Dungeons of Dredmor - Highscores etc. Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 26 Jul 2011 20:15:36 35,172 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would probably a good idea if I actually played the damn thing now that I've made the thread and all.
  • HiddenAway 26 Jul 2011 22:32:09 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If the game makers think it's funny to have an achievement for having the game crash, causing a loss of progress - it isn't.

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Tiger_Walts 27 Jul 2011 01:24:20 16,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd better get an epic score for this current run. Went non-magic, non-wielding, hand-to-hand, berzerker ninja. I've spent the first three levels literally kicking 7 shades of snot, vomit and ichor out of the monsters. I've got 2 skills that have knockback, one of which is AoE, with cooldowns of 6 and 12, they also knock back stuff on the floor! Knight's Leap is certainly handy for getting some distance from those Monster Zoos. Got my Throwing to max, been one-shotting some monsters with baseballs :D.

Starting to get tough now. Have to eat food before big battles and munch the odd mushroom. Thrown weapons, knockback and Knight's Leap really help with crowd control though. I can get through a lot of stuff unscathed but if I take hits then my health can plummet. Got a few healing potions for emergencies thankfully. A handful of acid arrows an standby for zoos, bosses and evil crates. My health hit 3 at one point, KL came to the rescue. Omlettes are essential too.

Need some better equipment soon. Current stuff just isn't going to cut it. Shops never have anything useful. Not had many vending machines either.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• w00t 27 Jul 2011 09:41:11 10,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used smithing (also gives you the means to make toasted cheese sandwiches in the ingot press - 40 health food!) to create tier two swords and then used the altars to upgrade them.

I was lucky to get a sword that would chuck fire out for three squares and then explode for minor damage on approximately 50% of hits - so very useful for zoos. Or the sidequests from the statues can drop decent stuff.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Dazimus 27 Jul 2011 12:09:30 564 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just bought this and will give it a quick go. Seems a bit over the top compared to 100 Rogues on the iPad but we'll see.
  • Tiger_Walts 28 Jul 2011 21:36:36 16,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    111,512 Global rank: #2212

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Dazimus 29 Jul 2011 13:41:27 564 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm utter garbage at this, just completely overwhelmed by the amount of items in the game and knowing what to use them for.

I also need to look up what the traits do. My last character just had some shitty wooden sword that took about 4 turns to beat some crap Dingle bird, taking my health right down. God help me if TWO monsters are there. And the only spell I had was some sleep spell.

Any good tips around?
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Jul 2011 10:47:59 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked this up as I'm on an indie roll after buying the Humble Indie Bundle 3 yesterday, and I'm also just grateful when something on Steam has a Mac version too. ;)

It's... not well produced. But it does seem to have that "aaah fuckit, I'll have just one more go" feel to it. Having this and VVVVVV on the go at the same time should do interesting things for my blood pressure.

Scored a mammoth 68 on my first go. Cower before me, mortals!!!
  • Phattso Moderator 31 Jul 2011 11:40:20 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    11,232 and then I got killed by a demon I summoned as a side quest. Bollocks - I had a really solid build, and was waltzing through the normal enemies too. Had got as far as level 4 but died on Level 2. Should've run instead of going toe to toe. Too complacent. :)
  • Phattso Moderator 1 Aug 2011 11:14:25 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh - I notice UncleLou stepping up his game with a 21K score. I have a game with 17K in progress, so hopefully I can challenge that soon enough!
  • HiddenAway 2 Aug 2011 15:33:49 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:
    I'm utter garbage at this, just completely overwhelmed by the amount of items in the game and knowing what to use them for.

I also need to look up what the traits do. My last character just had some shitty wooden sword that took about 4 turns to beat some crap Dingle bird, taking my health right down. God help me if TWO monsters are there. And the only spell I had was some sleep spell.

Any good tips around?

