Rocksmith Page 7

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• DUFFMAN5 7 Oct 2012 14:57:00 15,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

Why don't you leave the game alone for the time being and just take some very easy instruction from a book/internet.

From everything I have seen of RS, you really do not want to be a novice starting from scratch on it, like yourself.

What is your fav song or songs, learn to play one of those first. I'm a Dylan nut so for me it was Dylan tunes, luckily enough,a lot of them are just G,Am,D so not too hard.

I'm shat at guitar, but can play a few things. On the vids I have seen the interface still looks alien to me. I can read a very small amount of a musical score, some tab, but mainly chords. If you put the time in the rewards come very quickly, stick with it.
    :)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 14:57:40 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good. If I can get all Mr Miyagi for a second, nothing worthwhile comes easy ;)
  • DenzilHead 7 Oct 2012 17:06:44 9 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think that not having a feel for the guitar, i.e. not being able to pick the string you want or move up or down a number of frets without looking would seriously hamper any beginner trying to play this. I remember that being a big hurdle when I first started playing.

Also, any beginner that doesn't know the 8th fret on the E string is the same note as the 3rd fret on the A string etc.., and just followed some of the fingering positions this game steers you towards without adapting them would struggle.

But, as a non-beginner, I'm really enjoying this. Just a bit weird standing up to play, after years of just occasionally picking it up and strumming aimlessly while I'm sitting down watching the telly or something.

Edited by DenzilHead at 17:07:51 07-10-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Oct 2012 18:48:05 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

As the good man Duff says, maybe take a bit of a step back from it and read up a bit about things. You have to remember that it would typically take about a year of reasonable practice to get to a level where you can say that you play but are complete shit! Heck, i know a guy who's being playing for about 32 years of his 40 year life, has taken lessons all over Europe and America, teaches classical, jazz, heavy metal, is heavily into his theory, and also teaches piano. His response if asked about his ability?

"I'm still learnig!". Says it all really :)
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Oct 2012 21:48:57 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for words of advice and encouragement guys. Had another session with it and mostly stuck with the practice stuff doing the slides and duck hunt. Doing a little better but as soon as I try a song it goes to hell

Tomorrow I'm going to have another go tomorrow but I think you are right and im going to settle down and do a few of the lessons on just one guitar. Also I will get a tab or two and see if I can play anything.
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 22:24:12 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kazillions of tabs here.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Oct 2012 23:36:22 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

Stick with it, the first baby steps with any instrument are just horrid!

My advice is go learn Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water' - it's probably one of the most famous guitar riffs of all time, but it's also one of the easiest to play!
  • TFM_Excalibur 8 Oct 2012 01:15:29 1,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob

Stick with it, the first baby steps with any instrument are just horrid!

My advice is go learn Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water' - it's probably one of the most famous guitar riffs of all time, but it's also one of the easiest to play!
    This.

Was introduced to tremolo'ing last night, fuck me!!, holding the pick at at angle really does make a difference!!.

I think i might just sell all my games, i now own a rocksmith console, not a 360, seems like it's all i want to play, not been that way about a game since here comes the pain on ps2, big contrast i know lol.
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Oct 2012 13:50:29 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi all... Me again lol

Well another very frustrating and disheartening afternoon spent with rock Smith. I though I would give the game another chance rather than switching to YouTube or wen based lessons since I did buy it to teach me to play the guitar. I wanted to see what the game would do next.

Well the game decided I needed to do an event. So I played 2 songs and missed nearly all the notes bud despite missing almost every note the game decided I deservered an encore! So despite missing every note almost in the 2 songs I had previously played I now had to play a song I had never played before and get introduced to 2 new things I have no knowledge of! Guess how that went?

The game next suggested I learn double stops and mutes despite me not even really being able to hit simple single notes. Hey, you are doing shit so learn these advanced things. What fucking sense does that make? It's like the dynamic difficulty which I love the idea of but seems very poorly implemented because all you need to do is hit a few notes and it starts massively speeding things up and throwing loads more notes your way.

So I decided to ignore the games suggestions and head for the riff repeater.. Time to slow things down and use repition to really nail it. Again this fails as a teaching tool.. There is hardly any feedback at all as to if I'm hitting notes. I got through a section of fast reds by literally spamming the note with no rythem or trying to hit anything and the game registered as if I did it. Also it has lives so I only have so many attempts to learn the riff before heading back through the slow loading clunky menus. Wtf?

I'm feeling cheated by the whole rocksmith can teach any one to play the guitar.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Oct 2012 14:07:27 15,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

Mate. for the love of god LEAVE IT ALONE and just get some tabs of songs you know to death, that way you will understand tempo etc. Loads of free sites over the next of course.

Come back to RS in a month,2 months time. Don't get stressed, you are supposed to be enjoying playing/learning the axe :)

...or sell it to me ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 14:13:26 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob

I really think if you want to learn the guitar you need to rely on actual proper practice on top of Rocksmith.

If you can't hit a note cleanly, why not unplug from the game and start on the open low E string? Use down strokes and play them until you can consistently nail them cleanly, then do the same with upstrokes. When you're comfortable doing that, start alternate picking. Then move to the A string and repeat. Or even start picking and fretting notes on E, then just move up the string chromatically. Say the notes out loud as you go, as you're not just practising physically moving around, but you're learning what notes your hitting and starting to train your ear. That's a tonne of stuff that you really have to nail down and you don't need to be on Rocksmith for it. Baby steps and all that.

Take time with a book and don't even touch the guitar. Read up about basic theory like how chord progressions work, modes of the major scale, how chords are constructed, learn note positions on the fret board etc.

Depending on how serious and rigorous you want to be in your practice, this seemingly simple stuff will take you weeks, if not months to pin down, and you're as well to lay down a solid foundation. It won't happen instantly, but you will eventually have an 'eureka!' moment.

Anyway, good luck with it, whatever you decide to do :)

Edit - Also, what Duffman says :D

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 14:18:14 08-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Oct 2012 14:27:22 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a lot of well meaning advice in this thread over the last few pages, but it seems like you aren't quite taking it in and instead are ploughing on with the slightly too advanced stuff.
    I think it's accurate to say that Rocksmith is not a tool for complete beginners, rather, it needs an understanding of the very basics- cleanly plucking notes, moving your hand up and down the fretboard, basic chords etc- and you simply aren't there yet. I can understand if you feel cheated though as it is sold as a tool for learning the guitar from scratch. What it actually is is a fun tool for learning a few songs and improving basic technique. You've got to get those basics... as we've all said a million times here.
    I, for one, am going to stop repeating myself from this point on :)
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Oct 2012 14:34:00 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers I will keep going I'm not going to give up.... At least not yet lol

I know you guys are right and I need to get away from the game but that's what's possible g me off is that it's supposed to be to teach you how to play the guitar and it massively monumenterly utterly fails in every way shape and form. If I wanted to learn from books and so forth I would have done that years ago. As a person I'm very easy distracted ( I suffer from attention deficit disorder) and will almost certainly lack the drive to make myself sit and learn every day slowly. That's why although I love guitar and always really wanted to learn I always avoided it. So along comes rocksmith and I read how it will make learning fun and how it motivate you to keep learning g and about how it slowly teaches and it's all utter bullshit. If you are reading this and a guitar I urge you to stay a million fucking miles away from rocksmith.

Still I spent out 123 quid now so have the guitar I'm gonna keep on keeping on :-) might see if I can get a cheap practice amp and will have a work through on Justin guitar.... I'm not hopeful though as like I said I lack the disaplin to just sit and learn each day without motivation and something holding my attention in place I can't see me doing well.

One last thing... Fuck you ubisoft. I feel better lol
  • ZuluHero 8 Oct 2012 14:37:34 4,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I took the plunge today (birthday pressie for myself :p) and got the game (along with some new strings for my Tele)

Hurry up workday! Finish already!

Sorry to hear your having trouble, wobbly_Bob, there is some good advice in here! I got terribly frustrated while I was learning to play (and I had proper lessons and took my theory paper and everything) because lesson's sucked and I wanted to rock! \oo/

Was about to give up, then I started just playing songs I liked (and knew really well) from TAB using CDs as a backing tracks and haven't looked back. It all just clicked.

Of course, the twist in the tale is that I haven't played in ages, but I'm looking forward to trying out the game and getting back into the swing of things. Keep at it! When it clicks, it's awesome :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 14:38:31 08-10-2012
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Oct 2012 14:38:48 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    There's a lot of well meaning advice in this thread over the last few pages, but it seems like you aren't quite taking it in and instead are ploughing on with the slightly too advanced stuff.
    I think it's accurate to say that Rocksmith is not a tool for complete beginners, rather, it needs an understanding of the very basics- cleanly plucking notes, moving your hand up and down the fretboard, basic chords etc- and you simply aren't there yet. I can understand if you feel cheated though as it is sold as a tool for learning the guitar from scratch. What it actually is is a fun tool for learning a few songs and improving basic technique. You've got to get those basics... as we've all said a million times here.
    I, for one, am going to stop repeating myself from this point on :)
    Yeah I hear what you are saying and I know you are right, dude :-) it's just I wanted to see where the game would take me next and the point is it IS marketed to teach you how to play the guitar. Ubisoft told me It would teach a compete beginner play the guitar and I feel lied to and cheated out of 123. Sure I can see try and learn via Web or books but I paid out good money for this game to teach me and it fails to do what it says on the tin.
  • ZuluHero 8 Oct 2012 14:59:21 4,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh just a thought - will the real-tone cable I got in the PS3 version work on the PC demo on steam?
  • TFM_Excalibur 8 Oct 2012 15:15:59 1,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Oh just a thought - will the real-tone cable I got in the PS3 version work on the PC demo on steam?
    I dont see why not., think the cables are identical.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 15:20:12 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gah, this is making me want to go buy a guitar!

Try as i have, but drumming and next door neighbours just don't mix :rolleyes:

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 15:21:11 08-10-2012
  • madwlf 8 Oct 2012 16:50:04 74 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm in the same boat with my bass. Got through the first few songs pretty well but hit a wall on the second level. I've had a play through of most of the songs and can reasonably play about 35% of them.
    I've a feeling the second level/stage songs are deemed to be easier guitar songs but the bass lines are pretty hard.
    Decided my best bet is to go back to basics and follow some youtube finger exercises and get to the position where I can use 1 finger per fret and concentrate on playing the songs I'm fairly good at and stand a chance to master.
    Plus, fingers still killing!!
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Oct 2012 17:21:57 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The cable works with Garageband apparently Zulu so I think its a bona fide analogue/ digital interface thingy. Should work fine.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 17:37:29 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @madwlf

Practice the F minor scale in the first position and make sure you're using the pinky for fretting the minor 3rd note.

Great for stretching the hand out on a bass!
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Oct 2012 17:42:40 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok been practicing the first lesson on Justin Guitar. I made a D chord! Although I can only make it with great difficulty and then only some of the time but it was great to actually make a chord.

I also sat and spent time picking through each string to try and teach myself where they are located.

I went back into the game and spent a good while on ducks to make myself a quick with the fretting. I then did a couple of songs. I did okish in go with the flow. I can't get no satisfaction is still a Complete fucker tho. I don't know why the fuck is that one of the first so songs it throws your way!?

Today I felt like I made some progress. Gonna pack it I think now because I been at this since 12 today. Tomorrow will try the D chord again then practice plucking each string again and maybe try a song in the game too.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 17:44:11 08-10-2012
  • Dave_McCoy 8 Oct 2012 17:43:06 2,800 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can sympathise with wobbly_Bob as it does say on the box, 'Anyone can play guitar'. I've played before and for me it's an awesome practice tool. As I said a few pages back though, I can imagine it being massively daunting to a new starter.

I'll be playing a fair bit of this tomorrow as I finally have some time off work. I'm looking forward to it very much...come on 9pm..not long now.
  • madwlf 8 Oct 2012 17:52:01 74 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck Okay thanks I'll give it a go later.
    Yesterday I tried going down a string using 4 fingers but couldn't get my little finger to stretch/work! Got awful fret noise. But I think the key is to slow it down and make sure my fingers are in exactly the right position and just practice, practice, practice.
    Think I'll be in a much better position once I can get all four fingers on the strings with no fret noise.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 18:00:31 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @madwlf

Yeah it feels really weird, it's like you don't have proper control of your pinky!

I say do the F minor scale as that gives you the largest distance you'll realistically be stretching across and it also keeps your hand from cramping up sooner by going through the rest of the scale and keeping the other fingers going, or even play F chromatically.

Also practice doing hammer ons and pull offs with the pinky to help build strength too. If you get a searing pain in your arm from it then obviously take a break, but come back a few days later and you might have full pinky control - that's what happened to me at least! :D

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 18:01:42 08-10-2012
  • ZuluHero 8 Oct 2012 22:13:22 4,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok its really rather good isnt it. im about half way through "new act" and my fingers are really sore and my back aches but it feels so good.

im really impressed by the note reproduction and all the built in pedles..and the guitar tuner has to be the best ive ever seen. The dynamic difficulty is good too..its never afraid to tell me "not so fast,sunshine..youre getting ahead of yourself" whenever i get too cocky.

i am surprised by how lazy my chords have gotten, my 14 year old self would be so dissappointed after all that practice years ago. I can see the game is going to make me dust off my technique.

And how weird are gigs? those people really freak me out. Except the blonde in the red vest on the right hand side of the stage..she can see me in ny trailer after the show ;)

that said, i can see where wobbly bob and others are falling down..id really hate to approch this as a complete beginner...it would be so daunting. My advice after playing it would be to just keep playing the first couple of songs. Over and over. Until your fingers bleed and you hear those songs in your sleep. I dont want to sound harsh but i think this is going to be the same as if you learned guitar any other way. Sure its a fun way to learn, but its not any more easy.
  • mcmothercruncher 8 Oct 2012 22:51:12 7,509 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @madwlf
    Definitely second the idea of developing your pinky strength- you're (literally) operating at 75% capacity without it :)

Don't forget to place your fingers right behind the fret, not in the middle between the two frets, where, admittedly it feels logical to do so. Should cut down the buzzing a lot and it needs a fair bit less strength to do so too as a bonus.
  • madwlf 8 Oct 2012 23:03:05 74 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm fairly fine with the other 3 fingers it's just my pinky that I dont have any control over and can't get it to stretch very far! But I'll youtube the F minor scale a go and try that every night.
    On another note I've played it for nearly 6hrs this weekend plus a couple of hours of youtube practice but had a bit of a shooting pain at the top of my left arm today. Think I've just got to play through it.
    Really enjoying it though and will continue to play the few songs I can over and over and take my time learning.
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Oct 2012 23:16:04 4,710 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @madwlf

That bit of pain could be your pinky falling in line! I'd say take a break, no point in doing yourself an injury.

If you're so inclined, this book by one of my favourite musicians Sean Malone, is absolutely fantastic for learning a bit of theory. It's geared towards bassist, but i think it's a great read for anyone wanting to learn some really good, clear and concise music theory. I found myself playing until my arms hurt and then picking this up for half an hour while what you did was fresh in the head was a great way to absorb info i'd never have learnt otherwise.

Getting that bit of theory down for me turned the fretboard into a lot less daunting thing to be near and turned aimless noodlings into noodlings with a target :D
  • jkrodal 9 Oct 2012 00:10:43 155 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Definitely getting this sometime soon. Not a complete beginner here, but far from good as well :-). What platform do you guys recommend I get it for? I'm leaning on ps3, but might go for pc if there are big advantages with that version.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last