XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 14

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Rodriguez 25 Sep 2012 19:01:00 1,083 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @agparrot

That was a good interview, it's nice to see how Firaxis are positively bubbling with enthusiasm for the series. From what I've read, seen and heard about the game so far I think they've approached the development as best they can for an older style game releasing in 2012, with a genuine appreciation for the source material and keeping a lot of the elements that are familiar to older players, like a lot of us here on EG, who have previous experience with the series.

Roll on the next few weeks, I can't wait to get stuck in and start playing and no doubt dying... a lot. :D
  • TheBrow 25 Sep 2012 19:44:08 202 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to say I enjoyed the demo; there wasnt much to it, but it was enough to make me think this will be a lot of fun.

I will say though that, based on my performance in the missions, I probably won't be making any great efforts to personalise my troops. It looks like I might generate a fair amount of 'churn' in my roster and so I should try not to get too attached to them.
  • RedSparrows 25 Sep 2012 21:34:02 21,990 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    millerlfc wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Given what we've seen of the research tree vs the emphasis on most of the content being secret at this stage, I'm very hopeful for the research side of things. And with regards to aliens, the strange thing is that XCOM works some kind of alchemy and convinces you that it's a much larger game. There were only five aliens (plus terrorists) and only five mission types in the first game, for instance.
    Yes but for XCOM within each alien race there were numerous types (soldier, medic, engineer, navigator, leader) and the terrorists themselves were pretty distinctive too. Cyberdiscs that explode and take out your men, the terrifying chryssalids...

And there was a huge amount to research. Quick check on Google reveals 36 tech for you to make, 8 types of alien ship, 8 types of alien missions, live alien for each race, dead alien for each race etc.
    None of which is very complex, so hopefully here in full/expanded, or even improved!
  • teamHAM 25 Sep 2012 22:10:58 2,745 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've seen a bit of this and like it so far, just haven't been able to find out if there is any sort of local multiplayer support for this, either split screen or hot seat or anything along those lines, or is it just online competitive multiplayer?

Haven't played any other Xcom games so apologies I don't mean to be ignorant!

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• StarchildHypocrethes 25 Sep 2012 23:40:42 25,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally got round to trying the demo.

This is going to be bloody brilliant.
  • WrongShui 25 Sep 2012 23:49:03 6,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you open the BaseGame.ini in Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown-Demo\Engine\Config you can adjust the difficulty up to +3.0, with +2.0 being the "Classic" difficulty.

Playing with +2 I ended up the the second mission with only one survivor.
  • FutileResistor 25 Sep 2012 23:54:41 1,220 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Further to my post about changing the demo's difficulty from easy to impossible.

We now have, stealth, flight, increased squad size and sectoid commanders with mind-control.

Modding the demo.
  • FutileResistor 25 Sep 2012 23:59:53 1,220 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also
    PC interface keyboard shortcuts

Now if someone finds a way to skip the tutorial and increase the number of aliens, I might actually bother to download the demo.
  • Khanivor 26 Sep 2012 01:17:21 40,359 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just download the damn thing. It's a fine tease taste of what's to come. No need to eke out weeks of play of one mission.

/Remember spending Christmas playing Alpha Centauri demo
  • SlackMaster 26 Sep 2012 07:44:29 3,132 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @revan8 Not that really. I just don't want to give my money to Microsoft at the moment as I don't like the direction they are taking the XBox in or what they have been up to recently with the dash and live.

If there is an alternative to buying on 360 I try and go for that.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• LeoliansBro 26 Sep 2012 08:17:05 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shut up and play the game you monumental penis.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 08:18:04 26-09-2012

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AaronTurner 26 Sep 2012 08:21:47 7,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wait, instead of buying the games you enjoy on xbox you intentionally ignore them? Isn't that counter intuitive? If everyone does that then it's not a wonder they don't target you more often.

Anyway, there is a quick look up on giant bomb. I have to say I can't remember these bomb levels in the original game but they don't particularly appeal to me. Aside from that it looks great.
  • jakuande 26 Sep 2012 08:42:09 192 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The RPS article about the demo is very good for anyone who felt it didn't show the new game in a good light, esp. re strategic base part: Link to RPS

I know they've streamlined the inventory system by removing ammo and afaik removing the ability to pick up stuff dropped in combat. But when my heavy in the demo acquired a rocket launcher just by getting promoted and I saw "weapon fragments" as the only thing I salvaged from a mission I was worried they'd taken this too far. Good to know that you have to stun an alien to get an intact weapon! Also you do have to manufacture stuff you bring into combat like medikits etc, I was worried they'd just use an "unlock" via research/levelling system like CoD kit.

Edited by jakuande at 08:42:59 26-09-2012
  • FutileResistor 26 Sep 2012 08:50:09 1,220 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Khanivor

I've already pre-ordered the game. It's Firaxis and X-com, after all.

The demo is crazy short of content for a 6GB download and tells me nothing that I haven't already learned from RPS articles and gameplay vidoes.

Honestly, I think it'll frustrate and annoy me to play just the tutorial (which I've already seen video of) and a very limited mission. I'll wait for the full game.

I just posted the links so that people who have already downloaded the demo can get a bit more out of it if they want.
  • FutileResistor 26 Sep 2012 08:59:18 1,220 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    So I've seen a bit of this and like it so far, just haven't been able to find out if there is any sort of local multiplayer support for this, either split screen or hot seat or anything along those lines, or is it just online competitive multiplayer?

Multiplayer is only online or LAN one-vs-one.

Local hotseat versus could have been implemented but that would require players leaving the room or closing their eyes on the opponent's turn. For the same reason split-screen versus doesn't make sense.

Local co-op? Just pass the controller to control separate squad members.

Edited by FutileResistor at 11:17:57 26-09-2012
  • WrongShui 26 Sep 2012 10:04:43 6,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We used to control a soldier each in the original and always ended up huddled round the UFO since we had no idea how to get in the fucking thing.

Wasn't untill one of us accidentally clicked inside it that we got to finish a mission.
  • 1Dgaf 26 Sep 2012 14:40:08 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    @revan8 Not that really. I just don't want to give my money to Microsoft at the moment as I don't like the direction they are taking the XBox in or what they have been up to recently with the dash and live.

If there is an alternative to buying on 360 I try and go for that.
    Good for you.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Scimarad 26 Sep 2012 17:56:25 8,530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jakuande

It depresses me that people might be put off the game by that demo. Are people that daft that they don't know a tutorial when they see one?

If anything, it made my anticipation level go through the roof!
  • Trafford 27 Sep 2012 19:27:32 5,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fucking hell, I am excited for this game.
    Never played the originals, but this looks right up my street.
    Just watched the Base preview on Steam which secured my pre order.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Sep 2012 14:59:48 3,788 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought this was supposed to be a cheaper title, but it's still 38 at Amazon, ShopTo etc. Is 38 'budget' now?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• LeoliansBro 28 Sep 2012 15:07:25 43,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Full price AAA game isn't it?

I am BOUNCING with anticipation for this game. Slowest fortnight of my life coming up :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Trafford 28 Sep 2012 15:23:34 5,611 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Playing the demo, I was impressed with the soundtrack. Looked it up and it's the guy who did the last DX.
  • RedSparrows 28 Sep 2012 15:58:25 21,990 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If it's as good as it *should* be, full price is value.
  • thelzdking 30 Sep 2012 17:53:48 4,310 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I want this game now. NOW!
  • AaronTurner 30 Sep 2012 18:09:28 7,591 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought this game was coming out on Friday but am I right in saying its actually a week on Friday?

If so... tits.

Edited by AaronTurner at 18:09:43 30-09-2012
  • Derblington 30 Sep 2012 18:11:37 21,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    12th.
  • agparrot 30 Sep 2012 19:26:06 11,903 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tried to play the demo at the expo, but realising it was a hand-holding thing I lost patience very quickly because it shows you where you have to make your men run to specifically, and I couln't finish the demo because I really wanted to just play some of the game rather than be led through it. I did go back to it to have another go on the following day, and made it a bit further through, but the demo is clearly just trying to introduce you to as many of the mechanics as it can in a short space of time. I can understand that this is going to be important to the people who (spit) haven't played a turn-based XCom before.

This is not a complaint about the game, however, because I watched a great deal of the multiplayer, and it looks really really good - I was fortunate not to have any unknown units spoiled for me, and it really did look like a digital incarnation of a tabletop game. It was a weird thing to spectate because you could see both screens right next to each other, but the mechanics look very interesting.

The PC version looks lovely, and the 360 version also looks really slick - it seemed very smooth, and while there were obviously some concessions in the super-showy-graphicy department, it was very easy on the eye, and using a controller instead of a mouse, as I still do when playing the original UFO, actually seems to have been implemented really well. In fact the criticisms of the controls seemed to be more pointed at the PC version, where despite what Firaxis have been saying about it having a unique UI and control scheme, some people felt might have still been a little console-esque.

Regardless of all that, I am now even more excited about it than I was before, and it is indeed going to be a pretty long fortnight waiting for it.
  • thelzdking 30 Sep 2012 19:38:56 4,310 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    12th.
    But I want it now.
  • Donel 30 Sep 2012 19:51:58 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Downloading the demo on steam....
  • spamdangled 30 Sep 2012 20:47:09 27,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:

Cant see it havinglocal or split-screen. Wouldnt be compatible with all the line of sight stuff.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 126 First / Last