of 15 First / Last

• Dougs 17 Sep 2012 20:20:35 68,474 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WinAmp or PowerAmp for all your music needs
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 10:55:46 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Downloaded Winamp Pro and it seems pretty decent so that will do for now.

Question: I've noticed that my phone seems to have a lot of apps running even when I turn it on (some 630 MB of the 780 MB of RAM is being used). Even Real Football 2012, a free game I've one tried once so far, seems to be running in the background and using a few MB of memory. I can understood stuff like Battery+, avast! or JuiceDefender running as they operate like PC software, constantly monitoring in the background but there seems to be a lot of stuff that, IMO, shouldn't be running until I choose to load it up. How do I disable S Voice until I need it (double tap on the Home button) for example? And why is the Music Player running when I exited the app after arriving at work?

I'm curious to know how much memory other people's Galaxy S III's are using compared with mine. I admit I've gone a bit app and games mad over the past few days but I didn't expect what seems like half of them to be always running in the background. My first full day's use of the phone away from a charger at 8:45am resulted in it dropping to around 34% by the time I got home at 5:20pm. In that time I'd listened to about 35 minutes of music, browsed the internet/Play Store on 3G for around an hour, checked my emails about half a dozen times and demoed it to colleagues for about 15-20 minutes. I did not make any calls nor did I send any messages. Also GPS, WiFi and 3G/Data were turned off while my phone was in sleep mode, thanks to the way JuiceDefender works.

I'm actually starting to think it might be a good idea to buy two docking stations: one for home (obviously) and the other for work because I think if I had taken a 10 minute call on it that the battery might have drained completely. I do have a couple of 2,300 MaH batteries coming which I hope will give more life out of a single charge. Does the battery take a while to settle or something? I charged it for over 20 hours on first getting it and it has been on charge every night since for at least 6 hours. At home the phone is plugged into my PC via the micro USB cable so the battery is at 100%.

I think it is the large number of background apps that are draining the battery though. Do I have to uninstall them to stop them running?

Edited by Darren at 10:57:51 18-09-2012

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 10:59:14
    Android doesn't work like Windows. Stuff stays in RAM because it's quicker if you happen to open the app. If you use those silly task killers all you do is remove it from RAM and the phone will have to load it in again. If there's an app that needs more memory than is available the OS will close something on its own.
  • AcidSnake 18 Sep 2012 11:00:13 7,285 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Android OS does this for you...Usually processes in background do not use any resources and the system just saves the instance should you choose to return to it later...

Be sure to set the screen brightness to something more acceptable...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:01:10
    And yes it sounds like you have installed an utter load of shit that is raping the battery. I get three days out of mine with wifi and data turned on while reading ont he bog, playing mp3s and the normal phone stuffs.
  • Deckard1 18 Sep 2012 11:06:34 28,760 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3 days?! really? I get a day tops. I know its my koi carp live wallpaper though, but I do love it so. I also like to have it brighter than the surface of the sun.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:07:27
    Yeah, I don't shit for hours at a time unless it's Sunday.
  • fletch7100 18 Sep 2012 11:10:20 7,360 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The S4 getting tipped for March 2013 release
  • Benno 18 Sep 2012 11:13:57 10,049 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will probably make the jump. Been iPhone for a long time. Fancy a change.
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:24:52 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    And yes it sounds like you have installed an utter load of shit that is raping the battery. I get three days out of mine with wifi and data turned on while reading ont he bog, playing mp3s and the normal phone stuffs.
    I was looking through the Settings > Battery option as it shows what percentage each app is using. The screen is obviously the biggest drain at 52% (I prefer a manual brightness of about 20%) but the second largest is surprisingly the Cell Standby at 38% then Device Idle at 4%, the superb Screebl Pro at 2% and finally the Android System at 2%.

WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync and 3G/Data are all turn off so why is my phone using so much battery life in standby? The battery charge is currently at 89% after about 2 hours 45 minutes use with 20 minutes of playing MP3 and about 10 minutes fiddling around with the settings. I have brought the recharge cable with me to work in case the charge drops low as I read that the battery should be allowed to drop down to 10-20% before you recharge it again to maximise its life.

Edited by Darren at 11:26:22 18-09-2012

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:26:55
    For comparison my cell standby is by far the largest at 44%.
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:28:58 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I click on the Cell Standby line in Settings > Battery then it says the 39% is "used by cell radio". Huh? I've never used the radio so why is it draining the battery? :confused:

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:29:44
    I guess after your first few days with it you aren't messing with the phone so much so the screen % will come down. Either that or turn on/turn off the brightness auto adjust.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:31:35
    Battery used by cell radio is the phone lying in wait for someone to ring it/text it not the FM radio.
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:32:32 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I looked at the FM Radio app, the only radio app I have, and it had an option to auto disable the FM Radio after a certain length of time. By default it was off so I've set it 15 minutes in the hope that it'll decrease the Cell Standby drain on the battery. The only other option that was enabled was to display text.

• mrpon 18 Sep 2012 11:37:18 29,204 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh what a pickle you're in.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:37:21 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    Battery used by cell radio is the phone lying in wait for someone to ring it/text it not the FM radio.
    Oh, right. I guess that makes sense although the description could have been better worded. It seems surprising high considering my old pay-as-you-go Motoral RAZR could last a week in standby mode so that is really disappointing.

Just found this here in an article on the Samsung S4 due out next February/March: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/385313/20120917/samsung-galaxy-s4-release-date-2013-rumors.htm

Quote: "So which Galaxy S3 complaints are we hoping to see addressed in the Galaxy S4? One of the most widespread complaints concerns the device's battery life. This power issue was said to be affecting the international variant of the device, and the problem is a result of the Galaxy S3's standby feature. The file on the device that contains the drain value was wrongly set when the S3 initially shipped.

Galaxy S3 owners who wish to read more about this issue and how to fix it can click here to read our full report. Other reported issues included overheating, faulty Wi-Fi connectivity, and problems with the phone's microphone."

• Deckard1 18 Sep 2012 11:39:18 28,760 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What temperature are you keeping the phone at?
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:39:20 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And the fix mentioned above is detailed here: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/372878/20120812/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-date-specs-battery.htm

• Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:39:59 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    What temperature are you keeping the phone at?
    2,386 degrees Kelvin, why?

• Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:39:59
    The battery life of the S3 is one of its strongest features.
  • Deleted user 18 September 2012 11:41:55
    Also worth bearing in mind rooting the handset completely invalidates your warranty and probably insurance.

I imagine whatever issue has long been resolved given mines is about six weeks old and has the correct apk installed.
  • Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:46:44 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Boab - I've just read the fix fully and have no intention of using is as I've only just got the phone so this rooting thing is only something I'd possibly try near the end of the current contract, if at all.

Is there any way to check the value of this framework-res.apk file to see if it's 3.4 mA and not 34 mA? Obviously, if it is 34 mA then I have a problem as does anyone else with this phone here in Europe. The U.S. model is not affected apparently and that might explain why I've seen such differing opinions on the battery life. Maybe. That said I would have expected Samsung to have fixed this by now and I did update the firmware to the latest one over the weekend.

• AcidSnake 18 Sep 2012 11:53:38 7,285 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    APK files are simple ZIP files, though it does not contain the source code AFAIK...So no idea if you can just open it and find the file...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Darren 18 Sep 2012 11:54:34 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems the bug was discovered in June/July 2012 so in all likelihood this will have been fixed by now.

That said it doesn't seem to be the apps draining the battery life on my phone anyway (Android System is 2%), just the standby mode when the phone isn't in use. There seems to be something a bit wrong from my understanding of how that works if my previous seven year old phone could last a week in standby mode. I'm not sure this phone could, maybe a day or two tops if you don't use it at all in that time.

Edited by Darren at 11:59:28 18-09-2012

• ElNuevo9 18 Sep 2012 17:18:43 13,483 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else had a software update today? (On 3)

Not much seems to have changed except I've not got a auto-brightness slider on my notification screen.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Mr-Brett 19 Sep 2012 14:42:28 12,828 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My S3 arrived today. I'd been putting off getting a new phone for a bit, I was considering the Note but after comparing my Desire to the S3 I'm glad I didn't, the S3 seems plenty big enough.
    Just waiting for the battery to charge before messing around with it.

What are people's thoughts on cases? the back seems a little flimsy so I'm wondering if one of the ones that leaves the front exposed my be a good idea.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Darren 19 Sep 2012 15:14:03 8,953 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Mr-Brett - I fitted a 64 GB microSD card into my S3 last night so it was the first time I'd removed the back cover as the lady in the T-Mobile shop fitted my SIM card and battery in the shop at weekend as I wanted to be sure it worked before I went home (otherwise it'd be just my luck to get home and find it didn't work!). I was a bit shocked at how thin and fragile-looking the back appears and was extremely nervous taking the back off as it looked as if it would crack if not removed carefully.

Anyway, I decided on the official S3 case at 10 from Amazon as it actually replaces the back cover so it won't add much bulk to the phone for when I get my dock later on this week. Just in case I don't like those though, I've also order a couple of others of different types, one being a clear gel skin thing and another being like a black rubber sleeve. Between them they were only 4.

I'm hoping the official S3 case has arrived today as I've using mine without a case since the weekend. The phone certainly feels solid and well-built but the glossy glass front and shiny plastic back mean that it doesn't have as much grip as I'd like.

• prawnking1980 19 Sep 2012 18:51:11 4,742 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, I have had HTC Incredible S for about 18 months, incredible it is not. Constant freezing, touch screen not working, keyboard getting stuck etc etc.

I am hovering over the order button for a S3. How are people finding them? I know the differences with Samsung phones as my ex has a S2 and so does my neice so that's not a problem. Just feel the flagship phone will give a better experience, if not only 6 months till contract ends anyway. Just can't be done with this phone for another 6 months.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last