Brian Cox: A Night with the Stars / Stargazing Live

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • HoriZon 18 Dec 2011 21:19:08 13,498 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On right now and like much of the audience it's going right over my feeble mind, love to listen to him talk though.

BBC HD or BBC2.

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• heyyo 18 Dec 2011 21:21:54 14,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wish he'd stop trying to be funny
  • heyyo 18 Dec 2011 21:23:01 14,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HARMONIC ANALYSIS LOLOLOLOL
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Dec 2011 21:31:59 7,836 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He is a much better lecturer than the ones I had at uni. Although he is talking about relatively simple Physics / Chemistry.

Why do I get the impression something is about to go pop?
  • Bremenacht 17 Jan 2012 22:35:10 17,615 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone watch the star-gazing programme? I thought it was rather good. Coxy and Dara seemed to be a very awkward pair of presenters last time around, but they seem better this time.

It's like Springwatch for sky-watchers, with no obvious Humble Badger equivalent.
  • boo 17 Jan 2012 23:18:56 11,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caught Monday's and recorded tonight's, although Mrs Boo insisted I watch the first couple of minutes when I got in...

Brian Cox (in reference to a question about 'Why was the flag in the moon footage flapping?') : "Anybody who thinks we didn't go to the moon, turn over to ITV now. I don't want you!"

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 17 Jan 2012 23:20:04 11,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Love the prog btw. Mrs Boo and I are jonesing for a telescope now.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Lukus 17 Jan 2012 23:22:26 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Anyone watch the star-gazing programme? I thought it was rather good. Coxy and Dara seemed to be a very awkward pair of presenters last time around, but they seem better this time.

It's like Springwatch for sky-watchers, with no obvious Humble Badger equivalent.
    Yeah, it's good. Nicely packaged bite size pieces of information.

The after show show was weird though, everyone sitting around drinking wine. It seemed a bit wrong. And why do people insist on letting Jon Culshaw on TV to do impressions. He's awful. I'm a better impersonator than him. I'm not even kidding.

Paintings & Photographs

• X201 18 Jan 2012 10:01:25 15,157 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boo wrote:

Brian Cox (in reference to a question about 'Why was the flag in the moon footage flapping?') : "Anybody who thinks we didn't go to the moon, turn over to ITV now. I don't want you!"
    Followed by...

At the start of a discussion about UFOs

"Now if you think this is a picture of a UFO you should have already turned over to Celebrity Big Brother"

Followed at the end of the film by Dara O'Briain saying...

"One quick apology on behalf of my colleague here, Celebrity Big Brother doesn't start until 9:00pm, He's not a professor of everything."
  • L_Franko Moderator 18 Jan 2012 10:17:46 9,694 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just remembered I missed this!
    Is it on iPlayer at the moment?
  • X201 18 Jan 2012 10:27:31 15,157 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    Just remembered I missed this!
    Is it on iPlayer at the moment?
    Yep
  • Ka-blamo 18 Jan 2012 10:38:19 7,295 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:
    To answer why the flag is flapping(not that anyone asked), it's never flapping on its own with no-one around, it's only when an astronaut is screwing the flag into ground, or holding it.

If you can find footage of it flapping on it's own, we'll talk :)
  • President_Weasel 18 Jan 2012 11:29:47 8,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    boo wrote:
    To answer why the flag is flapping(not that anyone asked), it's never flapping on its own with no-one around, it's only when an astronaut is screwing the flag into ground, or holding it.

If you can find footage of it flapping on it's own, we'll talk :)
    and even then it's in low gravity with almost no atmosphere, meaning once you've imparted some momentum into it it's likely to keep flapping for quite some time.

You'll never persuade conspiracy theorists they're wrong though, like with 9/11 nutjobs these lunatics (ha ha did you see what I did there) have too much of their self-image wrapped up in being one of the select few who "know the real truth".
    It's far easier for them to continue to believe than to accept they've been a bit of a tit for the last few years, and it's a self-reinforcing thing.
    (I'm not going to say anything Dawkins-esque about parallels with religion at this juncture).

