Is X-Wing/TIE Fighter coming back finally? Quite possibly.... Page 7

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Next
  • Deleted user 25 September 2011 10:07:55
    What has any of this got to do with X-Wing/Tie-Fighter?
  • Deleted user 25 September 2011 10:25:05
    Tie fighter/X-Wing always had 'shooter elements' and I don't think you know what on-the-rails shooters are.

    The reason for no new versions of these games happening has less to do with any shift in gaming tastes and more to do with LucasArts being a hollow shell of what they were in the 90s. Other companies haven't made any because of the same reason that flight sims have gone - they ran out f good and new ideas and the public got bored, pushing them toward the niche market.
  • redcrayon 25 Sep 2011 10:57:46 4,544 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's always a chance- popular game genres go in cycles, and it'll only take one good flight sim to kick it off.

    Sure, an average shooter will make more money and has a lower barrier for entry (in that everyone knows the controls before they have even bought it), but plenty of complex, cerebral stuff gets released on PC every year too. It just doesn't have a huge marketing budget.
  • Rusty_M 25 Sep 2011 11:12:01 4,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I could see TIE fighter working if it was budgeted just right. The X series sells well enough it would seem, as do some flight sims. I don't see games like this getting such huge budgets, but that's understandable. There's still money to be made in those markets, otherwise there would be no games of those types at all.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 11:18:22 5,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    niPsen wrote:
    PenguinJim wrote:
    I don't see the problem with being thrilled by game concepts before a game is made, but that doesn't exactly describe me. My only pre-order for the past four years has been The Witcher 2.
    ..and? What would you say made you pre-order it? Was it...
    a) the hype on the internet and in the magazines?
    b) promise of a deep and involving story?
    c) altruistic wish to support the developer?
    d) other unproven property of the game based on flimsy and short description in bullet-point form?
    No. Are those the only options available to you when you pre-order games? Quite amusing. :D And an especially genious tangent.

    niPsen wrote:
    And doesn't X have a 3D map?
    Can't you tell?
    It's difficult. I don't have a 3D monitor, so it's all 2D to me.

    It's so strange.. you seem to have me on some sort of semi-ignore. I politely answer all of your questions and provide you with any information you're apparently missing.. but you just seem to respond to half a post.. and half of that seems to be golden attempts at insults. Are you here to talk about games, or are you here to provide misinformation and to misquote and attack people? I've asked you for a source for a couple of your quotes.. but.. nothing. :/ "I don't know how a quote works" said niPsen.. yesterday.

    (That's not a real example of a quote, by the way, niPsen. That was just a joke. Please do not take it personally. I like you.)

    THFourteen wrote:
    Never played Lair.
    Don't. It's shit.
  • Deleted user 25 September 2011 11:47:18
    nipsen wrote:
    And that's how we get this stream of shitty, crappy, unoriginal brown shooters.

    Name 6 from the last 5 years and sequels don't count.
  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 12:00:01 5,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    niPsen wrote:
    And of course - what do you get afterwards? Penguinjim, mr. Representative whose opinion shall be respected as truth for everyone, or else! Is insisting that the FIRST MISSION IN I-WAR 2 IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THROUGH, BECAUSE IT'S TOO DIFFICULT! I'm going to bet my last dollar that this person has no qualms about spending hours upon hours fighting against the mechanics in GTA, Halo or Call of Duty. Or had no problems hitting the combos in, say, Dante's Inferno after practising for a while. And that it would probably never occur to the guy to complain about the difficulty in either Megaman or Super Mario. Just take a look at Megaman - you jump up, get hit while you jump, and you sail into the abyss without being able to glide away. Now that's vile. It's not just difficult - it's so difficult that unless you wrap your head around the physics that exist in the Megaman universe, you're never going to complete the first level. But /that/ isn't a problem. Learning something that positively defies any kind of sense, with controls that are insanely complex and react to the tiniest input - no problem whatsoever.

    But when it's something that doesn't scream ARCADE CONTROLS HERE!!!!, then it's over. An abstraction that doesn't require "gamer language skill" in terms of button-presses and learned controller skill - and then it's final: This will "never work". "People" don't even have to try it first. Because they already know.

    It's not that I don't appreciate the attention (I really do, and girls like you have frequently bought me drinks, so you're OK in my book!), but you seem to have made a slight error here.

    4gate wrote:
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    I really need to go back and play I-War 2 again. I dig it out every 3 years or so to see if I can beat the first battle. About 10 years of failure so far.

    Is that the one where you're a child with the ship instructing you, and then you die about 50 times before putting the cd back in the case and throwing the case out the window? I bought that. Really short campaign.

    I realise it's probably not even an error in your world, or maybe even that it's somehow my fault or one of the mods I've been sleeping with has gone back and changed the names next to the posts just to spite you, but I haven't mentioned I-War 2 (anywhere, for months or perhaps years). I quite enjoyed it on release, though.

    You're right, though - I really didn't mind learning the controls in GTA, either. GOURANGA! :D

    niPsen wrote:
    Then these are simply written off by those who "know what gamers want".
    Heh, that's an amazing quote - is that a tagline from a developer or publisher? Who said that?
  • Deleted user 25 September 2011 12:20:09
    I just can't be bothered with you anymore so no, I won't explain it to you.
  • redcrayon 25 Sep 2011 13:14:56 4,544 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Nipsen
    Games that aren't shooters do exist, in fact I think uncharted 2 was the last shooter I played and I've bought stacks of games in the last 2 years.

    They get the lion's share of the attention because multiplayer is insanely popular, but in sheer numbers they actually make up a small minority of the total games released. It just doesn't feel like it at this time of year.

    Yeah, we can all moan about expensive development meaning a lack of risk taking and the sidelining of unique old favourites, but we've heard the counter arguments a thousand times too, and framing the discussion by slagging off several otherwise highly regarded games doesn't really help.
  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 13:44:29 5,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    niPsen wrote:
    @Penguin: For god's sake just shut up. If you want to talk to me in PM, I can ignore those instead, no problem. But there's nothing in any of the posts you've made here that in any way could possibly be related to something other than calling me a bitch, in the usual widdling poodle-butch style adopted by internet strongmen. So fuck off. Keep it in PMs if you can't shut the hell up.
    Assuming that I'm the penguin, it's so strange considering your off-topic questions/replies directed at me in this thread (which I was polite enough to answer). When you talk about ignoring my PMs "instead", that implies that you've ignored my posts already. Have you tried simply ignoring my posts? Well, clearly you couldn't manage that. Did you try using the 'ignore poster' button? Well, obviously not, as you keep asking me questions and misquoting me and claiming that I can't complete the first I-War 2 mission (in the English-speaking world, we'd tend to apologise for mistakes like that, but if your parents didn't raise you that way then it's not really your fault, is it? ;)).

    I apologise if you felt that I widdled you (more gold!). I'm sure I suggested before that if you don't want the embarrassment of having factual mistakes corrected, you could avoid posting them to begin with. Between your misinformation, your questions (including some aimed specifically at me, including multiple choice on one occasion) and your brilliant responses, I would have felt it rude of me not to respond.

    I'm not really a penguin, by the way. It's just a nickname! ;)
  • DFawkes 25 Sep 2011 13:45:56 22,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    RPS have a story up on LA hiring on a "aerial combat game".

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/15/might-be-tie-fightin-lucasarts-hiring/

    In the requirements one line REALLY shouts out "It's coming back guys!"

    "Experience with flight sims, aerial shooters, and especially space-based shooters a plus"

    God I hope it turns out to be a new x-wing/TIE fighter!!!!!


    This is excellent almost news! Heck, I could live with just an unlicenced space-shooter, I do love shooting things in space. We don't have many of these on consoles - heck, I can only think of 2 dedicated space shooters on 360. That's criminal, we need more!

    Plenty on PC of course, but I'd like to have more on consoles as an option. As it's just a job advert, there isn't much indication of platform, but nowadays you'd think there'd at least be a console port. Given that bolded bit of the job advert though, we're almost guaranteed some space blasting in some form so it's all good :)

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • CaptainBinky 25 Sep 2011 14:13:25 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nipsen wrote:
    Quite the essay. Read it above, it's way too long to quote.

    Staggeringly bang-on though. +1,000,000
  • Dirtbox 25 Sep 2011 14:44:02 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm almost stunned that he's finally made a point. And it's a good one, however, there's still a hard core of bedroom coders who are always willing to take up the challenge and champion the exact type of things that the safety obsessed publishers aren't capable of. Of course there probably won't be another X-Wing that's in the same league from Lucas Arts, or anyone, but there surely will be games made by and for the people who love the more technical aspects of the genre.

    Now that the tools are available, I think it's only a matter of time before it happens and becomes a runaway success, prompting the casual game obsessed publishers to pump their money back into developing it.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 15:46:20 5,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    While she's obviously right that better systems > simpler systems and better systems > complicated systems, that should seem obvious. It doesn't matter if a system is more or less complicated, as long as it works better for the player. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes more is more. It really depends on the game. That it took her multiple paragraphs to get this point across is... golden. :D

    niPsen also doesn't seem to understand the relevance of accretion discs to in-system space sims, but that's a forgivable oversight if she hasn't researched her point.

    But she's making statements about one aspect of the gaming industry as if it's the only thing that ever happens. Sure, sometimes game series get dumbed down. But sometimes they increase in complexity. It's convenient to forget that this happens if you want to rant on a forum about brown shooters (in a space sim thread, wtf).

    Games and their follow-ups are great because they can use player suggestions to make a better game. Sometimes a sequel is designed by committee, and we end up with Alliance (or Legacy - *shudder*!). Sometimes we get an increasingly complex series, like X, or a sequel that just slightly improves upon a winning formula, like Freespace 2. But niPsen is claiming that those last two never happen.

    "In fact, the first time you see a tiny sign of something unique being done that actually tries to raise immersion, and lower the abstraction level a little bit - the "fans" become angry. Because if it's not a gun solidly painted on the screen that acts in exactly the same way as before, then "core gamers" become "unexcited"." - niPsen
    -you see, this isn't a fact. It can happen, but it doesn't always happen. (And once again, I'd love to know the source of those quotes, but I'm pretty much running on the assumption that it's a Norwegian rectum by now)
  • Dirtbox 25 Sep 2011 16:04:37 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, the current trend is to ignore the niche and play it safe is undeniable, but only with the publishers. And the accretion disk is 1000ly deep, so it doesn't completely preclude the chance of there being inhabited systems on the z axis of each other, it's just highly unlikely.

    Not that I'm taking it's side because of all the frankly hilarious accusational shit, but it's hard to ignore the fact that there hasn't been a good space sim for years.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • PenguinJim 25 Sep 2011 16:14:15 5,758 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Except Terran Conflict! ;) But yes, X could definitely use some competition.
  • Dirtbox 25 Sep 2011 16:22:18 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's an indy game, so doesn't count!

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • LeD 15 Jan 2013 10:38:45 6,210 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, does this have a chance to happen ever? I was watching a StarWars games retrospective on GT only this morning, and have a very fond recollection of my time with the game. Heck, even a untouched XBLA conversion would do me!
  • neilka 15 Jan 2013 10:41:51 15,678 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was little chance before the Disney takeover and now there's none.
  • LeD 15 Jan 2013 10:46:18 6,210 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hadn't thought of that! :(

    How does the takeover affect LucasArts and their back catalogue btw?
  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 11:03:15 5,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess it depends on if they were actually working on it like rumoured, I think anything LA were already working is still happening despite Disney getting them and clearly they were hiring for some kind of space shooter we've yet to see.

    If it is happening we may hear this year I reckon, pimping 1313 will likely be the focus for now though so I doubt we'll hear anything for a while.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 11:05:55
    At this point I'd be happy enough with another rogue squadron.
  • bad09 15 Jan 2013 11:14:05 5,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @CrispyXUK

    Yeah I think you are right, I'd love a proper sim but anything I can fly about in will do now.
  • Stickman 15 Jan 2013 11:14:49 29,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bring back nipsen!

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply