The Last of Us Page 5

• Page

of 82 First / Last

• cianchristopher 14 Dec 2011 15:17:51 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Could it be ass mushrooms?
  • Deleted user 14 December 2011 15:22:40
    Anyone else wanting the game to be like the early Silent Hills or Resi Evils?
  • skuzzbag 14 Dec 2011 15:31:45 5,486 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like it to not contain other human NPCs that have no regard for their own safety and are essentially expendable fodder for the sake of it.
  • King_Edward 14 Dec 2011 16:59:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Could it be ass mushrooms?
    I hope so. Raises so many questions about how that guy in the trailer got it on his face.
  • SomaticSense 14 Dec 2011 19:11:28 7,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    But then you can't win. If you're going to label every enemy type with any kind of infection as a "zombie" and then complain about too many games using zombies as an enemy type it will be a perpetual cycle of your own making.

It's based on a parasitic fungus. They run but we don't know anything else about their behaviour.
    Oh come off it. Gaming lasted god knows how many years without oversaturation of zombies (or zombie style enemies, if you must) before. Yet the last few years alone have been swamped with zombies, or zombie 'offshoots'.

'Fungal infection?' Wow, what imagination! They clearly aren't zombies then, even though they look and act exactly like them. "Nah, he's not a soldier. He just happens to be a petrol station attendant wearing camo and clutching an AK47".

It must be the modern day equivalent of the post-Star Wars space shooter from the 70's and early 80's. The idea pot has run dry and is just waiting for the next 'big thing' to take inspiration from.
  • King_Edward 14 Dec 2011 19:51:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They don't look or act like zombies though. I don't know what you're angry about.
  • Derblington 14 Dec 2011 20:24:52 20,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Oh come off it. Gaming lasted god knows how many years without oversaturation of zombies (or zombie style enemies, if you must) before. Yet the last few years alone have been swamped with zombies, or zombie 'offshoots'.

'Fungal infection?' Wow, what imagination! They clearly aren't zombies then, even though they look and act exactly like them. "Nah, he's not a soldier. He just happens to be a petrol station attendant wearing camo and clutching an AK47".

It must be the modern day equivalent of the post-Star Wars space shooter from the 70's and early 80's. The idea pot has run dry and is just waiting for the next 'big thing' to take inspiration from.
    Come off what? The idea is based on a real life parasitic fungus - they've taken nature and used it as the basis for the story they wanted to tell, there's nothing wrong with the imagination behind it. What should they have done, just have everyone rise from the dead? They're intentionally moving away from that with some originality.

And the infected have giant cauliflowers for heads (from the glimpses I can make out and seeing what the fungal spores do to their hosts irl), they hardly "look like zombies". They also don't move like Zombies and are the background for the situation that the main characters and other enemies/npcs are in.

I don't know what you want? If they'd actually done a proper zombie apocalypse game you'd moan about it. They move away from that and do something relatively unique and you moan that they're basically doing a zombie apocalypse. Obviously they could have not featured any kind of infected menace but then it's just another apocalyptic survival game. Even though their environment is nothing like RAGE or Fallout or any other related titles either. And then what should the enemies have been, soldiers? Robots? Aliens? Just angry people?

Basically, they've placed it as far away as possible from any typical "zombie" scenario (they aren't even zombies, fuck knows where this has come from?) with their origin and art but you're still whinging that the market is over saturated with this type of game when it's simply not. When was the last time that we had a decent survival or 'protection' game (which this is looking like it's featuring based on information from the team)? Not to mention that, yet again, they're trying to do something interesting with narrative and character, that maybe 2% of the industry are also attempting.

What should they have done as their next IP, oh expert of new ideas?

And to top it all off, your GotY is fucking Shadows of the Damned! A Resi 4 clone who's stock enemies are essentially zombies in everything but art, right down to the headshot insta-kills. Surely, if anyone in this thread can see past the enemy type defining the gameplay it should be you!

Edited by Derblington at 20:44:12 14-12-2011
  • HisDudness 14 Dec 2011 21:40:16 923 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SomaticSense

I think you just simply aren't excited about this game and you don't know why everyone else is, so you're trying to find a reasonable justification.

Just relax man! The trailer doesn't work for you, so what?! There's plenty of other games coming out, though probably not Shadows of the Damned 2...
  • King_Edward 14 Dec 2011 22:13:25 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SotD 2 would rock my cotton socks.
  • SomaticSense 14 Dec 2011 22:19:49 7,061 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    @SomaticSense

I think you just simply aren't excited about this game and you don't know why everyone else is, so you're trying to find a reasonable justification.

Just relax man! The trailer doesn't work for you, so what?! There's plenty of other games coming out, though probably not Shadows of the Damned 2...
    Zombies aside the trailer looks great, especially the fantastic animation. I'm sure Naughty Dog will tell a compulsive story. Of course I'm excited.

I'm just a tad tired of 'zombie-type' enemies is all. I'm not actually that angry about it, at least not as much as my post came across as. But they are still zombies, no matter what sugar coating is involved. You guys honestly don't see the saturation?
  • King_Edward 14 Dec 2011 22:30:24 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not really. I can't think of many zombie games that do the same thing. Except for all the twin-stick shooters.

Dead Island is completely different to L4D which is again completely different to Dead Rising.

What else has zombies?

Oh... the new Yakuza has zombies and is again completely different to the other zombie games.

Edited by King_Edward at 22:34:24 14-12-2011
  • Deleted user 14 December 2011 22:43:32
    As long as I get to punch Juno in the face I can forgive the zombies.
  • Derblington 14 Dec 2011 23:12:02 20,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zombie-type enemies are everywhere and always have been, it's hardly anything new. It seems a weird thing to get specific about, especially when these aren't actually zombies.

People did the same thing with Uncharted, yet seemingly don't for Halo (the Flood), Mass Effect (the Geth), Alan Wake (the Dark Presence), Gears of War (Tickers), Space Marine (Goblins), etc, etc.

Edited by Derblington at 23:12:24 14-12-2011
  • the_dudefather 14 Dec 2011 23:15:07 8,986 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A zombie is pretty much any videogame enemy without a gun when you think about it

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Syrette 14 Dec 2011 23:24:06 41,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People hate the Geth and Flood, to be fair. Worst enemies in those games by far.

• Derblington 14 Dec 2011 23:31:52 20,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, they suck, but they aren't accused of being shit because they're zombies and people don't bring the games into question when ragging on the enemy types.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Dec 2011 23:41:08 35,174 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I feel a bit sorry for Dark Souls and Skyrim, they're full to the brim with zombies, but people forgot to complain about it. :-(

the_dudefather wrote:
    A zombie is pretty much any videogame enemy without a gun when you think about it
    But the first enemy has ammo. So he might have a gun. Or maybe he just has not emptied his pockets since he was zombified.
  • f00b_inc 14 Dec 2011 23:45:48 680 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:

/dark souls full of zombies..
  • Lukus 7 Jan 2012 14:55:39 18,955 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think this does not look shit

Paintings & Photographs

• quadfather 8 Jan 2012 14:01:57 10,567 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They should do They Live too, complete with epic alley punch up

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• michael.eddie.t 9 Jan 2012 05:18:36 1 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really hope this is actually a survival horror game and not a second-tier third-person shooter. I love the Uncharted series, but I am definitely not a fan of Naughty Dog's handling of shooting mechanics.

Complaining aside, I am thrilled that Naughty Dog undoubtedly has another AAA title on deck!
  • King_Edward 9 Jan 2012 07:45:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They've already said its not a survival horror. As far as consoles are concerned it's a dead genre.
  • King_Edward 19 Jan 2012 23:51:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New details

- Post apocalyptic future
    - Shooter (mostly)
    - Frequent, long cut-scenes
  • varsas 20 Jan 2012 10:39:59 2,373 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mostly a shooter does not bode well especially with their talk of bringing something revolutionary to gaming.
  • Derblington 20 Jan 2012 11:17:34 20,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, it doesn't actually say that at all...

The game is said to take place in 2026 across a vast area of the United States. The game's two protagonists -- Ellie and Joel -- will come across hostile survivors and wild animals, to which they will have to deal with using whatever resources they have available.

Civilization has essentially been destroyed by a parasitic fungus that infected a large majority of the human population on Earth.

Naughty Dog insists that it will be an action game and that it won't take much from cinematic marvel Heavy Rain, as rumours have suggested in the past.

The game's narrative will be driven by the relationship between Joel and Ellie, as has been mentioned in the past. Much of the gameplay will revolve around looking for supplies, ammunition and uncontaminated food.

Their relationship will be one of love between a father and daughter, even though the two are not related.

Guns will play an important part in combat, although the frequency of use will depend on how much ammunition the characters find.

Composer of the film 'Babel', Gustavo Santaolalla, is putting together the game's soundtrack.
    Edited by Derblington at 11:18:13 20-01-2012
  • OmniaVincitAmor 20 Jan 2012 11:22:08 1,514 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is this a ps3 exclusive then? Are naughty dog Sony affiliated? Apologies for ignorance. I think this could be fucking brilliant. If they get the character depth of uncharted in a serious survival game it could be amazing.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• dsmx 20 Jan 2012 11:38:29 7,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep naughty dog are a bought and paid for part of sony

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Cappy 20 Jan 2012 11:50:20 11,707 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like The Last of Us will end up going head to head against Resident Evil 6 if current respective release dates are to be believed. I wonder if Sony will delay, probably not, they probably see no reason to do Capcom a favour.

If The Last of Us proves to be the superior game Resident Evil could end up selling a lot less on the PS3, Capcom's shit PS3 porting already puts them at a disadvantage.

Edited by Cappy at 11:54:59 20-01-2012
  • Derblington 20 Jan 2012 11:54:10 20,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is Resi a threat nowadays? They sell ok but should anyone releasing at the same time be weary of their window?

I doubt it.
  • Page

of 82 First / Last