PlayStation 4 Page 226

• Page

of 727 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 October 2013 12:22:50
    Kafeen wrote:
    ianegg wrote:
    richardiox wrote:$ONY are equally as guilty, those proprietary Vita memory cards aren't cheap. £PPLE do it too. There's a theme here with corporations and profits.
    LPPLE?
    APP£E?
    APPL£?
    They all pull this kind of stunt, but I'd argue Apple are the worst offenders for it.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 12:24:31
    Of course they are, they are fucking horrendous, and the sheer price of their proprietary shit.
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Oct 2013 12:28:18 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    jimlufc wrote:
    @xuiton you're a weirdo. I use batteries all the time.

They are better in every way. Cheap as chips to replace, massive capacity, and always have some charged to slap in when the pad goes dead.

Why wouldn't you use batteries?
    Lemme think... well, probably they're fucking shit. And bad for nature. Do you really want to kill nature? You're a horrible person.
    I use rechargeable batteries in my 360 controller.
    I use the play and charge kit. On my Slim it does not hold a charge at all. So it gets used as a wired controller.

Oddly the same charge kit on my old Premium gets an hours charge. (Still not great but at least it works when it is not plugged in).
  • Kafeen 3 Oct 2013 13:16:38 552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I use the play and charge kit. On my Slim it does not hold a charge at all. So it gets used as a wired controller.
    Mine's the same, won't hold charge at all now. DS3 still stays charged though.

I guess if they do stop holding charge it is only the charger that's going to need replacing rather than the whole pad.

Using batteries does what the advantage that you can swap to new ones if they do run out mid-session but if you don't have any in then you're going to be in a much worse position.

Personally I prefer a rechargeable pad, cut down on waste and what not.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 14:02:59
    Having used both, I find the DS3 far better. Charge holds really well and I usually just plug it in to charge when I'm waiting for something to download. Usually charges very quick too.

What interests me now is what is the DS4 battery like with the new features.

Edited by SG59 at 14:05:23 03-10-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 3 Oct 2013 14:05:45 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In terms of charging the DS3 is certainly better than the 360 pad. However I did prefer the 360 pad in almost every other respect. Going to be a bit odd going to the DS4. I hope it is as good as everyone says.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 14:18:52
    I never really had an issue with either pad really. Going from word of mouth and reports, seems like both are on par with each other now.

I'm not sure on the new X1 pad. The controller sounded cool at first, but since then I've heard mix opinions. Apparently, the changes are noticeable and have thrown a few people off liking it.
  • lexxx 3 Oct 2013 14:18:58 164 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Grr my pre-order got cancelled (sort of my own fault - the card I used to pre-order way back in June runs out before release, I thought I would be able to update the details with the replacement card, but apparently not). But I'm not devastated, simply because there are enough current gen Q4 releases to keep me going.
  • mrpon 3 Oct 2013 14:22:52 28,416 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh shit I need to check that!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• lexxx 3 Oct 2013 14:31:38 164 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's Toys R Us... other retailers might be more flexible/less rubbish.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 14:33:14
    I was going to say, it must be a particularly crap retailer.
  • Kangoo 3 Oct 2013 15:24:38 1,015 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @lexxx

They will probably try and do something like this again so not a complete loss.

Pretty sure there will be stock by Christmas if you are tempted by what Sony have been saying.

PSN: Adwab2

• Deleted user 3 October 2013 17:07:58
    Sony acknowledge they are the underdogs in America: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/03/sony-acknowledges-its-the-underdog-in-america?abthid=524d4f626cede6ba3c000006

I thought sales were pretty even everywhere but Japan for 360 and PS3?

Edited by SG59 at 17:11:06 03-10-2013
  • Aretak 3 Oct 2013 19:11:17 10,345 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    Sony acknowledge they are the underdogs in America: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/03/sony-acknowledges-its-the-underdog-in-america?abthid=524d4f626cede6ba3c000006

I thought sales were pretty even everywhere but Japan for 360 and PS3?
    No, the 360 outsold the PS3 by quite a bit in the US and UK. That was levelled up in terms of worldwide sales by the reverse being true pretty much everywhere else. It goes to show how big the US market is that Microsoft can be pretty much non-existant in one continent, and way less popular than a competitor in another, yet still come out level (or even just ahead) overall. Of course, launching a year earlier and the PS3's disastrous first couple of years helped a fair bit.
  • oceanmotion 3 Oct 2013 19:25:31 15,641 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting to see if the strong US and UK base continues for Xbox.

NFL in the US at least and COD as usual. Are the masses loyal? Does a gamertag, gamerscore, friends list mean that much?

Could be stick to what you know but a 100 quid less, who knows.
  • jellyBelly 3 Oct 2013 19:28:54 354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Uk is up for grabs i think, US less so

Edited by jellyBelly at 19:29:44 03-10-2013

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• ecureuil 3 Oct 2013 19:37:46 76,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:

NFL in the US at least and COD as usual. Are the masses loyal? Does a gamertag, gamerscore, friends list mean that much?

