NaNoWriMo 2011 Page 105

• Page

of 105 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 11:41:41
    I pretty much exclusively use OmmWriter nowadays, at least for drafting. Scrivener just annoyed me after a while - the organisation features were okay, but seeing as I like to work distraction free anyway, I have all the notes scribbled on notepads.

Plus, Amazon now reject .mobis compiled with Scrivener, as it doesn't reach the proper formatting standards.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Sep 2012 11:58:19 14,707 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm still using my Word and Excel combination :-)

I need to get some planning done.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2012 12:03:17 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Plus, Amazon now reject .mobis compiled with Scrivener, as it doesn't reach the proper formatting standards.
    That's a bit of a bugger. Calibre ftw?

Edit: Actually, it seems Scrivener uses Amazon's own KindleGen to output .mobi files now, so it looks like that particular issue might be fixed.

Edited by Blerk at 12:09:38 27-09-2012
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 12:16:47
    It's always used KindleGen, but there's something about the output that means Amazon get a bit annoyed about it - something to do with how it handles HTML tags.

Calibre is also a no-no, now. The preferred way is to dump it all in a Word document, format it, save it as HTML and then run it through this - http://word2cleanhtml.com/ - then let Amazon's website handle the conversion to .mobi.

Edited by meme at 12:17:39 27-09-2012
  • MetalDog 27 Sep 2012 12:17:12 24,035 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Word for writing (sheer familiarity makes it low-distraction for me) and Scriv. for editing - not that I do enough of that. Some notes either in notepad files littered across my desktop or the majority in physical notebooks.

Unless anyone has any objections I'll start a new thread on Oct 1st for the impending fresh madness.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2012 12:29:37 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It's always used KindleGen, but there's something about the output that means Amazon get a bit annoyed about it - something to do with how it handles HTML tags.

Calibre is also a no-no, now. The preferred way is to dump it all in a Word document, format it, save it as HTML and then run it through this - http://word2cleanhtml.com/ - then let Amazon's website handle the conversion to .mobi.
    Well, what a faff. Good to know, though.
  • boo 27 Sep 2012 13:16:14 12,569 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Unless anyone has any objections I'll start a new thread on Oct 1st for the impending fresh madness.
    By all means.

That does, however, mean I've only got a month to finish off Able's adventures from last year. No way am I starting a new one with 2011's left hanging.

18,000 words in a month?

Pfft.

Piece of cake.

/panics
  • MetalDog 27 Sep 2012 13:19:14 24,035 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Be a nice warm up for you, boo =)
  • MetalDog 1 Oct 2012 10:14:25 24,035 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    New Thread now up.
  • sunjumper 6 May 2016 00:30:30 3,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OK... This is going to be slightly strange.

After having ignored Skyshell for more than four years and due to poular demand (the demand comes from Carbon_Alter, which in turn makes him very popular with me) I sat down and started working on it again.

In stead of rereading the monster novel fragment and getting bogged down in the wonderful feeling of failure again I have decided to write short stories, well attempting to write them at least, casting a light on the various protagonists.
    I get to know them better thus hopefully improving the quality of the story once I get back to writing it. And in this case even if I don't finish the damned thing it is still a win. Because it means that I have written.

So I present you:

Skyshell Stories 1: Ailu Leyka presumably part one as there is more about Ailu I want to write about. I am just running out of time.

Feedback is as always greatly appriciated.

Enjoy.

Edit: replaced broken link with a working one. Was told that that's the way the cool kids do it these days.

Edited by sunjumper at 00:43:21 06-05-2016
  • Page

of 105 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.