Here he is being angry about it in a car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXuQ9Dg2gE

Edited by President_Weasel at 11:32:17 18-01-2012
  • urban 18 Jan 2012 12:03:21 10,926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was a genuinely funny and interesting program tbh!
  • Inertia 18 Jan 2012 12:26:28 676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's too pell mell and unfocused for my liking. But then I had just finished listening to an old Reith lecture by Oppenheimer which was very enlightening, intelligent and well articulated. Actually it goes a long way in showing the decline of public intellectuals in the media. I do love the 50's American accent, Intelligent and refined but not as abrasive as the posh English accent.

These lectures are on iTunes definitely worth a listen.

Other highlights include J.K.Galbraith and Bertrand Russell.
  • Lukus 18 Jan 2012 12:28:51 19,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stealth 'I've just listened to a lecture by Oppenheimer' post.

Paintings & Photographs

• JuanKerr 18 Jan 2012 12:33:10 36,207 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you mean 'stealth 'I'm a bit of a prick' post'.

Edited by JuanKerr at 12:33:40 18-01-2012
  • Deleted user 18 January 2012 13:47:29
    urban wrote:
    I thought it was a genuinely funny and interesting program tbh!
    Was very good. It was an entertaining lecture. I liked how some of the celebs had the same kind of expressions as kids being shown a magic show.

There was an equally entertaining christmas lecture a couple of years ago about "The order and chaos of probability."

Loved that too. The audience that time actually was kids.
  • FogHeart 18 Jan 2012 14:55:28 944 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dude, there have been Christmas Lectures arranged by the Royal Society for kids for decades. They just seem to change channels every year. Brian just did an 'adult celeb' version this year too.

Edited by FogHeart at 14:56:53 18-01-2012
  • Deleted user 18 January 2012 14:58:49
    FogHeart wrote:
    Dude, there have been Christmas Lectures arranged by the Royal Society for kids for decades.
    I know they do.
  • Rhythm 18 Jan 2012 15:02:29 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love the idea of a week devoted to stargazing like this but fucking hell I cannot stand that cunt Cox. Smug fuck through and through, he's even annoying as hell on the radio (Infinite Monkey Cage would be quite good if not for his presence). The fact that Jon Culshaw has been on the show too makes me want to go on a stabbing frenzy around the theme of "ways the BBC wastes license money"
  • localnotail 18 Jan 2012 15:30:11 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    fucking hell I cannot stand that cunt Cox
    Is this a Roses thing? ;)

I don't think he's d:reamy or anything, but I've never got a smug vibe off him, he's like Wallace's smarter little brother.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• boo 18 Jan 2012 15:35:38 11,706 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's ok.
    Funniest thing about the 30 minute chat prog that they've run for the last couple of nights after the main show, is the guy (presumably from the Macclesfield Astronomy club), with the scarf who's gradually been worming his way into the centre of the picture, right next to the big TV. He's a gurning idiot, but he's hell-bent on getting maximum screen time!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Rhythm 18 Jan 2012 15:42:05 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    fucking hell I cannot stand that cunt Cox
    Is this a Roses thing? ;)
    I don't even know what that means so I'll say no, it's not a Roses thing

/wonders what Cox has to do with chocolate
  • Deleted user 18 January 2012 15:47:22
    I thought she was on about The Stone Roses, also from Manchester.
    i.e. "Is this a Manchester thing?"
  • localnotail 18 Jan 2012 15:50:35 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Honestly? Has the age-old War betwixt the Houses of York and Lancaster been forgotten?

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• CharlieStCloud 18 Jan 2012 15:52:00 5,122 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How does Cox comes across as someone who is 'smug through and through'...?

Smug is the last word I think of when I watch him on TV.
  • Inertia 18 Jan 2012 16:45:33 676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That cheesy grin probably riles some people. He normally annoys me but at least he did say last night when some of the sofa pundits were talking bollocks that nobody really knows what it's like to go into a black hole and it is still only mainly theoretical; at the moment.

The thing that annoys me about him is he is a good communicator, in a general way, but persists to always have a comedian by his side and tends to pander to making jokes and things more entertaining but in a bland way.

"Science isn't everything. But science is very beautiful."

- Oppenheimer.

{that's for Juan Kerr] x
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous