TeamYu's #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense tweetathon Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 1 August 2013 11:01:26
    Personally, I'd be happy if they just kept it as a smaller scaled budget game. No point spending millions on something that will probably never see a profit. They know this game has a audience, so build to it.
  • sega 1 Aug 2013 12:01:59 523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's the point of Shenmue if it's not by Sega? No Sega themed toy capsules, no arcades with classic Sega games, no hidden Sega Saturns etc. The games are just littered with Sega references and it's part of the game's charm.

If your petition was for Sega to hire Yu Suzuki to make Shenmue 3 then I'd be behind it. However, if they sold the license to him, it would mean zero chance of the original Shenmue and its sequel ever being re-released in their original form. That'd be a much worse possibility.
  • hypoBla5t 1 Aug 2013 14:51:57 1,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The voice of SEGA speaks.

Where did I hear that the HD remake of Shenmue was ready to go, but they're holding onto it because it wouldn't make a profit?

Maybe I dreamed it.
  • Baihu1983 1 Aug 2013 14:54:35 2,833 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    The voice of SEGA speaks.

Where did I hear that the HD remake of Shenmue was ready to go, but they're holding onto it because it wouldn't make a profit?

Maybe I dreamed it.
    Its been reported a few times that the remakes are done but SEGA are unsure about releasing them...Maybe they should have thought about that before spending money on remaking them in the first place?
  • Ashleyfiddes 1 Aug 2013 15:01:56 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    they really need to re release this game, i am tempted to look for a dreamcast and copies of shenmue 1 & 2

i loved those games and it has always been a sore wound for me that we never got a 3 (i still remember the last sequence of 2)
  • Aretak 1 Aug 2013 15:09:18 10,329 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hypoBla5t wrote:
    Wherever it was, it's nonsense. There'd be very little additional cost to Sega to just shove them onto Steam/PSN/XBLA if they were already done. The suggestion that they'd just shelve finished games and write off the development costs for financial reasons is ludicrous.
  • Baihu1983 1 Aug 2013 15:11:57 2,833 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only thing that might stop them is III. They release HD remakes? Fans will expect them to finish the series. If the remakes bomb? Why would SEGA want to?
  • Aretak 1 Aug 2013 15:15:46 10,329 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shenmue III is never getting made either way. I mean, Shenmue II is in my top five games of all-time, but even I've gotten over it at this point. The Sega that made the first two games no longer exists. It's time to let go.
  • Widge Moderator 1 Aug 2013 15:19:43 12,582 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shenmue dazzled with a living, breathing open world... it was a rarity back then. Now, these games are ten a penny, it'd be rather hokey unless they gave it a serious boot up the arse. By that point it wouldn't be Shenmue anymore.

As above, time to let go.

Dump Timesplitters and HalfLife 3 in with that sentiment too.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 1 August 2013 15:22:02
    Whatever way you look at it, a Sega developed Nintendo funded Shenmue 3 would be awesome. It wouldnt cost as much today as it did back then and could be built in a couple of years. Wii U would fly off the shelves and the game would release at a point where the install base would be at its peak.
    Nintendo's relationship with Sega is at an all time high so this is the only way i can see Shenmue 3 happening hence why i suggested tweeting Nintendo aswell.
  • Aretak 1 Aug 2013 15:29:02 10,329 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GameOverYeah wrote:
    And if you think they wouldn't sit on a finished game that could make a lot of money take a look at the western version of PSO2 for the Vita which has disappeared of the face of the planet.
    That's a rather different situation though. There'd be significant costs involved for Sega if they were to release that in the west, including translation and setting up and maintaining servers, plus the Vita is still struggling badly. Whereas with potential Shenmue remasters there'd be none of those concerns to make them think twice.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 15:45:04
    If there was demand enough (real demand, not someone tweeting "I WANT SHENMUE 3" ) for the game that guaranteed such a tremendous return, it would have already happened. That's basic logic.

Edited by meme at 15:45:16 01-08-2013
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2013 16:05:08 6,136 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Sega sitting on finished ports isn't exactly hard to understand - timing of releases is everything. Release the right product at the right time = make a killing; time it wrong and you'll be a laughing stock. It happens all the time in music and film, the number of acts and scripts/books that get signed up by studios, millions spent on development and albums made only for them to be scrapped when the market changes.

I'm still waiting for the Altered Carbon movie that had the rights bought for a cool million several years ago but there's no twitathon to get behind that I know of.
  • cubbymoore 1 Aug 2013 16:13:21 36,439 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    its-LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Has everybody given up on this now?
    Now?

Now?

NOW?
  • Ashleyfiddes 1 Aug 2013 16:14:07 980 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @cubbymoore

No

No

No... well maybe
  • Aretak 1 Aug 2013 16:44:40 10,329 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Yeah, Sega sitting on finished ports isn't exactly hard to understand - timing of releases is everything. Release the right product at the right time = make a killing; time it wrong and you'll be a laughing stock. It happens all the time in music and film, the number of acts and scripts/books that get signed up by studios, millions spent on development and albums made only for them to be scrapped when the market changes.
    None of that really applies to this situation though. Yes, of course, timing a release properly is important, but the rumour about these Shenmue HD remasters being done dates back more than two years. Here's a story from March 2012 claiming that they'd already been finished for over a year at that point. The idea that Sega have now been sitting on them for two and a half years waiting for the perfect time to release them is complete pie in the sky stuff.

Nothing's changed regarding Shenmue in that time, and nothing will change in the future. The franchise has been dead and buried for over a decade. The market will never be any more or less ready for a HD re-release of Shenmue. It's not a matter of shifting tastes and Sega just waiting for a crescendo of new interest in the series to spring up out of nowhere. It's a matter of the story being utter bollocks in the first place.
  • rickalish 1 Aug 2013 16:56:40 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'If you tolerate this then your children will be next?'

Fucking hell. Get a life. It's just a game.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2013 17:25:50 6,136 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:

Nothing's changed regarding Shenmue in that time, and nothing will change in the future. The franchise has been dead and buried for over a decade. The market will never be any more or less ready for a HD re-release of Shenmue.
    Not quite accurate; Sega only pulled the plug on that tutti frutti mobile phone thing Shenmue City last year, if that had been a smash then perhaps you'd have your HD re-releases.

Anyway, my post was in response to all the cries of "if you've finished them then release them pretty please so i can see those blocky renders at a higher resolution Mr Sega" that we've got here.
  • elstoof 1 Aug 2013 17:56:17 6,136 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's never going to be a good time. The franchise is dead, no matter how vocal the minority are about it.
  • cubbymoore 1 Aug 2013 20:34:41 36,439 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rickalish wrote:
    Fucking hell. Get a life. It's just a game.
    This should be how Richard Leadbetter signs off each df article.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 21:28:23
    cubbymoore wrote:
    its-LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Has everybody given up on this now?
    Now?

Now?

NOW?
    now
  • superdelphinus 1 Aug 2013 21:30:54 7,262 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can someone explain what the fuck a tweetathon is please
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 21:31:50
    It's like an online petition but with more #YOLO
  • Deleted user 1 August 2013 21:32:01
    rickalish wrote:
    'If you tolerate this then your children will be next?'

Classic Manics song right there. :D
  • JinTypeNoir 1 Aug 2013 23:31:08 4,365 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know, at this point, wouldn't it be easier to convince Nagoshi to finish the series himself? After all, Sega probably has the plans for the remaining chapters around somewhere in their departments, and if not its as easy as asking Suzuki what they were and since Nagoshi was consistently delivered hit after hit for Sega since Yakuza started, he could definitely get away with it.

I know people don't like to hear this, but Shenmue was only really unprecedentedly expensive because it was the first of its kind. By now creating sequels would cost much, much less money. Nagoshi's not a bad storyteller himself either, so he could just wing it as well.

It's the reason why Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star IV never got a sequel, and instead why we got Valkyria Chronicles. Creators themselves are sometimes leery of creating sequels when they want to do other things.

Otherwise just count your blessings, stuff like, I dunno, Treasure releasing a brand new console game this winter!
  • muey 5 Aug 2013 02:49:34 20 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    its-LegendOfGamer wrote:
    Has everybody given up on this now? Last post was May.

I belive the tweets should be aimed at Nintendo rather than Sega. If enough people get Nintendo on board who's to say ninty wouldnt approach Sega about funding Shenmue 3 and securing a much needed Wii U exclusive.
    Hello! No, everybody has absolutely not given up on this, in fact, the tweetathons are still growing and we are still looking at ways to improve and expand. As for targeting Nintendo, it's something we've actually been very keen on, and if you look a few posts above your one, you will actually see a post in which I discuss an organised push to direct tweets at Nintendo. The success of that push was probably quite limited though; some participants of the tweetathon seemed to be surprisingly reluctant to consider the possibility of Shenmue on a Nintendo console. So for now, we have placed the Nintendo agenda on the back burner, in order to keep things simple as we grow the campaign. It is definitely something we are still thinking about though, it was just harder to organise than we initially anticipated.

What's the point of Shenmue if it's not by Sega? No Sega themed toy capsules, no arcades with classic Sega games, no hidden Sega Saturns etc. The games are just littered with Sega references and it's part of the game's charm.
    Certainly a Sega developed Shenmue is what we all hope for (and what we ideally hope to achieve with the campiagn), but if Sega won't make it (and at current they have given us no indication that they intend to) then, personally speaking, I'd much rather have a Shenmue 3 without Sega capsule toys and arcade games than no Shenmue 3 at all. But each to their own.

Yeah, Sega sitting on finished ports isn't exactly hard to understand - timing of releases is everything.
    There is no evidence right now to suggest that they sitting on anything or intend to do anything worthwhile with franchise unfortunately. I am quite confident a Shenmue HD would easily turn a profit, it's notoriety has only increased over the years but it's quite an inaccessible and expensive game, a re-release would be hugely appreciated and would be good way to test interest in the franchise. The only reason beside insanity that I think Sega would chose not to release it, is because they know it would be interpreted by the world as a signal that they intend to finish the saga, when Sega probably don't really have that intention and don't want any more bad press.

I obviously don't agree with those in here who dogmatically claim that the series is dead. We've all seen less likely and less demanded franchise reboots. Shenmue 3 isn't off the table yet. I agree with SG59 that most of us do not expect a new Shenmue to be a 60 million dollar extravaganza. We know there will have to be a bugdet, and as JinTypeNoir said, it doesn't need to cost the sun and the moon in order to be a great sequel. Though I'm unsure why you suggest trying to convince Nagoshi to make it, when we know he has no interest in that (as he briefly mentioned in a recent Japanese interview), and we know Yu Suzuki very much still does.

I very much appreciate the renewed exchange of ideas in this thread, as that's whatI started it for! And Sorry for not updating in a few months. We actually have a few logs on the fire as of right now, I'll be able to share more about it in the very near future. As always, please follow our facebook : https://en-gb.facebook.com/TeamYu for updates, or to catch up on what's been happening over the past few months, and of course our twitter too https://twitter.com/TeamYuNeedsYOU

Next round is September 3rd! Please make use of our thuderclap so that you don't need to rely on memory and your tweet will automatically be sent out on the 3rd: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/3452-shenmue-tweetathon-sept-3rd

Edited by muey at 02:52:02 05-08-2013
  • muey 1 Sep 2013 23:27:04 20 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just a reminder that the tweetathon is on Tuesday! There is still time to sign up to our Thunderclap, and we fully encourage this: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/3452-shenmue-tweetathon-sept-3rd

Also, here is a nice little project we completed recently

A collage made up of Shenmue fans from around the world. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=683151268363582&set=a.346053648740014.93932.346033592075353&type=1

Hope to see you all on the third! :)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last