PlayStation 4 Page 45

• Page

of 817 First / Last

• SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 17:27:38 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was news at the time after Sony's constant removal of features. Other companies do it, but none had any need to.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:28:03 22-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 22 Jan 2013 17:29:20 60,419 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooh. Cinavia. Thats another thing that means I probably wont get a PS4.

Unless the 360 has it, in which case, fuck everybody.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ronuds 22 Jan 2013 17:32:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Well, some of that list of PS3 gripes was a tad window-lickerish as well. :p
    Such as? They're all common gripes held by the industry press as opposed to random crap gleaned from a single forum.
    The opinion that PSN is 3rd rate in the face of the competition and the PS3 sounds like a vacuum don't really sound like widely-held press opinions.

There does seem to be an industry-wide opinion that XBLA is a biatch to try and put a game on.
  • SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 17:36:45 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The fan noise after an update a few years ago is well documented. And PSN might seem like a matter of opinion, but after months being offline, I don't think there's any doubt to it.

Edited by Dirtbox at 17:37:20 22-01-2013

• ronuds 22 Jan 2013 17:39:51 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    Well, some of that list of PS3 gripes was a tad window-lickerish as well. :p
    The TOS thing was, for sure. I doubt most even knew it happened. Even if they did, everyone has done it in the US now... because they can.
    I don't even know how I got roped into this debate, tbh.

I think that overall, Sony's rep is worse - but MS isn't squeaky clean. There you go.

Dirtbox wins.
  • drip 22 Jan 2013 17:42:10 4,276 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't we all (or at least the majority with common sense) agree that both PS3 and X360 were excellent consoles, delivering pretty much the same? Sure, the PS3 was pricier, but for that you got a BD player, if you wanted it or not.

Really, what's the point, other than getting upset about something that's totally not worth it?

I mean, the real prick was the Wii, which was such filthy dysmal garbage that no European language knows any words for it, including the Russian. Only mentioning the Wiimote makes my mouth... ARRGRR *gnawing table*
  • SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 17:43:16 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No one said MS's rep was squeaky clean, it's just a lot better and they've picked up the loyalty that Sony has squandered.

• SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 17:47:38 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Who's upset? I love guessing about what might be and basing those speculations on what has gone before.

• ronuds 22 Jan 2013 17:52:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just feel like they're entering this gen on equal footing. As long as MS makes a console that works and Sony makes one that we don't have to work 3 jobs plus overtime for, they should each do fine.

If MS's goal is to put Sony away then I think they're going to have to spend and lose a lot of money, with no guarantees. I don't think they want to do that.

Lose money, that is.
  • SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 17:58:15 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sony has a great opportunity to start afresh, release a fairly open console with sensible hardware and the minimum amount of gimmicks and proprietary shite and make a pure gaming box that appeals to people like you and me.

The Xbox has luggage like Kinect that doesn't appeal to the majority of high consumption gamers, but they feel it has to be included because they're wanting to push their own proprietary shit now.

• Psychotext 22 Jan 2013 18:48:27 54,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oooh. Cinavia. Thats another thing that means I probably wont get a PS4.

Unless the 360 has it, in which case, fuck everybody.
    It doesn't, thankfully.

I really, really hate Cinavia. If it wasn't for that I'd likely use the PS3 for all media playback.
  • Yautja_Warrior 24 Jan 2013 19:24:53 2 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS While they are not perfect, I dont think they are "shit" as you say. They both have good and bad points but it must have been 8 long years for you if you think they are both shit.

As for PS3 being the worst, how can you say that if you only have a PS3? What makes it bad for you? I love my PS3 way more than my 360.

I don't remember the last time I turned my 360 on and I cancelled xbox live, well over a year ago now. At least Sony kept the games coming while Microsoft turned into Kinect box. Sorry xbox fans but we know its true, I used to love my 360 but Microsoft have pretty much given up on core games at the moment, they need to bring the games next gen or Sony will be on top.
  • Psychotext 24 Jan 2013 19:29:40 54,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That you love either speaks volumes. :p
  • ronuds 24 Jan 2013 21:37:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony's got those 2 new IPs out this year (or is one for 2014?), but I honestly don't see them putting a much greater effort toward core titles than MS. I believe that is a false perception, tbh.

MS could use some new IPs for next gen, no doubt, but so could Sony imo. If this gen was famous for anything, it would have been that a few money-making IPs and lots of sequels were the order of the day.

Nobody's swimming in original IPs... or console exclusives, for that matter.

Edited by ronuds at 21:38:08 24-01-2013
  • Bremenacht 24 Jan 2013 22:25:12 18,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw the Motorway sign earlier, and thought of Sony:

:(
  • Psychotext 24 Jan 2013 23:39:29 54,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Nobody's swimming in original IPs... or console exclusives, for that matter.
    I think they've both got it pretty well covered with XBLA / PSN, but for whatever retarded reason people don't seem to think those games actually count for anything.

Apparently when you download something it actually ceases to exist and all value is drained.
  • djronz. 25 Jan 2013 07:10:21 283 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Sony has a great opportunity to start afresh, release a fairly open console with sensible hardware and the minimum amount of gimmicks and proprietary shite and make a pure gaming box that appeals to people like you and me.

The Xbox has luggage like Kinect that doesn't appeal to the majority of high consumption gamers, but they feel it has to be included because they're wanting to push their own proprietary shit now.
    What proprietary shite dud Sony have on ps3?  You could use any hdd,  usb,  but otherwise headset with ps3,  as far as I can tell this is stark contrast to ms's tact of charging for proprietary add ons for xbox.... Wifi,  hdd,  battery packs anyone?
  • SpaceDave3000 25 Jan 2013 18:20:13 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    djronz. wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

What proprietary shite dud Sony have on ps3?  You could use any hdd,  usb,  but otherwise headset with ps3,  as far as I can tell this is stark contrast to ms's tact of charging for proprietary add ons for xbox.... Wifi,  hdd,  battery packs anyone?
    The Cell for a kick off. It delayed the release of the PS3 for a year while they went about moving from the planned graphics operations on it to a bog standard graphics chip which put them at a disadvantage for the entire generation. Pushing bluray didn't do them any favours for the first 5 years either. I'm not saying MS didn't have their fair share, but Sony's choices were practically suicidal.

• Armoured_Bear 28 Jan 2013 17:28:35 11,332 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Orbis unveiled

LIVERPOOL SOC

Custom implementation of AMD Fusion APU Arquitecture (Accelerated Processing Unit)
    Provides good performance with low power consumtion
    Integrated CPU and GPU
    Considerably bigger and more powerful than AMD’s other APUs

CPU:

Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6 Ghz, arranged as two “clusters”
    Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
    256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
    SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
    One hardware thread per core
    Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
    Out of order execution
    Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
    Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
    102.4 GFlops for system

GPU:

GPU is based on AMD’s “R10XX” (Southern Islands) architecture
    DirectX 11.1+ feature set
    Liverpool is an enhanced version of the architecture
    18 Compute Units (CUs)
    Hardware balanced at 14 CUs
    Shared 512 KB of read/write L2 cache
    800 Mhz
    1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
    Dual shader engines
    18 texture units
    8 Render backends

Memory:

4 GB unified system memory, 176 GB/s
    3.5 available to games (estimate)

Storage:

- High speed Blu-ray drive

single layer (25 GB) or dual layer (50 GB) discs
    Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
    Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
    Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x

- Internal mass storage

One SKU at launch: 500 GB HDD
    There may also be a Flash drive SKU in the future

Networking:

1 Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WIFI, and Bluetooth

Peripherals:

Evolved Dualshock controller
    Dual Camera
    Move controller

Extra:

Audio Processor (ACP)
    Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
    Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
    Zlib Decompression Hardware

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CharlieStCloud 28 Jan 2013 17:32:59 5,280 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like the PlayStation 4 will be significantly more POWERFUL than the Xbox 720 ...

... no CELL this time either!

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 17:39:58 28-01-2013
  • Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 17:42:26 18,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done ecosse, for not starting a new thread. ;)

Southern Islands eh. All sounds very interesting.

Anyone - what does a 6x BD player sound like? My PS3 slim is nicely quiet, presumably 'cos it's just 2x?.
  • Psychotext 28 Jan 2013 17:44:18 54,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PCAV drive and only 50gb? That doesn't seem right.
  • richardiox 28 Jan 2013 18:07:47 5,637 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No Cell BE? I call bullshit!!

Unless Vizzini was right and Sony have a secret second SKU (secret sauce) that's significantly more powerful and they've just gone public on this one to throw MS off the scent.
  • SpaceDave3000 28 Jan 2013 18:50:30 78,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks like Sony took my advice and made something cheap and unimpressive with x86 architecture.

• Jabjabs 28 Jan 2013 18:55:59 14 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bremenacht the Wii U has a 5x equivalent so not much louder than that I'm guessing.
  • Bremenacht 28 Jan 2013 18:59:00 18,693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok. That begs the question: how loud is a Wii U compared to a PS3?
  • Jabjabs 28 Jan 2013 19:07:21 14 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is louder but not significantly its really a non issue, an original Wii is also a good indication. 6x is a very nice compromise between speed and volume.
  • Page

of 817 First / Last