer you want what you paid for not some other who knows what in it. Another point in favour of cooking good home cooked meals rather than trusting people that are interesting in simply making money to do it.
  • Lexx87 18 Jan 2013 21:52:00 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So bob. When can I come over for dinner?

Speak the truth hussy!

• megastar 19 Jan 2013 01:11:27 17,104 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    N0.18 - The Pioneer

Just look at that!! Thats art that!!

The fact that wobbly bob hasn't been knighted yet is a fucking disgrace!

I'd hug you if i could!
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Jan 2013 18:59:08 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Lexx87 - Bring a chainsaw for the macho nacho ;-)

@megastar - thanks :-) Hey, like the avatar. Thundercats, ho!

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 19:00:06 20-01-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Jan 2013 19:15:59 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's no.19 - The Southen Bell

A 1/2 pounder of beef with bbq sauce, pickles, pepper slaw, 2 slices of gruyere cheese in between 2 thick slices of sour dough. Oringinal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTES: I used a mix of sirloin and stewing steak for this one. Lots of flavour but not as juicy as I would have liked. I think it's back to the ground rib eye! Extravagant, but lovely. I iz grindinz up dem steak foar moar burgaz.

I made the pepper slaw by thin slicing peppers and making a balsamic vinaigrette.

I used pre-sliced pickles instead of cutting up whole ones.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

The sour dough loaf I brought ( Gails ) was lovely. It's chewy and dense with deep flavour and a chewy crust. As a bread, it's really wonderful but in place of a burger bun I felt it was wrong. It was far too chewy and dense. A burger bun should be soft and light but with a bounce and give. I had to cut the burger in half on the plate - which I hate to do but I needed to because of the nature of the bread and also it was a fucking huge burger lol

The pepper slaw was nice in there but not great. The pickles of course work really well with burger and if making my own I always include them. The Gruyere cheese is just lovely with a burger. It's deep nutty flavour and texture work well with the beef. I only wish it was a bit more melty,<-made up word alert. The smokey bbq sauce mingles well with the hunk o beef and slabs of cheese.

All in all I really liked this bad boy but not one of my faves.

Next up it's no.20... THE FINAL COUNT DOWN - THE LAST 10! COME ON HEART!!!! It's - The Mona Lisa

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 19:19:08 20-01-2013
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 19:20:52
    SOUR DOOOOUGH

That looks bloody lovely. For sour dough and burgers, I find the best thing is to trim the crusts off and then every so slightly toast it instead. That way you still get a crust-esque outside without having to tear into the bastard like a lion ripping open a gazelle.
  • wobbly_Bob 20 Jan 2013 19:26:25 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Meme - cheers! I think you are right. It's what I should have done. If I do it again I will do as you suggest. It would probably have been fine that way :-)
  • Lexx87 20 Jan 2013 19:39:21 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bob.

You are a king.

A God.

Seriously. This quest is the quest of Ubergods.

Your sacrifice by heart attack will not be in vein my friend.

Speak the truth hussy!

• wobbly_Bob 20 Jan 2013 19:54:43 1,436 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I WILL SLAY THEE BURGERS! Take my heart after the coronary and grind it up to fry as a burger with pickles and cheese.

The quest continues. Onward!
  • Page

of 27 First / Last