Internet Speed Envy

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • munki83 14 Jan 2012 09:06:11 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was wondering if anyone else gets internet speed envy. Where I currently live the fastest connection we can get is 2.7mb which to be fair is about 50% faster than we had 6 years ago so there has been some improvement.

The problem is that whenever I hear that BT or Virgin media are spending millions on upping broadband speeds into the 100s or mbs I get angry at them, especially when its BT When Virgin Media do upgrades I can understand they are not in my estate maybe due to permissions from the council and what not but BT should be doing its upmost to give all its customers an equal service even if it means just making sure people are getting 10mb broadband, I'd be happy with 10mb. In the meanwhile I will look on in envy at the people who live about 300m away and have cable and 50mb broadband from Virgin Media
  • munki83 14 Jan 2012 09:22:46 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefuly that improves things but I wouldn't count myself as living in the sticks. I'm only a few miles from Motherwell town centre. Unfortunately thats also where my exchange is. I'd vote SNP and an independent Scotland if they give me a good connection
  • 2scoops 14 Jan 2012 09:29:18 131 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Billy_Sastard although if you're in the sticks, you're also unlikely to get a useable mobile connection - I'm only just outside a large town with cable & bt infinity, yet I get a 1.5Mb connection & no mobile coverage at all.
  • munki83 14 Jan 2012 09:35:34 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @2scoops Ouch 1.5mb sucks. If it makes you feel better bt had capped me at 0.5mb for months and said it was my fault until we got an engineer who told the tech support to lift the cap.
  • Grump 14 Jan 2012 10:09:04 1,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    New mobile 4G technology should change this for a majority of people who live out in the sticks that have no chance of decent speeds, it's rolling out this year and the speeds are going to be pretty awesome.

Click from BBC News with an interesting feature on it.
    Bet it costs a fortune though.
  • ModishNouns 14 Jan 2012 10:11:33 4,633 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plusnet have just upgraded me from 8mb of which I saw 6 to 20mb of which I see 10. Happy with that tbh. I'd have to get cable to see much better.

Edited by ModishNouns at 10:12:15 14-01-2012
  • welshben23 14 Jan 2012 10:24:43 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just tried an Internet speed-test on 3 different websites and they said my download speed is between 6.2 and 6.5Mbps. I thought I was only getting between 2 and 4! haha
  • munki83 14 Jan 2012 10:31:19 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder if I could complain to ofcom or whomever
  • robthehermit 14 Jan 2012 11:02:55 3,827 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just checked my speeds, I'm on Virgin 10Mb povvo broadband. A quick test tells me that at this moment in time I'm getting 9.73 down/1.03 up.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• munki83 14 Jan 2012 11:06:06 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think my only solution is to move house :p
  • Deleted user 14 January 2012 11:29:39
    Mine is 16 down, 4 up. Brussels though... :)
  • Fake_Blood 14 Jan 2012 11:33:46 3,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You on numericable in bxl?
  • Fab4 14 Jan 2012 11:36:28 5,689 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have 120 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload...so, no ;)
  • mrpon 14 Jan 2012 11:37:37 27,635 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    20 down 8 up. Still have envy! Any news on plusnet following Virgin with these obscene speeds?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 14 January 2012 11:37:43
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    No, Belgacom. Was installed when I arrived, so have no idea how it compares to other Belgian providers. It drops and restarts too often for my liking though, so might change it at some point.
  • Fake_Blood 14 Jan 2012 11:54:14 3,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    No, Belgacom. Was installed when I arrived, so have no idea how it compares to other Belgian providers. It drops and restarts too often for my liking though, so might change it at some point.
    Well you have two choices, belgacom which uses the phone line and numericable which goes over the tv cable.
    I'm on numericable, they offer 100mbit down, 5 up, which is not bad, at times.
    Right now I'm getting 30mbit down, but I have seen download speeds up to 9mbyte/s , which would be 72mbit. It highly depends on the time of day and where you live.
  • munki83 14 Jan 2012 11:56:45 1,331 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Well you have two choices, belgacom which uses the phone line and numericable which goes over the tv cable.
    Right now I'm getting 30mbit down, but I have seen download speeds up to 9mbyte/s , which would be 72mbit. It highly depends on the time of day and where you live.
    I envy those speeds....it can take forever to download a game of Steam for me. The witcher 2 is currently paused during an update cos 16gb would take a long time to download

Edited by munki83 at 11:58:12 14-01-2012
  • speedofthepuma 14 Jan 2012 11:57:17 13,246 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THAT'S NUMERICABLE!

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Fake_Blood 14 Jan 2012 12:10:22 3,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Forgot to mention that the unlimited data option is 10/month extra.

/sails away
  • ResidentKnievel 14 Jan 2012 12:25:46 5,867 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get 2 Mb/s where I live, but seeing as it's out in the middle of nowhere it costs about 20 quid/month and I only get 40 GB download allowance.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 14 January 2012 12:40:42
    yesterday, from virgin

Good news - we're giving you even faster broadband, for less.

You're already getting the UK's fastest widely available broadband, and starting this summer we'll be starting the roll-out to boost your speeds from up to 100Mb to up to 120Mb. We'll also be lowering the price of your broadband package in April to match the price of our 50Mb Broadband XXL packages.
    today
    Hello there,

Oops! That last email, 100Mb Broadband Announcement, was sent in error.

Please ignore this, and rest assured current Virgin Media Cable Broadband customers will be receiving some good news about their broadband in the next 2 weeks. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The Virgin Media team
    fuck you, trolls
  • Deleted user 14 January 2012 12:43:18
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Hmm. Not even sure I have a TV cable here, as my TV is over the internet via Belgacom too.. Not that I ever watch it. Watch Sky Player via xbox and a VPN back to UK most of the time..
  • Fake_Blood 14 Jan 2012 12:45:39 3,807 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Do you pay for the vpn to the uk?
    I'd love to get iPlayer here.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2012 12:58:57
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Do you pay for the vpn to the uk?
    I'd love to get iPlayer here.
    Yes. It's 5 a month and well worth it. Solid as a rock. Can stream high quality Sky pics to my 360 and laptop at the same time with no problems. I can add the link when I get home if you're interested?
  • Dougs 14 Jan 2012 13:21:15 64,852 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Billy_Sastard wrote:
    New mobile 4G technology should change this for a majority of people who live out in the sticks that have no chance of decent speeds, it's rolling out this year and the speeds are going to be pretty awesome.

Click from BBC News with an interesting feature on it.
    LTE won't make that much difference, at least initially. At the moment, you can get 30mbps, but that's contended. Will def play a role but it's not a quick fix

Govt cash will help deliver superfast broadband to 90%, if you're getting shit speeds, lobby your local council
  • mrharvest 14 Jan 2012 13:55:36 5,155 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I feel lucky if I get any kind of connection here.
  • Salaman 14 Jan 2012 14:52:01 18,236 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Greggywocky... wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Check out Telenet. Although come to think of it that might be limited to Flanders. Still there's no doubt a cable provider in Brussels as well that does internet + digital TV packages. Depending on where in Brussels you settled, you might even be in Flemish territory and able to get Telenet.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous