Persona 4 Golden Page 21

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• elvenscroll 4 Mar 2013 07:39:43 1,381 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @HiddenAway That's really helpful, thank you! Will muck around a bit later and see what happens. :)

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Mar 2013 09:00:01 25,497 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy crap, any tips for beating Yukiko's shadow? Was just about holding my own until she summoned a helper and then got shat on.
  • elstoof 4 Mar 2013 09:12:48 6,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, direct commands for all characters, use Chie's ice spell, that knocks her on the floor then pile in. When she's got ice defences up, use the time to heal with Yusaka. Don't worry about the prince, he'll piss off with escape after a short while. With your own character, do whatever you need, physical attacks, defence down spells, heal etc. I had no trouble with all players at level 12. You should have some fire defending items from the dungeon too, equip those.

Edited by elstoof at 09:18:20 04-03-2013
  • Gregolution 4 Mar 2013 10:07:27 3,175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So my gaming world has basically been thrown a nuclear JRPG bomb. Never enjoyed any and now I'm playing Persona 4 and Ni No Kuni simultaneously.

Absolutely loving them. I played NNK virtually the whole weekend.

Are there any other games out there like these? I've got P3 on my list to buy already. What else is out there, but relatively recent. I don't think I want to go back to pre hd graphics etc.
  • Murbal 4 Mar 2013 10:26:02 22,037 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gregolution

The definitive PSP RPGs for Vita list? Bit US centric in places but you're bound to find something of interest.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464557
  • Gregolution 4 Mar 2013 10:37:06 3,175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Murbal

So many of those include past failed attempts for me to 'get' JRPG gaming. P4G and NNK are the only 2 that have really grabbed me.

Haven't found anything from Square Enix that I really love and they're supposed to be the JRPG daddies aren't they? FF9 to about half way is the farthest I've ever played one of their games.

What about that Tales series? There's a new one of those due on PS3 isn't there?
  • santashi 4 Mar 2013 10:38:46 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tales of Graces f is on the PS3. I really enjoyed it, personally, but I'm a bit of a Tales fan. :p

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• FabricatedLunatic 4 Mar 2013 10:49:50 12,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tales of Graces f is definitely worth playing, though be advised the action-based battle system is very different from what you're playing at the moment. 22 at Zavvi.

I'd recommend Trails in the Sky (it's on the PS Store) even though you mentioned not wanting to go pre-HD. I just can't imagine anyone not liking it.
  • Murbal 4 Mar 2013 10:55:37 22,037 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Am I right in saying that Tales of Graces pre-dates Vesperia?
  • Ghibli 4 Mar 2013 11:00:53 63 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    that's a great list. I'm in the same boat as @gregolution - last jrpg I got into was FFVII. But NNK and this have shown me the light. I'm currently over 20 hours into p4g and well over 30 hours into NNK with my daughter ( plus about 12 on my own personal save file too).

I haven't put this much into gaming since before I became a dad. =/
  • FanBoysSuck 4 Mar 2013 11:31:36 1,464 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm enjoying this so far (just got to the point where I can actually explore) but there's a few things I'm not sure about:

1.I've started on normal, no problems so far and I've played my fair share of JRPGs but I'm a bit concerned that I've read you've got to do specific stuff to get the true ending. Something about maxing social links which will result in a lot of grinding to get the dungeons done. Is it worth restarting on a lower difficulty? I have neither the time or patients to grind these days.

2.Any tips on what activities I should be doing? I went to the library and it skipped me to the evening so I'm guessing only one thing can be done a day?

3.What's all this fusion stuff about? I've picked up a few persona in the first dungeon, it it best to just fuse them all or is there some kind of specific recipe I should follow to get the best ones? How is experience shared during battles? I swapped between a few of them to get access to a healing spell, do they share the experience at the end of the battle?

For the emperor!

• santashi 4 Mar 2013 11:43:45 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck 1) You definitely don't need to max out social links to get the true ending. Getting the true ending is dependent on doing certain things nearish the end of the game. You cannot save in the section that can lead to the bad ending, and unless you choose to overwrite your save after getting the bad ending, there's nothing to stop you going back to your previous save and trying again. You also don't need to do lots of grinding.

(Not sure if any of that was really very spoilerish at all, but just being on the safe side.)

2) Generally you can do an activity in the afternoon (or daytime, on school holidays), and another in the evening, unless there's something that you are compelled to do (eg. story-related events). Different activities are available at different times, so you can always check round and see what's available before making your decision on what to do. (Also consult the 'talk' function to see what other people did.)

3) Just register the best version of your Personas so they are 'saved' then feel free to experiment with fusing. It fills up your compendium and if you want to grab a Persona you already registered then you can always buy it back. You can check what the result will be before you fuse, so see if you like what they're showing you. Picking which skills you want to transfer is such a godsend.

• FanBoysSuck 4 Mar 2013 12:07:47 1,464 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @santashi Much appreciated dude, it's a relief that I won't have to be playing while constantly looking up a guide :)

For the emperor!

• santashi 4 Mar 2013 12:21:01 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No problem! I hope you continue to enjoy it. ;)

RE: EXP, there's a Persona skill that lets Personas who don't participate still get a share of the EXP.

(Again, not a massive spoiler at all.)

• HiddenAway 4 Mar 2013 12:41:50 14,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Picking which skills you want to transfer is such a godsend.
    This is what I wasn't aware of in Golden when I was talking about it a few days back (I'm aware now obviously, having done a fusion myself). It is probably the best feature they could add. In P3 (and P4 original maybe?), you had to randomly cancel the fusion and re-make your selections until you were happy with the skills you were going to get.

Now that you can influence the skills that are inherited, it makes fusions a lot easier.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Murbal 4 Mar 2013 12:42:30 22,037 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feel bummed that I blew Yosuke out just to join drama club :-(

Still, had lunch with Chie and that went well.
  • Zizoo 4 Mar 2013 12:43:43 8,232 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a soft spot for the drama club girl.
  • HiddenAway 4 Mar 2013 12:54:07 14,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Just to add to santashi's brilliant explanation, you can do some things in the After School/Daytime period that doesn't advance the clock. Accepting quests and fulfilling quests in general won't advance the clock. Social Link's will for the most part.

Entering the dungeons will advance the clock and make you too tired to do anything else that evening except for one or 2 activities.

• FanBoysSuck 4 Mar 2013 16:21:24 1,464 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @HiddenAway Cool thanks :)

For the emperor!

• Feanor 4 Mar 2013 16:25:33 14,119 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Getting the True Ending does not involve S.Links.

But to get the epilogue they added for Golden you need to max out the Aeon S.Link. So don't ignore Marie.
  • FanBoysSuck 4 Mar 2013 16:45:41 1,464 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Feanor Cheers! I was planning on doing that anyway, I like me some goth chick ;)

For the emperor!

• santashi 4 Mar 2013 17:18:02 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Er, regarding endings, if I remember rightly (two months on and my memory has gone...) there is another way to get a bad ending this time, but it's a fairly obvious choice and may not crop up in your game. Just to warn people.

• Gregolution 4 Mar 2013 21:09:51 3,175 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What about this alchemist of dusk game coming out soon? Any good?
  • elvenscroll 4 Mar 2013 21:53:26 1,381 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What a rush this game gives you! Basically I messed up my calendar and ended up on the second to last day of rain on only floor 4 (Yukiko). Fought my way to floor 8, left and came back the next day to take on the boss.

I swear that boss fight went on for 20 odd mins. Possibly under levelled (was level 11) but took her down in the end!

Love this game so much!

NNID/PSN - Chipworm

• santashi 4 Mar 2013 23:59:23 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't worry, boss fights aren't supposed to be short. :)

• HiddenAway 5 Mar 2013 06:51:49 14,870 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Don't worry, boss fights aren't supposed to be short. :)
    The second dungeon main boss took a while. Was never in danger but the pressure was telling. Managed to turn it round when Chie became enraged - so I reduced the boss' defence and raised Chie's attack :).

After that, I had a long session in the TV and re-completed the first 2 dungeons. Now I feel over-levelled before the next part of the story can even begin :p (level 29)

Edited by HiddenAway at 06:55:30 05-03-2013

• OmniaVincitAmor 5 Mar 2013 07:12:40 1,516 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So happy this game is getting the love it deserves. One thing I've noticed this play through is the humour is very funny once kanji gets involved. Love that guy.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• elstoof 5 Mar 2013 07:32:51 6,921 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a second run of the castle, that second boss was a step up. That kill everyone move is a bastard. Think it might be doable with clever guarding, gonna do another run from the first floor to get my levels up a bit.
  • Murbal 5 Mar 2013 08:27:35 22,037 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So now Yukiko's recovered (yes, I'm still that early in the game) and has joined the party I was given the chance to grind the castle. Me, Yosuke and Chie all level 11 and Yukiko comes in at 15! Am I underlevelled? Went in and boosted to 13 (Yuki is now 16).

Don't think I need to spoiler that?
  • santashi 5 Mar 2013 08:33:04 5,083 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wouldn't really worry about being underleveled. You actually need to be at some point for a (non hidden so non spoiler?) trophy.

• Page

of 37 First / Last