Fire Emblem: Awakening Page 11

• Page

of 32 First / Last

• Garfy 26 Apr 2013 16:06:01 696 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    OK, beginning to get the hang of this now, just finished Chapter 5.

Sully is really my go-to girl right now, kicking arse and taking names with double attacks from horseback.

As for relationships Chrom and My Avatar Erin have gotten up to A rank already but I don't think I want that relationship to go any further. So far all they've done is walk in on each other naked, hardly a romance for the ages.
  • Gregolution 26 Apr 2013 16:19:48 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've got this waiting for me at home. I've never played any of the series, but I love strategy games and the EG review made me go out and get a 3DS specifically for it.

Question : Is Hard / Classic the way to go given I've not played them before?

I generally like games to be hard with harsh penalties so that sounds good, but will there to be too much of a learning curve to even get started?

PSN : Gregolution
    XBL : Gregolutionz

• Murbs 26 Apr 2013 17:50:48 22,579 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Normal classic for me. Hard is for those with more time than I can manage.
  • Deleted user 26 April 2013 17:52:07
    normal
  • Gregolution 26 Apr 2013 22:52:30 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I took magic as strength and strength as my weakness. Given I have a sword as well as spells maybe that's a dumb choice?

Have no idea what I'm doing and lost 2 characters in chapter 1! Might restart on normal....

• redcrayon 27 Apr 2013 00:24:05 4,573 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you haven't played fire emblem before, normal is a good bet- the game engine relies on you taking in a lot of info before each move as it will mercilessly punish each mistake and kill your troops where it can. To be honest, that's why I like it- your troops are fragile, rather than SRPGs where you have a handful of overpowered guys with hundreds of hit points each that are only KO'd if someone runs a lance through them.

Don't worry about your main character- you can switch classes as much as you like later on, and there are also items you can buy and classes that will give you strength boosts or a better chance of increasing strength. If you stick with that character, max magic up to 'A' class, then switch to swords- the same goes for any class, if they can use multiple weapons train them in both rather than wasting weapon xp using something they can't get any better at.

The best way to learn is just to play, and you might find it gets too difficult to be anything but frustrating later on if you are a newcomer playing on hard mode with permadeath.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 01:20:45 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah. I'm still on hard classic, but would not recommend it if you don't like restarting, or haven't played the series before.

Reinforcements are the biggest bitch. On hard they appear and attack in the same turn.

*moves towards boss*

*enemy turn, wyverns appear right behind us*

Game: SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER, YOUR HEALER'S DEAD.

Me: sigh... *reset*

Edited by Mola_Ram at 01:26:53 27-04-2013
  • Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 07:03:04 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @redcrayon

Thanks, good info that. Will restart normal classic this morning.

Btw the 3d animated cut scenes are gorgeous

• Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 09:50:35 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Unlocked wireless options.. No clue what that's all about! Send out a team? Duels? There's not much of an explanation to any of it.

Finding it quite easy on normal difficulty now but fun little game

Edited by Gregolution at 09:50:50 27-04-2013

• Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 10:03:15 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So what's the point in double duel?
    With avatar logbook I can buy characters for gold?
    What's with bonus box? I just got a free item for nothing, why? What are the challengers?
    How do I make renown?

Outside of wifi, onto support. Do I want to choose every conversation that comes up or do I need to pick carefully?

That's a lot of questions... Sorry

• Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 10:13:54 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bonus Box - afaik these just come when you're connected to the internet. It's free, hence the "bonus" thing.

Renown, I think, is made when someone parleys with your team via StreetPass, or when you win a battle against someone summoned from the bonus teams. So, turn StreetPass on, and it will increase.

With support, choose every conversation that comes up. You used to have to choose carefully, but this is no longer the case. The only choice you make is which character to have an S-rank support with. You can only have one of those.
  • Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 10:50:58 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers!

• addyb 27 Apr 2013 11:04:09 1,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've noticed I've picked up a couple of dark magics. Will I end up progressing a character in order to be able to use them or come across one that will? Im only at chapter 8.

I also lost Virion at chapter 5 (stupid mistake) I keep amassing different bows but don't have an archer. Again please tell me I'll come across another.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 11:16:22 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Regarding Dark Magic, yes, you will come across someone who can use it, in Chapter 9.

But you can also reclass one of your existing characters if you don't want to wait.
  • Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 11:17:45 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shit I can tell this is going to be a very very bloody good game already.

So in the bonus box I Summoned a team and he now appears on my map. I can fight him or buy from him etc. Unfortunately he's way too high level for me now and because he's sat at a town he blocks me from using the town shop.

If i dismiss him can I ever get him back?

• addyb 27 Apr 2013 11:26:03 1,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Regarding Dark Magic, yes, you will come across someone who can use it, in Chapter 9.

But you can also reclass one of your existing characters if you don't want to wait.
    Errmm what have I missed. How do I reclass someone?
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 11:34:29 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    addyb wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

If you have a Second Seal item, just use it on someone. Then you choose a new class for them.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 11:35:28 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Shit I can tell this is going to be a very very bloody good game already.

So in the bonus box I Summoned a team and he now appears on my map. I can fight him or buy from him etc. Unfortunately he's way too high level for me now and because he's sat at a town he blocks me from using the town shop.

If i dismiss him can I ever get him back?
    If he was summoned from the Bonus Box (ie. not a human), then you should be able to re-summon him.
  • addyb 27 Apr 2013 11:37:48 1,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    addyb wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

If you have a Second Seal item, just use it on someone. Then you choose a new class for them.
    Ahh OK. Don't have one of those. Was just checking and not missed some thing obvious. Thanks mate.
  • JinTypeNoir 27 Apr 2013 11:49:59 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One of the best things about this game is taking a risk and having it all work out. I put four vulnerable units in the line of fire of five units who could easily take out two of them if they coordinated their attacks well enough. My plan was to weaken them enough so they could be killed in my next turn if my units remained, but I could only do that if I used a mage and a dragon shifter. I would then need to bring my healer into the open to heal my axe knight with low defense for him to have any chance of surviving the next round.

One fell into right into my trap of blocking the only attack route that would give them enough of an advantage by moving to a square that sealed the rest of them off. Without being able to reach either of the weaker units, they walked, one after another one into my dragon knight, mercenary and axe knight, who picked them all out one after another. In a series of supports, faints and close dodges, all the character came out, not unscathed, but holding on to enough of their life after that the risky skirmish was success and I was able to finish off the fifth unit and buy enough turns to heal and win the day.

Fire Emblem in a nutshell.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 12:12:48 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Reinforcements :(

I really should take a note of where and what turn they spawn in. So far I've had to restart three times because of them.
  • BeheretiK 27 Apr 2013 12:17:34 884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I'm sure you probably know this already but you can block reinforcements appearing in a specific fort by having a unit placed there. Not always feasible but, for example, when heading to the boss, this works perfectly.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Mola_Ram 27 Apr 2013 12:19:42 8,256 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    BeheretiK wrote:
    @Mola_Ram I'm sure you probably know this already but you can block reinforcements appearing in a specific fort by having a unit placed there. Not always feasible but, for example, when heading to the boss, this works perfectly.
    Oh, I know that. But I'm on Chapter 11, and there are a LOT of forts.

It's ok. I just need to be smarter in teaming up weaker units.
  • JinTypeNoir 27 Apr 2013 12:21:05 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another good tactic if you can't keep someone at a fort is to remember the highest movement you've seen at that point from an enemy and keep away weak members of your army at least that many away from the edges of the map or a fort.

If the reinforcements can't make it to your weak units, they will take the shortest route possible to try and get to them. If another unit IS in range, they will attack that unit on that route. Keep "I'm-gonna-fuck-up-you-up-if-you-so-much-as-look-at-me" unit just one spot away from the weak unit who is out of range and they will walk into the trap. Then in the next round, rescue all the units you sacrificed into double teams and move them both to forts where they both will get HP refreshes. The HP refresh + fort defensive bonus + double team bonus will make short work of anyone who tries to chase you, especially if you combine it with long distance attacks from mages and archers.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 12:25:38 27-04-2013
  • BeheretiK 27 Apr 2013 12:23:10 884 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, fair enough. I am only on Chapter 6 so only had maybe 3 forts in Chapter 5 I think. Hmmmm, sounds like it is only going to get tougher! I am just about doing OK on Hard/Classic but have lost 2 units so far and it is hard as nails. Still, would not have it any other way. What a game, loving it!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 12:36:14 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played 3 hours of normal. Got my head around the basics. Going to restart on hard. Too good a game to be played on normal.

Glad I bought a 3ds for this!

• JinTypeNoir 27 Apr 2013 12:50:05 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gregolution, its your choice, whatever pleases you. I just thought I'd let you know if this is your first time playing Fire Emblem, unless you read a FAQ or got some information elsewhere beyond that 3 hour play; you still haven't been introduced to many of the elements of the game. It will get harder.
  • Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 12:58:27 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

Point taken

• addyb 27 Apr 2013 12:58:36 1,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm happy with normal/classic mode at the moment. Only on chapter 8 but lost a few characters already. I'll definitely be playing through it again on hard anyway.
  • Gregolution 27 Apr 2013 13:23:42 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lol I tried one more level on normal and lost 3 characters in turn 2.

Think I'll do the same as you addyb. Save hard for replay

• Page

of 32 First / Last