Ebay bid activity % how can i spot shill bidding? Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • AaronTurner 22 Nov 2011 00:14:18 7,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I too bid at the last second on Ebay, I had no idea this is seen as bad practice.

I have no idea why anyone would bid more than an item is worth and then blame the seller.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 22 Nov 2011 09:29:30 2,090 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always snipe at the last second to win my items, unless I know I'm not going to be at my PC when the item finishes, because it means I get stuff for less than I otherwise would. Am I supposed to feel guilty about that because other people haven't entered their real maximum bid? Because I don't. If you enter your maximum bid, and my snipe means either a) I get it for more than you were willing to pay, or b) You get it for more than I was willing to pay, then what's the issue?

Previously midnight_walker

• Jazzy_Geoff 22 Nov 2011 09:36:57 7,767 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    clearly a schill dm is talking balls as usual
  • dr_swin 22 Nov 2011 09:53:13 4,901 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I recently started selling a load of unwanted furniture on eBay. I had 2 offers of 200 asking me to end the auction early. Being inexperienced at eBay I hadn't entered a Buy it Now price so I couldn't end it early within the rules. The item ended up selling for 165 leaving me a bit pissed off. What would have happened if I had ended the auction and accepted the offer. Would I have got banned?
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2011 10:02:56 29,184 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Selling it outside of ebay is frowned upon. In this scenario, I end the auction and relist it with a BIN price.

Worth noting, ebay have regular "free listings at any starting price" once or twice a month. Keep your eye on the Community News section.

Edited by mrpon at 10:07:18 22-11-2011

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 22 Nov 2011 10:09:39 27,410 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    I recently started selling a load of unwanted furniture on eBay. I had 2 offers of 200 asking me to end the auction early. Being inexperienced at eBay I hadn't entered a Buy it Now price so I couldn't end it early within the rules. The item ended up selling for 165 leaving me a bit pissed off. What would have happened if I had ended the auction and accepted the offer. Would I have got banned?
    Possibly.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• dr_swin 22 Nov 2011 10:11:29 4,901 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think what I should have done in that case was ask them to make a bid of 200 then ended it early.
  • SG 22 Nov 2011 17:37:22 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    a_very_ugly_man wrote:
    :evil:best thing hurt them most NEGATIVE FEEDBACK FOR SHILL BIDDING simples :mad:
    What a dick. You don't know that he's a shill bidder.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• Gaol 23 Nov 2011 15:16:39 2,423 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I usually go for Buy It Now listings, but if something I want is on auction I never bid before the last 30 seconds. All you are doing is inflating the final price.
  • nickthegun 23 Nov 2011 15:38:54 60,435 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its really easy to go mad on eBay, which is why you see things like this all the time; second hand goods going for new prices.

Unless its really rare, fix how much you are prepared to pay and bang it at the last second. If you don't get that one, some spanner will have misspelled an auction that finishes at 2 in the morning that you will get.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• spamdangled 23 Nov 2011 15:41:03 27,410 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Unless its really rare, fix how much you are prepared to pay and bang it at the last second. If you don't get that one, some spanner will have misspelled an auction that finishes at 2 in the morning that you will get.
    :D I've lost count of how many auctions I've won for bargain prices because of that.

Spoder-Man ftw!

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• MrTomFTW Moderator 24 Dec 2011 11:31:09 38,664 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Life of a wanker more like.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• freddymercurystwin 25 Apr 2013 13:41:30 479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apologies for raising an old thread but following a mild debate on another forum I would be interested in the eurogamer forumite's opinion on sniping. I have always bid this way, I have read what Mr internet has to offer and various other threads on other various forums and this one of course but I still fail to see why it is frowned upon by so many. I enter my maximum bid as late as possible, just like I would in a real life auction and win it (or not) at the price I am prepared to pay.

Is the issue really that those who fail to enter a successful bid wanted it for less and are just bitter? Surely they should just enter a maximum bid beforehand. I don't see how the allusion that the seller is somehow losing out is justified either, unless they are relying on dopey bidders who cannot control their auction limits to pay overinflated prices? I am constantly amazed by the prices some (in fact a lot) are prepared to pay for second hand items that may only be a pound or so cheaper if new.
  • kalel 25 Apr 2013 13:46:20 88,370 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't really see the issue here either.

I do wonder though whether a "silent auction" equivalent of ebay might do well. A lot of people seem to prefer that mechanic. It's generally a lot better for sellers as well.
  • DFawkes 25 Apr 2013 13:50:22 23,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never even realised anyone took issue with it. I've been beaten at the last second before, but that's just how auctions go, surely? There's a time you can bid before. You bid what you want to pay.

I do like kalel's silent auction idea though. I'd like to see someone try that out.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deleted user 25 November 2013 20:15:18
    So, I was just outbid by 1p on an item. Funny enough the same seller immediately re listed the item again. Is that something I can raise with e bay?
  • THFourteen 25 Nov 2013 20:45:28 33,821 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been screwed over too, guy bought it now on my old ipad and turns out he wants it shipped to Nigeria.

Oh and he hasn't paid either.

Opened a case with ebay, am I ok to resist my item or do I need to wait for them? I can foot the 3 extra listing fee but I'd be narked about paying the 31 quid final price charge.
  • DaM 25 Nov 2013 21:03:59 13,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's alright, he'll get his shippers to do the Nigerian shipment thing.
    Oh wait, they might need a wee advance payment....
  • YenRug 25 Nov 2013 21:43:56 2,306 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Choppi It kind of depends: did someone drastically outbid you (thus finidng out your max bid), withdraw their bid and then outbid you by 1p? If that happened, it's likely dodgy on someone's part, if not it was just canny bidding by someone. As to immediately being relisted, there's the potential the seller may have had more than one, or the winning bidder pulled out; now, ebay usually gives the option to offer to the second place bidder, but that's not required.
  • santashi 25 Nov 2013 23:37:43 5,164 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I sold some stickers (of all things!) on eBay back in September and got no payment or response to the polite messages I sent to the buyer. eBay eventually cancelled the sale and auto-credited my account (is there actually a way of getting money back instead of credit?).

A few days ago I got a message saying sorry about the delay and they'd see if they could hurry their mum up with the payment, but it might take a while longer.

This was two months after they had won it. :D

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• santashi 25 Nov 2013 23:41:18 5,164 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @THFourteen Think you might be best to wait until you hear from eBay to be on the safe side. If you can get the buyer to agree to mutual cancellation it might be quicker, although they could have changed that recently.

• santashi 25 Nov 2013 23:48:14 5,164 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Choppi What kind of thing were you bidding on? A lot of sellers, especially business ones, have a bunch of the same thing to sell and only list one or a few at a time. Or the buyer could have messaged them straight away to say something like 'oh, I didn't realise the auction was for a rubix cube! I thought it was a video game! Please cancel this'.

I was going through relisting some items that hadn't sold once and accidentally relisted one which had sold. I cancelled the listing immediately but it is something that can happen. :)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next