Phantasy Star Online 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 9 Mar 2012 11:46:27 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Play on same servers as PC

Good announcement, not played one since the DC days (apart from one on the DS I put a few hours into)

I'll give it a bash!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• chrisno21 9 Mar 2012 11:55:14 1,352 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only ever played Universe on 360 which was a bit crap. This looks pretty good though [no vita footage yet]

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• zombielvis 9 Mar 2012 13:50:19 131 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks great, I was obsessed with the original on the DC. Shame it's such a long way off release though.

Very tempted by Phantasy Star Portable 2 for PSP, anyone know if it's Vita compatible?
  • santashi 9 Mar 2012 19:12:59 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This makes me so happy! I loved it on the Dreamcast and think it would be perfect for the Vita.

@zombielvis Not sure if it's compatible but the PSP er PSP games are pretty good fun.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• ecureuil 9 Mar 2012 19:31:35 76,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is great news. They also say the game is only 10% complete..

I wouldn't be surprised if they removed cross platform play. Valve has removed it from Counter Strike Global Offensive because it's too difficult to keep pushing updates for the console version.
  • hypoBla5t 9 Mar 2012 20:35:06 1,264 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Import then if it isn't coming out in EU/US? Is that possible?
  • Mr_Brown 9 Mar 2012 20:43:42 931 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really looking forward to this. I played the portable games and the online worked well, but didn't feel like a proper sequel to the original. I really do miss that game and I think it's perfectly suited to the Vita. Especially the great online connectivity, built in mic and touch screen key board.

Just hope they bring back the custom emote faces from the Xbox version.

Vita: GameOverYeah

• santashi 10 Mar 2012 08:32:31 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmm, I didn't realise that it is online play only. That's got to be quite unusual for a portable title.

Edited by santashi at 08:32:50 10-03-2012

• INSOMANiAC 10 Mar 2012 13:57:24 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair, its called Phantasy star online, and assuming its in the same same mould as the DC game its pretty much an MORPG, little point in playing the DC version alone when there was thousands of other people playing it online, IMO

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• ecureuil 10 Mar 2012 14:02:10 76,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's better offline because then you don't get NOL'ed or spend your entire game unable to kill anything because everyone else is using spread needle and heaven punisher.
  • INSOMANiAC 10 Mar 2012 14:03:21 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I played the DS one offline and found it a pretty souless experience, mind you when I played the DC version it was full of PC hackers with unlimited shit and as you say, I couldnt kill nowt

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• santashi 10 Mar 2012 16:06:07 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I know that the title is 'online' but since I could play the DC one offline (and still found it fun!) I'm surprised that the option isn't there for this one, especially since the chances are that I might want to play it on the train or somewhere without an Internet connection.

• ecureuil 10 Mar 2012 16:14:54 76,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PSO was basically ruined due to it being offline. It meant people could edit their saves offline, then use them online and grief/cheat. Can't edit the saves if they're not hosted locally. Borderlands suffered from the exact same problem, only nowhere near as bad.

I guess Sega have taken this stance because PSO was totally destroyed by cheaters. I suppose they could have an offline mode that's separate, but when the focus is so much with online play, they probably see it as a waste of resources. Can't say I blame them.
  • DFawkes 10 Mar 2012 16:27:18 22,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    I know that the title is 'online' but since I could play the DC one offline (and still found it fun!) I'm surprised that the option isn't there for this one, especially since the chances are that I might want to play it on the train or somewhere without an Internet connection.
    Indeed, it is a bit of a surprise. My favourite thing about PSO, and indeed one of its greatest strengths, was being able to level up offline. I only had access to online at the weekend so being able to level up offline was fantastic! I'd even go as far to say it was the key feature that makes it one of my favourite games ever to this day.

It being co-op helped too - sure you could cheat but it never meant you had an unfair advantage as such. I rarely saw such people too, though one guy did share some sweet loot with me that may not have been entirely legitimate ;)

It's not the worst thing to leave out of course, it just means I'll probably stick with PS Zero as you can still do that. Level up on the bus, get home and take the fight online :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• santashi 13 Mar 2012 09:12:06 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    From Siliconera: 'Phantasy Star Online 2 will be playable both via Wi-Fi and 3G on the Vita. However, there are special plans for 3G players in order to compensate for lower data transfer speeds, although Sakai didnít mention just what these were.'

Interesting!

The other information is that it should be possible to download new stages and enemies on the Vita version and that they are really, really hoping/striving to make the Vita and PC versions fully cross-playable.

Also for those people who were mentioning fears about cheating, he confirmed that player data will be stored on their servers.

• Cheapshot 13 Mar 2012 10:09:09 162 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's better offline because then you don't get NOL'ed or spend your entire game unable to kill anything because everyone else is using spread needle and heaven punisher.
    Sorry about that! \o/

I am so very looking forward to this game. The music sounds right; the art direction looks right and it looks like a blast to play - I think Sega get it this time!
  • Blakester 13 Mar 2012 14:32:12 3,347 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Another great game that looks like it will play perfectly to the Vita's strengths.

PSO was the first game I played online back in the Dreamcast days. It had such an amazing dream-like quality and the players at the time were such a friendly bunch. I have nothing but great memories.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• fb77 18 Mar 2012 14:14:02 102 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    I have nothing but great memories.
    Ditto! PSO is my favourite game of all time, having played on DC, Gamecube, Xbox and PC. I was hugely disappointed with PSU, with only the nostalgic levels and weapons bringing moments of joy.

I (hopefully) was one of said friendly bunch, and I'm still in touch with many I 'met' in the DC days.

I'm also hoping for an HD rerelease, as Sega are doing with much of their back catalogue.

It's become as much about the happy memories it invokes as the game itself! If PSO2 can recreate this, I will be in gaming heaven.
  • oldschoolsoviet 26 Mar 2012 09:53:34 5,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    F2P (supposedly).

Screens and stuff.

It's no MH, but it might suffice.......
  • santashi 26 Mar 2012 10:21:18 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yay, I'm glad there won't be a subscription fee. I'm looking forward to this game so much. :)

• JoeGBallad 26 Mar 2012 16:46:37 383 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Man, I loved PSO back on the DC and then the GC. It's still to this day my favourite ever online game. I really hope for 2 things:

1. That PSO2 actually comes out here!

2. The structure of the game is similar to PSO. One of the reasons I loved it so much is because it had a lot of SEGA's arcade sensibilities to it; you were essentially doing the same thing over and over again, but the way you did, the people you did it with and your skill level at it was different every time. Basically, the thing that makes PSO boring in the eyes of people who play billy-big-baws WOW etc. is the thing that I love :)

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• DFawkes 26 Mar 2012 17:24:02 22,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoeGBallad wrote:
    2. The structure of the game is similar to PSO. One of the reasons I loved it so much is because it had a lot of SEGA's arcade sensibilities to it; you were essentially doing the same thing over and over again, but the way you did, the people you did it with and your skill level at it was different every time. Basically, the thing that makes PSO boring in the eyes of people who play billy-big-baws WOW etc. is the thing that I love :)
    Could not agree more, sir :)

That's my biggest concern. If they get the spirit of it right, it'll be glorious! As I keep saying, Phantasy Star Zero on DS still plays like PSO so it seems they understand what made it great. I have faith!

• santashi 26 Mar 2012 17:33:31 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    As I keep saying, Phantasy Star Zero on DS still plays like PSO so it seems they understand what made it great. I have faith!
    Hmm, I may have to pick it up at some point then. PSO was such a great gaming experience for me.

• DFawkes 26 Mar 2012 17:36:08 22,056 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should be able to get it cheap now. I got it for a fiver ages ago, and it has a similar structure. It might have a story too, but I ignore that and just venture out to kill things and earn cash :) Online enabled too, though most are walking tanks but still enjoyable.

• santashi 26 Mar 2012 17:57:17 4,928 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Should be able to get it cheap now. I got it for a fiver ages ago, and it has a similar structure. It might have a story too, but I ignore that and just venture out to kill things and earn cash :) Online enabled too, though most are walking tanks but still enjoyable.
    Cheapest seems to be around £18 on ebay but I'l keep my eye out for it. That sounds pretty good fun.

• Fydria 27 Mar 2012 20:40:43 557 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I played Original PSO on Dreamcast (50Hz) so I welcome this news. A decent game with an amazing community.
  • Midgar777 28 Mar 2012 00:46:25 472 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fydria

Same here but I'm pretty sure I only played it offline the whole bit I still loved it so much xD did it not have levelling and questing on the DC version then? I honestly can't remember :3 I just remember enjoying playing it :D
  • ecureuil 28 Mar 2012 00:54:39 76,011 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes it did, of course. The online was the same as the offline, only with more people. The story and everything was exactly the same.

The story was unintrusive too, no silly cutscenes and voice overs, just text you could easily skip if you wanted to.
  • Midgar777 28 Mar 2012 01:01:12 472 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for the clarification, my memory sucks hah. Really looking forward to this now I remember what it was like! Are we going to have to wait til E3 to hear more about release dates or?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous