So many of us have had our PS Vita's for over a week now and know how awesome both it and the games are but what things annoy you about it which you'd like to see improved/fixed?|
1. The inability to navigate the interface using anything other than touchscreen controls. This is only a minor thing but for a handheld that had a console-style controller built into it it seems an odd oversight. Having a choice of inputs is surely a good thing, no?
2. The intrusive Network sign in screen that would be better reduced to a Trophy-sized window or, better still, an unobtrusive icon in the top-left corner.
3. The lack of a Backup feature for save games and settings only as currently the PS Vita can only backup these along with the games themselves. This is fine if you own the game on a card but not so great if you've downloaded it.
Deleting the game icon also deletes all the saves and settings too, another silly oversight IMO that can be fixed by asking the user if they also want to delete the save games and settings like what happens on the PC when you uninstall a game.
4. The PS Vita game card slot is fiddly to open and insert/remove cards if you have large fingers and short nails. I ended up using a Bic biro top!
5. Some of the games are stupidly priced, e.g. Dungeon Hunter: Alliance sells for £29.99 RRP on the PS Vita but is just £9.99 on the PS3 for a superior game (it has a better framerate for starters). And charging £40 for PS Vita games should stop right now if Sony want the machine to sell; £30 RRP should be the maximum price of new games and existing/old PSN games available on the PS3 should be the same price on the PS Vita. Better still, if you own the PS3 version of any PSN game then the PS Vita version should be free, e.g. like Hustle, Top Darts and MotorStorm RC are.
6. The volume is too low: I find the volume to be a little low even on maximum when using the speakers although MP3s played through the Music icon sound fine. I use 18 out of 30 for my Sony Walkman MP3 player volume setting yet the PS Vita's is only that loud on maximum settings. The problem with gaming at maximum volume is that if a game is quiet then there's no way to crank it up. I'd prefer to play comfortably with the volume at two-thirds so I have a little extra volume should I need it. I'd like to see this fixed in a firmware update.
7. There currently seems to be a glitch with some demos that overwrite the game icon if you happen to download them after installing the full game on a card. This happened to me with Little Deviants, Rayman Origins and Lumines ES which I downloaded to demo at work without the hassle of having to switch cards. When you insert the game card, the PS Vita asks if you want to use it and delete the demo, which appears to work fine without deleting the saves but leads to some errors when accessing the Information. This led to Lumines ES freezing my system when inserting the card even when I deleted the game icon. I had to use the Rebuild Database option to fix it.
The WipEout 2048, FIFA Football and Uncharted: GA demos all install as separate icons and cause no conflicts.
8. The Rebuild Database setting warns that the process might take several hours and says not to turn off the PS Vita or press any of the buttons until it has completed. Yet the screensaver kicks in by default after a minute or a maximum of five meaning that you can't see how far the database rebuilding has processed! Fortunately, my PS Vita turned itself off after it had completed but I lost all my wallpaper settings and icon configuations along with three game icons. Fortunately, inserting the games restored the icons and left my save games intact.
9. The Photo mode doesn't allow for storing imported pictures into folders, which makes navigating through them for, say, use as Wallpaper unnecessarily tedious.
10. The camera resolution for taking photos is pathetically poor, not to mention oddly grainy for some reason, at 640x480 for a 2012 device IMO. I can understand the quality for games use but I'd have expected the PS Vita to at least take 960x544 shots given that's its display resolution. Disappointing.
11. The screen with the date and time on should be made optional so people can set the Vita to load straight to a selected page.
So what are your niggles and grievances with the Vita?
Edited by Darren at 11:33:33 29-02-2012
PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), 128 GB iPad Air 2, 128 GB iPad mini with Retina Display.