DEFIANCE: TV Sci-fi Meets MMO Page 4

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• WrongShui 20 Apr 2013 19:26:10 6,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pet hate of mine is people popping wheelie on motorbikes.

Life isn't exciting enough riding into a gun battle with genetic supermen and battle mechss and freeze rays and giant exploding alien devices, gotta pop me some wheelies!

Thought it was naff.
  • RedSparrows 20 Apr 2013 19:31:27 21,989 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is all a bit naff.

Story had the usual TV issue of running through about 5 major plot events without anyone blinking about the previous once the next one appears.
  • FanBoysSuck 20 Apr 2013 21:28:55 1,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    While I found it all very unoriginal, I enjoyed it. The cast's good and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves. I'm guessing they played it safe for the first episode/have a lack of imagination/freedom/budget, as per usual, but I'm expecting better things as the series progresses, much as with the game.
    Fixed for me.

Edited by RedSparrows at 19:25:53 20-04-2013
    Good shout, I'd have raised a few of those points if I wasn't 6 pints down at the time of posting.

For the emperor!

• Ginger 23 Apr 2013 22:14:17 6,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gave it another go as pilots are notoriously shit.

Won't waste any more time on it though.

London open taekwondo champion

• Mr-Brett 24 Apr 2013 00:03:00 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah episode 2 wasn't really an improvement.

Portable view - Never forget.

• DFawkes 24 Apr 2013 00:29:11 22,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was a significant improvement, but horse for courses and all that :)

Certainly a bit more focus to it now, and the characters are getting fleshed out better. I'm sure it won't be the last time we seen the new (old) location either. It's still a bit safe in places though, which makes it predictable.

Can't wait to find out which ones are Cylons though.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Mr-Brett 24 Apr 2013 00:47:32 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah fair enough, I should say "I didn't like the second episode any better" instead, maybe it was an improvement.

Did you notice the Battlestar font too then?

Portable view - Never forget.

• Fydria 24 Apr 2013 08:18:30 561 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't know why, it's nothing that special but I find it very watchable. Theres potential, and Julie Benz is *fap*
  • myk 24 Apr 2013 15:45:56 548 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's okay so far, do wish it had some space stuff though as it's a bit Eureka-ish being town/sheriff based.
  • TarickStonefire 27 Apr 2013 08:36:53 2,894 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Turned this off halfway through the pilot. God it was awful.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• RedSparrows 4 May 2013 18:04:09 21,989 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally got around to watching ep 2. I don't know what it is, but I quite like it.
  • Fydria 4 May 2013 18:07:52 561 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    myk wrote:
    I think it's okay so far, do wish it had some space stuff though as it's a bit Eureka-ish being town/sheriff based.
    Yeah agreed.
  • Wavey 6 May 2013 00:46:56 353 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So how is the game holding up? Can get it for £20 from this site on the pc so am thinking about it!

http://www.gameladen.com/theme.php?id=27
  • Fydria 6 May 2013 14:03:22 561 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    So how is the game holding up? Can get it for £20 from this site on the pc so am thinking about it!

http://www.gameladen.com/theme.php?id=27
    If you have a group of mates to play with I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd hang off. It's a fun game but it's hard to find a sense of community game imo. Hoping for that change over time, but like it's been said 100 times over the chat system is so weak.

Edited by Fydria at 14:03:41 06-05-2013
  • Fydria 26 May 2013 18:58:04 561 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've still been watching the show despite not really playing the game. I'm still enjoying it to be honest and heard it is getting a second season.
  • DFawkes 26 May 2013 20:33:20 22,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had hoped their heavy investment in it would nigh-on guarantee a second season, but it's nice that it's confirmed so any season cliffhanger will definitely get resolved ;)

• Madder-Max 26 May 2013 21:10:57 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its getting better but they blew the budget in the pilot! U don't get to see anything outside of the town really. Ewhat about new york, space stuff?

Hopefully the second season will improve

99 problems and being ginger is one

• the_dudefather 26 May 2013 21:36:38 9,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shame I've been away during the free weekend, wouldn't mind giving it a go

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• President_Weasel 27 May 2013 00:37:45 8,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's all right, but not amazing. It's very much an MMO in the mould of RIFT (hardly surprising), basically a single player game with the occasional jumpy-inny group event (rifts in RIFT, arkfalls in this one).

This one has shooting instead of swords and magic, and the shooting is pretty decent for an MMO, but very disappointing if you're used to, say, Battlefield 3 or something.

I think the free weekend is still going if you fancy a shot, but I could be wrong.
  • Anthony_UK 17 Jun 2013 22:37:10 2,459 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought I'd give the show a try after already wasting day's of my life playing the game.

