Fire Emblem: Awakening Page 13

• Page

of 32 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 3 May 2013 06:58:09 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Do you have any characters at S-rank support?
  • mikew1985 3 May 2013 08:27:58 13,035 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have Sully and Stahl at S rank. They are lethal, the only issue is Sully is a bit weak defensively but together they block/dodge so many attacks that they just end up taking everyone out.

My avatar is A and B rank with a good few and Vaike and Virion have numerous support partnerships with various others.

Funnily enough I presumed the marriage of Chrom and Sumia was mandatory in the progression of the story.
  • redcrayon 3 May 2013 09:01:10 4,573 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JTN

The translation is excellent as far as I can see, the humour comes across well, with a really nice mix of characters- its always refreshing that Fire Emblem casts usually have a broad mix of capable, reasonable soldiers alongside the ice-cold killers and more frivolous characters, it makes the Shepherds seem like a competent force rather than just a collection of oddballs. I'm just not that interested in the relationship side of it, I always find it a bit awkward in computer games that 5 conversations counts as a relationship, and 7 means you are married. Yyou need to be careful who you fight with in case the person you just like fighting beside in a fight suddenly becomes your wife. Weird approach to engagement in fire-emblem-land! Still, I like having all the hearts come up after each fight, good to know the team are having a good time.

My two cavaliers are now hitched and I just thought they enjoyed training and fighting together. Generally I play FE because I like strategy games and its a really good one, not because I find the individual units that interesting- if anything, I skip a lot of dialogue as the broad strokes they are painted in makes them work just fine for me- the stoic leader, the humble knight, the arrogant archer etc, that's all I need to know.

The main reason I skip dialogue is that they do tend to hammer home the same point over and over again- we know the foot knight never gets noticed, the archer is a flirt, the dragon-girl has the mental age of a child and the second healer you get is a tedious upper class twit, it's nice to have traits like that to make them stand out, but it's not character development to keep making the same point over and over again, and after yet another rehash of 'oh, she's older than she looks!' Or 'she thinks everyone else is a servant!' I tend to just skip them.

The main exception for me has been Frederick- he's awesome, his dry, world-weary attitude and careful sarcasm towards the excesses of his young charges never gets old, I always read his lines. Chrom is nicely balanced as the leader too, a good mix of character traits rather than just being a walking ball of enthusiasm.

Edited by redcrayon at 09:15:41 03-05-2013
  • BeheretiK 3 May 2013 09:11:34 884 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In my game my avatar is married to Sully. I also have Gregor and Nowi (obvious one that I guess) as well as Kellam and Miriel who are actually a great combination which I did not expect

As for Chrom, in my game Sumia was killed (damn reinforcements on same turn!) so he ended up being married to an unnamed woman who he had apparently met and married in the year following the Plegian war.

Edited by BeheretiK at 09:11:53 03-05-2013

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Garfy 3 May 2013 11:48:40 697 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's time for Virion to class up and become even archier but which path should he choose, melee it up as a Bow Knight or range as a Sniper?

I don't really know about the range thing, are longbows any good?
  • redcrayon 3 May 2013 11:51:22 4,573 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Longbow is 3-square range- it's great as you can stand two paces behind the front line and attack without fear of counter attacks from mages, archers etc. Tends to be a bit weaker in comparison, but worth having.

Also means, if you get his strength up, that he can chip away at bosses without reprisal as well, but he is unlikely to do more damage than they regenerate each turn.
  • Alastair 9 May 2013 13:50:19 16,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Has a 3DS Advance Wars game been announced? That, plus FE are the sort of thing that will make me cave in and buy a 3DS...
    Oh, just remembered that there's a 3DS Layton game. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday...
    I have caved in and ordered a 3DSXL and FE and OoT.
  • redcrayon 9 May 2013 22:00:23 4,573 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you like Fire Emblem, Ghost Recon is also worth checking out. You can get Ghost Recon for 6 or 7 pounds if you shop around.

Edited by redcrayon at 22:01:46 09-05-2013
  • brainbird 12 May 2013 15:31:56 2,232 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Quick question: Can you "max out" the character roster? I've made the mistake to leave the storyline and venture into the bonus stuff and I'm now kind of addicted to collecting all characters from the previous Fire Emblems. It's like a Pokémon/Fire Emblem crossover.
  • mal 12 May 2013 16:34:00 22,834 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dunno (not far enough into the game to recruit any of the older characters yet myself) but in previous games, trying to collect and keep alive all the characters you can is one common way of playing the game, so I'd be surprised if they'd added a limitation. Certainly, I'd consider the game broken if it let you add enough characters that it stopped you completing the main game somehow.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• brainbird 12 May 2013 17:02:01 2,232 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A good point well made.
    There might be a limit for "extra" characters but certainly not for the story characters.
  • f311 12 May 2013 17:21:34 300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ok I tried the demo of this game after hearing alot about it but I just wasn't feeling it, plus I only require one more game for a free one so I really want it but at the same time I don't, someone please sell me on the game, it looks as if there's not so much variety in the game judging from the demo, or am I thinking wrong?
  • MadCaddy13 12 May 2013 17:37:05 2,059 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll try... Best game on the 3DS. Did that help?

Honestly it is, IMO. Just a visually and mentally pleasing game
  • f311 12 May 2013 17:45:04 300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To be fair I can't honestly say the 3ds has gripped me like everyone else, mario kart 7 is fun but it kinda feels like a bare bones sort of thing, mario land 3d wasa good game didn't think it was great though, don't get me wrong I enjoyed playing it, but once I finished it I never got the urge to go back and play, and zelda is well...zelda I played it 10 years ago! :p so saying its the best 3ds game doesn't say much!
  • Rhaegyr 12 May 2013 19:07:03 2,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd sell your 3DS - you don't really seem to like Nintendo's output for it.

Definitely the best game on the 3DS.
  • f311 12 May 2013 19:24:55 300 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sell my 3ds because I'm not a Nintendo fanboy that laps up every single new game they release with one of their mascots on the cover?

Thouroughly enjoyed luigis mansion and resident evil revaluations, also would be criminal to sell it with pokemon x and y on the horizon!

Edited by f311 at 19:26:16 12-05-2013
  • mal 12 May 2013 19:27:06 22,834 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    OoT? I was prepared to get all excited about it when it was the only decent first-party game on the system, but really, I've played it all many moons ago, many times over, and the 3D and slightly frame-rate improvements don't mean that much to me it turns out.

MK7 is probably my least favourite hand-held MK game ever, though I hold the GBA and DS games in very high esteem so perhaps that's not saying so much. Still, it's not grabbed me in the same way (although it's still my second place most played game on 3DS after FE: Sacred Swords).

Mario Land is probably my favourite Mario game since Mario 64, but to be honest I never even 100%ed Mario 64. Still, it's a nice game to have on the system and I do keep booting it up to go back to some of the older levels and complete them.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• JinTypeNoir 13 May 2013 01:02:43 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I'd sell your 3DS - you don't really seem to like Nintendo's output for it.

Definitely the best game on the 3DS.
    This is kind of strange. Sure, usually Nintendo's stuff is among the best their platforms have to offer, but the 3DS has got so much third party support, even if someone were to have some irrational toward Nintendo, there's a lot left over.
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2013 04:49:48 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some of the marriage transitions are a little awkward.
    "hey, I like you!"

"I like you too!"

"so, want to get married?"

"sure, why not?"

Just a bit O_o for me.

Anyway, the thief just married the dragon girl. It feels a little wrong, but oh well.
  • WinterSnowblind 13 May 2013 09:14:05 1,250 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This was my first experience with Fire Emblem and I have to say, I come away more than a little disappointed. I actually did enjoy the demo, but the full game really doesn't have any more variety to it than what you see there. The tactics basically boil down to having all your units group up and form walls, there's little you can do beyond that.

You'll completely breeze past everything on normal mode with absolutely no effort, but then get destroyed on hard mode, sometimes after a single turn. In typical bad AI fashion, all it seems to do is give you less resistance and make all the enemies stronger and it all seems horrible balanced, especially if you don't care to get into the DLC or grinding units for the best possible stat outputs on the children.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but after playing Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM, this felt very lacking. Instead, there seems to be a major focus on the relationship aspects, making the whole game feel more like a dating sim than a tactical RPG. And of course, all the characters consist of the typical anime archypes, with no development beyond what their base character types are. There's the stern hero, the ditzy girl, mysterious mages and even the goth girl.

I won't say it's all bad, I did get some enjoyment out of my playthrough and I cared enough to at least try getting into hard mode but if you didn't enjoy the demo, I'd stay clear of the full game.
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2013 09:22:50 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, a major problem I've seen with this game is that there's too big a jump between difficulty levels.

Hard hasn't been that hard for me (past about Chapter 5), as someone that's played through Hard modes on other titles. But it's a huge jump up from Normal, which is a joke. There needs to be something in between. Maybe make Normal Mode into Easy, and a new difficulty in between.

I'm going to try Lunatic soon. I'm actually sort of looking forward to it, now that I pretty much know how everything works.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:23:06 13-05-2013
  • redcrayon 13 May 2013 10:22:32 4,573 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im on hard, currently on chapter 12, and I'm finding it about right for me. Being able to grind means that I'm generally playing the story missions then a couple of battles with the risen to level up the team in between.

If you are getting destroyed, think about using the second seals to keep gaining stats faster as a basic class before using a master seal to move to an advance class, also don't use either unless the unit has maxed out xp at level 20. Most of my main team are around lv 7 on their advanced class, and the options have made it much easier- my healer is now a war monk with added defence from a dracoshield, my Pegasus knight is now also a healer, and my Mage, rickon, is now a sage, destroying everything with his magic value of 30.

If you see any permanent stat increasing items like spirit dust, goddess icon, Draco shield etc for sale, make sure you pick them up.

I agree it's a harsh difficulty jump though, with 'normal' having very little risk at all. Also, in previous games, enemy reinforcements couldn't appear and move on the same turn- now all you get is a warning they will arrive at some point. Still, sitting on forts will stop them arriving there, on top of the defensive bonus and health regen, so that's sometimes worth a go.

Even so, I've had enemy troops turn up and immediately wreck my back line on a couple of missions, so generally now I advance steadily and avoid the edges of the map, particularly behind my deployment area, and also level weaker troops on the risen battles rather than the story missions which often have a more fluid battlefield situation!

Edited by redcrayon at 10:28:50 13-05-2013
  • Rhaegyr 13 May 2013 11:18:45 2,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @f311

I didn't state you were a fanboy - you explained you weren't gripped with the 3DS and didn't click with some of the better Nintendo titles on the system, so I thought it may not be the handheld for you - no offence intended.

For the record I don't own a 3DS, though I do own a copy of FE:A and steal my brother's 3DS at every opportune moment :)

Edited by Rhaegyr at 11:21:39 13-05-2013
  • el_pollo_diablo 18 May 2013 11:45:49 2,148 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this a game that I can play in 15 minute chunks?
  • Mola_Ram 18 May 2013 11:49:04 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, you can suspend battles and resume them later if you want. But many will take more than 15 minutes.
  • el_pollo_diablo 18 May 2013 12:19:08 2,148 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm. Suspend as in save, or as in close the lid?
  • Mola_Ram 18 May 2013 12:21:34 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Suspend as in save. When you resume it, the save gets deleted.

Although playing on Casual mode might let you make multiple saves during battles. I'm not 100% sure.
  • el_pollo_diablo 18 May 2013 13:58:25 2,148 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok thanks :)
  • Kid_Icarus 18 May 2013 14:35:07 555 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really loving this game. A few units have got married and my character now has two kids. And weirdly Chrom also has a kid, but no wife, they just vaguely mention a maiden who is never seen. :)

Also, Donnel is an absolute beast, he has nearly 40HP more than anyone else on my team and kills pretty much anything in one hit! It's not like I've only been using him either.
  • Alastair 18 May 2013 22:04:32 16,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not very far in, but enjoying it so far.
    My first 3DS game so getting used to the system as well. I like the implementation of 3D on the top screen.
    I've just unlocked the concept of support conversations and done the first one.
  • Page

of 32 First / Last