2012 Cycling season general purpose thread

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Salaman 27 Feb 2012 10:34:33 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone watch the opening weekend of the classics?

Bloody good race on Saturday (Omloop Het Nieuwsblad) I'm a bit disappointed I missed it as it starts and finishes in my home town but I was away to Amsterdam for the weekend.

Cav gave a good demonstration on Sunday. The new team seems to already have gelled well there.

Not much to see from BMC so far but it's early days and I think they aim for later events. Although watching Hushovd drop out of the lead group was a little surprising.
  • jeff 27 Feb 2012 10:46:09 371 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    yep watched them both on the web,gotta say Cav looked incredible in sundays race,left them all for dead!

http://default.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141%7C000006f80%7C101d_kuurne12-cavendish-wins.jpg
  • Salaman 17 Mar 2012 15:08:23 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Watching Milan - San Remo at the moment. Surprised to see Cav having an off day, he's been profiling himself as a potential winner.
    Hoping Bonen does well today, he seems to have foundnhis form again after two off years.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2012 15:52:17
    Yeah watching san remo as well. Missed the split of the peloton. To be honest the route seems more suited to eddy boss rather than cav, the pace of the race has been extremely high.

Great win by wiggins last week as though.
  • Salaman 17 Mar 2012 21:35:34 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a weird race. It's really long, there's no real tough climbs that can shake things up, so the sprinters have a chance if they're on form. (I think Cavendish has won it a few years ago). Cav totally wasn't today though.

Awesome bit of poker by Gerran though. I felt sorry for Cancellara. Stop pedalling and you get caught right before the finish and end up somewhere in place 10-20 or keep working and you're almost guaranteed to be 2nd.

Shockingly bad footage from the RAI though, they managed to almost miss the finish. They cut back to the leaders at 50m to the line about 3 seconds before they crossed it.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2012 21:44:04
    I'm not familiar with this race, only got into cycling a few years back, know of all the big classics (roubaix, ardennes etc). I do miss cancellara all out attacks though, his been quiet for a while now in a way. I guess during the tours his job is for the schlecks rather than himself.

Wish as well gilbert stayed on his bike would have been a tense finish. But happy for gerrans. I kind of missed the ending i was shooting aroudn getting ready for work, knew he won, but sort of flew past me a little.

Edited by joelstinton at 21:44:42 17-03-2012
  • Salaman 20 Mar 2012 10:53:05 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Behind the scenes in Gerrans' team last Saturday.
  • Salaman 26 Mar 2012 09:32:23 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I assume there's nothing special happening in other countries but the "Ronde-fever" is starting now here in Belgium. With Boonen bagging two wins the past three days and Gilbert clearly not in form yet, everyone is now starting to look towards coming Sunday, hoping for some sort of Boonen - Cancellara showdown.

It's the first edition of a revised parcours as well. The race was fairly predictable in the past, with the deciding breakaway fairly early in the final.
    This will now change to 3 local laps, each including a few tough hills. So god knows how this will go. It will definitely be a tougher race and less predictable!
  • Salaman 31 Mar 2012 23:08:00 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaaah finally April 1st. Curious what tomorrow will bring. I expect the new Tour of Flanders course to provide a pretty good spectacle.
  • elstoof 4 Apr 2012 11:57:52 7,014 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great result for the team pursuit guys, beating Australia on their turf is sweet after they did for us in London 3 months ago. Should set the stage for an epic Olympic battle.
  • pistol 5 Apr 2012 20:47:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paris RoubaIx is one of my favourite races but I'm out of the county at the moment so will probably watch it recordered in a couple of weeks. It's a shame Cancellara busted his collarbone last week as I'm sure he would have posed a real threat. Maybe Ballan will do something?

Edited by pistol at 20:49:11 05-04-2012
  • Deleted user 23 June 2012 21:49:58
    So guys, The big one starts on friday! Going to be really interesting, with no contador, andy schleck. Kind of going to miss there one on one battles in the mountains.

Kind of free for all. Quite a few of the guys like basso etc rode the Giro as well.

Wiggins year?

Also great news is that Vinokourov is back! decided to reverse his retirement after that horrible crash last year.
  • Fixxxer 23 Jun 2012 22:19:45 1,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got to be Wiggins. Team Sky were so strong in the Dauphine and BMC seemed unable to provide Evans with any support whatsoever so it looks like he'll be able to do the job.

Can't wait for it. Brits in green and yellow would be awesome.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2012 22:24:37
    totally forgot about Cadel...... silly me. To be honest he had no support last year, he just rode his arse off on the back of other teams.

Not sure what frank schleck as up his sleeve, wasn;t great in giro but got some miles in his legs. Without competition from andy as well he might have a decent crack at it as well.

Edited by joelstinton at 22:31:27 23-06-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next