Just finished the pilot and seeing as the game involves shooting stuff and little else, I found it quite jarring and difficult to adjust to. You have a fairly predictable feeling SciFi drama show with some occasional laughable special effects chucked in for good measure. It feels like a million miles away from the feel of the game, especially as one major storylines is a teenage romance.

But the slightly annoying thing is I liked it! Maybe it gets away with the above by not taking itself 100% seriously or maybe as someone else said, the cast do look like there enjoying themselves, either way I think might get some more of my time especially now a second season has been commissioned.
  • DFawkes 17 Jun 2013 22:54:48 22,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The show does get better as it goes on. The first 3 or 4 episodes it's watchable enough but it just plods along. Now, the characters are mostly getting better stories that flesh them out better, and the longer story arcs are raising a few questions in the mysterious Lost sort of way. Plus the links to the show have been a bit tighter.

There is still a difference in tone, but there is supposed to be to an extent given how different the areas are. I do hope the links are a bit tighter as time goes on, though I did enjoy helping out the people of Defiance this week by sending them medication :)

• Riven326 23 Jun 2013 23:27:09 41 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I stopped watching after episode 2. But then I went back recently and watched all the episodes I missed on-demand. I really like the show now. It does get better as it goes along.

Xbox Live: Riven326
    Steam: Riven326

• maddermax 23 Jun 2013 23:35:17 8 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't play the game but I think the tv series is great in the same way the first series of continuum was. A little loose and rough round the edges but the actors have a great amount of freedom.

Would love to see how the game links with the show though.
  • DFawkes 4 Jul 2013 10:01:24 22,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still no-one watching Defiance? Don't care, discussing anyway.

It's clear at this stage why it was so "safe" at the start. It HAD to be, to turn everything around. It's one of the main reasons that it's went from alright to awesome - the whole series has been a long con, much like many of the characters have been playing, making you think it was running with established conventions then sucker punching you pretty much weekly since the 4th or 5th episode.

Of course it was always a risky play to make. It meant people gave up on it quite quickly for entirely understandable reasons. It set out every character as rather ordinary and easy to read, and people were turned off by that. Every cliché in the book popped seemed to pop up. Then as time went on, most of them got turned around. It's great fun to watch now as it's clear that anything goes! I especially love where they went with Dr Yewll, who I was looking forward to see more of as the generic sarky Doctor, but she turned out to be more than she first seemed.

Next weeks finale might ruin it all of course, but we're guaranteed season 2 so at least any cliffhanger will get resolved :)

I do also hope the links to the game are a bit tighter. It was nice when Defiance got there vaccine you sent, or working with Rynn, or more recently keeping an eye on Echelon and their hunt for Nolan. It's enjoyable enough, but I'd like to see more. I'm not 100%, but I'd be willing to bet at least 1 character from the show will leave Defiance and visit us in San Francisco.

• President_Weasel 4 Jul 2013 10:07:26 8,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's still a not-as-good Deadwood, with some of the people in makeup and prosthetics.
    That said, Deadwood's not on at the moment, and Tony (Curry? Curran? I'm going with Curran) is killing it as Datak Tarr.

Yes, you can see it's a TV show, whoever mentioned the plot of week stuff above was bang on the money, but it's actually pretty well done. Damning it with faint praise, I know, but I'll keep watching.
  • nickthegun 4 Jul 2013 10:09:45 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like how things move forward. People are offed, people change sides.. its not exactly shakespeare, but its as good a sci-fi show as ive seen in a while.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Megapocalypse 10 Jul 2013 20:47:02 5,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I enjoyed the finale and an looking forward to the next season. Despite a slow and boring start this is showing real promise now.
  • DFawkes 10 Jul 2013 21:02:37 22,584 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I felt the first 10 minutes or so were a bit rushed, but there was certainly a lot going on, and the second season will definitely have to deal with a LOT of change ;)

Best spoiler tag the rest. Nolan was never going to properly die given he's one of the characters on all the posters, but my eyes still got a bit moist as Irisa beat his still chest.

I also wasn't sold about some overly hurried exposition. In one scene it's much as it was last week, then in the next Yewll has told Nolan all about the Keys and Irisa and pretty much all that! Logical enough, given the circumstances, but it would've been nice to keep that as something mysterious for a while longer.

Edited by DFawkes at 21:22:39 10-07-2013

• Whizzo 10 Jul 2013 21:04:31 43,033 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed the finale but it did feel a bit rushed, anyway it's certainly set up for next season.

I really must find some time to play the bloody game!

This space left intentionally blank.

• HoriZon 10 Jul 2013 22:36:52 13,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weak finale tbh the ep before was much better.

@DFawkes As for Nolan not dieing cos he was in the posters is not always true Sean Bean was in the posters and the main bloke in Thrones S1 but we all know what happened there :)

Good run though I look forward to more.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Page

of 5 First / Last