The Hunger Games Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• dr_swin 28 Sep 2012 16:18:32 4,915 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone who has the Blu ray of this confirm whether there is the option of watching the 12 rated version or the 15 rated version at the beginning? Or is only the 15 rated version included ? Thanks.
  • Bremenacht 17 Apr 2013 01:22:59 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Catching Fire trailer is out:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi130262553/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Looks good. Still think the film has to be aneamic, given that they're dragging the story from 3 books into 4 films. Philip Seymour Hoffman looks like a good choice.
  • Deleted user 17 April 2013 02:13:20
    Risk of spoilers, blah blah, only read if you've read the books etc etc

Interesting that there was only a vague hint of the second games. Are they keeping it under wraps or saving it for the 3rd/4th movie?
  • Bremenacht 17 Apr 2013 02:28:54 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they'll kill the films dead if they don't have something in there. I reckon they'll start the games and end the film before those games end. Awful lot of film to fill if they don't.
  • varsas 17 Apr 2013 13:49:50 2,414 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Afaik there is only 1 film for Catching Fire and 2 for Mockingjay. Of course they could push some of CF into the first MJ...

I though the trailer was excellent as a fan of the books; I thought the original film was okay pre-read and very good post-read. The trailer highlights where the film can expand on the books with some attention on other characters and the events in the background.
  • Whizzo 17 Apr 2013 13:53:43 43,358 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Risk of spoilers, blah blah, only read if you've read the books etc etc

Interesting that there was only a vague hint of the second games. Are they keeping it under wraps or saving it for the 3rd/4th movie?
    Pretty sure they're deliberately keeping it out of the trailer but it's in the film.

Edited by Whizzo at 13:53:52 17-04-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• RedSparrows 17 Apr 2013 13:54:44 24,248 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hope it's actually good this time.

/cool
  • RedSparrows 17 Apr 2013 14:00:49 24,248 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    /fatuous

Am I right in thinking that she becomes a 'symbol for revolution' by the basic act of not being a cunt?

/fatuous
  • M83J01P97 17 Apr 2013 14:01:41 6,711 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are the books worth reading then?

They seemed to get swept up in the whole 'the next Twilight!' phenomenon which immediately put me off. But enjoyed the film and I imagine that didn't cover half of the lore that the books do, which seems interesting to me. Or is all that glossed over seeing as these are essentially teenager fiction?
  • RedSparrows 17 Apr 2013 14:06:51 24,248 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    /fatuous

Am I right in thinking that she becomes a 'symbol for revolution' by the basic act of not being a cunt?

/fatuous
    I don't know, but her boobs make me want to cry.
    Perhaps that's all that needed for revolution? If so, The Sun is a surefire hotbed of radicalism...
  • varsas 17 Apr 2013 14:12:44 2,414 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Are the books worth reading then?

They seemed to get swept up in the whole 'the next Twilight!' phenomenon which immediately put me off. But enjoyed the film and I imagine that didn't cover half of the lore that the books do, which seems interesting to me. Or is all that glossed over seeing as these are essentially teenager fiction?
    I've not read Twilight but the comparisons were based on the love triangle that, on reading the book, is not central at all to the Hunger Games. The series has broader themes though told from Jennifer Lawrence's character Katniss; the 2nd film is certainly building on the greater scope from the trailer and it looks like it will delve more into it with some focus away from Katniss.

I really enjoyed the books and think they are good but I have heard the odd negative comment too.

Edited by varsas at 14:15:13 17-04-2013
  • Whizzo 17 Apr 2013 14:22:06 43,358 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a week off last year (to use my leave up) and managed to rattle through all three of the books in that week.

They're well worth a read and while not some great work of fiction people will be studying for the English Lit exams in a 100 years they're better than you'd expect from something painted with the "young adult" brush.

I'm also in my forties... :-(

Edited by Whizzo at 14:22:23 17-04-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Lotos8ter 17 Apr 2013 15:12:57 2,366 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Jennifer Lawrence grows more lovely by the minute.
    True.
    Just hope there's not too much love story in Catching Fire. Thought the book was the weakest in the trilogy. As long as they put JL in a skimpy outfit while she does her bow & arrows, I'll be happy.

Fiat Lux

• Daryoon 29 Apr 2013 15:01:21 4,668 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nine chapters into the first book. Could someone confirm/deny that the portrayal of the protagonist as a whiny, self-important little brat is intentional, because if it isn't, I'm genuinely concerned for the sanity of the author. I mean, YA or not, it's a story about kidnapped children forced to fight to the death for the entertainment value of others. Having an (allegedly) impoverished child squee over her fabulous gemstone dresses and throw hissy fits because the decadent aristocracy aren't paying her enough attention, despite them forcing her and other children into a fight to the death is, well, more than a little jarring.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 15:11:17
    Nah, the target audience is angsty spoilt teenage bitches, which is what I suspect the author once was.
  • Bremenacht 29 Apr 2013 15:12:54 19,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It continues into the second book. Grit your teeth. Plough through it.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 15:17:04 61,325 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its teen fiction and teenagers are wankers. I havent read the book, but I cant imagine that changing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 15:20:26
    Third one is the most annoying imo. I really despised all of them by the end.
  • Daryoon 29 Apr 2013 15:49:45 4,668 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing is ... the whole story becomes a hideous hypocritical mess if it doesn't properly address the issues behind the whole murder-games thing. The reader (and author) inevitably becomes the very thing the narrative is antagonising. I mean, if that's the point, it's actually pretty clever ... but I get the feeling it's not going to be...

That's there's a big-budget movie based on it just drives it home. People are paying money to sit scoffing popcorn in front of child-murder-as-entertainment. I really, really hope that isn't lost on the author. Or the audience...

That it's a YA book makes it all the more important it does address these issues.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 15:51:47
    You should read the other books. They probably cover what you hope they will. But they're also pretty teenagey.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 15:59:20
    The main issue with THG is that the premise really doesn't make a lot of sense. There's literally no explanation as to why the games "put down rebellion" other than wishy-washy "this is how this film world works", when even a vague knowledge of the history of class struggle would demonstrate that it's a fucking stupid way of doing things. Plus there's the somewhat bizarre element that districts do stuff like mine coal and bake bread as if they're living in the 1800s when the big city has all this ridiculously advanced technology that can make mutant dogs appear from fucking nowhere and medicine that instantly heals deadly infections and third degree burns.

But I'm, as with most things, probably overthinking it.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 16:06:40 61,325 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not at all. Thats the kind of thinking youre going to need as Professor Gremmi, Dean of Teen Fiction.

• RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 16:07:11 24,248 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Logical consistency of a world is very important: it takes a deft touch to keep it in check, and keep the world alive.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 16:07:17
    RRRRRRRRRRRRROBOT HOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 16:22:47 61,325 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You could get tenure, whatever the hell that is.

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 16:23:46
    Means you can't be fired. Unless you murder someone or something. Literally a job for life.

I know that from Friends.
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 16:26:16 24,248 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It doesn't exist anymore, really.

Except for trendy subjects like Teen Fiction!
  • varsas 30 Apr 2013 12:41:29 2,414 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The main issue with THG is that the premise really doesn't make a lot of sense. There's literally no explanation as to why the games "put down rebellion" other than wishy-washy "this is how this film world works", when even a vague knowledge of the history of class struggle would demonstrate that it's a fucking stupid way of doing things. Plus there's the somewhat bizarre element that districts do stuff like mine coal and bake bread as if they're living in the 1800s when the big city has all this ridiculously advanced technology that can make mutant dogs appear from fucking nowhere and medicine that instantly heals deadly infections and third degree burns.

But I'm, as with most things, probably overthinking it.
    The games don't put down the rebellion; it's a show from the government of their power and a reminder that that power was used to destroy the rebellion.

The resources required to maintain an advanced society are limited and pooled in the capital; not sharing that is the choice of the elitist government and the reason for the original rebellion.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last