Mobile site comment theads

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • potatoes 4 Dec 2011 00:29:53 4 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi, since the redesign (which is a huge improvement btw) roughly half of the comment threads are too wide to read on an iPhone (iOS 5) using the mobile site.

This seems to happen when links are posted which are stretching the content area, and unfortunately one cannot pinch to zoom out or move horizontally to read the content since the redesign.

Please have someone look at it ASAP as it essentially makes the comments threads a lottery as to whether they will be readable or whether some joker has posted a link to a 'funny' picture and stretched the thread too wide!

Thanks!
  • potatoes 9 Dec 2011 00:50:58 4 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is anyone reading these?

I see someone posted a problem with the iPad portable site a few weeks before me which hasn't been replied to either...

A bit acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss even if these bugs aren't a priority.
  • potatoes 23 Mar 2012 03:42:58 4 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yoohoo, I'm back months later with the same problem.

This had been fixed but over the last few weeks it has crept back in leaving many comment threads unreadable.

Essentially everything from the first post is still true.

Help?
  • nickthegun 23 Mar 2012 07:44:38 59,454 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the mobile site has become a bit fucked recently

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 23 Mar 2012 07:45:10 59,454 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the mobile site has become a bit fucked recently

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Nazo 23 Mar 2012 23:34:23 350 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, it's really annoying. I've written a bookmarklet that will unlock horizontal scrolling, it's still a bit crap but at least you can see all content / vote down whoever posted the link or picture. I've only tested it on iphone so mileage on other devices may vary.

To use it on iPhone:
    Go to this paste and highlight and copy the raw paste data part. Also add a bookmark for the page and label it something memorable.
    Now edit the book mark you just created and replace the location of the page with the text you copied.
    Go to a comment page on EG that doesn't fit the page. Open your bookmarks and choose the one you just created, you should now be able to horizontally scroll the page.
  • ubergine 24 Mar 2012 07:18:55 2,333 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have the same problem with comment threads not displaying properly, it's even worse than Mass Effect 3's ending because although it means significant parts of posts are missing and nonsensical, I can't downvote anyone and so am rendered electronically impotent.

I'm not going to make a fucking donation to Child's Play about it but I do like using the comment threads properly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• Nazo 24 Mar 2012 19:44:40 350 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've redone the script I made so it will truncate long links and reflow the browser back to the correct width.

http://pastebin.com/PiHashrP

Same instructions as above.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2012 23:26:34
    I've just updated my Galaxy S2 to ICS and now the comments threads are too wide for me, too. The +- buttons might be the problem - they no longer fit into the mobile view properly - I have to scroll right to see them (and individual comment votes). The main body of text displays fine, but there's now just this needless space on the right.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next