XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 17

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2012 14:06:47 44,966 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Closest thing to Necromunda on computers going. Gets my rock hard vote.

Single player is where it's at for me though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TarickStonefire 4 Oct 2012 14:31:26 3,468 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Never played the originals when they were released (I was a Mac computer user, and didn't get a console till I was about 21!) but played the first one a bit recently using Boxer and absolutely loved it. But, it was hard as nails and I lost a lot, so I'll be playing this on easy... ;)

... well, Normal, anyway. ;)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:35:10 04-10-2012

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• agparrot 4 Oct 2012 14:36:19 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Losing is part of the fun, though, and part of what makes you better next time around!

The multiplayer looked pretty good at the expo - they'd kindly upped the turn limit from the standard 90 seconds to a slightly more forgiving 2 minutes, but there were still plenty of people flustering with what to do as the time whittled away.

I hope it does feel a bit like Necromunda, LB, except this time the bloke who owns the game won't be a bastard with the tape-measure, and ALWAYS give himself HARD COVER and everyone else SOFT COVER because he always has to win.

Can't see myself really wanting to play much MP until I've been through the campaign at least once and discovered the tech tree and the alien stuff in the way it's supposed to unfold.
  • TarickStonefire 4 Oct 2012 15:03:54 3,468 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Losing is part of the fun, though, and part of what makes you better next time around!

Yeah that's a concept I've only just got the hang of, from playing FTL. I really only dabbled in the original but I spent a lot of time in the wiki learning how it worked and really wanted to get further in to try some of the psy stuff, but I lost a lot ;)

Just watched that Gamespot commentary - really looking forward to it now :)

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Oct 2012 15:09:37 26,641 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doubt I'll even touch the MP to be honest. The single player however...did I mention how hot I am for this game? HOT.
  • fletch7100 4 Oct 2012 15:31:22 7,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Launch trailer is up and first review score is in the trailer

Game informer 9.5/10
  • MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 15:45:56 2,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really want this, I like the look of it, like what i've heard about it, like what people have said about the original and enjoyed the demo (on the understanding that it was just to demonstrate how a basic level may play out anyway) but every strategy game i've bought in the past has gone mostly unplayed, even when i've really enjoyed it. I'm not sure that this will be any different in that regard so i'm unsure if it would be worth purchasing or not.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Oct 2012 15:54:00 26,641 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has it been confirmed if/when a Steam preload is likely to happen?

I need one so I can torture myself into even more of a messy frenzy.
  • agparrot 4 Oct 2012 15:58:57 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MatMan - you could perhaps spend 2.99 buy UFO: Enemy Unknown... or XCOM: UFO Defense as it is known on Steam to get a feel for whether you want to buy the new one.

Some of the mechanics have certainly changed and the graphics and probably loads of other stuff in the 18 years since it was released, but I still have it installed, from a CD version that they released to make it compatible with windows that I've not managed to break yet.

The core idea, and more importantly the core complexities of the tactical game are still brilliant to this day. I've got a game on the go at the moment where I'm just starting to train psychic soldiers, but given the new XCOM is coming out next week, I'm not sure if I've got time to finish it before I'll be plunging into that.
  • MrWonderstuff 4 Oct 2012 16:03:00 1,977 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TarickStonefire Yea, normally losing would be a real bummer, but FTL has a weird thing where I don't mind starting again. Maybe its a time thing as FTL is quite a short game to get to the last stage. XCom? Hmmm...if after plugging 15 hours in I lose - maybe it would be hard to restart. Hmm...anyway will find out on the 12th.
  • MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 16:11:46 2,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks agparrot, not a bad idea, but I feel like the "old" graphics and mechanics might not do it service and might prevent me from sticking with it, I know I should be able to ignore it but I do find it hard to. When you consider I wasn't even born until 3 months after it was originally released so i've grown up with different expectations.

I think i'll wait for a couple reviews and then either take the plunge or not.

• agparrot 4 Oct 2012 16:14:18 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    When you consider I wasn't even born until 3 months after it was originally released so i've grown up with different expectations.
    Oh. God.

I've been playing this game for longer than you have been alive?
  • jampar 4 Oct 2012 16:16:02 59 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    so excited for this. Might even book the day off. :)
  • MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 16:18:23 2,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    When you consider I wasn't even born until 3 months after it was originally released so i've grown up with different expectations.
    Oh. God.

Haha, afraid so :-P

• LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2012 16:18:39 44,966 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Oh. God.

Ditto.

This is a good thing however.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• neilka 4 Oct 2012 16:20:17 16,570 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Has it been confirmed if/when a Steam preload is likely to happen?

I need one so I can torture myself into even more of a messy frenzy.
    There will be a preload according to the 2K forums. A hypothetical naughty person could also use a VPN to unlock it on Tuesday.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Oct 2012 16:26:40 26,641 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bonza.

In no way would I ever try to do something naughty like that, though.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Oct 2012 16:26:59 11,609 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh my, is this next week? \o/

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• speed182 4 Oct 2012 16:37:13 942 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wasn't really on my radar till I played the demo at the expo, now I really can't wait to get my hands on it.

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• phAge 4 Oct 2012 16:42:30 24,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Live MP match with a 2K dude here.

I notice he's playing with a 360 controller.

EDIT: Also, looks like there is a *lot* of strategy to selecting/equipping your squad.

Edited by phAge at 16:44:21 04-10-2012
  • Rodriguez 4 Oct 2012 18:24:37 1,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    Some of the mechanics have certainly changed and the graphics and probably loads of other stuff in the 18 years since it was released....
    Whhh... What!? 18 years ago! Jeez, has it really been that long.... I usually say 'in the 90's' when referring to games like this that I'd played at that time, but when you put a figure on it... Yikes!
  • Rodriguez 4 Oct 2012 18:26:52 1,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    agparrot wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Oh. God.

Haha, afraid so :-P
    Haha!
  • Moot_Point 4 Oct 2012 19:07:51 4,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    MatMan - you could perhaps spend 2.99 buy UFO: Enemy Unknown... or XCOM: UFO Defense as it is known on Steam to get a feel for whether you want to buy the new one.

Some of the mechanics have certainly changed and the graphics and probably loads of other stuff in the 18 years since it was released, but I still have it installed, from a CD version that they released to make it compatible with windows that I've not managed to break yet.

The core idea, and more importantly the core complexities of the tactical game are still brilliant to this day. I've got a game on the go at the moment where I'm just starting to train psychic soldiers, but given the new XCOM is coming out next week, I'm not sure if I've got time to finish it before I'll be plunging into that.
    You are right!
    Just buy the original on steam for 2.99 and forget this pale imitation. The chunky graphics are what makes this game great. /micro-manages 7 bases

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• RedSparrows 4 Oct 2012 20:32:40 24,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Managing different bases was boring. I honestly, no matter how much I love the game, don't think it added much.

Edited by RedSparrows at 20:32:56 04-10-2012
  • fletch7100 4 Oct 2012 20:42:55 7,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gameplay video on IGN shows off Easter egg

Name a soldier Sid Meier and you get a colonel ranked soldier with all the unlocks. Doing this means you won't get any achievements from that playthrough
  • phAge 4 Oct 2012 21:58:37 24,447 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome. :)
  • speed182 5 Oct 2012 00:05:10 942 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently 23.39 for PC at GetGames with Elite Soldier pack DLC and a free copy of Civ V.

Edited by speed182 at 00:06:06 05-10-2012

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• fletch7100 5 Oct 2012 10:33:36 7,446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Achievement

Continental fellow

Win the game from each of the five starting locations
  • Lotos8ter 5 Oct 2012 12:06:41 2,366 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's an interative video up on Youtube, gives you some basic choices on how combat works out and the type of decisions you'll be making.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M_fLmmecU

Fiat Lux

• Moot_Point 5 Oct 2012 17:20:52 4,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Managing different bases was boring. I honestly, no matter how much I love the game, don't think it added much.
    Well it made more sense to me. Having numerous bases situated around the world allowed you to monitor the invasions around the world. also, trying to find alien bases gave extra places to go, other than just doing the downed alien craft/city invasion scenario encounters.

Apart from the multiplayer, this new x-com will get very old very quickly in my opinion.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 130 First / Last