What things annoy you about the PS Vita and what would you like to see improved?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Darren 29 Feb 2012 11:31:15 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So many of us have had our PS Vita's for over a week now and know how awesome both it and the games are but what things annoy you about it which you'd like to see improved/fixed?

Mine are:

1. The inability to navigate the interface using anything other than touchscreen controls. This is only a minor thing but for a handheld that had a console-style controller built into it it seems an odd oversight. Having a choice of inputs is surely a good thing, no?

2. The intrusive Network sign in screen that would be better reduced to a Trophy-sized window or, better still, an unobtrusive icon in the top-left corner.

3. The lack of a Backup feature for save games and settings only as currently the PS Vita can only backup these along with the games themselves. This is fine if you own the game on a card but not so great if you've downloaded it.

Deleting the game icon also deletes all the saves and settings too, another silly oversight IMO that can be fixed by asking the user if they also want to delete the save games and settings like what happens on the PC when you uninstall a game.

4. The PS Vita game card slot is fiddly to open and insert/remove cards if you have large fingers and short nails. I ended up using a Bic biro top!

5. Some of the games are stupidly priced, e.g. Dungeon Hunter: Alliance sells for 29.99 RRP on the PS Vita but is just 9.99 on the PS3 for a superior game (it has a better framerate for starters). And charging 40 for PS Vita games should stop right now if Sony want the machine to sell; 30 RRP should be the maximum price of new games and existing/old PSN games available on the PS3 should be the same price on the PS Vita. Better still, if you own the PS3 version of any PSN game then the PS Vita version should be free, e.g. like Hustle, Top Darts and MotorStorm RC are.

6. The volume is too low: I find the volume to be a little low even on maximum when using the speakers although MP3s played through the Music icon sound fine. I use 18 out of 30 for my Sony Walkman MP3 player volume setting yet the PS Vita's is only that loud on maximum settings. The problem with gaming at maximum volume is that if a game is quiet then there's no way to crank it up. I'd prefer to play comfortably with the volume at two-thirds so I have a little extra volume should I need it. I'd like to see this fixed in a firmware update.

7. There currently seems to be a glitch with some demos that overwrite the game icon if you happen to download them after installing the full game on a card. This happened to me with Little Deviants, Rayman Origins and Lumines ES which I downloaded to demo at work without the hassle of having to switch cards. When you insert the game card, the PS Vita asks if you want to use it and delete the demo, which appears to work fine without deleting the saves but leads to some errors when accessing the Information. This led to Lumines ES freezing my system when inserting the card even when I deleted the game icon. I had to use the Rebuild Database option to fix it.

The WipEout 2048, FIFA Football and Uncharted: GA demos all install as separate icons and cause no conflicts.

8. The Rebuild Database setting warns that the process might take several hours and says not to turn off the PS Vita or press any of the buttons until it has completed. Yet the screensaver kicks in by default after a minute or a maximum of five meaning that you can't see how far the database rebuilding has processed! Fortunately, my PS Vita turned itself off after it had completed but I lost all my wallpaper settings and icon configuations along with three game icons. Fortunately, inserting the games restored the icons and left my save games intact.

9. The Photo mode doesn't allow for storing imported pictures into folders, which makes navigating through them for, say, use as Wallpaper unnecessarily tedious.

10. The camera resolution for taking photos is pathetically poor, not to mention oddly grainy for some reason, at 640x480 for a 2012 device IMO. I can understand the quality for games use but I'd have expected the PS Vita to at least take 960x544 shots given that's its display resolution. Disappointing.

11. The screen with the date and time on should be made optional so people can set the Vita to load straight to a selected page.

So what are your niggles and grievances with the Vita?

Edited by Darren at 11:33:33 29-02-2012

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Progguitarist 29 Feb 2012 11:36:51 10,420 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's not enough anti aliasing post rendered 60fps with high resolution quantum voxelization.
  • Darren 29 Feb 2012 11:42:40 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    There's not enough anti aliasing post rendered 60fps with high resolution quantum voxelization.
    If you can see jaggies on a small 5" screen then you're using the Vita waaaaaaaay too close IMO. :p

Another one from me, is the stupidly expensive proprietary memory cards which actually make downloading games over buying them on a card a much less attractive proposition.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• mrpon 29 Feb 2012 11:43:38 28,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm surprised you haven't mentioned some onboard memory.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• BanjoK64 29 Feb 2012 11:47:02 13 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Built in memory should be in standard. I also agree with the point about touch screen functionality. Console is just too big and it would be more convinient to have everything under control using standard navigation.
  • andijames 29 Feb 2012 11:47:06 2,714 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The ability to group games and / or create folders to place all game icons into. The screen is going to get pretty messy once you have a multitude of games installed albeit minis, PSP games and native Vita games.

vivir el momento

• DiamondIce 29 Feb 2012 11:47:26 1,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not going to happen but multiple profiles would be nice.

I use the system along with my boyfriend and I have become an expert at swapping profiles. I have had to memorise a random set of digits, letters and symbols for our router security (I refuse to lower my password security just for logging into the Vita).

All the data has to be re-entered and we are unable to customise the menu and settings as this is reset everytime a profile is swapped.

The other problem with profile swapping is the minute PSN is down the system will be stuck with whoever is logged in at the time.

It is like undertaking an F1 pitstop. I am shaving milliseconds off profile swapping as much as race times in Motorstorm RC.

Edit:

I agree with pretty much everything Darren has listed so that saves me the typing!

Edited by DiamondIce at 11:49:28 29-02-2012

FLOPS! RAM!

• nickthegun 29 Feb 2012 11:48:15 59,492 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think item six can be mitigated slightly by the fact that you are deaf.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 29 Feb 2012 11:50:53 43,818 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm annoyed by all the duplicate Vita threads and would like to see the Vita section hidden.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Progguitarist 29 Feb 2012 11:52:08 10,420 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, fucking awful of these guys to be posting threads on your forum isn't it? The bastards.
  • Lexx87 29 Feb 2012 11:53:32 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darren annoys me by having stupid Vita gloves and he should remove them immediatley.

Speak the truth hussy!

• DiamondIce 29 Feb 2012 11:55:28 1,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Yeah, fucking awful of these guys to be posting threads on your forum isn't it? The bastards.
    When I read comments from people going on about starting up threads, or seeing that threads like this exist I think of the scene in Fargo with the car park attendant asking for the four dollars. I don't know why.

Edited by DiamondIce at 11:56:08 29-02-2012

FLOPS! RAM!

• INSOMANiAC 29 Feb 2012 11:56:33 3,829 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can I have analogue sticks that move more than half a centimetre please? Otherwise FPS games are going to be twitchy inaccurate cack

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Darren 29 Feb 2012 12:01:18 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think item six can be mitigated slightly by the fact that you are deaf.
    I am slightly deaf I admit but if I can hear my Sony Walkman at 18/30 and it sounds nice and loud (above 20/30 and it starts to be uncomfortable) then I think it highlights how much quieter the Vita is that it sounds a touch quieter when on maximum settings when using the same earphones. I can barely hear some games when using the speakers and then it sounds very tinny in quality; not surprising given their size I guess.

I suspect the reason for the limited volume is possibly to reduce power consumption (does louder sound drain the battery more?).

• Popzeus 29 Feb 2012 12:02:06 8,300 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Memory card sizes and prices are the main one for me. Especially for a console that encourages you to download all your games.

You'd need a 64GB card to make that workable in the long term without constantly deleting stuff to make room for new things, and god knows how much one of those would cost.

Battery life's not great either if you're playing AAA titles, though not quite in 3DS territory of shitness.

I can see how the multiple profiles thing would be a ball-ache too, though it doesn't affect me personally.

Also if I could top up my account using a credit card without triggering a panicked call from my bank's fraud department I'd be a lot happier to download stuff, though I accept this is probably a necessary reaction to last year's hacking debacle.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Darren 29 Feb 2012 12:03:49 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Darren annoys me by having stupid Vita gloves and he should remove them immediatley.
    You know it's funny that, yes, I have been using them since I got my Vita but they actually don't prevent fingerprints and smears appearing on the screen anyway. I must admit that this surprised me. Maybe I need to use forensic gloves or something? Anyone know where I can buy some? ;)

Actually, forget the Winky, thinking about it that's a good question...

Edited by Darren at 12:04:20 29-02-2012

• el_pollo_diablo 29 Feb 2012 12:04:47 2,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Can I have analogue sticks that move more than half a centimetre please? Otherwise FPS games are going to be twitchy inaccurate cack
    Unit 13 has great aiming. Way better than Uncharted for me. Maybe you're a bit heavy of hoof?
  • kalel 29 Feb 2012 12:08:56 87,001 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Darren, marigolds actually work really well. Brand new ones obviously.

Edited by kalel at 12:09:10 29-02-2012
  • Darren 29 Feb 2012 12:10:24 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Battery life's not great either if you're playing AAA titles, though not quite in 3DS territory of shitness.
    That's true. I use my Vita for an hour at work away from the mains and the battery can go down by 33%. At home I'm tending to use the mains, which also handily recharges the handheld while I'm playing.

Another issue I have is that the Vita doesn't recharge itself when you connect it to a PS3 or PC unless it is turned off. That means that transferred content, which can take over 30 minutes, can't be done if the battery is low. I had a warning about this when I tried to transfer content over from my PC on the day I got it, which meant I had to plug into the mains to recharge for a couple of hours before I could transfer stuff.

Also, why doesn't the PS Vita use its Bluetooth feature to connect to the PS3 or PC and transfer it's content? That way you could plug it into the mains and still be able to transfer/copy/backup stuff?

• RyanDS 29 Feb 2012 12:12:13 9,257 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For me the only issues are relating to cables.

The power cable just doesn't sit snugly and is awkward. I would rather it was on top so I could sit my Vita upright to watch movies etc on it. I find it annoying when lying in bed with the vita that the cable really gets in the way.
  • Deleted user 29 February 2012 12:13:07
    Only 2 things truly bug me about it. The incessant connecting screens ( at least on wifi, just leave me connected to PSN), and the notifications... the number of times I've missed an apex on 2048 ( at A+ you need to spot your apexes very early ) because it was covered up by " x is online". All it needs is to have a degree of transparency.

Other than that I haven't really been bugged by anything else, I guess I'm just glad I seem to be living in the THE WORLD OF TOMORROW, TODAY!
  • Darren 29 Feb 2012 12:13:39 8,783 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Loading times.
    Yeah, I was wondering about those. I know data is compressed hence there will be some delay getting data into the Vita's memory but some games seem to take longer to load than they should, e.g. WipEout 2048 and BlazBlue. I wonder if they're there to add to the true console-feel? After all every Xbox 360 and PS3 game has loading times and if the Vita loaded games instantly then it wouldn't quite be that perfect portable handheld. Hell, it would be better!!! :)

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 29 Feb 2012 12:15:46 10,854 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The shonky wi-fi issues. Attempting to show Vita off to a friend only to have it freeze and crash, even when put on Flight Mode, is a bit embarrassing. One lost sale there! Surely this can be fixed with a firmware update?

Also, I agree that the cart cover is tough to access. I can also see this snapping off after a few months/years of use.

Proprietory memory cards. I mean, I know Sony had to do something to price Vita relatively cheaply but come on! This is madness.
  • Deleted user 29 February 2012 12:15:53
    It needs to be as impressive as Sony made it out to be.
  • customfirmware 29 Feb 2012 12:16:15 783 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The only problem I have and I'm guessing a majority of people will have are the prices of the games. Looking at the prices on the store I really can't justify buying uncharted for £44.99, Sony need to realise that the compulsory buying prices( for me anyway) is £19.99, if most of the prices were along these lines could have seen myself spending £100 already on games.
  • Popzeus 29 Feb 2012 12:16:20 8,300 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's another one. The charger is an ugly, cumbersome piece of shit that feels 10 years out of date, hardly the image they're going for with the Vita.

Given that it charges perfectly with just the USB cable plugged into an iPhone or Kindle USB wallplug thingy, why on earth not just ship with one of those but in black? Fortunately I had a black one already knocking about that came with an old mobile phone, but most people won't.

First impressions, and all that.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• DiamondIce 29 Feb 2012 12:16:37 1,185 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The PC data transfer non-charging situation is annoying. I was running a backup the other day and the battery was getting very close to dying.

It takes a long time to copy so if ever you want to do this, make sure the Vita is fully charged.

FLOPS! RAM!

• Progguitarist 29 Feb 2012 12:17:15 10,420 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I need to learn to have realistic expectations.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous