Assassins's Creed III Page 28

• Page

of 30 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 08:58:11
    I am only assuming here but wouldn't the locals in places like Boston speak with a English accent and not sound like they have been in America for 600 years?
  • Tuffty 20 Feb 2013 09:12:09 1,397 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In one of those 'oh that's badass' moments, I was fighting a group of guards in Boston as it was raining. With two guards left one took a swing at me and I countered, throwing him face first into a wall and he's left on the ground. I kill the remaining guard and then pick up his musket. As the other guard is getting up, I make Connor turn, point the musket down and shoot. I then just dropped the musket and walked away...

On Chapter 7 and it's good. The story has the same issues as 2/Brotherhood/Revelations in that the supporting characters, the famous icons of history, aren't especially well defined and they just throw so many at you. It's hard to keep track when they're just introduced once and then mentioned in casual conversation from that point on that it makes me go 'wait..who...?' half the time. Doesn't help that I know next to nothing about the American revolution. Maybe I should read the database entries more!
  • timetraveler 21 Feb 2013 06:53:38 61 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks for advices. AC2 won as I see ;) So I'll start with AC2 and if I'll like it - I'll try 3rd.
  • Scimarad 2 Mar 2013 15:42:38 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just picked this up cheap and (probably thanks to all criticism) have been very pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it is. I'll never understand why people were bitching about playing Haytham as he's a really interesting character. Really sorry to be leaving him behind...

Remind me why the Assassins are the good guys and the Templars are bad guys again? I was almost expecting Desmond to say "Hold on, he seemed like a pretty nice guy!" but no it was almost "OMG I'M RELATED TO SATAN!!!YOU GUYS JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND ME!!"
  • Whizzo 2 Mar 2013 15:50:28 42,767 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think anyone was complaining about playing as Haytham it's just that it never really lets you do anything until you stop playing him due to it being the most boring and long tutorial in gaming history.

I'll be really surprised if you could find someone who found Connor a better character, he's so dull he makes Desmond look like the world's most interesting person.

As for Templars versus Assassins, they seem to be pretty much as bad as each other, there's no good guys in this universe.

Edited by Whizzo at 15:51:33 02-03-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Scimarad 2 Mar 2013 16:04:09 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suppose it could be considered boring because you can't really do much other than follow the plot or wander around but I can't say I found it dull. Of course, I was forewarned so that probably had a lot to do with it; I just took my time and enjoyed it.
  • Anthony_UK 5 Mar 2013 02:17:00 2,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Such a strange game, I'm around sequence 5 and only now am I feeling like the stabilizers are being taken off some 5 or more hours in.

Other than the stupidly long tutorial at the beginning. What is frustrating is that they've created entirely new mechanics and elements such as the naval battles which are just outstanding, while leaving some of the other elements extremely buggy or just unchanged.

The notoriety system is ok, but it's gone unchanged since the original game and feels a little dated. The combat system also while extremely satisfying makes you borderline invincible, even taking on 10 or more never seems to be much of a challenge, leaving the various methods of hiding yourself more than a little pointless.

There's an absolutely amazing game dying to get out and it might yet appear, but at the moment it all feels a bit of a mess.

That said, Assassins Creed 4 on the new consoles could be amazing! I just hope that once jaw dropping engine, which is starting to look a little creaky is improved and we don't just get some higher res textures
  • Raiko101 5 Mar 2013 06:05:54 5,550 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The best thing about this game are the side missions. Specifically the Assassination contracts, Liberation missions and Naval battles. No idea why i'm delivering letters to people like a paperboy when you don't even get paid well for it.

I'd hunt animals for those item lists, but it gets old fast. It's the same old 'slightly-slow' timed events over and over. Why was it ever put in the game?

I'm still not making any progress with crafting and trading either. I can't make much and it seems quicker and more enjoyable to just pick-pocket and kill people.

Then you've got assassin's you can go send on missions. It's alright if you need money, but again there's no sense of accomplishment and no real goal to aim for.

They've really put too much into this game and I fear they've already done it with AC4.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Mar 2013 08:56:35 3,100 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Such a strange game, I'm around sequence 5 and only now am I feeling like the stabilizers are being taken off some 5 or more hours in.
    I believe its around Sequence 6 that the game fully opens up and lets you do your own thing.

Pretty sure i got up to Sequence 8 before i put it on the backburner a couple of months back.....with Tomb Raider out now though, its going to be a while before i get back to it!

"Look at banner Michael!"

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 09:12:29 55,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnt do any of the crafting missions and very few of any other side missions, which is a rarity for me as I usually do everything bar the 'collect 100 [items]'.

I just didnt enjoy the environments, whereas before I would do side missions while zig-zagging across a city while travelling to main missions. Before you would know the city like the back of your hand, whereas the towns in AC3 arent particularly great and the woodland environment is just random and annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Scimarad 6 Mar 2013 13:02:51 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God, this is so mind-numbingly fucking dull, isn't it? I think I made a big mistake by playing the Haytham bit and then saving and turning it off before waiting a few days to start the Connor bit.

After being surprised by the apparently now extremely evil and sadistic Charles Lee, utterly enthralled by the so very exciting game of hide and seek I'm now completely failing to hunt animalzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, dropped off for a second there. Please tell me it gets more interesting VERY soon...

Edited by Scimarad at 13:03:12 06-03-2013
  • Raiko101 6 Mar 2013 13:34:16 5,550 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sequence 7 is alright, even if it doesn't feel like an Ass Creed game. It feels as if the game is about to kick up a gear. However Sequence 8 and 9 were quite dull. The 9th is meant to be a bit of a shocker, but I stopped caring long ago lol.

• Ultrasoundwave 11 Mar 2013 09:34:20 3,100 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I believe its around Sequence 6 that the game fully opens up and lets you do your own thing.

Pretty sure i got up to Sequence 8 before i put it on the backburner a couple of months back.
    It appears i got ahead of myself - pulled this off the backburner last night and i got up to the start of sequence 7.

The last mission i did was that awful one riding around the frontier on a horse with a guy on the back giving directions - this game really is hit and miss.

Will get stuck into sequence 7 tonight, really hoping it picks up from here.....

• DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 10:20:39 22,077 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just started playing this, and was expecting the worst, but I'm bloody loving it :) Everything I wanted from a new Assassin's Creed game. I wasn't totally sold on the changes to the controls (especially combat), but I've grown accustomed to them and feel they provided a lot more flexibility.

I'm only up to Sequence 3 so far. I avoided this thread a bit so didn't get the fairly obvious thing spoiled, thankfully! Even that article EG did on it just had me intrigued, without giving it away, so that was a great surprise. Probably more in store too. Good news seems to be I'm at the part no-one else seems to enjoy, so later on will probably blow my socks off!

One thing I have to ask - Is it worth buying upgraded swords or stuff early on? I assume that money and weapons are inherited by Conner, but maybe it just dies/leaves with Haytham, whatever it is that happens to him. If someone could answer that I'll be eternally grateful :) Then I'll leave this thread until I'm done to avoid spoilage.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:24:02 11-03-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:27:35 55,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More than any other AC game, its absolutely not worth buying any weapons or equipment.

I bought an axe towards the end out of morbid curiosity but you can kill everything quite easily with the weapons you start with.

One annoying thing, though, is that with guns and the like, because it takes so long to reload, disarming guards is always worth it so much so that its insane that they didnt include a 'drop' command, leaving you having to exit the action stance to get rid of a spent musket.

He totally called it

• DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 10:28:51 22,077 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will I still get to keep until cash later though? For the Homestead or whatever it's called. Or just having a number that's large so I can brag to the orphans that I'm loaded.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:29:27 11-03-2013

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:31:40 55,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from possibly your boat, there is nothing in this game worth spending your money on.

YMMV, obviously. I did all the upgrading to the towns and whatnot in the ezio games but I just couldnt be arsed to do all the homestead stuff in this.

He totally called it

• DFawkes 11 Mar 2013 10:37:45 22,077 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just googled it, you do lose everything.That's cool, as you say there's nothing you have to spend money on. I still will though, as the other swords look nice and shiny :) Wish I had't hunted the chests down early though.

Cheers nick, you're a star. And with that, I'm gone.
    /hides in haycart

Edited by DFawkes at 10:38:12 11-03-2013

• Raiko101 11 Mar 2013 22:47:28 5,550 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Speaking of Homestead missions, has anybody got a clue as to how to progress and develop the homestead? I've completed every mission that has popped up, but have just 3 different groups of settlers. I can make next to nothing as I require other kinds of settlers or more people of the same trade.

• elvenscroll 11 Mar 2013 23:11:18 1,344 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Speaking of Homestead missions, has anybody got a clue as to how to progress and develop the homestead? I've completed every mission that has popped up, but have just 3 different groups of settlers. I can make next to nothing as I require other kinds of settlers or more people of the same trade.
    From what I remember more homestead missions open up as the game progresses. You might fin the odd mission dotted around the frontier/towns too. Complete them as they appear and the narrative open up new trade options.

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• Scimarad 12 Mar 2013 08:46:19 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DFawkes

I'd strongly suggest that you continue playing when the Haytham section ends. I think part of the reason I lost interest was that I stopped at that point and when I picked up with Connor a few days later it was mind-numbingly dull and I'd lost my familiarity with the controls. I suspect if you carry straight on you might retain your enthusiasm.
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2013 09:33:29 55,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was a bit of a misstep to have a bold, daring and exciting opening with a fully skilled assassin, then have the whole thing come to a crashing halt while you fuck around skinning rabbits and leaning how to jump out of a tree.

He totally called it

• M83J01P97 12 Mar 2013 10:34:57 6,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It was a bit of a misstep to have a bold, daring and exciting opening with a fully skilled assassin, then have the whole thing come to a crashing halt while you fuck around skinning rabbits and leaning how to jump out of a tree.
    I didn't hate AC3 at all, but I completely agree with this. I can see why they wanted you to play as Haytham for so long to give the games villain more impact and depth... but in retrospect I think they should have started with Connor and kept Haytham as a none playable character. They also need to learn how little we care about the modern day sections now a days...
  • Scimarad 12 Mar 2013 10:54:41 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm forcing myself to stick with it and I am finding stuff to enjoy. The Aquila bit was awesome and it would have been so much more awesome if I hadn't known about it in advance. It was quite nice to do that thing with Desmond on the skyscraper in Manhattan. I just wish there was more present day stuff, even with Desmond being a total dick.
  • Scimarad 13 Mar 2013 13:26:24 8,501 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is a really weird game sometimes; I was quite enjoying blowing up tea and following smugglers so I could quietly knife 'em in a back alley but then I get to the end and the French/Canadian cook goes completely mad and starts belligerently picking fights with soldiers who are basically minding their own business!

So rather than, I don't know, having a word with him about maybe not being suicidal, holding him back until he calms down a bit or just slipping away inconspicuously you are supposed to follow him around and stop him dying as he picks fight after fight. What The Fuck?

It wasn't especially hard but it utterly fucking stupid...

Edited by Scimarad at 13:26:56 13-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Mar 2013 13:32:24 3,100 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got to the part last night where Connor gets thrown into jail.

Any interesting twist and its quite different to play the game without any of the assassins toys.

I think i'm still on sequence 8 (not sure how sequences there are all together) but i'm really hoping the game opens up later on and lets you explore a bit.

I was quite annoyed with the assassination of Pitcairn too - it was impossible to assassinate him quietly. Way too many guards around him and very difficult to stay hidden.

The game had a solid start with Haytham, its now dragging in the middle with Connor. I really hope it picks up soon!

• Raiko101 13 Mar 2013 16:48:49 5,550 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @elvenscroll Well i'm on sequence 10 now, so I guess they're just not going to show up. :(

• Ultrasoundwave 15 Mar 2013 08:43:59 3,100 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got about halfway through Sequence 9 last night and i'm starting to enjoy the game again.

The world has opened up, the game looks even better somehow when there is snow everywhere and the Naval Warfare missions are still fantastic.

Quite curious how far i've got to go?, how many sequences are there all together?

• nickthegun 15 Mar 2013 09:31:00 55,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youre about 3/4 of the way through the story, give or take.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:31:09 15-03-2013

He totally called it

• Anthony_UK 17 Mar 2013 22:33:07 2,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Got to the part last night where Connor gets thrown into jail.

Any interesting twist and its quite different to play the game without any of the assassins toys.

I think i'm still on sequence 8 (not sure how sequences there are all together) but i'm really hoping the game opens up later on and lets you explore a bit.

I was quite annoyed with the assassination of Pitcairn too - it was impossible to assassinate him quietly. Way too many guards around him and very difficult to stay hidden.

The game had a solid start with Haytham, its now dragging in the middle with Connor. I really hope it picks up soon!

I'm starting to love this big monster of a game warts and all the further I get into it. Brotherhood is my current favourite, starting sequence 8 now and if it carries on at this pace it well could my favourite Assassins Creed.

Also the mission you mentioned above can be done stealthily without killing anyone but him. That's another thing I'm loving so far, that most missions seem to give you the optional objective of completing objectives undetected which may not be so easy on the first attempt encouraging you to experiment
  • Page

of 30 First / Last