XCOM: enemy unknown (no not that one, not that one either) Page 81

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 14:23:20
    Patch is up. 4mb on xbox.
  • L_Franko Moderator 9 Nov 2012 14:29:34 9,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome. I shall be grabbing that later on.
  • PenguinJim 9 Nov 2012 15:39:00 6,020 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    About 28MB on PC.

Barry Fromeastender's panic caused Kaz Hirai's death on only his first mission out. You could practically hear the death shriek of "ridge racerrrrr...".

Also, Sigourney Weaver doesn't have a head. :(

Really rather fun, all this - I'm only playing on Classic, but it's quite challenging. :)
  • L_Franko Moderator 9 Nov 2012 15:43:42 9,697 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only on Classic? I'd say that is all the challenge you'll need. Currently on my 6th game attempt of Classic.

Edited by L_Franko at 15:44:07 09-11-2012
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 18:00:12
    Wow really stressful when you realised you have totally wasted 90 mins of your life assaulting a base and have no way to complete it with your save game files. Really annoyed of my wasted time.
  • Moot_Point 9 Nov 2012 18:04:46 4,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @revan8 Are you playing on ironman? I would advise against it initially.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 18:07:24
    No normal but my save games not spaced well.

Also the game goes from 6 ish missions that are easy to a base with shot loads of powerful enemies. Waste of my time.
  • thelzdking 9 Nov 2012 18:21:03 4,413 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I paid 29.99 for my PC copy ;_;

First time I've paid RRP for a game since San Andreas.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 19:31:46
    Somehow managed to take the base I thought was impossible, did most of it with o'neil and teal'c after losing 4 soldiers early. :) o'neil now ten missions deep with 27 kills.

Edited by revan8 at 19:32:25 09-11-2012
  • Moot_Point 9 Nov 2012 19:48:04 4,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @revan8 In the games I have played, I tend to leave assaulting the base until the panic levels are relatively high. This should take 2-3 months if you are lucky and careful where you put your satellites up. Because the panic reduction for an alien base is world wide.

Edited by Moot_Point at 19:48:39 09-11-2012

================================================================================

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 22:04:05
    Oooh getting pretty hard now, losing people most missions :( Samantha the beast carter keeping it all together though.
    Have not really flanked anyone yet as find the movement is minimum and seem to kill everything in their cover anyway?? I feel if I try and flank all it will do is allow the aliens more shots on my team.

Quick question, is it really important to capture aliens? I've captured the two the story asked for but no more, it is a risky business.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:34:03
    revan8 wrote:
    Quick question, is it really important to capture aliens? I've captured the two the story asked for but no more, it is a risky business.
    Not essential no, but it's worth trying to capture at least 1 of each type of enemy you encounter as you can research / interrogate each of them for bonus research / credit on research etc.

It can be somewhat hazardous to your squads health though....
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:36:56
    thanks, yeah i tried to capture a muton, it went wrong.
    each time you capture the same type does it improve bonuses on that type? only captured insectiod and the shard one, no skinny man etc yet.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:41:04
    Only need 1 of each type, any extras you get are bonuses (you get the weapons the aliens use if you capture them if you hadn't already noticed).

I try to capture as many Thin Men as possible early doors as you can stock up on Light Plasma Rifles early in the game thus negating the need to research Laser Rifles. It's easier said than done though.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:51:36
    Do you? I not seen any alien weapons? I've had to research them all.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:59:41
    You have to research the alien weapons themselves but you can then use them assuming you have a few spares (Sectoids give you Plasma Pistols to research and then use, Floaters and Thin Men Light Plasma Rifles etc etc).

It's certainly a viable tactic if you can stock up on a number of pistols/rifles early-ish but you'll need to get your Heavy and Sniper laser weapons irrespective as you can't get plasma sniper rifles as drops, and the plasma blasters only show up quite late in the game.

Edited by Ironlungs76 at 09:01:59 10-11-2012
  • Moot_Point 10 Nov 2012 09:32:23 4,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Autopsy Rewards.

Sectoid: Craft - Uplink Targeting Mod.
    Thin Man: Foundry - Improved Medikit.
    Floater: Craft - Defence Matrix.
    Muton: Foundry - Ammo Conservation.
    Chryssalid: Soldier Weapon - Chitin Plating.
    Drone: Foundry - Drone Capture.
    Cyberdisc: Craft - UFO Tracking.
    Sectoid Commander: Facility - Psionic Lab
    Beserker: Soldier Weapon - Combat Stims.
    Heavy Floater: Foundry - Advanced Repair.
    Muton Elite: Tech Credit - Plasma Weaponry.
    Sectopod: Foundry - Advanced Construction.
    Ethereal: Solider Weapon - Mind Shield.

Interrogation Rewards.

Sectoid: Beam Weapons Research Credit.
    Sectoid Commander: Psionics Lab Facility - Psionic Research Credit.
    Thin Man: UFO Technology Research Credit.
    Floater : Basic Armour Research Credit.
    Heavy Floater: Flight Technology Research Credit.
    Beserker: All Armour Research Credit.
    Muton: Plasma Weaponry Research Credit.
    Muton Elite: Weapons Technology Research Credit.
    Ethereal: All Technology Research Credit.

Most of these reduce research times from slow/moderate to fast.

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:59:12 10-11-2012

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 13:07:49
    Yeah I have seen a couple. Only ones that piss me off is a few times I have been behind a massive wall and still magically the aliens can shoot and hit my soldier.
  • LeoliansBro 10 Nov 2012 14:24:29 44,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Came through my first Classic Cyberdisc, three soldiers down made it expensive though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 10 November 2012 18:10:48
    Managed to capture a floater, a skinny man and a muton in the last three missions :)
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Nov 2012 18:26:29 17,401 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My classic game has taken a rather nasty turn. I really need another body on the ground but because of my efforts to get enough satellite coverage I cannot afford the school and I have just been on a mission with two cyberdiscs and about 12 of those zombie making beasts. I was just about holding my own and then the zombies have just taken out two of my soldiers. With just one extra team member I reckon I could have coped.

Also, I have so little money to buy extra stuff, this despite being in Africa! I'm not really that sure what I could have done any differently to improve things either.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Bremenacht 10 Nov 2012 23:31:54 19,684 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    You have to research the alien weapons themselves but you can then use them assuming you have a few spares (Sectoids give you Plasma Pistols to research and then use, Floaters and Thin Men Light Plasma Rifles etc etc).

It's certainly a viable tactic if you can stock up on a number of pistols/rifles early-ish but you'll need to get your Heavy and Sniper laser weapons irrespective as you can't get plasma sniper rifles as drops, and the plasma blasters only show up quite late in the game.
    I've done this and failed. Collected 5 or 6 plasma pistols and rifles, took an age researching them (mutons had appeared and I couldn't afford not to carry grenades or vests) and when I went to equip them - nothing. Everything I'd collected counted for nothing.

That game is somehow still going, but I'm now using shivs a lot. Having suffered a few piss-take missions where just a couple of thin men wipe out my top troops, I'm finding shivs rather useful for supporting the inevitable all-rookie squads, who would otherwise panic and kill each other at the sight of a muton.

Bugs are infuriating though. The teleport one is bad enough, but the domino effect is mission-killing at CI level. The CI I sacked the other night had the fucking lot, killing the game in just 3 awful missions. Sniping across the map; through the ground; every shot a one-shot kill etc. The final piss-take was another horror terror mission, where the game put about half the civvies within my LoS, and then dominoed 10 bastard Chryssalids on the Alien turn, topped off with Floaters. The Chryssalids only got two troops though, as the other troops busily shooting eachother before the fucking Sectopod teleported in. The last guy stopped panicking long enough to finish himself and his bleeding-out chum with a grenade. "You always were an asshole, Gorman!"

Oh well. So, assuming this game completes it's journey to a pear-shape soon, I'll be looking to get alloy shivs up as early as possible, and look to get satellites over as many continents as possible, in the hope of getting as many 'easy' early missions as possible, with the aim of getting experienced troops early and a more grey stuff to sell. Feel free to tell me if that won't work either!
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 07:33:29
    @Bremenacht

I know that feeling of completely getting the rug pulled out from under you. Had it happen yesterday in what was a pretty flawless CI game up until that point until 2 missions on the trot at the end of June quickly turned a game of my utter domination into a quit/restart scenario. Stupid RNG bullshit!

Also, did the recent patch make SHIV's useful now? I'm tempted to do an Asia start game using (mainly) just SHIV's to see if they work properly now.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 07:43:44
    Ci?
    Rng?
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 07:44:39
    Oh, sorry :)

Classic Ironman
    Random Number Generator
  • Deleted user 11 November 2012 08:38:28
    :)

this game is so good though, always feel like i am playing catch up though.

Is it really bad ignoring threats? I have only done it twice, once when a large UFO was spotted but the only interceptor in range was the basic model and one abduction where most of my officers were injured. Thankfully I now have two of my own UFO type fighters on order (where to put them!?)

So I will have two UFO type and 5 interceptors. 6 satellites and psychic research facility next when get 100 more quid. I think I can build this early as captured a commander early (which proves very hard) and then it said priority like it was a story objective.
  • mur07 11 Nov 2012 13:46:47 135 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Near the end (I think) of my first run on normal (non IM) and cheated a few reloads after one particularly brutal mission (3 Sectopods, two Discs and eight Elite Mutons on a Barge .

All squad members named after writers, and I swear the game somehow knows.

Col JG "Axle" Ballard was killed by an exploding car (I couldn't believe it) while Maj William "Gunner" Burroughs was mind controlled (again) and had to be laid to rest by Iain "Slot" Banks. I've still got Col Salman "Eagle" Rushdie... but for how long?

I replayed the original Xcom a few months back in preparation for what I thought would be a huge disappointment. So wrong.

They've absolutely nailed what makes Xcom such a classic, and while it can be quite buggy and annoying, it's going on the never trade shelf, along with the Orange Box and RUSE.

Dreading Classic Ironman.

Edited by mur07 at 13:48:11 11-11-2012
  • Bremenacht 11 Nov 2012 13:56:27 19,684 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    @Bremenacht

I know that feeling of completely getting the rug pulled out from under you. Had it happen yesterday in what was a pretty flawless CI game up until that point until 2 missions on the trot at the end of June quickly turned a game of my utter domination into a quit/restart scenario. Stupid RNG bullshit!

Also, did the recent patch make SHIV's useful now? I'm tempted to do an Asia start game using (mainly) just SHIV's to see if they work properly now.
    Ohh it's so annoying. What really rubbed it in was that the game claimed in my stats that I'd made 48% of my shots! No way!

Dunno about the patch - I've not read anything other than what I've read in here. I'm using them either as plasma-sponges, or to prop up fragile rookies. It'll probably turn out to be another poor idea, but I do find it very satisfying when you send one crashing through a supermarket door and have it pulverise a muton.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last