FTL - Space Roguelike Page 12

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 7 Jul 2013 06:41:46 7,251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So I've been thinking of giving this a go, although generally I prefer roguelikes of the turn based variety.

Can you issue orders while paused?
  • DanB24 7 Jul 2013 07:26:16 1,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    So I've been thinking of giving this a go, although generally I prefer roguelikes of the turn based variety.

Can you issue orders while paused?
    Yes. That's pretty much how it's played. :-)
  • Mola_Ram 7 Jul 2013 08:01:39 7,251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cool. Me and real time strategy just do not get along in general, but frequent pausing is ok.
  • TarickStonefire 7 Jul 2013 14:11:49 3,048 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Cool. Me and real time strategy just do not get along in general, but frequent pausing is ok.
    It's not just 'okay', it's how you play. It'd be almost impossible to play without the feature! :D

(although for my first game I didn't realise this, hehe)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:12:09 07-07-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mola_Ram 7 Jul 2013 14:27:26 7,251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Heh, I just got a little worried when the wiki entry for it described it as "real time strategy".
  • Tomo 7 Jul 2013 18:16:30 13,895 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh fucking hell.

I got to the final sector for the first time, with an amazing ship, yet I misunderstood what you had to do. So, I waited near the base for the mothership to intercept me and instead of doing that it just fucking overruns the base. Game over.

FFS. That took me hours ;_:
  • FightingMongoose 8 Jul 2013 10:32:24 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I reached the final sector for the first time yesterday too. However I did realise I had to intercept as soon as possible, but it still didn't help. That ship is an absolute beast, completely tore me apart.
  • DFawkes 8 Jul 2013 10:41:56 22,816 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought that I'd enjoy the game more if it went on longer and didn't have a fixed goal, so I gave the Infinite Space mod (does as you'd expect) and found I didn't really enjoy it. Without that difficulty curve and that constant push forward, it just doesn't feel right. It's a surprisingly different experience so it's still worth a look, but it was a smart decision to have the game the way it is because the pressure is a good thing :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• urban 13 Jul 2013 18:49:11 10,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love this game and I hate this game.

It helps you out sometimes by reaching the exit of a sector and there will be an automated repair station when you are low on health. Cool, thanks.

Then you'll get two jumps into the next sector and jump into a guy who has 4 main weapons, an attack drone and a huge crew judging by how fast he's firing. I simply do not stand a chance and get wiped within 30 seconds.

I've never completed it, even on easy and it's out of pure fucking randomness and bad luck it appears.
  • Deleted user 13 July 2013 18:52:07
    That's the nature of roguelikes. You will die many many more times than you will win. I'm like it with Dungeons of Dredmore - think I've got about thirty hours invested in it, and I haven't even had a run where I've seen the end boss yet, let alone defeated him. They're all about the stories generated by the journey, rather than the accomplishment of finishing it.
  • Razz 13 Jul 2013 18:55:23 61,091 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ^This

It's about losing yourself in the role. I still narrate a captains log after every jump :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• PenguinJim 13 Jul 2013 18:59:23 5,834 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Edit: @ urban.
    Nope, it's not all luck. I learn from my many failures, I try different tactics, and I can generally reach the last sector about half the time. You do need a certain amount of offensive drops, and at least two more crew (ideally more!), but other than that you can adjust your tactics and your purchases to suit your situation.

The first time I completed it was with the Engi drone ship, if that's any help - but as you say, it's partly luck, and I might have just had the right drones. ;)

One tip, as I imagine they might go overlooked, but if I haven't upgraded my doors by the end of the first sector, they're a top priority at the start of the second, regardless of which ship I'm using.

And missiles fly straight through shields. Although you'll have to prioritise - do you disable their shields first, to get your lasers through to their weapons, or do they have missiles pointing at you that you need to disable ASAP? Learn what their weapons look like! I only recently started using defense drones against missiles, and they're very handy.

I also leave my medbay powered down unless I'm using it - that power goes into the engines, increasing our evasion %.

I haven't played on Easy yet. :p

Edited by PenguinJim at 19:03:31 13-07-2013
  • DanB24 13 Jul 2013 19:59:10 1,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good job with the Engi ship, the 1st game I had with that I was dead on my 3rd jump and that was on easy lol.
  • vijay_UK 13 Jul 2013 20:03:45 2,117 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    That's the nature of roguelikes. You will die many many more times than you will win. I'm like it with Dungeons of Dredmore - think I've got about thirty hours invested in it, and I haven't even had a run where I've seen the end boss yet, let alone defeated him. They're all about the stories generated by the journey, rather than the accomplishment of finishing it.
    That's an excellent way of putting it (for FTL).
  • FightingMongoose 15 Jul 2013 11:03:47 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Managed to unlock layout B for the Engi ship over the weekend, very cool! Although difficult.
  • ZuluHero 15 Jul 2013 11:06:36 4,104 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've reached the end many times with the bog standard Kestrel. Never managed to destroy that ship though.
  • FightingMongoose 15 Jul 2013 11:08:12 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I've reached the end many times with the bog standard Kestrel. Never managed to destroy that ship though.
    Yeah, the flagship is stupidly hard. I got very close when utilising a crew teleporter and two mantis crew members. But got them stupidly killed in the process; leaving me with absolutely no tactics to get through the four layers of shields the flagship had.
  • Rhaegyr 15 Jul 2013 11:09:04 1,588 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The last ship is brutal - I've only beaten it twice and that was relying heavily on the teleporter and two killer Manti(?).

The Ion weapons are a godsend too - never used them at all the first 10 or so times but now I try to use them exclusively and stay away from missiles at all costs. Never really bothered with drones either.

Brilliant game

Edit - Only just completed it on Easy though. Normal would be torture.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 11:10:06 15-07-2013
  • philreeduk 15 Jul 2013 11:29:57 288 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So has anyone else played this with the cool mods that are floating out there? Installed the star trek universe mod last night, it is great fun!
  • FightingMongoose 15 Jul 2013 11:35:20 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How would I download that mod @philreeduk? I've always just seen this as a Star Trek game without the license anyway.

@Rhaegyr Yeah, teleporter works well because you can take each weapon out one by one; very useful.
  • philreeduk 15 Jul 2013 12:54:59 288 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FightingMongoose Try here http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2464
  • FightingMongoose 15 Jul 2013 15:16:23 496 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    philreeduk wrote:
    @FightingMongoose Try here http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2464
    Thanks!
  • Ginger 15 Jul 2013 20:03:35 6,830 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For some reason, steam killed my cloud save so I have to do this all again.

That shouldn't be good news but it is :-)

London open taekwondo champion

• INSOMANiAC 15 Jul 2013 21:47:01 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I feel I should share again the story of when I bought the game off GOG or somewhere, when realising it had no steam key, I contacted the developers and they sent me one free of charge within the hour, I'll buy any old tat they produce from here on in!

Also, I'm going to get back into this game right now, even though I'm shit at it.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• urban 24 Jul 2013 08:39:11 10,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strangely I'm now reaching the end sector nearly every game now.

Upgrade your ship and gather that scrap!
  • MikeP 24 Jul 2013 09:29:45 1,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like it, but I just get my arse kicked any which way. I've seen the flagship once.

One day I will have the perfect combination of luck and setup and make it through.

PSN ID: Mikenetic

• Salaman 24 Jul 2013 10:32:14 18,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got into sector three on my first go. Haven't gotten past sector 2 since. Although a few times I forgot to click "easy" so that's one explanation. :-)
  • Aretak 24 Jul 2013 10:43:02 10,351 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I find it quite easy to get the last sector with the Engi ship, but I just can't scratch the flagship. My last game I had a full crew, some decent weapons, 25 missiles along the teleporting launcher, full shields and a hull repair drone... and still didn't even get close.
  • PenguinJim 24 Jul 2013 11:10:01 5,834 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I use the hull repair drone between battles, not during. Better to have more properly offensive/defensive drones in place, IMO. I only recently warmed to defensive drones, for some reason, but they're brilliant for neutralising missile attacks.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last