What's eurogamer saying about netbooks? (plz help me)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • generica 16 Apr 2012 15:50:53 4,273 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi eurogamer.

I'm a student, I'm poor, but my loan came through today and I'm looking to buy a laptop. Or a netbook. I would be a crazy fool not to check with eurogamer fist.

I'm thinking about this: 195.

I don't know if this would be a bad idea. Would it be a bad idea?

If so I've got a budget of ~300 and I'm looking for a screen no bigger than 12". Can you recommend anything better?

Thanks in advance!

- generica
  • Deleted user 16 April 2012 15:54:47
    Netbooks are much of a muchness, they're not for gaming (except for old or indie games, and even then the screensize locks you out of a fair number of newer titles), but you can watch movies, surf the web and do typing on pretty much any of them. Might as well just find whatever hits that balance of budget and design.
  • Gland 16 Apr 2012 15:57:34 78,481 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you can get one with an nvidia ion2 graphics chip, you might be able to play a few light games, but otherwise the CPU is a pretty weak point for pretty much everything.

They're literally just for browsing the net, doing a little doc work and watching avi's in a pinch.

Better to get a small laptop.

Edited by Dirtbox at 15:59:01 16-04-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sport 16 Apr 2012 16:00:19 12,776 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I was a student these days, I wouldn't be seen without a Macbook.
  • generica 16 Apr 2012 16:06:26 4,273 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks guys. I should probably have mentioned on a gaming forum that I won't be using it for gaming.
  • Deleted user 16 April 2012 16:10:24
    FWIW I've only just retired my Acer Aspire One after 3 years of sterling service as my main PC. For most of what the avergae person needs a PC for it was spot on
  • sport 16 Apr 2012 16:10:33 12,776 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    generica wrote:
    Thanks guys. I should probably have mentioned on a gaming forum that I won't be using it for gaming.
    Mac it is then ;-P
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2012 16:16:41 33,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i had a netbook once, it was great, however i found the 1024x600 resolution really irritating.

how about a tablet? what are you using it for? note taking?
  • Deleted user 16 April 2012 16:22:13
    As another note, my primary PC is a netbook, an Acer Aspire Happy. But I do most of my serious work (college and writing) either by hand or on an iMac that sits in the study. I literally only use the netbook to arse around and waste time. A lot of this is down to the portability - I don't feel like it's a serious work machine when I can sit in bed in my pants and tap away.
  • generica 16 Apr 2012 16:58:25 4,273 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everything. But for me that doesn't constitute anything a netbook can't handle.

I don't get tablets. I can't imagine not having a keyboard. What's the appeal?
  • THFourteen 16 Apr 2012 17:04:14 33,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    generica wrote:
    Everything. But for me that doesn't constitute anything a netbook can't handle.

I don't get tablets. I can't imagine not having a keyboard. What's the appeal?
    well they are better than netbooks for everything except things that require a lot of typing.
  • Lamb 16 Apr 2012 17:43:19 474 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You may want to try this site as their reviews and benchmarks are exceptional for netbooks and notebooks.Here is a review of the netbook you mentioned just be mindful the specs match what you are looking at as manufacturers like to go crazy with different specs.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S205-Fusion-Subnotebook.59357.0.html

And here is the same site should you want to explore other options.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Purchase-Consultation.13212.0.html

Edited by Lamb at 17:44:53 16-04-2012
  • Dragul 16 Apr 2012 18:07:44 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having 2 netbooks, all I can say is, if possible avoid the ones with Atom cpu and go with one that uses a celeron cpu, IMO, it's faster and more powerful, the batery life isn't much different (I have 2 Acer).
  • mal 16 Apr 2012 18:39:51 22,711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I've got one with the first gen atom and it's a bit shit. Not as shit as the intel graphics chipset they paired the first Atoms with, but still a bit shit.

Still, I can play stuff like World of Goo or VVVVVV on it, and emulate anything up to a SNES. As others have said, it's not really for gaming.

Dual core Atoms and the chipset that doesn't pump out heat like a hairdryer should be a little better, or as Dragul says you could just go for a Celeron netbook, if anyone makes them any more. Not sure what AMDs like these days though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• DodgyPast 16 Apr 2012 19:22:38 8,497 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're budgets 300 quid how about assigning some of that for a monitor, KB and mouse.

If you're working a lot on it having a comfortable working environment beats hunching over a 12" screen. Plus you get the benefits of dual screens.
  • dominalien 16 Apr 2012 19:26:52 7,021 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I regularly get to use a netbook with a dual-core Atom and Nvidia ION and all I can say is it's the biggest pile of crap I've ever used. A tablet beats it any time (IMO, of course), except, as was mentioned before, when a lot of typing is required. Then again, it's not hard to connect a keyboard to a tablet.

Edited by dominalien at 19:27:08 16-04-2012

PSN: DonOsito

• sport 16 Apr 2012 19:52:57 12,776 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With a budget of 300, I think we can satisfy the pro-tablet crowd and generica's need for a keyboard.
  • Dragul 16 Apr 2012 20:17:39 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Yeah, I've got one with the first gen atom and it's a bit shit. Not as shit as the intel graphics chipset they paired the first Atoms with, but still a bit shit.

Still, I can play stuff like World of Goo or VVVVVV on it, and emulate anything up to a SNES. As others have said, it's not really for gaming.

Dual core Atoms and the chipset that doesn't pump out heat like a hairdryer should be a little better, or as Dragul says you could just go for a Celeron netbook, if anyone makes them any more. Not sure what AMDs like these days though.
    AMD has gone the nVidia route coupling one of their Turion CPUs with a on chip HDx150 or a HDx110 Radeon GPUs to create a really cheap entry level netbooks (I've seen then from 10' to 12 and even saw 2 or 3 model with 15).

They're on pair with the celerons but it's better to search the web for some benchmarks...
  • elstoof 16 Apr 2012 20:46:46 7,763 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    ..when I can sit in bed in my pants and fap away.
  • Whizzo 16 Apr 2012 21:01:55 43,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rather than buying new, why not pick up a cheap refurb from somewhere like this and save some cash?

Got an 80 quid X60 today from them and I'm quite impressed with it for what I want to do.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 16 April 2012 21:50:22
    Whizzo wrote:
    Rather than buying new, why not pick up a cheap refurb from somewhere like this and save some cash?

Got an 80 quid X60 today from them and I'm quite impressed with it for what I want to do.
    Was just about to recommend exactly the same place. The pair of HP laptops I got from there have turned out to be absolutely sterling buys.
  • MetalDog 17 Apr 2012 11:23:40 23,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I find myself needing something like this. It's prime use will be for writing on, I really don't need it to do anything other than fit in a small backpack, not weigh a tonne and be able to run/read Word.doc

What's the best bet?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• MightyMetalMonkey 17 Apr 2012 11:48:17 600 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MetalDog

Small netbook.
    Most come with Windows 7 light (Starter I think the cut down version is called)
    Will run Word, has a proper keyboard, will have few connectivity problems.

I wouldn't recommend an Ipad for this use as there is no real keyboard.
    Ipads look impressive until you realise that they are really just toys for pretentious people with too much money.
    Proper apple Mac laptops are fine, it's just the Ipad I have problems with. (Buy a kindle if you want to read e-books)
  • MetalDog 17 Apr 2012 12:02:04 23,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheers dude. No danger of me crossing over to Appletown - too expensive for a glorified typewriter =)

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• grey_matters 4 May 2012 22:51:54 3,799 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anybody know of any deals on these things? A refurb might even do the trick.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 May 2012 23:33:34 9,941 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Worth mentioning that Windows 7 Starter won't let you play DVD's.
  • mal 5 May 2012 01:44:15 22,711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wehey! But Linux will, although you may need to install the naughty codecs using the GUI first (not sure, you will have to to play MP3). Still, works nicely for free once you have IME.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• grey_matters 5 May 2012 03:48:06 3,799 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll just be used as an e-mail terminal for my not-very-tech-savvy parents mostly. As there doesn't seem to be too many deals around, I'm half thinking of getting an ICS loaded 7" Android tablet and a cheap keyboard/case combo. New system equals new problems (for me, explaining how the new thing works) but may be worth it in the long run.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next