Noel Fielding's luxury comedy

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Ka-blamo 27 Jan 2012 15:46:25 7,305 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone watch this last night?

I love the Boosh, and 'surreal comedy', but.....What the fuck was that!!?

Edited by Ka-blamo at 16:02:56 27-01-2012
  • Nasty 27 Jan 2012 15:46:46 4,741 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Utter shite is what it was.
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2012 15:50:01 19,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it was pretty terrible. Very self indulgent. By which I mean, I imagine Fielding thought it was incredibly funny and clever and quirky, but I'm sure hardly anyone else will have.

Paintings & Photographs

• localnotail 27 Jan 2012 15:50:27 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I liked the Lion.

And the way that when Daran Cache* tapped his pencil into the ashtray, pencil shavings fell off.

And it was pretty. Such vibrant colours!

But yeah. Other than as a natural counterbalance to Michael McIntyre's mainstream comedy, I'm not sure what that was.

The gashes on the yellow cop freaked me out a bit.

*punny!

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 15:52:47 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looked up an advert and... oh my god. That looks woeful.
  • binky Moderator 27 Jan 2012 15:54:50 9,544 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was fucking weird, and I like weird.

It missed the straight-guy in the form of Howard Moon, and the overarching storyline of a Boosh episode, but all in all it had me laughing. I always used to like the little stories they told in Boosh, so this was fine by me.

The animation was bloody great too!
  • DFawkes 27 Jan 2012 16:08:59 22,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love weird. Strange and bizarre is always good. This was just the worst thing I've ever seen. I really wish I was exaggerating, but I felt it was just shockingly bad. It definitely didn't contain anything that would be objectively be called a joke by any definition, though I think that is the point so I'm not really calling that a negative.

It was the fact that I didn't find it entertaining in any capacity that would stop me watching ever again. I even went in with super low expectations, but not low enough - it was even worse than I thought it'd be. It actually almost tried to appear coherent at some points, which I feel might not have been the best course of action. Visually interesting though, if nothing else.

To each their own though, if anyone enjoyed it I hope they continue to do so :)

Edited by DFawkes at 16:09:31 27-01-2012

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 16:17:37 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I watched the first ten minutes on 4OD and had to turn it off. Trying way too hard to be 'wacky'. It seems like Fielding was never told "no" when making it.

If you want to see something weird that still has laughs, I'd recommend Limmy's Show. Don't think it's shown down in England, though.
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2012 16:18:05 19,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey I'm Noel Fielding. Wouldn't it be funny, right, if there was a chip pan that had ostrich legs, right, and it conversed through wormholes and it had a wife who was made out of wax and so they could never make love because his lukewarm oil would cause her to change shape ever so slightly and she was really body conscious.

...And so on and so on.

Being Noel Fielding is piss easy.

Paintings & Photographs

• Ka-blamo 27 Jan 2012 16:22:28 7,305 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    With Julian barrett containing his weirdness and keeping it on course he's funny, but on his own he's a diarrhoea bomb.
  • Kid_Icarus 27 Jan 2012 16:24:45 556 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought the first half of it was pretty dire, but the lion and Pele were hilarious. Very hit and miss stuff really, especially Sgt Raymond Boombox which I can tell could be a much funnier character than he was in this episode.

I'll give it another chance next week, mostly to see how the other characters turn out but I don't have high hopes for it.
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Jan 2012 16:38:03 16,920 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This sounds much like Fielding's standup but worse. I did get some laughs out of it when I saw him live but when it didn't work it bombed appallingly.

You are a factory of sadness.

• King_Edward 27 Jan 2012 16:56:18 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the guy riding a pencil was funny.
  • FogHeart 27 Jan 2012 17:07:42 944 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surreal comedy is just like surreal painting - on paper it seems easier than other comedy, in practice it's much harder.

Boosh seems to work because the surreal comedy is contained by a storyline and a location. It looks like without the containment Fielding's take on surreal just becomes a mess.

To see successful surreal comedy at work, of course there's Monty Python...but the sick twisted bastard inside me enjoyed Jam.

Edited by FogHeart at 17:10:11 27-01-2012
  • CharlieStCloud 27 Jan 2012 17:09:58 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love the Mighty Boosh and I don't mind Noel Fielding in general but this was a very bizarre, surreal and weird TV show at it's best... albeit without the comedy!

I did laugh a couple of times, especially at the beginning (eating the cereal 'poo drops') however, you know it is not going very well when the moon scene gets the biggest smile of them all.

I will watch this next Thursday but it shall have to be quite a hefty-amount-better than the first episode for me to carry on watching the rest of the series.

... a rather disappointing start.

: (
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2012 17:11:58 19,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Noel Fielding is a bit of a one trick pony. The pony is also half slug covered in glitter ball eyes that whistle a tiny lament to the past and the future each time they blink.

You get my point. Being surreal for the sake of it isn't clever or funny.

Paintings & Photographs

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 17:14:14 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Another one that's better than the ten minutes I could endure of this: Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job!

Definitely a bit of an acquired taste and more surreal than already quite surreal Limmy's Show, but there's a reason all the comedy names love it.
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2012 17:18:18 19,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aye, two genuinely good surreal shows that make this look extra bad.

Paintings & Photographs

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 17:21:22 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Have you seen Tim and Eric have a movie out soon? I think it's already out in the US on the on-demand services.

These things rarely translate well to film so my expectations are quite low, but some of the trailer made me laugh like the bit with Jeff Goldblum that's in my avatar.
  • President_Weasel 27 Jan 2012 17:25:38 9,118 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like he's suffering from the lack of a critical voice in his writing process, same as Tramadol Nights seems to have suffered from the lack of someone with sufficient authority to say "fuck's sake, Frank, this sketch is about seven minutes too long, and that other one's a load of shite that needs to be cut".
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2012 17:27:16 19,036 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Have you seen Tim and Eric have a movie out soon? I think it's already out in the US on the on-demand services.

These things rarely translate well to film so my expectations are quite low, but some of the trailer made me laugh like the bit with Jeff Goldblum that's in my avatar.
    Yeah, the same person who made me watch it in the first place drew my attention to this the other day- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZufP3hPXvg0&feature=youtu.be

I'm not convinced it'll work as a film either, but if it does then it ought to be pretty funny!

Paintings & Photographs

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 17:29:54 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Sounds like he's suffering from the lack of a critical voice in his writing process, same as Tramadol Nights seems to have suffered from the lack of someone with sufficient authority to say "fuck's sake, Frank, this sketch is about seven minutes too long, and that other one's a load of shite that needs to be cut".
    The thing is, there was a team of writers on Tramadol Nights. It's quite baffling that it was such a critical and commercial flop, really. I don't like Boyle, but you'd think him doing a sketch show on Channel 4 with Robert Florence on the writing team would do well.
  • Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2012 17:31:12 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Yeah, the same person who made me watch it in the first place drew my attention to this the other day- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZufP3hPXvg0&feature=youtu.be

I'm not convinced it'll work as a film either, but if it does then it ought to be pretty funny!
    Rango'd trailer
  • richarddavies 27 Jan 2012 22:31:28 2,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In the middle of this. It's the most self indulgent shit I've watched in ages.
  • Kosmoz 27 Jan 2012 22:37:53 7,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Barrett > Fielding.

The only bits that amused me were Pele and the Boosh cameo.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• richarddavies 27 Jan 2012 22:42:42 2,623 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The pele's picture's ok. I'm up to the bit where the choclate finger has shor pele with his cheese tank and ooh it just finished. I'm taking this off series link. Load of wank.

Edited by richarddavies at 22:57:00 27-01-2012
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2012 22:47:51 77,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The result of wanking alone for a year while on far too much cocaine.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Kosmoz 27 Jan 2012 22:48:25 7,654 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The fact that he will be 40 soon is frightening.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Tomo 28 Jan 2012 19:07:20 13,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Utter, utter shite. 23 minutes I'm not getting back.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Jan 2012 19:09:45 37,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watched it last night.

I won't be watching it again.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous