The Hunger Games

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 16 November 2011 02:22:03
    First trailer

Looks too clean and poorly cast.

Oh well. It's better than Twilight, I suppose.
  • OllyJ 16 Nov 2011 09:36:27 3,302 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    is it a kids Battle Royale?
  • Peew971 23 Mar 2012 12:00:04 5,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw it, found it meh. Definitely not Battle Royale.

XBL: Shadow Thi3f

• MadCaddy13 23 Mar 2012 12:07:59 2,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They are really hyping this crap up to be the film of the year.
  • Tom_Servo 23 Mar 2012 12:10:45 18,083 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I haven't seen any critics saying it'll be the best film of the year, but I think it probably will be the film that defines the year.
  • munki83 23 Mar 2012 12:11:50 1,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it better than Battle Royal 2 ???
  • Peew971 23 Mar 2012 12:16:11 5,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    munki83 wrote:
    Never saw the second one, I reckoned it couldn't be as good as the 1st one.

• munki83 23 Mar 2012 12:40:27 1,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still kinda want to see it. It wont be as cool as Battle Royal which was my introduction in teh world of Japanese Movies.
  • Genji 23 Mar 2012 12:42:43 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peew971 wrote:
    munki83 wrote:
    Never saw the second one, I reckoned it couldn't be as good as the 1st one.
    It wasn't.

I'd imagine Hunger Games would be quite a bit better than BR2, but they don't sound all that comparable. BR2 is a very different movie from the first one, and different from this.
  • jakuande 23 Mar 2012 12:42:59 192 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't watch Battle Royale 2. You will only soil your happy memories of the first one.
  • Whizzo 23 Mar 2012 12:44:56 43,275 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half way through the third book at the moment and, while it's pitched at a younger audience, this early forties old fart has been enjoying them rather a lot.

Off to see the film this evening.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Bremenacht 23 Mar 2012 12:57:03 19,411 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BR1 & 2 seemed to involve a lot of screaming.

I can't imaging HG being as screamy at all. Sounds like it's got as much in common with The Road as with BR.
  • President_Weasel 23 Mar 2012 12:59:09 9,605 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't hate on it for not being Battle Royale (it's more of a Series 7: the Contenders anyway, but with a dash of Future Dystopia rather than the near-future setting of Series 7), love it for not being a huge stinking pile of shite like Twilight.

It sounds like the books are reasonably readable and the film will be watchable, even for grumpy old bastards like me.
  • matrim83 23 Mar 2012 13:00:29 5,597 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saw it. Its pretty decent. I was expecting worse. :p

Valar morghulis.

• munki83 23 Mar 2012 13:10:34 1,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm tempted to read the books I can hide my shame by getting the kindle versions
  • Tuffty 23 Mar 2012 13:25:37 1,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the obvious comparisons with Battle Royale are obvious but unfair. Read the book and found it enjoyable enough, the film sounds like it's a faithful translation so it should be certainly worth a watch.

And let me stress, it's nowhere close to the awfulness of Twilight.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:27:04 23-03-2012
  • steve1979 23 Mar 2012 13:41:09 2,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reading the first book at the moment. It's very dark in places, not what I was expecting at all. I'm enjoying it.

Edited by steve1979 at 13:41:23 23-03-2012
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 13:57:56
    Saw it last night, and it's actually really good. It's a very good adaptation, though there are a large number of subplots that have been trimmed and characters condensed. Most of which I understand why (pacing - it's still 2 hours 20 minutes) but a couple don't make sense in broader context (President Snow is exceptionally unvillainous and miscast, and Haymitch is virtually nothing but an extended cameo).

My biggest criticism would be the camerawork - they've gotten around the violence of the book by making the camera extreme shaky during any close fighting, to the point where you literally can't tell what's happening.

And for a film that had so much hype around its soundtrack, it's surprisingly muted - it refreshingly has virtually no score for the entire film, and there were no shoehorned in licensed songs that I could tell.

And yeah, comparisons with Battle Royale are unfair. They share a very basic premise, but do wildly different things with it.

Edited by meme at 13:58:38 23-03-2012
  • oceanmotion 23 Mar 2012 14:09:34 16,090 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Reading the book at the moment and it's actually quite good. Must read the next chapter about it. It is a young adult book but if you can overlook that, it's a good read. Dark, quite funny, good characters.

Film has been getting good reviews and it's nice to see people not turning their nose up and saying it copies this and that. I think people are genuinely surprised. Mentioning Twilight is daft as well, nothing in common other than a big franchise to sell so leave those thoughts behind.
  • Phattso Moderator 23 Mar 2012 14:22:05 13,795 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Saw it last night, and it's actually really good.
    I randomly saw this last night as well (was out, didn't fancy a drink, picked a random film at the local IMAX).

It was hands down the worst thing I've seen in years. Now that I realise what it is, clearly I'm not the audience for it. But it was sub-Twilight shite as far as I could tell and rolled out pretty much every cliche it could over it's depressingly long running length.

Nice premise, but ridiculous execution. Didn't help with a bunch of squeely woman all around me wishing each other "Happy Hunger Day" every five fucking seconds until the film started, and actually weeping at one point in the film. Get. A. Grip.

So yeah. I give it: Miserable old bastard / 10.
  • BinaryBob101 23 Mar 2012 14:27:31 24,109 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dunno about the cool new thing to love, THG is turning into the cool new thing to hat pretty damn quickly.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 23 March 2012 14:37:22
    Saying it's sub-Twilight is a big disservice. Both the book and film are arguably better than Twilight in almost every way. HG is the next 'teen fad novel', granted (and I suspect that's where most of the, in my opinion undeserved, hate comes from), but for once it's actually one that's decently written and has a surprisingly moral core (beyond the 'love can overcome darkness' that's rife through Harry Potter and 'I must have a boyfriend' in Twilight).
  • BinaryBob101 23 Mar 2012 14:38:52 24,109 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, my 13 year old lad is pretty hyped for THG. I will be showing him Battle Royale tonight first though.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• munki83 23 Mar 2012 15:05:03 1,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BinaryBob101

Make sure to cover his eyes at some of the more gorey scences :p
  • BinaryBob101 23 Mar 2012 15:07:35 24,109 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nah, I'm sure he'll be able to hack it. I was watching much worse through the 80s video nasty banning era and I turned out ok.

/sharpens axe

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• senso-ji 23 Mar 2012 15:13:36 6,002 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This film sounds interesting, but I was the age of the current target audience when I say Battle Royale 12 years ago, so I'm not sure this is the film for me now that I'm older and grumpier.

And after reading a few reviews, there seems to be a Twilight style love triangle present. Not sure I'll be able to stomach that.
  • Deleted user 23 March 2012 15:20:27
    The love triangle is hugely played down in the film, and isn't really of great importance in the book. It's just there to make some tension happen with the whole 'fake love' thing to win over the crowd in the 1st and 2nd books, it's discarded entirely by the third
  • craigy Staff 23 Mar 2012 15:26:47 7,779 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hunger Lames more like, amirite? Aaaahahahaha. Ha. Ha.

/slowly backs out of thread
  • Phattso Moderator 23 Mar 2012 15:37:46 13,795 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Saying it's sub-Twilight is a big disservice. Both the book and film are arguably better than Twilight in almost every way. HG is the next 'teen fad novel', granted (and I suspect that's where most of the, in my opinion undeserved, hate comes from), but for once it's actually one that's decently written and has a surprisingly moral core (beyond the 'love can overcome darkness' that's rife through Harry Potter and 'I must have a boyfriend' in Twilight).
    I can't speak to the quality of the books in either case as I haven't read them. I went into The Hunger Games with zero prior knowledge and zero expectation. What I saw was simply a bad film. I can see where the potential was, and with a different execution it might've been quite a good watch, but I was bored off my tits for the whole time.

Only the fact that it was on IMAX and so my eyes and ears were being sexed up made the whole thing bearable.

But, again, I'm clearly not the target audience. I can only react to the quality of the filmmaking, which seemed really really poor to me. I've only seen the first Twilight film, and for all it was tweenage bollocks it did at least have a certain atmosphere to it. This doesn't even manage that, with dialed in performances from the only people you'd recognise and by-the-numbers acting from the remainder.

I'll be watching both The Running Man and Battle Royale again this weekend though, so at least the basic premise still resonates. :)
  • Peew971 23 Mar 2012 15:48:14 5,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't mentioned I saw it with my girlfriend who has read and loved all the books and she hated the movie. She thought they trimmed way too much important stuff and went against the dark mood/violence present in the books. That and a few more complaints I can't remember.

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous