New Double Fine adventure funded by Kickstarter Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 15:59:14 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Somebody should start a Kickstarter to fund a People's Takeover of EA.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• X201 9 Feb 2012 16:02:24 15,146 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seeing as we've clicked over onto page two...

Now $622,722

Its 8am in San Francisco now, would love to see Schafer's bleary eyed face as he loads up the KickStarter website and checks the total :D

Edited by X201 at 16:04:00 09-02-2012
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:02:50 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon this might peeter out around $800K. Despite getting my name in the credits along with 1,400 other people, I get a warm glow knowing that Timbo and Ronzo are working together again on a new adventure game.

Its like I died and went to early 90s heaven!! :champ:
  • El_MUERkO 9 Feb 2012 16:04:57 16,956 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    $800K
    I'm sure they'll be chuffed with that, it's twice what they asked. And then it'll pop up on Steam, Desura etc... and more than likely make them pure profit.
  • Razz 9 Feb 2012 16:15:55 60,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It'll be more than that, it's only just starting to attract the attention of major media outlets, it'll be well over a million by next week.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:17:00 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Too right. Tim and Greg's tweets show that they are bowled over as to the response.

I'm addicted to F5'ing the Kindstarter page! It's still going up at $100 every few seconds :)

$800,000K is probably greater than the budget for most of the LucasArts adventure games up to Curse of Monkey Island. This game is going to be awesome :D
  • Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:17:22 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think if they go over by a stupidly large amount they should buy back the rights to Monkey Island.

• Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:18:09 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese Gilbert tweeted earlier that the first Monkey Island had a budget of $130,000.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:18:24 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And Maniac Mansion. And Full Throttle. And Grim Fandango.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:19:52 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    @Ignatius_Cheese Gilbert tweeted earlier that the first Monkey Island had a budget of $130,000.
    Yeah, I saw that :) MI2 must have been a lot higher, what with the hand drawn art and scanned backgrounds. The next leap was to voice acting in Sam & Max / DOTT. Budgets must have crept up quite a bit from Secret.
  • the_dudefather 9 Feb 2012 16:22:58 9,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wonder what telltale thinks about the 'man, adventure games are dead, let's make a new one!' speech from Tim in the video :)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Lexx87 9 Feb 2012 16:24:03 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    It'll be more than that, it's only just starting to attract the attention of major media outlets, it'll be well over a million by next week.
    About a page back you were saying it won't get anywhere near $600,000!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:24:13 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The only potential downside of this for Double Fine that I can see is that if it carries on like this, about 80-90% of the people who would have wanted to buy the new game will already be getting it as the reward for their funding. There's not going to be much in the way of revenues.

• jimnastics 9 Feb 2012 16:28:24 250 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    The only potential downside of this for Double Fine that I can see is that if it carries on like this, about 80-90% of the people who would have wanted to buy the new game will already be getting it as the reward for their funding. There's not going to be much in the way of revenues.
    Eh? These are basically pre-orders... I don't really get your point. Rather than seeking loans / investors to pay for development, then repay loans through revenue or see profits going back to investors, they've just cut out the middle men. I think it's amazing.

Anyway, I've pumped in $250. I've been a massive fan of Schafer and Gilbert my whole game-playing life.
  • X201 9 Feb 2012 16:37:50 15,146 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    But there won't be debts either. But there will be bucket-loads of trust for the next product he wants to crowd source.

Edited by X201 at 16:38:17 09-02-2012
  • Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:38:51 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jimnastics My point is exactly that they're funding it through pre-orders, and because the project's a bit niche there's not likely to be many sales other than the pre-orders. So not much scope for profits to invest in the future of the studio, start off new projects etc.

I think it's amazing too (and have backed it), as you'll see further up the thread, just don't think it's something a business that size could rely on to get things made on a more regular basis if they didn't have other irons in the fire.

The important thing is that it's getting made at all, and I'm super-excited to see the results.

• Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:41:04 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @X201 I hope that proves to be the case, but not sure if people would regularly pay in advance for all Double Fine's games once there isn't the "getting the old band back together" vibe that there is this time.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:47:08 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm dunno. If you're paying up front for a trusted body of talent such as Double Fine, I could see it working well on other projects.

No different from paying an architect up front to design a property for you.

Now, if Activision came cap in hand asking for contributions towards a new project, I'd happily defecate in the cap without hesitation. Swings and roundabouts!
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 9 Feb 2012 16:47:29 10,852 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, and I revise my estimate up to $2 million.
  • Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 16:53:52 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like the architect analogy. And couldn't agree more re Activision.

Anyway, not trying to bring the thread down. Just playing devil's advocate as much as anything.

Really, really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. A classic Lucasarts style graphic adventure with modern production values is pretty much guaranteed to be something really special.

• MetalDog 9 Feb 2012 16:56:56 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's the sort of pay system that has worked out for quite a few people releasing unfinished games and improving them off the back of sales. Mount and Blade and Minecraft being two good examples.

It might well work for them given how huge their names are in the gaming community. They have a bigger team, but they also have a lot more 'reach' than your average indy dev starts out with too.

Certainly watching this development with keen interest (and throwing my money into the ring too). A world where creators get almost 100% of the return for their creativity would be quite a good one. It would make it much easier to live off of being creative than it currently is.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 9 February 2012 17:03:11
    MetalDog wrote:
    Certainly watching this development with keen interest (and throwing my money into the ring too). A world where creators get almost 100% of the return for their creativity would be quite a good one. It would make it much easier to live off of being creative than it currently is.
    The problem is that you have to be established for something like this to really work. People don't want to throw money at something utterly unknown. This is reaching the millions because it's Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. I'd be lucky to hit twenty quid if I started a kickstarter project going 'HELLO, I'M UNKNOWN. MONEY FOR SOMETHING CREATIVE PLEASE'.

Don't get me wrong, Kickstarter is in itself a great thing, but it's pretty high up the rung of creativity, a rung that the huge majority of creators won't ever reach.
  • Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 17:05:27 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Totaliser's started to rocket again. At 677,000 now.

Take it America's waking up.

• Razz 9 Feb 2012 17:09:58 60,778 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ignatius could be right, it might well go over 2 million. Does kickstart get a cut?

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 17:10:02 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

UPDATE: We did it! 100% funded in just over eight hours. You people are amazing! But it's not over yet. The number keeps going up and now the question is just how much news do we want to make with this? We're getting a lot of attention already and it seems like this little project could have an impact beyond itself.

All money raised will go to make the game and documentary better. Additional money means it can appear on more platforms,translate into more languages, have more music and voice, an original soundtrack for the documentary, and more!

Your backing and comments have been truly inspiring to me and the team, so on behalf of Double Fine and 2 Player Productions I want to say THANK YOU!!!

I can't wait to see where this thing can go!
    I predict episode 1 of the documentary will open with a 5-minute CGI extravaganza :D

• neilka 9 Feb 2012 17:11:01 15,678 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's worth remembering that they don't actually have anyone's money until we get charged on 13th March...
  • Popzeus 9 Feb 2012 17:13:02 8,272 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, episode 2

• jimnastics 9 Feb 2012 17:13:34 250 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Razz 10% as I understand it... bet they are absolutely loving this, but quite rightly so, fair play to them for enabling the magic to happen.

Edited by jimnastics at 17:14:01 09-02-2012
  • the_dudefather 9 Feb 2012 17:22:53 9,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tim on twitter: 'Kickstarter records so far: Most funds raised in the first 24 hours. Highest number of backers of all time, and growing! Good morning! :)'

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• MetalDog 9 Feb 2012 17:25:05 23,708 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The problem is that you have to be established for something like this to really work. People don't want to throw money at something utterly unknown. This is reaching the millions because it's Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. I'd be lucky to hit twenty quid if I started a kickstarter project going 'HELLO, I'M UNKNOWN. MONEY FOR SOMETHING CREATIVE PLEASE'.

Don't get me wrong, Kickstarter is in itself a great thing, but it's pretty high up the rung of creativity, a rung that the huge majority of creators won't ever reach.
    Oh yeah, but that's why I cited Mount and Blade and Minecraft - before you have the rep, it's becoming much easier to privately fund creativity and if you have something people want to pay for, you almost certainly will make money from it. Probably not hundreds of thousands, but a future where creative people can at least pay the rent off the back of their main talent is looking much brighter. Fewer gatekeepers, fewer suits needing convincing, direct to audience - happening more frequently across all media. It's exciting =D

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Page

of 10 First / Last