NaNoWriMo 2011 Page 4

• Page

of 105 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 5 Oct 2011 21:13:42 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought this had already started, I may have some extra time come November so I might give this a go. It's been a very long time since I wrote anything interesting.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 5 October 2011 21:15:50
    I have literally no excuses. I'm a full time house husband for at least another three months, aside from housework the only thing that I need to do is some furniture assembly and arranging, and that'll be done by the end of this week. So if I'm slack with it you all have permission to invade the US and kick my arse.
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Oct 2011 21:25:16 25,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How is the US move working out dude?

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Deleted user 5 October 2011 21:28:52
    Really good, cheers! Am all married now and settled, just waiting for paperwork to be filed and processed so I can start work, but that's not going to be until the very end of the year, possibly January. Time zones take some getting used to, I check here in the evenings and think 'it's quiet today' before realising it's about 4 in the morning there.
  • boo 5 Oct 2011 22:11:29 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

(and mail off my mixtape. But that's another thread......)

Oh it's YOU that hasn't sent me anything, is it?

:o)

Good to have you on board, Blerk!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Blerk Moderator 5 Oct 2011 22:24:07 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You might not be saying that once you've seen some of my writing. :-)
  • CosmicFuzz 5 Oct 2011 23:06:45 25,657 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Really good, cheers! Am all married now and settled, just waiting for paperwork to be filed and processed so I can start work, but that's not going to be until the very end of the year, possibly January. Time zones take some getting used to, I check here in the evenings and think 'it's quiet today' before realising it's about 4 in the morning there.
    Awesome, glad it's all going well :-)

And boo: it's worth the wait...

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Blerk Moderator 5 Oct 2011 23:12:23 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have created a blog. Which I may or may not post anything in. But we'll see. :-)
  • Deleted user 5 October 2011 23:41:46
    Blerk wrote:
    You might not be saying that once you've seen some of my writing. :-)

Renowned symbologist Blerk Langdon gunned the smart car down the streets of Paris.
  • localnotail 5 Oct 2011 23:47:48 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    here blog, here

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• binky Moderator 6 Oct 2011 08:52:56 9,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't stand a chance of writing that many words, and for that reason... I'm IN.
  • boo 6 Oct 2011 08:53:21 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    \o/

Just Another Lego Blog

• binky Moderator 6 Oct 2011 08:56:59 9,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll probably blog about it in my usual blog place and tag with NaNoWriMo. http://30sgeek.blogspot.com/search/label/NaNoWriMo
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2011 09:47:48 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, fear and regret appear to have set in already! I'm off to a good start!

Plus my only dream last night was about some guy complaining that he'd dropped something down a urine-filled toilet and didn't want to put his hand in to fish it out. I'm thinking that's probably not a good basis for the start of a 50,000 word novel.
  • boo 6 Oct 2011 09:50:30 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, certainly didn't hurt Trainspotting...

Just Another Lego Blog

• TechnoHippy 6 Oct 2011 10:01:48 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I've signed up at the site, I probably won't bother with a blog, but I will post updates here. I presume it's bad form to start before November, but that some planning and preparation is ok?

If anyone wants to be writing buddies then I'm TechnoHippy on the site as well.

• MetalDog 6 Oct 2011 10:05:44 23,920 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The blogs are so that we don't end up with 2000 word posts in here =)

You can plan as much as you like, but no actual scene writing before the 1st.

@Blerk - I'm wondering what it was he'd dropped down the bog.

Lots of people this year!

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• binky Moderator 6 Oct 2011 10:32:14 9,950 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My userID is MrBinks btw.

You guys already have ideas you've been planning? I'm a completely blank sheet. No idea.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Oct 2011 10:34:21 14,716 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is a fair point, a blog it is then. Are there any recommended sites?

• MetalDog 6 Oct 2011 10:37:36 23,920 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @binky - I have done a fair bit of planning this year, but last year I started with only the fluffiest of notions on nov 1st, so don't sweat it =)

@technohippy - blogspot is a doddle to set up

• steve1979 6 Oct 2011 10:41:34 2,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    binky wrote:
    My userID is MrBinks btw.

You guys already have ideas you've been planning? I'm a completely blank sheet. No idea.

I'm about 40,000 words though a book, so I need to get it finished. I've got a fairly detailed plan, but I'm sure that will go out the window after a few days.
  • MetalDog 6 Oct 2011 10:51:10 23,920 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looking at the list on the first post, if everyone signed up averages out at 1500 words day1, we'll have a collective output of 28,500 words by the end of nov 1st.
    That's fairly impressive, let's make that happen.

• Cappy 6 Oct 2011 11:10:55 12,119 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe this is the year I write a novel. Maybe.

I'll have to think about a working method which will provide the irritant grit around which the pearl will form.
  • boo 6 Oct 2011 11:11:26 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    binky wrote:

Last year I didn't actually start until Nov 3rd.

All I had was 'It was a dark and stormy night...' and that was it. Once you succumb to the idea of 'Always forward! No going back, no editing, no revisions.', you'll be fine.

I mean, you can edit, obviously - there's nothing in the rules against it. You'll just find that you don't have the time, when you need to knock out 1760 a day, every day.

Edit.
    Words, that is. Knock out 1760 words...

Just Another Lego Blog

• boo 6 Oct 2011 11:12:52 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    I'll have to think about a working method which will provide the irritant grit around which the pearl will form.

Oh, you'll find we can be very irritating...

Just Another Lego Blog

• steve1979 6 Oct 2011 11:45:35 2,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    binky wrote:

Last year I didn't actually start until Nov 3rd.

All I had was 'It was a dark and stormy night...' and that was it. Once you succumb to the idea of 'Always forward! No going back, no editing, no revisions.', you'll be fine.

I mean, you can edit, obviously - there's nothing in the rules against it. You'll just find that you don't have the time, when you need to knock out 1760 a day, every day.

Edit.
    Words, that is. Knock out 1760 words...

Glad for the edit!
  • Carbon_Altered 6 Oct 2011 14:18:12 736 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've fancied a go at this, but am a little worried about sharing my efforts with a wider audience. Yes, I can understand it from a motivational point of view, but, well, it's hard to explain, but you know that weird feeling you get in your stomach when you read some horrible poem/song/diary/story you wrote when you were 13? Well isn't this like that but magnified by the shame of doing it as a 30 something year old adult who should really know better?! Or am I being too self concious?
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2011 14:18:56 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spent my lunch hour trying to finish off my most recent short story. Wrote a bunch of words, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that I haven't a bloody clue where it's going. This is usually my problem, I have a good idea and make a decent run at it to begin with and then can't decide how to finish it.

When planning, does everyone sketch out the whole thing right at the start so that they know exactly what they want to achieve? Or do you prefer to just come up with a handful of decent ideas and let it go where it goes?

I'm beginning to think that the second of those approaches isn't going to cut it for me, which is somewhat troubling as it means I'll have to have an entire outline before I even get going or I'm going to choke half way through.

@Carbon: You don't actually have to share ANYTHING if you don't want to. The writing isn't published anywhere unless you choose to publish it yourself. You could just play along for you and keep the whole thing under wraps.
  • sunjumper 6 Oct 2011 14:20:24 3,248 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Carbon_Altered wrote:
    [...] Or am I being too self conscious?

This mostly.
  • boo 6 Oct 2011 14:24:12 11,944 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carbon - What Blerk said. No obligation to blog. Some of us found it useful last year, but it was just for fun.

Blerk - Didn't do any planning last year. For the first week I didn't know what was going to happen in the next paragraph, let alone the next chapter.

It's a surprisingly liberating way to write!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 105 First / Last