Stick with what you know I guess. I work with a guy who's your typical COD+FIFA player and I asked him what made him choose Xbox One instead of a PS4. He didn't even seem to know, just gave a sort of "duuuuh new Xbox" answer. Like he didn't even have a choice.

Edited by ecureuil at 20:00:10 03-10-2013
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 19:52:31
    ecureuil wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:

Stick with what you know I guess. I work with a guy who's your typical COD+FIFA player and I asked him what made him choose Xbox One instead of a PS4. He didn't even seem to know, just gave a sort of "duuuuh new Xbox" answered. Like he didn't even have a choice.
    Don't know why, but people like that annoy me. If they actually stopped and thought...

Also, it seems most polls are indicating the British want an PS4 more at the moment. For what it's worth...

Edited by SG59 at 20:02:23 03-10-2013
  • ecureuil 3 Oct 2013 20:04:01 76,482 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, can't get my head around it. Not that he's not getting a PS4, I don't really care what people buy, but it's crazy to me that he's not even weighed up the pros and cons before deciding to drop over 500 quid on a new games console. Makes me wonder how many people there are like that.
  • Gruff 3 Oct 2013 20:07:20 2,839 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If they had made the Xbone back compatible it would have swayed into sticking with it.

All the info I have points to the PS4 having more grunt, and this is more or less confirmed by Microsoft pleading their case the past few weeks saying they have got 5% more efficiency from their final chip or how they have 10% more power to give from kinect services, they sound desperate.

Plus the overkill with turning it into a TV device (biased towards the US market) holds zero interest for me.

Happy with my PS4 pre order, only hope Microsofts money does not turn software companies against what I think will be the more capable platform

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Aretak 3 Oct 2013 20:08:21 10,345 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:

There's a 16,000+ post thread dedicated to the next-gen consoles on a UK-centric non-gaming forum I visit, and based on what's being said in there I'd say most casual gamers who mainly play CoD and FIFA are sticking with Microsoft. Main reasons generally seem to be friends list, achievements and preferring the controller.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 20:26:43
    @PazJohnMitch did you have an email posted in the 'inbox' on Metro Game Central the other day?
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 20:35:48
    ecureuil wrote:
    Yeah, can't get my head around it. Not that he's not getting a PS4, I don't really care what people buy, but it's crazy to me that he's not even weighed up the pros and cons before deciding to drop over 500 quid on a new games console. Makes me wonder how many people there are like that.
    Same. If they were the same price, more understandable, but it seems downright bizarre people like him haven't even weighed up the pros and cons when the one they haven't chosen has some pretty fucking big pros, like being 80 quid cheaper, being more powerful, and having PS Plus.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 20:44:58
    I'm not certain about PSPlus to be honest. It sounds good, but your basically renting these games when some of them can be bought for about £10/15 now.
  • oceanmotion 3 Oct 2013 20:53:34 15,641 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think whatever your friend buys may come into play with the masses. If PS4 sells that much more on launch I think you may see people follow like they did with 360 in the early years. If they were both the same price I don't think there would be much between them but being so much cheaper and once word gets around the PS4 controller is actually good I could see the PS4 getting a good base compared to Xbox One.

I don't think the masses actually care that much until release. The word of mouth starts then and we can see how things play out.
  • oceanmotion 3 Oct 2013 20:59:22 15,641 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    I'm not certain about PSPlus to be honest. It sounds good, but your basically renting these games when some of them can be bought for about £10/15 now.
    If you care about owning them. Bargain to get so many good and recent games.

I'm not sure of PSPlus on PS4. Time will tell if Sony will be so generous when they have a guaranteed base of paying customers for online play. Microsoft know they don't need to do shit because of that with Xbox Live Gold.

Edited by oceanmotion at 21:00:22 03-10-2013
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 21:06:21
    SG59 wrote:
    I think the average price of the games I've downloaded for PS3/Vita is closer to 20.

I have about 15 games and over 20 PS3 games, maybe 22 or so. That's 37 games, totalling £740 if they are a score each. Almost all solid titles too, hardly any crap. Even if they total £15 each, that's £555. And that only costs 40 quid, as I've been subscribing since Christmas or New Year.

Calling it a rental service is selling it short. It's a permanent rental service as long as you retain your subscription, where you can play anything you've ever rented any time you want. That alone makes it completely different to a traditional rental service where you just play/watch 1 or 2 things at a time.

Not sure how you can be unsure of PS Plus tbh, it's the best service any console manufacturer has ever offered, just unbelievable value.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 21:11:00
    Because to get access to part of your games library your having to pay £40 a year. If you don't, it all goes out the window. And if you decide not to re-subscribe, you've just lost a whole lot of money for what exactly?
  • Derblington 3 Oct 2013 21:15:14 21,264 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But to play online on PS4 you have to subscribe, same as a Gold sub. Most people won't let that lapse and in comparison it's a steal.

No one ever claims you're only renting the MP on X360 games...
  • Kostabi 3 Oct 2013 21:15:58 4,874 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't call being able to play the games for a year losing money. Fact is, anyone who plays more than a couple of titles on PS+ and enjoys them gets their £40 worth.

The sense of ownership is a different argument but you're not paying for ownership, you're paying to play.
  • Page

of 727 First / Last