Fire Emblem: Awakening Page 18

• Page

of 31 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2013 11:14:24 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Keeps the skills, and attributes are adjusted to the new class.

Except Luck. Donnel will always have insane luck.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2013 11:18:43 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FabricatedLunatic wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Just make her a super Bronze Axe, she'll be fine.

You can change classes around if you have the seals. Often people will dip into certain classes for a few levels, just to get a specific skill.
    Cheers, will do.

I'm a bit confused about second seal class changes. I know they can't be used on pre-promoted characters before level 10, but what about post-promotion? Any level? Having played on normal I've not felt the need to delve into this at all, but will do during my subsequent hard playthrough.

I'm marrying the avatar to Tharja. Their interactions are too funny not to.
    You can use second seals with any level promoted class, but they can only switch down to unpromoted classes. So you'll have to level them up again. On the plus side, they will have pretty great attributes for unpromoted classes. It's not like they'll be weaklings.
  • Alastair 24 Jun 2013 11:18:51 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Avatar plus Maribelle made me laugh when she was talking about using slang.

Also, some of the conversations between Chrom and Hubba in the DLC are pretty funny too.

Not as nice as I used to be

• AaronTurner 24 Jun 2013 11:29:41 7,591 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is there a point to pairing up? How is it of more benefit than simply standing beside the other figure? And how does the game decide who to sign the xp to? I paired up up my guy with Chrome and Chrome is now level 4 and my guy is still level one.

Beautiful game though, so good to be back with fire emblem.
  • Alastair 24 Jun 2013 11:34:47 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Is there a point to pairing up? How is it of more benefit than simply standing beside the other figure? And how does the game decide who to sign the xp to? I paired up up my guy with Chrome and Chrome is now level 4 and my guy is still level one.

Beautiful game though, so good to be back with fire emblem.
    It prevents attacks on the secondary character in the pair, but it also prevents them from doing anything.
    I only tend to use it for protecting a weak character, or using the higher range or a flier or cavalry unit. For general battling I don't use it.

• AaronTurner 24 Jun 2013 11:37:19 7,591 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm, seems a bit useless to be honest! Will stick with what I know.
  • Ranger_Ryu 24 Jun 2013 11:38:01 1,023 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actualy the other person can launch an attack even when it's not in their combat range so for example you paired a mage with a sword fighter, and you attack from two squares away, in the battle there's a chance (which increases when your support goes up) that your partner will also attack.
  • Alastair 24 Jun 2013 11:38:58 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ranger_Ryu wrote:
    Actualy the other person can launch an attack even when it's not in their combat range so for example you paired a mage with a sword fighter, and you attack from two squares away, in the battle there's a chance (which increases when your support goes up) that your partner will also attack.
    I think that can also happen even if they aren't paired up... Could be wrong though.

• Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2013 11:43:34 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pairing up is extremely, extremely useful, particularly on characters with high support. They give each other stat boosts, and can attack together up to around 70% of the time. When defending, characters can completely block the damage coming into their partner. And it's great for building support. And it's great for moving slow characters around the map. And you can pair characters so they negate each others weaknesses. And it's much easier to defend when there's only one character the ai can attack.

It is a very big mistake to discount it. I miss character rescues as well, but pairing up is fantastic. On higher difficulties, it's basically mandatory.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 11:53:35 24-06-2013
  • AaronTurner 24 Jun 2013 11:52:47 7,591 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Pairing up is extremely, extremely useful, particularly on characters with high support. They give each other stat boosts, and can attack together up to around 70% of the time. When defending, characters can completely block the damage coming into their partner. And it's great for building support. And it's great for moving slow characters around the map.

It is a very big mistake to discount it. On higher difficulties, pairing up is basically mandatory.
    All of that happens if they are just on adjacent tiles though so I don't see the benefit?

The only real advantage I can think of is surrounding a boss with characters.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2013 11:57:01 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Pairing up is extremely, extremely useful, particularly on characters with high support. They give each other stat boosts, and can attack together up to around 70% of the time. When defending, characters can completely block the damage coming into their partner. And it's great for building support. And it's great for moving slow characters around the map.

It is a very big mistake to discount it. On higher difficulties, pairing up is basically mandatory.
    All of that happens if they are just on adjacent tiles though so I don't see the benefit?

The only real advantage I can think of is surrounding a boss with characters.
    The benefits from pairing are greater than those from just standing next to each other. More stat increases, more support building, more chance of attacking together. And the enemy only has one person to attack, with a chance of their partner blocking all of the damage.

It is also cool having monster tag teams. My Chrom / Sumia just wreck everything when they're together.

I was sceptical at first too, but am very much a convert to pairing now.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:01:19 24-06-2013
  • Ranger_Ryu 24 Jun 2013 11:59:54 1,023 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know they give stat bonuses when paired up (not the 10% hit ones etc) so that could be a benefit, plus it's easier to build relationships up with weaker characters.

In one of my games Chrom and the Avatar paired together are unstoppable. (Husband and Wife in that game)

Edited by Ranger_Ryu at 12:01:09 24-06-2013
  • Rhaegyr 24 Jun 2013 12:04:40 1,403 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone have any advice for the children?

I'm roughly about Chapter 14 and I've done a ton of sidequests to unlock most of the kids (nearly every one of my characters is married save the dancer). What I find is that taking any of these into battle in the story levels is a recipe for disaster as they get singled out and blown away.

Is it worth using a few reeking boxes or having some random battles using only children to level them up a bit? I've read a few places that they're usually the best units in the game - does that come when they're nearly maxed out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jun 2013 12:06:51 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Without DLC? Tricky. The random battle grinding is a good idea, if you have the time / can afford it.
  • telboy007 25 Jun 2013 11:20:23 426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Okay I spent more hours than I care to admit to powering up Donnel from a level 3 villager up to a level 20 warrior (via level 30 villager)... what a beast. Which is probably why he married Panne and made fluffy babies.

This game seems to pride itself on letting you come up with all these odd combinations...

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• Mola_Ram 25 Jun 2013 11:28:24 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You kept him in villager until 30? why? He would have had at least 10 levels of almost zero stat growth
  • telboy007 25 Jun 2013 11:38:52 426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, he leveled up at least 3 or 4 stats throughout with a full spread of +1s on hitting 30 - also it meant I could jump to Warrior instead of going through Fighter (or Merc, can't remember which one) first using just a second seal.

Edited by telboy007 at 11:39:50 25-06-2013

Edited by telboy007 at 11:40:12 25-06-2013

• Alastair 25 Jun 2013 13:27:50 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just had Sumia get a Crit with a Beast Killer against a mounted rider - 117 damage!!
    Teh A\/\/3s0/\/\ez!!!!!!1

• mal 25 Jun 2013 20:17:16 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, my Sumia's quite potent now. On the first level training DLC I got to the point where she could fly straight to the boss and kill it without taking damage before she got promoted.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• telboy007 26 Jun 2013 10:21:53 426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So what is the top ranking you can get for a character, I've got Donnel up to 270-275 ish which means I can't really use him now as he is way overpowered! :) It was a fun side project though.

• mal 26 Jun 2013 11:04:50 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Character ranking? What is this mumbo jumbo? Characters have stats and levels. I've seen team ranking stuff buried on one of the many wifi/dlc menus somewhere, but not character ranking.

• telboy007 26 Jun 2013 12:20:58 426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe ranking is the wrong word, each character has a number that isn't a stat or a level. Top right on the non full view of their character card if I remember correctly.

• Alastair 26 Jun 2013 15:02:07 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's the combined total of all the stats I think. I know what you're talking about telboy. :)

Here's a qusetion - do you use your stat boost objects to super boost your best characters, or to help your weakers ones catch up. Or do you generally not use them 'cos you can't decide, like me!

• mal 26 Jun 2013 16:00:32 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I kept 'em for a while, but generally ended up using them to help balance out weaker attributes. E.g. many of the magicians have shit def, but good res. So far I've left the battlers with shit res but good def though, as there's rarely enough enemy mages around to surround anyone, and most of the decent battlers have enough HP to take at least one magic hit. I generally have to keep them away from magic-weilding bosses though - I would have lost a few to that lewin sword if I hadn't kept resetting.

Being a bit of a FE vet I'd not been using the simplified screen. Yeah 250-odd is not at all bad for Donnel. I've only got him to 126 (though I've left him as a villager for now) and already he's outgrown my junior team. I'm just finally getting Lon'qu into decent stat levels so he can join the front lines on some of the simpler challenge maps.

• jellyBelly 26 Jun 2013 19:03:58 354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So im iin chapter 9 of this in normal difficulty with permadeath on and I'm finding it quite easy, in the sense that I haven't reset for death yet except maybe once or twice. Does the difficulty ramp up further in or should I restart in hard?

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• macmurphy 26 Jun 2013 19:25:42 999 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @jellyBelly It gets a lot harder around level 17. Had a few levels where I just couldn't win, had to go away and get my stats up and even then I had to pick my best team. Give it time.
  • Alastair 26 Jun 2013 19:59:00 15,411 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ch 11 was the first challenge for me.

• mal 26 Jun 2013 20:08:55 22,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, 11 was pretty tricky coming to it cold. Unpredictable spawns of some quite powerful enemies, and that bastard levin sword took me a few attempts and a bit of grinding to beat.

• jellyBelly 26 Jun 2013 20:10:22 354 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @macmurphy cool thanks, ill see it to the end on normal then

PSN:lumulata, NN Dollodon

• Mola_Ram 27 Jun 2013 00:35:26 6,938 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you're still finding it easy in a couple of chapters, try Hard. It's harder at first, but is fine once you get used to some of the changes, eg. Reinforcements
  • Page

of 31 First / Last