Which country has the best cuisine? Page 6

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • BinaryBob101 24 Jan 2012 14:40:33 22,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    Love it all but if I had to pick one.

    Britain - Chicken Madras, Fish and Chips, Full English and a Chicken Dinner.
    Madras is South Indian.
    It's a British dish, as are all our main curry dishes. It's only the vegetarian stuff that's usually Indian.
    Wrong.
    No, he's right. Madras is a British recipe.

    Beautiful tender beings.

  • roz123 24 Jan 2012 14:41:28 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The nicest fish I have ever had by a million miles is in the caribbean, if you ever go even for a day make sure you have some sort of fish its heaven. Its not really about the cooking itself just they have the most amazing fishing grounds on their doorstep.

    Italy is my favourite cuisine and my favourite place to go in Europe.
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Jan 2012 14:49:12 232 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    Love it all but if I had to pick one.

    Britain - Chicken Madras, Fish and Chips, Full English and a Chicken Dinner.
    Madras is South Indian.
    It's a British dish, as are all our main curry dishes. It's only the vegetarian stuff that's usually Indian.
    Wrong.
    No, he's right. Madras is a British recipe.
    This could go on for ever.

    The British versions of Indian dishes are British.... i.e. Madras CURRY.
    Madras is obviously Indian though.

    Yes there are loads of British/Indian named curries, most of which are based on and Indian version which might even be named the same thing. Generally British versions just seem to be saucier and more bland.
  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 14:51:22 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    figgis wrote:
    Love it all but if I had to pick one.

    Britain - Chicken Madras, Fish and Chips, Full English and a Chicken Dinner.
    Madras is South Indian.
    It's a British dish, as are all our main curry dishes. It's only the vegetarian stuff that's usually Indian.
    Wrong.
    No, he's right. Madras is a British recipe.
    Nope. The name "Madras" is an English invention, a reference to the origin of the dish. The recipe is authentic Indian, referring to the Madras region that was colonised in the early 1600s and became a major trading hub of the East India Company.

    The vast majority of what we know as curries are authentic indian recipes, with the exception of Tikka Massala (developed by an Indian chef in an Indian restuarant in the UK in the 70s) and Korma (a malaysian variation of the traditional Indian Kurma recipe dating back several hundred years which adds coconut milk to the indian version), which can be traced back hundreds, if not thousands of years (Sanskrit scrolls have been found showing curry recipes daing back to around 2,800BC)

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • disusedgenius 24 Jan 2012 14:53:08 5,224 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ffs people! It's down for a day and suddenly everyone forges how internet discussions work!

    Edited by disusedgenius at 14:53:30 24-01-2012
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2012 14:53:32 32,872 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    why is it that takeaway curry always tastes nicer than home made curry.

    is it just because they use more oil and ghee?

    mmmmm oil and ghee.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 14:53:37
    Yeah, I just looked it up on wikipedia too.
  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 14:55:25 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    UnblestCarpet wrote:
    This could go on for ever.

    The British versions of Indian dishes are British.... i.e. Madras CURRY.
    Madras is obviously Indian though.

    Yes there are loads of British/Indian named curries, most of which are based on and Indian version which might even be named the same thing. Generally British versions just seem to be saucier and more bland.
    Pretty much. The British definition of a curry tends to be a sauce-based dish. The indian definition doesn't, and also includes dry dishes and is more of a general term reffering to the use of blends of spices in any dish.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 14:56:22 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, I just looked it up on wikipedia too.
    That's nice. I was actually using a book by Madhur Jaffrey, which was on my kitchen shelf and which I refer to frequently as I make all my curries from scratch.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 14:56:39
    THFourteen wrote:
    why is it that takeaway curry always tastes nicer than home made curry.

    is it just because they use more oil and ghee?

    mmmmm oil and ghee.
    I now prefer homemade curry to takeaway. Gives you full control over the heat, spice, flavour and the utter greatness.

    However best country cuisine is obviously Italian. (my opinion)

    Edited by Fruit-Salad at 15:09:20 24-01-2012
  • disusedgenius 24 Jan 2012 14:57:45 5,224 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    is it just because they use more oil and ghee?
    Pretty much, my home-made curries tend to be pretty good but with far less of the oil and ghee (and so do suffer a bit, obviously). You can definitely see the difference in the consistency of the sauce etc.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 14:59:26
    darkmorgado wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Yeah, I just looked it up on wikipedia too.
    That's nice. I was actually using a book by Madhur Jaffrey, which was on my kitchen shelf and which I refer to frequently as I make all my curries from scratch.
    I WAS USING ONE BY GANDHI

    NAME DROPPED MOTHERFUCKER
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2012 15:05:26 32,872 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    why is it that takeaway curry always tastes nicer than home made curry.

    is it just because they use more oil and ghee?

    mmmmm oil and ghee.
    I now prefer homemade curry to takeaway. Gives you full control over the heat, spice, flavour and the utter greatest.

    However best country cuisine is obviously Italian. (my opinion)
    There's a place near london bridge called Silka which do the most amazing spicy lamb biriyani. Costs about 11, and would take me ages to make, and the meat is top notch falling apart. I'd rather just pay for it and eat out.

    my favourite food is italian style pepperoni / salami pizza. /drools
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:08:45
    Greek must also be mentioned! Never underestimate the awesomeness of Moussaka.
  • PhoenixFlames 24 Jan 2012 15:10:55 8,899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    Greek must also be mentioned! Never underestimate the awesomeness of Moussaka.
    Indeed. Probably my favourite cuisine. Lamb Kleftico, Dolmades, Greek roast potatoes...

    Mmm...Greek roast potatoes...

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 15:11:51 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    Greek must also be mentioned! Never underestimate the awesomeness of Moussaka.
    Mousakka is awesome. I tend to omit the aubergines though.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • DaM 24 Jan 2012 15:14:25 12,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of my best meals ever was on a wee place at the side of a road on a Greek island (Ikaria I think), tables on one side of the road, kitchen on the other. 9pm, it was empty, thought it was closed. No menu, you had to go into the kitchen, where some fat old Greek women were toiling away - after a taste of a few things we opted for "a bit of everything". It was amazing. It was very cheap (I was worried, as no prices were mentioned). After the bill was settled, a huge bowl of fruit salad was brought out, free.
  • smoothpete 24 Jan 2012 15:15:14 31,347 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who has the worst cuisine then? I'm going Iceland (country, not Katona-enabler shop)

    Mmmm can't wait till dinner time
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:16:56
    Isn't it Iceland that has the dead fish that they basically preserve in lye? It's either that or the shark that they bury under peat and let it decompose a bit before digging in.
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2012 15:17:15 32,872 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    budapest

    the food there was disgusting.

    dear god, butter soup.
  • smoothpete 24 Jan 2012 15:20:21 31,347 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Isn't it Iceland that has the dead fish that they basically preserve in lye? It's either that or the shark that they bury under peat and let it decompose a bit before digging in.
    Either Iceland or somewhere in the nordics, can't remember. Viking descendants anyway. I saw someone eat it on telly, they did not look happy with the situation
  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 15:20:43 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    British cuisine tends to be universally regarded as bland, boring, stodgy crap - which is true, to a point, due to the climate and the sort of crops that were traditionally grown here.

    But personally, I'd go with American, with Russian a close second.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 15:22:20 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    hmm, cheese...

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • UnblestCarpet 24 Jan 2012 15:22:25 232 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cuban food wasn't always great. On the surface it seems amazing but they have a tendency to completely over season things.
    This was in Casa Particulares (family houses that you stay at)
  • UnblestCarpet 24 Jan 2012 15:22:26 232 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:23:16
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Fruit-Salad wrote:
    Greek must also be mentioned! Never underestimate the awesomeness of Moussaka.
    Mousakka is awesome. I tend to omit the aubergines though.
    I've only ever had Moussaka abroad in Greece and Cyprus (I practically lived on them over there); and in a couple of restaurants over here and once, I'm ashamed to say Tesco Finest Range Moussaka which was much nicer than I thought it was going to be or I was just really hungry.

    I'd love to make my own Mousakka, but it could spell disaster.

    /tootles off to google: "Moussaka recipe"
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:23:55
    smoothpete wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Isn't it Iceland that has the dead fish that they basically preserve in lye? It's either that or the shark that they bury under peat and let it decompose a bit before digging in.
    Either Iceland or somewhere in the nordics, can't remember. Viking descendants anyway. I saw someone eat it on telly, they did not look happy with the situation
    I just remember Gordon Ramsay vomming on it.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:25:08
    UnblestCarpet wrote:
    Cuban food wasn't always great. On the surface it seems amazing but they have a tendency to completely over season things.
    This was in Casa Particulares (family houses that you stay at)
    Though it's not actually Cuban in itself, the Cuban Sandwich is a thing of beauty.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2012 15:26:53
    DaM wrote:
    One of my best meals ever was on a wee place at the side of a road on a Greek island (Ikaria I think), tables on one side of the road, kitchen on the other. 9pm, it was empty, thought it was closed. No menu, you had to go into the kitchen, where some fat old Greek women were toiling away - after a taste of a few things we opted for "a bit of everything". It was amazing. It was very cheap (I was worried, as no prices were mentioned). After the bill was settled, a huge bowl of fruit salad was brought out, free.
    DaM, that was just someones house :D
    They are so welcoming over there though.

    I had awesome New Potatoes and Mojo sauce once, I forget which country. Probably a Greek dish, again.

    Edit: Wiki says it's Canary Islands. That makes sense too. :o

    Edited by Fruit-Salad at 15:32:21 24-01-2012
  • spamdangled 24 Jan 2012 15:27:48 27,269 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember watching an episode of QI once where they were talking about this tinned rotten fish that smells so bad its banned on aeroplanes. Can't remember what its called.

    EDIT - This is it. Swedish "cuisine".

    Edited by darkmorgado at 15:28:38 24-01-2012

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply