Crysis 3 Page 10

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 February 2013 18:37:52
    Tesco were selling FIFA and black ops 2 for 48 this week!!
  • garydecalmer 23 Feb 2013 20:16:43 19 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i think the hunter mode is amazing, so tense those last 10 seconds and you are the only cell member left alive cowering away in a corner with 2 shotgun shells left XD

havnt touched single player yet mutliplayer as me hooked!

Mother Is God In The Eyes Of A Child!

• aeschylus 23 Feb 2013 21:16:47 446 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    garydecalmer wrote:
    i think the hunter mode is amazing, so tense those last 10 seconds and you are the only cell member left alive cowering away in a corner with 2 shotgun shells left XD

havnt touched single player yet mutliplayer as me hooked!
    has me as well, I am a realist though, with only 4000 players online (not sure if that is europe/worldwide etc) with a double XP launch weekend, I fear the MP will be a ghost ship in a month

Edited by aeschylus at 21:17:06 23-02-2013
  • Tuffty 23 Feb 2013 21:53:10 1,609 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playing on Super Soldier difficulty and the AI seems to have ridiculous senses. Like one area in Mission 1, where I take out someone with a stealth kill underneath the stairs, and the guard above immediately sees me, presumable from this tiny gap between steps, as that's where he's shooting through. Another time I shoot the lookout on the overhead bridge with the bow and all the guards below somehow get alerted. How? I thought killing with the bow was super silent? Even so, there's no way to see the guy's body as he's above everyone and you cannot see through the metal walkway. I kept replaying that section to see if I could get a perfect stealth walkthrough and only just managed to make it. But it was hard going because of instances like the aforementioned, kill someone with a bow and everyone in the area is alerted to it. It almost feels like a bug. It might be easier if you could pick up the bodies and hide them, but you can't even do that. I guess I shouldn't get to worked up about it and just go with the flow, otherwise this might just drive me crazy.
  • Deleted user 23 February 2013 23:05:36
    Not sure but on normal difficulty the bow is silent, stealth killing de cloaks you until you upgrade it.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Feb 2013 23:13:33 14,791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just completed on veteran.
    Time. 4h 23m
    51.97%

Loads of black boxes and datapads to find...I might try and get s few more.

Overall campaign of C2 still my favorite of the trilogy.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• TVoJ 24 Feb 2013 10:43:10 1,968 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Just completed on veteran.
    Time. 4h 23m
    51.97%

Loads of black boxes and datapads to find...I might try and get s few more.

Overall campaign of C2 still my favorite of the trilogy.
    I honestly don't know how you can say that. I'm only an hour or so in and already its wowed me 10 x more than 2 ever did. I honestly can't even remember anything from it.

When you walk out of that milita control room and see that dam, wow. What a great looking game. I'm on 360 too, and I'd love to see it on my rig.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Feb 2013 10:51:45 14,791 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TVoJ
    Horses (horse meat) for courses my man:-)
    Still a good game.

...don't say "rig" you mean PC I assume.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jagg3r 24 Feb 2013 11:02:46 1,037 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They must of tweaked this from the beta, played a few hours online on pc last night and it was great, very little to no lag in most games, runs and looks fantastic.Tried an hour of single player and the graphics are stunning.
  • Syrette 24 Feb 2013 12:35:00 43,599 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Been playing MP on this for a while today, think I'm going to start ignoring the challenges though as they're dictating what I do a little too much.

Rather play it in my own way and pick up whatever challenges along the way.

I'm not sure if getting 25 done for the achievement/trophy is daunting or actually not that bad.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 24 Feb 2013 12:59:46 6,652 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's quite fun to charge round like a madhead with a shotgun on deathmatch.
  • garydecalmer 24 Feb 2013 14:23:08 19 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @aeschylus yeah i feel after the double xp weekend its gonna take an age to rank up!

hydro dam is the easiest to stay alive in in my opinion, just hide in the water theres a little island with a tree on it just hide underneath it theyll never find you :')

• SlimSpudly87 24 Feb 2013 15:22:27 72 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished the game, felt like it was over and done way to quickly. Didn't feel like I rushed either
  • marcgiu 24 Feb 2013 15:26:35 135 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loving the MP on this - some very good maps.

Feel free to add me on 360 - my GT is mantgiu
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:17:17 7,908 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm at the dam.  How far in is that?
  • garydecalmer 24 Feb 2013 19:17:35 19 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    i am getting pissed off with the sound glitches D:

• Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:21:16 7,908 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    garydecalmer wrote:
    i am getting pissed off with the sound glitches D:
    All good on the PC.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 19:40:45
    I'm right at the end, never had sound issue.

I detest your characters voice, sounds unbelievablely cheesy. Cross between optimus prime and the guy who does all the cheesy trailers.
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Feb 2013 19:48:31 7,908 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

I detest your characters voice, sounds unbelievablely cheesy. Cross between optimus prime and the guy who does all the cheesy trailers.
    I was wondering where the space voice was coming from.  You mean that's me?  I thought the PC was picking up the TV from next door again.
  • Deleted user 24 February 2013 20:00:25
    One thing I love about the game is it makes you feel like a predator. When I focused my upgrades on speed and stealth I was so lethal and with the bow I could clear areas in minutes with everyone dead without a sound. Very satisfying.
  • itinkuravinalaff 25 Feb 2013 10:48:12 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can afford to wait till this is well down in price, didn't think much of multiplayer and too short to warrant full price.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Feb 2013 11:10:15 3,319 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

Would you have preferred Joe Pasquale?, or Dale Winton?

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Deleted user 25 February 2013 11:21:54
    Just a normal guys voice. Not some ott American super hero stereotype.
  • garydecalmer 25 Feb 2013 14:29:48 19 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    how many levels are there in the campaign? ive just destroyed some fire breathing things with legs and just windered how long i got left to go

• PrivateFloyd 25 Feb 2013 19:25:22 4,150 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm...

Has this been posted yet?

Wowzers.

Goat is hungry.....

• Luke_Martin_VA 25 Feb 2013 23:50:24 160 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Apologies for breaking rank (and promises) EG, but this game deserves the praise, I'm afraid. Worth getting in trouble for. F'ing awesome.

From time to time we’re all forced to brave beyond the familiarity of our cherished comfort zone. Raise your game and dress to impress: some relish the experience whereas others recoil in horror.

The next time you're invited to a wedding, sit back and quietly observe how people either flap around like a fish-out-of-water or throw themselves fully into the occasion regardless of the cost; material or otherwise.

Change reveals all, it seems, and it's something that the Crysis trilogy has seen more than its fair share of. The seismic shift from open-ended, sandbox experience on bleeding-edge PCs to tightly-scripted, corridor-shooter squeezed into ageing consoles left a good many scratching their nano-suited heads in utter shock and disbelief.

Not I.

Crysis landed during the early years of my hiatus from PC gaming so I was more than happy to lap-up its console-based sequel and the original re-make that followed soon thereafter. Sampling both titles in relatively quick succession and in the wrong order painted their similarities and differences out in perhaps even starker contrast. Yet there was a distinctly tangible undercurrent flowing though the two in equal measure: a strong sense of both quality and refinement. From the sumptuous visuals to the memorable characters and open-ended, dynamic combat, it was clear that this was a series born of confidence and vision and of the desire to achieve something bold and unique in the fiercely unforgiving arena that is AAA Sci-Fi FPS.

Here was a franchise not merely trying; it was succeeding in rubbing shoulders with the near-messianic pillars of Half-Life and Halo. There was suddenly a third way.

And whilst Crytek must be lauded for having the brazened confidence and conviction to so heavily re-formulate their recipe after such a successful opening act, it’s still to their immense credit that, for the final act, they have chosen to re-calibrate things once more;  albeit this time with only the very best that the series has to offer, distilling practically every element possible from narrative to controls, graphics, audio, level design, combat strategy and multiplayer into a perfectly balanced formula.

As far as third acts of trilogies go: Crysis 3 is outrageously successful.

Set over twenty years after the end of its predecessor, we begin with Prophet caged in stasis by the C.E.L.L Corporation. Since the defeat of the Ceph at the end of Crysis 2, C.E.L.L. have harvested what remained of their powerful technology to further fuel their nefarious ambition of global domination. It would appear that the last piece of the puzzle is to be found from harvesting Prophet’s suit from his body (they didn’t think to do this first?) and it’s the transit of Prophet from cold-storage to C.E.L.L.'s fancy new bio-dome in New York that serves as the game’s opening.

Well, I say that it’s Prophet’s body that they want out of the suit. Truth be known, it’s Alcatraz’s body and therein lays the crux of C3’s narrative.

Prophet’s consciousness has now been fully integrated into the delightful DNA sandwich that is the Ceph-derived nanosuit wrapped lovingly around Alcatraz’s animated corpse; he is clearly haunted by the fact that he has sacrificed so much to get this far.

No mention of young Mr Alcatraz’s fate, however. Acceptable collateral damage, it would seem. Just don't tell the missus.

It’s in these opening sequences that the foil to Prophet’s angst is raucously fleshed-out in the form of the now de-suited Psycho, the only other remaining Raptor Team member from the Lingshan incident. Whilst this loud, brutish, cockney soundboard provides the perfect platform on which to build tension and soul-searching, it’s somewhat of an unwelcome irritant at times given that the first two titles, whilst rich with supporting characters, never thrust anyone into your face quite so much as C3 does Psycho. It’s a strange juxtaposition in a series that has prided itself so much on lone-wolf freedoms; narratively and literally.

Quite simply: the guy well and truly gets into your bubble.

The trade-off is, however, ultimately worth it with C3 delivering the most human and memorable plot in the franchise; one that manages to expertly tie-up all of those loose ends into a wonderfully crafted bow of delicious carnage and sci-fi goodness.

Speaking of bows: you must've had your head up a Ceph’s backside for this last year to have missed Prophet’s shiny new toy.

Given the mixed introduction of the bow into other franchises, I approached it here with some trepidation as opposed to the awe and wonder that I suspect the folks in marketing had hoped for. To my knowledge, the only game that has made good use of this seemingly misunderstood instrument is the N64 classic, Turok, with every other title since treating it like a somewhat hobbled and pathetic sniper-rifle. Given that Crysis’ attention has always been on guns, guts and glory: what hope was there of it being well-implemented here?

Plenty, it seems.

Introduced almost immediately, if somewhat ham-fistedly, the compound-bow is arguably the most deeply developed of all of C3’s many customisable and tactically versatile weapons. There are a variety of tips and even draw-strengths on offer to tailor the experience to any given scenario. Such is the way of Crysis. Bow ammunition is wonderfully scarce and therefore the immense power of this weapon is balanced expertly with a sense of conservatism and restraint. Standard arrows can be retrieved from both fallen corpses and the environment - but will the path to them put you too much in harm’s way? Would it not be wiser to take the hit on ammunition and not risk a costly skirmish? Decisions, decisions...

Approaching any combat scenario is a pure joy: spotting and marking enemies; carefully considering the best tool for the job; further customising it to suit your particular play-style; plotting a path through the rich and varied terrain – it just never gets old. And all of this before you've considered whether or not to go in with cloak engaged or with maximum armour, or perhaps a bit of both?

The possibilities are, quite literally, endless.

Combined with what appears to be significantly improved AI and the prospect of swift re-enforcements should you create too much of a disturbance, what you’re left with is a game that doesn't just challenge you to complete a section, it begs you to complete it with style. It's one of those rare beasts that makes you feel compelled to restart a checkpoint just to see if you can make it through with your head held just that little bit higher.

As you start to settle into a particularly rhythmic and lethal routine, the Ceph appear just to mix things up, throwing you a lovely, alien-sized curveball. Feeling faster and more brutal than ever before and sporting some new combat-classes that range from the irritatingly persistent to the terrifyingly resistant, C3 keeps you on your toes at all times like a truly great shooter should. It knows exactly when to vary the pace and mix its ingredients to keep things feeling fresh and progressive throughout. It’s rare that a game manages to consistently strike this balance for the duration; it's an absolute joy to behold when it does.

And if the highs of the campaign weren't enough to entice you back into fancy-pants spandex, multiplayer offers an equally robust, polished and refined experience.

Feeling like a perfectly balanced mixture of Halo, COD and, at times, Splinter Cell’s online components, the depth and breadth of variety on offer here is as impressive as the smooth net-code and masterful level design. Riffing off previous games in the series almost as much as basking in its own glory, its twelve maps are taut and well-balanced. The variety of modes on offer means that there’s plenty to become completely absorbed in and, as with the campaign, the whole experience is simply dripping with quality and professionalism. It’s almost impossible to fault and, quite simply, if you love Crysis, you’ll adore this.

And so in closing: a crescendo, not a whimper; an explosion, not a muted clap; a finely-tailored tuxedo, not an ill-fitting wedding suit. We asked and Crytek delivered. Perhaps even more so than any other AAA Sci-Fi FPS franchise given the awkward blip that was Halo 2’s deliriously incoherent plot and the painfully protracted exile of Half-Life 3.

Before you go; word to the wise: you’re a super-soldier; act like one.

Tackle C3 on anything but super-soldier difficulty and you’re completely missing the point of the exercise. Whereas some games ramp-up the difficulty with arbitrarily bad design decisions, Crysis has always achieved it by forcing you to think more deeply and more strategically about your actions and their consequences. In an age of run-and-gun carnage and the blind obsession with bigger = better, it's the very definition of a cerebral shooter.

“They called me Prophet. Remember me”

Duly noted, my good man.

Edited by Luke_Martin_VA at 21:32:51 26-02-2013

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• Deleted user 26 February 2013 00:30:52
    @Luke_Martin_VA Right. For a start, you can't write. Just thought I'd clear that up. Well, technically you can 'write' as the above diarrhoea proves - just not very well. It's a horrible, unstructured mess with pretentions towards blogging rather than a measured and considered prose opinion piece.

This is a sentence. Three or four of these make a paragraph. These are the building blocks of coherent writing and are usually thematically or contextually related.

Read Hemingway. A simple and elegant sentence structure is more persuasive and alluring than one laced with metaphorical bombast. It works, breaking down your 'essay' to intelligible and accessible material.

The semicolon is not going out of style; in other news, commas are fun!

Hyperbolic rhetoric is wonderfully effective in spoken English. Applied with aplomb and good timing, it often frames and emphasises a poignant conclusion. Using it every second paragraph makes me want to kill you.
  • garydecalmer 26 Feb 2013 00:50:26 19 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    has anybody else had problems at the end of crisis? ive killed the alpha cell 4 times and everytime after the cutscene my xbox freezes D: and the game doesnt end, few people have had this problem just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? im only a few seconds from 55G :')

• Luke_Martin_VA 26 Feb 2013 07:47:40 160 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    @Luke_Martin_VA Right. For a start, you can't write. Just thought I'd clear that up. Well, technically you can 'write' as the above diarrhoea proves - just not very well. It's a horrible, unstructured mess with pretentions towards blogging rather than a measured and considered prose opinion piece.

This is a sentence. Three or four of these make a paragraph. These are the building blocks of coherent writing and are usually thematically or contextually related.

Read Hemingway. A simple and elegant sentence structure is more persuasive and alluring than one laced with metaphorical bombast. It works, breaking down your 'essay' to intelligible and accessible material.

The semicolon is not going out of style; in other news, commas are fun!

Hyperbolic rhetoric is wonderfully effective in spoken English. Applied with aplomb and good timing, it often frames and emphasises a poignant conclusion. Using it every second paragraph makes me want to kill you.
    Ha! Loving the passion and points duly noted. I'll stick with the style though, I think. It's served me well in life thus far!

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• KeatsSeven 26 Feb 2013 09:53:37 2 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HurbleBurble Love the way you try to put him down by using as many complex phrases as possible. You even mentioned Hemmingway to make yourself sound as clevererly as possible.

I bet you went over your own post dozens of times to make sure it was grammatically correct, yes?

And to quote from your hero Hemmingway: "Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors"

Apply that with aplomb, and shove your hyperbolic rhetoric up your arse.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last