Shadowrun Returns - KickStarter

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • SlackMaster 5 Apr 2012 13:26:11 3,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This hasn't been covered in the news on the site so though I'd start a thread on the forum.

Shadowrun Info

Pledge here

For anyone who has played the role playing games or read the books...
    Forget the crap xbox 360 shooter, they are going to make a story focused tactical RPG.

The world is a mix of cyberpunk and fantasy... Am excited. :p

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• 1Dgaf 5 Apr 2012 13:29:34 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whenever people call the SR shooter 'crap' I wonder if they've played it.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• SlackMaster 5 Apr 2012 13:34:55 3,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @1Dgaf Played it, and it was fun but just a waste of the franchise and universe.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• w00t 5 Apr 2012 13:46:53 11,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed, fun game but didn't need the Shadowrun setting at all.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Machetazo 5 Apr 2012 23:01:59 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    28 hrs later...

FUNDED :D 'grats to them! The jubilant, appreciative video from the devs also includes some ideas of things that they would like to add to the game, using any further pledged funds, in the remaining 23 days of the Kickstarter.
    Doing the "Social Media Dance of Love", would also really help HBS out. For those wishing to, more details in the OP's link.
  • 1Dgaf 5 Apr 2012 23:15:04 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I understand when people think IPs weren't exploited properly, but at least SR was a good shooter and not a cash-in. I'm OK with IPs being explored and different genres being teased out of them. I think the main mistake is when the IP is treated as the USP instead of the gameplay.

But if you thought it was fun, then I assume you don't really think it was crap. There's a difference between a game not being what you want and game not being good.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Madder-Max 6 Apr 2012 01:08:08 11,622 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SlackMaster

loved the concept an bought the game.......but the controls on 360 were disgraceful. will keep an eye on this.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Dirtbox 6 Apr 2012 02:11:09 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This kickstarter business is getting out of hand.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• SolidSCB 6 Apr 2012 02:38:20 6,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't wait until the first wave of projects are finished and released and 90% of the games absolutely stink. It was a neat little idea at first but I can see far too much tripe getting greenlighted because people were busy getting caught up in some faux revolution.
  • Machetazo 6 Apr 2012 11:21:33 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Rubbish. How is it getting out of hand? These are games that will be released, that otherwise wouldn't..Why do you disapprove? It's not as if people aren't pledging willingly.

One of the disappointments of FPS Shadowrun was that FASA did not (it was felt) make best use of the license, and in essence, tried to sell a regular FPS on the strength of the IP.

If you read the project details, you would see that the original creator went to some lengths to get development rights to the IP back, already. He and HBS want to present that Shadowrun game, but think they'll struggle to sell the idea of their game to the right publisher. So, they ask anybody who shares their enthusiasm to put a little funding up-front, with tiered rewards, and no project is funded until it reaches its target.
  • Ginger 6 Apr 2012 11:29:07 6,827 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I can't wait until the first wave of projects are finished and released and 90% of the games absolutely stink. It was a neat little idea at first but I can see far too much tripe getting greenlighted because people were busy getting caught up in some faux revolution.
    So just because it might be shit, they shouldn't try something ambitious?

Edited by Ginger at 12:03:20 06-04-2012

London open taekwondo champion

• Machetazo 6 Apr 2012 11:30:47 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Next time you complain there's another CoD that the media is deliriously fawning over, and the front pages are chocka with little but, remember your post.
    The ONLY projects being funded are those that people want to see brought to completion. It's not our place to argue the ones that make it or don't. People who claim to love making games, are going to be able and eager to continue to do so. I don't see the problem, other than maybe, with a creative industry whose standard bearers are reluctant to promote creativity.

Kickstarter exists and is seeing success, for a reason, and as a response. Similar to one of the commenters in the front page post, I would agree and mention, that this is at least in part in keeping with the founding of the commercial software industry...Again, where's the problem.
  • Lexx87 6 Apr 2012 12:34:04 20,869 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It will crash, eventually, but right now it's a way for people to get the games they've wanted for years made.

Speak the truth hussy!

• SolidSCB 6 Apr 2012 12:42:31 6,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not arguing that some absolutely top games will come from this, but it seems the initial excitement has got everyone eager to fund almost everything under the pretence that they are saving the industry one game at a time. Eventually, some truly awful games will come from this and then the whole model will be fall in on itself because the whole thing is based on trust.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 12:45:04
    90% like normal funded games then?
  • SolidSCB 6 Apr 2012 12:52:50 6,408 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, but the awful games will come a lot sooner than people think. Sometimes Mr. Big Bad Publisher is right to filter out and nix certain ideas. Some of the initial ideas that came when kickstarter blew up were decent, it has quickly escalated to devs crying that the evil Publishers are refusing to give them a couple of suitcases full of money to make their latest brain fart a reality.
  • DocX 6 Apr 2012 13:11:10 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For me, $15 really isn't a very big gamble when it means a game I've been waiting years for might actually get made and possibly turn out good. Projects will fail, I'm sure, but I don't really understand the sneering.
  • SirScratchalot 6 Apr 2012 13:57:10 7,872 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What worries me about this is that software development is difficult.
    On the other hand limited scope games with settings and gameplay I'm interested in is a very good one.

Edited by SirScratchalot at 13:57:35 06-04-2012
  • DocX 6 Apr 2012 15:00:41 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Because the market for this game is too small for publishers to be interested. The market is big enough to fund development of a 2d rpg though.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 15:03:32
    spacewarrior wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    it is. fans shouldn't be funding games. the developer should be.
    Why?
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 15:17:45
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 15:21:07
    But this isn't reaaaally 'funding' the game, is it? You're effectively pre-ordering, and the developer is using that pre-order money to make the game. 'Funding' the game implies you're getting nothing back. The vast majority of Kickstarter pledges are basically buying the game in advance.

Edited by meme at 15:21:32 06-04-2012
  • DocX 6 Apr 2012 15:36:19 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes pre-ordering is how I view my 3 pledges so far, with the incentive being they might not be made if I didn't.
  • King_Edward 6 Apr 2012 15:38:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do you get the game for free (not free but, you know) when it comes out?
  • DocX 6 Apr 2012 15:39:37 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, for a $15 pledge.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 15:55:14
    You don't have to buy the game, most of the kickstarter projects give pledgers a free copy for donating.

You also don't appear to know how kickstarter works, which makes me wonder why you're moaning about it - you only get charged for your pledge once the project hits its target. If it doesn't make it to the target, no-one pays anything.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous