XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 19

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Spekingur 6 Oct 2012 00:12:00 483 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @agparrot You can see it in the demo when the game shows you the geosphere and tells you to select a mission, they look like green squares, TB video reference.

So I am left wondering what those green squares are. They do look like where the base for that specific area would be.
  • WrongShui 6 Oct 2012 00:44:01 6,622 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are they not the satellites?
  • El_MUERkO 6 Oct 2012 01:13:47 17,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can now Pre-Load the game on Steam. 12.1 gigs.
  • Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 01:47:16 4,502 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @El_MUERkO Then get ripp.. uhh i mean pay up 30 on release?

Oh, i suppose the freebie of civilisation 5 on steam balances out the purchase.

Edited by Moot_Point at 01:47:40 06-10-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• agparrot 6 Oct 2012 02:57:27 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WrongShui wrote:
    Are they not the satellites?
    Pretty sure they are mini satellite symbols, yes.
  • Spekingur 6 Oct 2012 03:27:50 483 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @WrongShui It is true, they look like ground satellites stations. So I guess they are basically passive "bases" (similar to bases in the UFO series from ALTAR Interactive).
  • Lotos8ter 6 Oct 2012 09:05:53 2,364 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't remember when a game release was the same across all retailers and platforms. I know there's the pre-order bonus available across the board, but none of this "Preorder at GAME for a unique weapon/squad mate" bollocks.

/Praise the Sun

Fiat Lux

• Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 09:07:33 4,502 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Spekingur wrote:
    If you are looking for something like the original you should check out Xenonauts.
    Yes, Xenonauts looks pretty good. However, i have been playing X-Com games for many years, and i am sad that this game doesn't really deserve the X-Com name.

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:07:59 06-10-2012

================================================================================

• preacherman69 6 Oct 2012 09:19:36 177 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Spekingur wrote:
    If you are looking for something like the original you should check out Xenonauts.
    Yes, Xenonauts looks pretty good. However, i have been playing X-Com games for many years, and i am sad that this game doesn't really deserve the X-Com name.
  • Bremenacht 6 Oct 2012 14:04:31 19,415 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Spekingur wrote:
    Why not fuck off you tedious, boring cunt.
  • Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 14:21:44 4,502 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    How rude.

Edited by Moot_Point at 14:24:19 06-10-2012

• El_MUERkO 6 Oct 2012 14:47:22 17,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-05-the-re-making-of-xcom

Desperados! I totally forgot about that game :D

Edited by El_MUERkO at 14:48:34 06-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 6 Oct 2012 14:57:03 19,415 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    How rude.
    It was. I apologise.

Please stop banging on about it not being XCOM. Anyone who's followed this game for more than a week will know a fair bit about what they're getting and what they're not getting, compared to the originals (which most will already own).

You're a Moot_Point making a moot point (as someone has already said). Why not read what the guy who created the originals thinks of the new one?.
  • Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 15:17:14 4,502 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bremenacht Apology accepted.

X-com holds a special place in my heart (amongst other franchises), and like i have said, i have played it for many years. So, to see the game butchered and many options withdrawn, makes me angry to know many will not get the same experience as i did playing the original.

At least there is one glimmer of hope with Xenonauts, but this should have the X-com moniker, not this new version.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:18:44 06-10-2012

• Trafford 6 Oct 2012 15:43:26 5,934 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jake Solomon seems like a decent guy, his approach and deference is very likable.
  • phAge 6 Oct 2012 16:04:34 24,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @Bremenacht Apology accepted.

... makes me angry to know many will not get the same experience as i did playing the original.
    The experience you get playing a game depends entirely on:

a) Who you are

and

b) The context of said game

In other words: even if someone made an exact replica of UFO (UFO HD?) today, after 18 years of gaming evolution, gamers *still* wouldn't get "the same experience" you did, and the game wouldn't appeal to those modern gamers in anywhere near the same way as it did to us, all those years ago.

I'm yet to read a single preview that isn't gushing with praise over this game, and IMHO the people demanding UFO HD are really just yearning for their *memories* of playing that game, and how that made them feel back then.
  • WrongShui 6 Oct 2012 16:34:23 6,622 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignore the sourpuss, it's ok not to like it, it's boring to to keep mentioning it on every page and its annoying that people quote and engage it.

Slugging my way through Terror from the Deep, think ill throw it in and enjoy some Apocalypse.

Anyone using a VPN to get this on tuesday?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Oct 2012 16:55:08 26,364 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Has it been confirmed if/when a Steam preload is likely to happen?

I need one so I can torture myself into even more of a messy frenzy.
    So far it's working beautifully.

I now hate my PC and the way that Pre-load button keeps sneering at me.
  • Scimarad 6 Oct 2012 18:07:10 8,601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

Why not read what the guy who created the originals thinks of the new one?.
    I like the mention of him playing Valkyria Chronicles. That game always reminded me of XCOM for some peculiar reason.
  • fletch7100 6 Oct 2012 18:27:25 7,441 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/10/06/xcom-s-classic-ironman-mode-is-an-even-match-for-its-creator.aspx
  • Moot_Point 6 Oct 2012 18:58:28 4,502 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Interesting interview. Most important quote...

"Is there anything about X-COM you'd like to see being addressed in this remake?

Yeah, of course. Mainly in the realm of accessibility, which some people might call 'dumbing down' In the early 90s of course you didn't have in-game tutorials or help, because it was all in the big thick manual. Today people do not read manuals, they expect the game to teach them how to play it. Which is fair enough. In Shadow Wars we put a fair amount of effort into making the game accessible, teaching the systems as you're playing the game, hopefully keeping the player interested as they're learning.

This is the major thing, but it doesn't mean you have to dumb anything down in the sense that the full complexity of the game would be eventually revealed to the player as he learns all the systems. That was one thing that was difficult about the original UFO [X-COM was known as UFO in the UK]. It put you there and forced you to make decisions straight away without much idea of what you were supposed to be doing!"

So, even Julian will be hating this remake, because the complexity has been removed and the game dumbed down (i like how Julian refers to a tutorial as dumbing down!). Nice to see a tutorial, even though it annoyed some of the target audience who played the demo.

• phAge 6 Oct 2012 19:09:33 24,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Interesting interview. Most important quote...

"Is there anything about X-COM you'd like to see being addressed in this remake?

Yeah, of course. Mainly in the realm of accessibility, which some people might call 'dumbing down' In the early 90s of course you didn't have in-game tutorials or help, because it was all in the big thick manual. Today people do not read manuals, they expect the game to teach them how to play it. Which is fair enough. In Shadow Wars we put a fair amount of effort into making the game accessible, teaching the systems as you're playing the game, hopefully keeping the player interested as they're learning.

This is the major thing, but it doesn't mean you have to dumb anything down in the sense that the full complexity of the game would be eventually revealed to the player as he learns all the systems. That was one thing that was difficult about the original UFO [X-COM was known as UFO in the UK]. It put you there and forced you to make decisions straight away without much idea of what you were supposed to be doing!"

So, even Julian will be hating this remake, because the complexity has been removed and the game dumbed down (i like how Julian refers to a tutorial as dumbing down!). Nice to see a tutorial, even though it annoyed some of the target audience who played the demo.
    You (and possibly Julian) seem to have trouble telling the difference between complex and complicated. The new XCOM manages to be the former without being the latter - which is very much a good thing.

Also, I suspect I'm feeding a troll here. Sorry.
  • Scimarad 6 Oct 2012 19:25:05 8,601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Okay, I think we can safely say we are all aware of your opinion on the matter. Do you think we might possibly move on so the people who are really, really looking forward to this can discuss it without you jumping in every two seconds to remind us "It's not the real XCOM".

Hey, I've got an idea! Why not start a thread called "X-Com: You know, the real one that came out ages ago!" where you can moan about how things aren't the same any more.

Just a suggestion...
  • AaronTurner 6 Oct 2012 20:07:56 7,852 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    6 days. 6 long days.
  • phAge 6 Oct 2012 20:12:01 24,412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haven't been this stoked about a game in years. Even putting down the dosh for the PC Special Edition, which is something I usually never do.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Oct 2012 22:14:08 17,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AaronTurner

I cant wait that long, I'll take my chances with unlocking it via south korean proxy :D
  • Spekingur 7 Oct 2012 00:36:59 483 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    preacherman69 wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Spekingur wrote:
    I can't say either way whether or not it is deserving of being called an XCOM. I am excited for this game but also wary. I've played the first one and Apocalypse a lot. The apparent need to say that the game has over 70 missions has me bit worried about the replayability. That they favoured handcrafted levels above randomization doesn't help in that regard either. I enjoyed a lot of the micromanagement in the first one as well, hearing that it is out is also worrisome. That doesn't mean it won't be an XCOM(ish) game. I mean, XCOM Enforcer says it all.

I can't deny though that I am disappointed that we are not getting the first one in new graphics.
  • Bremenacht 7 Oct 2012 01:14:43 19,415 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Okay, I think we can safely say we are all aware of your opinion on the matter. Do you think we might possibly move on so the people who are really, really looking forward to this can discuss it without you jumping in every two seconds to remind us "It's not the real XCOM".

Hey, I've got an idea! Why not start a thread called "X-Com: You know, the real one that came out ages ago!" where you can moan about how things aren't the same any more.

Just a suggestion...
    Even the unreliable forum search produced about 6 separate XCOM/UFO threads for the originals. He won't use them though, because he won't have a ready-made and active audience. I notice he ignored anything positive from that JG interview and latched straight onto the most negative bit, calling it 'most important'. Maybe the ignore button is the way to go.

Less than a week to go! Not so keen on what GI said about the limited research tree in the review. I like the stuff about difficulty and tanks in fletchs link. I think I'll be starting on normal.
  • Bremenacht 7 Oct 2012 01:19:13 19,415 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spekingur wrote:
    I can't deny though that I am disappointed that we are not getting the first one in new graphics.
    Nah - that means nothing to me. A reskin adds nothing.

I'd love to see Laser Squad or even Rebelstar remade though. Maybe now Firaxis have an engine, they could look at rebooting those old titles. Wouldn't mind a play-by-mail type setup on Live or PSN too. You can't always devote hours to a single MP game.
  • RedSparrows 7 Oct 2012 01:20:10 23,892 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find it somewhat ironic when people pose as discerning, reflective individuals: so much so they love a game for its complexity, and then they HATE THE NEW THING because it dares to tidy up/change a few pieces.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last