NaNoWriMo 2011 Page 105

• Page

of 105 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 11:41:41
    I pretty much exclusively use OmmWriter nowadays, at least for drafting. Scrivener just annoyed me after a while - the organisation features were okay, but seeing as I like to work distraction free anyway, I have all the notes scribbled on notepads.

Plus, Amazon now reject .mobis compiled with Scrivener, as it doesn't reach the proper formatting standards.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Sep 2012 11:58:19 14,698 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still using my Word and Excel combination :-)

I need to get some planning done.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2012 12:03:17 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Plus, Amazon now reject .mobis compiled with Scrivener, as it doesn't reach the proper formatting standards.
    That's a bit of a bugger. Calibre ftw?

Edit: Actually, it seems Scrivener uses Amazon's own KindleGen to output .mobi files now, so it looks like that particular issue might be fixed.

Edited by Blerk at 12:09:38 27-09-2012
  • Deleted user 27 September 2012 12:16:47
    It's always used KindleGen, but there's something about the output that means Amazon get a bit annoyed about it - something to do with how it handles HTML tags.

Calibre is also a no-no, now. The preferred way is to dump it all in a Word document, format it, save it as HTML and then run it through this - http://word2cleanhtml.com/ - then let Amazon's website handle the conversion to .mobi.

Edited by meme at 12:17:39 27-09-2012
  • MetalDog 27 Sep 2012 12:17:12 23,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Word for writing (sheer familiarity makes it low-distraction for me) and Scriv. for editing - not that I do enough of that. Some notes either in notepad files littered across my desktop or the majority in physical notebooks.

Unless anyone has any objections I'll start a new thread on Oct 1st for the impending fresh madness.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2012 12:29:37 48,225 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It's always used KindleGen, but there's something about the output that means Amazon get a bit annoyed about it - something to do with how it handles HTML tags.

Calibre is also a no-no, now. The preferred way is to dump it all in a Word document, format it, save it as HTML and then run it through this - http://word2cleanhtml.com/ - then let Amazon's website handle the conversion to .mobi.
    Well, what a faff. Good to know, though.
  • boo 27 Sep 2012 13:16:14 11,706 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Unless anyone has any objections I'll start a new thread on Oct 1st for the impending fresh madness.
    By all means.

That does, however, mean I've only got a month to finish off Able's adventures from last year. No way am I starting a new one with 2011's left hanging.

18,000 words in a month?

Pfft.

Piece of cake.

/panics

Just Another Lego Blog

• MetalDog 27 Sep 2012 13:19:14 23,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Be a nice warm up for you, boo =)

• MetalDog 1 Oct 2012 10:14:25 23,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New Thread now up.

• Page

of 105 First / Last

Next