Super Mario Coingasm (or NSMB2) Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 16 Aug 2012 17:45:20 4,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been playing NSMB Wii and SMG2 this week to sate my Mario urges.

I'd almost say that it is a worry that it's good, a worry to my bank balance :D
  • MoGamer2006 17 Aug 2012 12:59:38 975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think EG's 8/10 was about right for this. I'm three worlds in (have also unlocked the first secret world) and really enjoying it so far. No, it doesn't bring much new to the table but it's hard to complain when what's offered is so well-designed and playable.
  • woodnotes 17 Aug 2012 13:38:35 4,935 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    On the way from Lovefilm.
    Same here :D
  • andywilkie35 17 Aug 2012 16:21:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost finished the first world. Feels like more of the same really, I've barely noticed the whole "coin" gimmick so far, it certainly hasn't changed how I play a 2D Mario game.

Very good though of course :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• PazJohnMitch 17 Aug 2012 17:39:10 8,308 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I forgot Nintendo were rubbish at save files.

Most games now give a message saying if you quit your data will not be saved beyond the last checkpoint. Nintendo give the same message but they mean the game simply will not be saved. It saved my coins but my progress is gone. At least I tried to quit and save after the second level and not further on.

Great idea for a game on a console that has a battery life of under 3 hours. Not having an autosave option. So if the battery dies you lose your progress. Awesome.

Now I have spotted a temporary save option which says it deletes once the game is restarted?
  • GREASYL0VER 18 Aug 2012 09:54:23 127 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Absolutely love this.

I traded my 3DS in at Gamestation yesterday and got a 3DS XL with NSMB2.

Really impressed with the 3DS XL and this game is just superb.

Nothing reminds you of being a kid like a Mario game!
  • kingcrowbar 19 Aug 2012 11:37:46 917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the subject of saves, how many saves slots does it have?
  • andywilkie35 19 Aug 2012 11:42:29 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 save slots

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• caligari 19 Aug 2012 11:48:40 17,075 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have to admit that I feel a bit foolish for spending money on something that is pretty much a clone of the games that I've already played on the Wii and DS.

Yes, it's fun - but I've seen it all before.

If anyone wants my copy for 25 delivered, PM me - otherwise I'll stick up it up for sale eBay etc.
  • MatMan562 19 Aug 2012 12:20:19 2,509 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kingcrowbar As andywilkie said it has 3 save slots but I believe there is only one total coins collected tally and you seem to be able to only have one Mii for Coin Rush mode, in case that makes any difference to you.

I'm actually really enjoying this. I almost didn't get it as I thought it'd be too samey but i've just reached World 4 and i'm not really having that problem (aside from the 1st world map being identical to that of the Wii version) as there always seems to be something, no matter how small and trivial, that keeps it feeling new and different.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• kingcrowbar 19 Aug 2012 15:35:48 917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for the info, 3 slots will be fine to split it with myself and the kids.
  • alasdairm 20 Aug 2012 21:06:32 155 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine's still not shipped from Zavvi and it doesn't appear on their website any more.....

Anyone else in the same situation ?

Reluctant to order from another site as i preordered ages ago with 10% off

Pretty sure it was still on their site last week as i was checking their prices
  • Raiko101 23 Aug 2012 11:14:33 6,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have you contacted them? They could have listed the game multiple times out of stupidity and not even noticed. Amazon did this to me when I was trying to buy something and i've been redirected to the actual product, which was available at a different price. Quite annoying, but I wasn't pre-ordering, so didn't have to wait for ages.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Afiddes 23 Aug 2012 11:49:11 1,164 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i would complain, find out what is going on it has been over a week now!!!

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• redcrayon 23 Aug 2012 23:05:57 4,567 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now 12 hours in and still uncovering new levels and exits. Finished all the worlds hours ago, but opening up all the paths and getting all the coins is really holding my attention, loving it more than I thought I would.
  • alasdairm 24 Aug 2012 08:21:26 155 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its back on Zavvi's website now & supposedly in stock, so it might get shipped soon - fingers crossed
    This shouldn't really shouldn't happen, especially for a major title - as what's the point in pre-ordering when you get it possibly a week and a half after it came out.....
  • roz123 24 Aug 2012 08:30:59 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    just order with shopto.net next time, they deliver next day if you order at 4pm and more often then not they deliver preorders early.

Only had a chance to play the first couple of worlds so far, enjoying it a lot more then the original NSMB

Edited by roz123 at 08:31:32 24-08-2012
  • kinky_mong 24 Aug 2012 10:55:53 10,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zavvi really are dreadful so I would never trust them with pre-orders. It's bad enough that I ordered AC: Revelations from them a month ago, and it took them two weeks to deliver the wrong version of it.

Still haven't got the replacement for it and I sent it back two weeks ago.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• redcrayon 25 Aug 2012 20:23:29 4,567 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK, I've found all of the secret exits/levels, have done nothing with coin rush, haven't used the silver leaf and just have a dozen or so star coins left to pick up from Bowser's castle and the last world. I'm 16 hours in, and not really sure how anyone can claim this game is short.

It's packed with secrets, and while there is little that is new bar the whole coin blocks/gold flower etc etc, every level is distinctly different from each other, which makes the pacing excellent- some of the other 2D games have multiple fire/ice/desert levels in a row that are fairly similar, whereas this avoids that entirely.

Levels are short and sweet, and toad huts for power-ups respawn, making getting the mini-mushroom easier (although I still don't think levels that need it should ever not have one within the level, otherwise it is wasting your time as you walk around the map between every failed attempt). Another complaint I have is lives- I've now got over 500, it's a bit of a joke and virtually impossible to run out of them, and it doesn't even matter if you do. An extra life is by far the least valuable power up item as it's meaningless and that's just silly. Just give Mario infinite lives.

All in all, I've enjoyed this far more than I thought I would- the levels are short and sweet, and usually each has a unique style or challenge within. We might have seen it all before this particular arrangement, but the Mario 2D games are a bit like a box of lego at this point, so many types of blocks, power-ups, secrets, enemies and situations that the possible combinations are almost endless.

Edited by redcrayon at 20:24:46 25-08-2012
  • MoGamer2006 25 Aug 2012 20:38:52 975 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @redcrayon

I find the 'too short' criticisms a bit odd too. Yes, you can get to the final Bowser showdown in a few hours, but IMHO Mario games are about finding the secrets - I'm still puzzling out how to find all the hidden routes and levels.
  • DFawkes 25 Aug 2012 21:19:36 23,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    An extra life is by far the least valuable power up item as it's meaningless and that's just silly. Just give Mario infinite lives.
    Though I generally agree and think they should abolish lives, at least they're there for a reason - you get pretty much the same thing as in 3D Land for maxing them out. Not much consolation of course, but at least it gives lives a purpose. Though to be fair I only knew that because I suspected it'd be the same and googled it :p

Certainly doesn't sound short though, but it's a criticism that comes up a lot. They seem to think that it's fair to judge a game by it's shortest route/mode. If it's enjoyable, you'd be more likely to go for the other stuff or play the other game modes, surely? Its not like this game is reviewing poorly, it's getting great scores, just not as great as some others due to it being a direct sequel.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:23:42 25-08-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• redcrayon 25 Aug 2012 22:53:23 4,567 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mogamer
    Chipping away at the secrets is my favourite part of a mario game, since way back in Mario 3!

@DFawkes
    Ah, I've got a fair way to go to max out lives- same with the million coins- I think I'm up to 50,000 but can't see me reaching it. Still very happy with it for 30 though- maybe it's just me, but seeing the silly koopa flying machine from Mario World, along with the Reznors and other homages just makes me smile. Not as much as the vocals from the koopalings though- I love the way they all have these personalities despite only having 1-3 words each and the way they look. Ludwig von Koopa's posh accent and Iggy's bonkers persona are probably my favourites, bless 'em.
  • PazJohnMitch 25 Aug 2012 23:57:58 8,308 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game is certainly not short. Took me 21 hours to get all the star coins.

Finished on 63k.
  • Raiko101 30 Aug 2012 20:51:37 6,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started playing this tonight and my first impressions are good. Yeah, it's the same old Mario, but the design feels different. It's an extension to the Wii game, really, but it does a good job of mixing things up a bit.

• spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 20:53:36 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Am I the only one thinking that the 90 star coins for the final world is an absurdly high goal to reach?

Also, has anyone hit the 1m coins yet? Any idea what happens when you do? (please say more levels).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kinky_mong 30 Aug 2012 22:18:23 10,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    90 star coins isn't that high, just get all 3 on 30 levels, if you're going for a full completion that wil lcome long before you run out of stuff to do.

Go back a few pages and there's a video of the reward...a different title screen :|

Edited by kinky_mong at 22:22:14 30-08-2012

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• spamdangled 30 Aug 2012 22:19:49 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kinky_mong

That's it? Wow. Glad I know that in advance or I'd feel like I'd just been trolled.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Raiko101 30 Aug 2012 23:28:45 6,409 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah. I'm not too worried about hitting that target. Can't believe they didn't give a greater incentive.

• BryanAKADJ 12 Sep 2012 05:19:11 284 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thinking about getting this from the e-shop, bought my mom a copy, hows the multiplayer? Anyone try it out?

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• kirinnokoshin 12 Sep 2012 09:05:03 66 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm now completely addicted to this. Once you get your teeth into coin rush mode the level design subtleties really come into focus (just like the foreground with the 3D on, love the effect). I did about ten run attempts through one of the mushroom packs last night until I realised it was way past my bedtime. 135,000 coins so far....
  • Page

of 6 First / Last