Minecraft XBLA Page 60

• Page

of 69 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 19 Oct 2012 14:11:42 12,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok well my Awesome Vote stays the same then :)

Portable view - Never forget.

• andytheadequate 19 Oct 2012 14:35:35 8,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I demand an awesome vote!

I still remember the long first few hours on that dark, rainy and creeper infested hillside...

There should be a rule that anyone who votes based on achievements should be disqualified for missing the point of minecraft.
  • AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 14:39:13 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What is this uprising?!
    We have a democracy people!

/starts building an obsidian wall to separate the world in two

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ubergine 19 Oct 2012 14:41:58 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @AcidSnake You will never find pumpkin and melon seeds in your old world. Also, melons seeds can be crafted again from melons you grow, but pumpkin seeds are finite (but pumpkins an melons will grow endlessly from a stalk)

The weather up top has changed so the ice castle will have to be completed some other way, or in creative mode. You can't craft Golden Apples yet. Can't cruft chain mail yet.

Also, here is another good 1.8 seed for anyone looking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 15:09:38 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The weather has changed how? Just random? Even if it was already loaded and discovered?

I hoped that maybe pumpkin and melon seeds could be found in dungeon chests...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• ubergine 19 Oct 2012 16:45:20 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My very limited understanding of the programming, which is all informed by kids posting on another Internet forum: the game generates land features when unexplored chunks are triggered by the player, based on whatever the seed generation code is at the time, and if you save, that gets saved. However, the weather patterns tied to those biomes are separate and renew constantly, so if you trigger chunks (via proximity) that have water blocks in them, they will start to turn to ice if the weather code is wintery in that area. A rain event will result in new snowfall.

I had hoped they would have included a fix for the PC version which already went through all this, but it seems they either can't be arsed or are obligated to adapt exactly what Notch and Jeb did.

So what we have is land generated in 1.6/7 but the weather will refer to the new 1.8.2 biome code. You will find ice and snow in new places and lose the ability to generate new ice and snow in others (I don't believe it will melt, unless you melt it, but there's no repairing it if it happens)

I expect you could get a preview of what will happen by using the seed number for eggmilf to generate a new copy in creative mode, then sprint-fly around the world with the map open. The colours of grass, leaves etc will transpose onto your world as well. Judging by the leaf colours I've seen in my copy of eggmilf that winter island is now at least part desert. I haven't looked much farther.

Regarding the dungeon chests: the contents of the chests are determined as soon as the chunk is generated. If you find a golden apple in a chest, I can go find it in the chest in the same place in my world. There's another wrinkle too: pumpkin and melon seeds only appear in chests in Abandoned Mineshafts anyway, not dungeons.

If you are going to use creative to add vines, it's no big thing to also add those other things (since you can't get them any other way!) While you are at it, you might as well fly around the map looking at everything?

Edited by ubergine at 16:47:53 19-10-2012

• AcidSnake 19 Oct 2012 16:59:25 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm fairly sure I found different items in the same chests in a dungeon once...But I will check it out and let you know :)

• Capn_Franky 20 Oct 2012 19:22:20 61 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I stuck with my old world after hours of looking for a new generation seed, finding they all looked like poop.

Only thing is I have the same problem as above, snowy deserts or snow where there shouldn't be, but I don't mid this, it adds variety to my otherwise dull area.

It rains and lightnings a lot too (it did this per patch) so I'm expecting to find more snow soon.

I love the new explosion noise though, much more bass to it.

Stiv, I added vines, brick, mossy brick, pumpkins, melons, cocoa beans, cobwebs and other items to my using creative mode because if not you're missing out entirely on some really great new blocks and design ideas!
  • ubergine 21 Oct 2012 16:51:20 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally found a stronghold in the seed I posted days ago (seed number is in picture of map) - just north of the village you spawn in, too.

Dig down at X115 Z128

Here's the original post:

ubergine wrote:
    Okay, here's post I made over at minecraft forums for anyone having trouble finding a good seed:

Here's a seed an online friend lucked onto at random:

In this pic, I'm in the village you spawn in. There are many around the map, mostly in good condition (one small borked one against the south western border!)

Directly below the village you spawn in is an epic mineshaft with pumpkin and melon seeds. So far I've found three cave spider spawners and three chests with pumpkin and melon seeds, and took a break from searching through it after some hours! Finding wool for beds at the game's beginning won't be a problem because you can just collect the abundance of cobwebs and make wool from the string.

There's also a pretty great village in the desert in the centre if you wanted to reset the spawn point to there.

There's an underseas mineshaft visible at night in the ocean northeast of the village. I've also found another mineshaft to the west of the snowy island in the north of the map.

Here's some coordinates:

Chests with pumpin seeds:

x96 y28 z315

x117 y24 z389

Melon seeds:

x135 y26 z399

cave spider spawners:

x149 y29 z336

x117 y27 z378

x116 y27 z371

diamonds:

x121 y13 z343

x147 y12 z355

Beginning of another mineshaft, diamonds:

• AcidSnake 22 Oct 2012 10:02:02 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I went through the process of removing all the signs and it seems to have done the trick...(Damn you Brett and your signs to keep the water column stable in your tower!)

After the referendum I have added seeds and silverfish blocks to our world in a chest...

Might just dump a load of ice blocks for you, ubergine...

That said I don't think it's enough to draw me back in...

Also I tried loading the unloaded old EGGMILF map in and like ubergine predicted it becomes a strange hybrid of the new and old EGGMILF...

So a huge and familiar central mountain range surrounded by a flat world...
    What is interesting is that in the quick survey I made I didn't find sudden dead drops where the old chunk met the new one... so the new algorithms seem to be responsible for generating transitional areas as well...
    Also, villages...

• Mr-Brett 22 Oct 2012 10:20:31 12,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry about that, it seemed like a good idea up until the game-breaking bug (don't they always). Out of interest how did you do it? replace them with a solid block? remove the water?

• AcidSnake 22 Oct 2012 10:29:51 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I placed dirt in their place and left all the signs in the chest next to it...Only the bottom row and oddly the top row needed filling in...

I have seen a new glitch though in that area, sometimes draw distance falls to zero and every corridor appears dark...Though if you move slightly it renders them lit again...Quite annoying...

• Mr-Brett 22 Oct 2012 10:45:06 12,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think that's a glitch as such, that sounds like the odd darkness you get near bedrock on the PC version, so I guess it's an addition of the patch. The reason it isn't always like that is because sunlight interrupts it.

• AcidSnake 22 Oct 2012 10:50:32 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, yeah it happened at bedrock near your water column...

• Mr-Brett 22 Oct 2012 11:05:55 12,743 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The official term seems to be void fog.

• ubergine 22 Oct 2012 11:35:52 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I thought that was a shocking lighting bug at first. My bedrock area is basically ruined now. Strangely enough I'm happy enough moving on to the new maps now that I finally found a couple of good ones.

• 4gate 22 Oct 2012 11:53:02 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The vast majority of my underground lair is bedrock level, including 3 600 long tunnels. Which are, or at least were, extremely well lit. I'm just playing offline for ever :)
  • VivaLaJam26 22 Oct 2012 12:06:33 6 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Creative Mode has saved this game for me.

*Enter cool sig here*

• ubergine 22 Oct 2012 13:35:54 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you ride out the rage over the old game being destroyed, there's a rather good new game sprouting from its ashes. It's a guerilla sequel basically.

Also, the purpose of Lego is to smash it and build anew.

• ubergine 28 Oct 2012 19:24:59 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seems like the update has killed the game for some people. It might be worth waiting for the inevitable bug patch if you're unenthused at the moment. Starting a new seed and renovating villages / hunting for mineshafts and strongholds is my new game style.

I think Minecraft's time will come again in the doldrums between Bioshock Infinite and whatever is coming at the end of 2013 - (hopefully, launch games for a new Xbox!)

• 4gate 29 Oct 2012 12:03:08 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm just occasionally extending my underground realm offline whilst waiting for a void fog toggle, if they never come up with one then I've certainly had fantastic VFM anyway.
  • Capn_Franky 30 Oct 2012 15:54:26 61 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't see the problem with the void fog, makes mining tense again for me, but if you have some elaborate creations underground then I suppose i can see why.

I have a mural and you can see it u til you're practically nose to wall, but, I don't mind.

Not too keen on the new world generation though so I've stuck with my old and the hunger has really refreshed the game.
  • Capn_Franky 5 Nov 2012 11:19:52 61 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, I played the game in creative mode for a few hours offline, I scanned my world and looked to see what I could build/improve, yet, when I returned to my builds a few hours later I was met with a half destroyed building......

I've heard of herobrine but I was under the impression the bug only removed or placed the odd block?
  • AcidSnake 5 Nov 2012 11:34:06 7,233 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Herobrine? :)
    That's just an amusing legend...

It's probably endermen stealing blocks?

• andytheadequate 5 Nov 2012 11:55:17 8,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Maybe your buildings were just shitter than you first thought?

Edited by andytheadequate at 11:56:22 05-11-2012
  • ubergine 5 Nov 2012 14:20:51 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Was it a wooden building? Lightning strike?

• Capn_Franky 5 Nov 2012 18:38:11 61 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was on peaceful so no endermen were around, it was the girlfriends building so not my fault for the shitty designs and it was made from both wood and cobblestone with glass panes for windows, parts of all got destroyed, I'll upload a picture.

Edited by Capn_Franky at 18:39:57 05-11-2012
  • ubergine 5 Nov 2012 23:02:10 2,288 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like wooden blocks are missing to me, I'm calling lightning or poor lava/netherrack placement.

• Page

of 69 First / Last