This is the one thing that's stopped me from going through a proper high score run so far. I did a large "no permadeath" run over a few days to test the waters and I realised that my inventory space was extremely limited (even after sorting my items out) and there were far too many items to pick up and drop. I love hoarding items in games. In Dredmor, I just can't figure out what I'll need to actually mix for better items in future and what can be sold in the shops without affecting me later on.

That said, you can have this handy print-and-keep guide of the icons or this one which is handy for stats

• Dazimus 2 Aug 2011 16:05:22 564 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, pretty handy guides there, thanks!

Any other tips from these gurus getting crazy high scores? And by crazy, I mean over 200 points...
  • w00t 2 Aug 2011 16:08:36 10,976 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, you high-scoring buggers!

If I hadn't finally crumbled and bought Minecraft (and hence lost all available gaming time) I'd try and smack you back down tonight :)

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Tyggen 2 Aug 2011 20:50:11 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    211,328 Global rank: #1485

Died by a trap on level 6, my own fault. Should know better than playing for more than a couple of hours, I get sloppy.
  • Phattso Moderator 3 Aug 2011 01:19:21 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice score! I'm pushing the heady heights of 30,000 at the moment and still going, but it's a straight up swordy combat build so it's not going to be much of an achievement even if I do hit six figures, given how this game is balanced.
  • SirScratchalot 3 Aug 2011 05:54:48 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    Did you really have to post that score of mine? :/

It was my only Dwarven Moderation run that I did quite early. Poor Barry Trotter, may he rest in pieces. Been playing easy mode as a sort of fact-finding exercise. Easy is very easy but it also makes you complacent so that when you run into an animal zoo, you do everything all wrong and kill yourself by accident. The most dangerous creature in the dungeon is yourself.

/Nods
    Yesterday I died with an inventory full of health-potions, wands and grenades and yet I just forgot that my health might be low.
  • SirScratchalot 3 Aug 2011 05:56:11 7,872 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Noticed this on steam the other day but wasn't sure if it was worth a purchase considering these games don't get reviewed

Buy then?

I'd love to try it out first. Shame there isn't a demo (and I've got a lot to get on with anyway :p)

Come on! It's dirt cheap!
    And very good...
  • HiddenAway 3 Aug 2011 06:54:50 14,789 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SirScratchalot wrote:
    HiddenAway wrote:
    CrispyXUK64 wrote:
    Noticed this on steam the other day but wasn't sure if it was worth a purchase considering these games don't get reviewed

Buy then?

I'd love to try it out first. Shame there isn't a demo (and I've got a lot to get on with anyway :p)

Come on! It's dirt cheap!
    And very good...

If you see above, you'll know that I have already bought it ;)

Now I remember, the interface is a bit tricky to use. It's probably due to a lack of actual play time...

• AaronTurner 1 Oct 2011 18:32:32 7,521 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got this today, a lot of fun, never really done this sort of thing before. First try 10560 score but I got polaxed as soon as I got to level 2 with a huge monster zoo.
  • BeebleB 14 Aug 2012 23:36:56 778 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    game save?? frowns disapprovingly..for shame...Boo, etc
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Aug 2012 08:48:02 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had the same issue - I was in the middle of my best ever game that I'd been playing for maybe ten hours and now it won't load any more. Oh well, at least I got the 'crash and burn' achievement. :|

I'm hopeful they might fix it again in a future release.
  • Phattso Moderator 15 Aug 2012 08:50:23 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Once you've gone hardcore there's no going back. Permadeath or nothing, you great big girly men!!!!
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Aug 2012 08:56:01 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am on permadeath. It's less of a 'save' and more of a 'suspend because I have to do other shit'.
  • Phattso Moderator 15 Aug 2012 09:01:43 12,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your excuses mean nothing, shallow multi-session dungeoneer!

The One True Way to play is to get a slops bucket, a pizza, a stack of Doritos, and then do ten hours straight as a minimum. You know it makes sense.
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Aug 2012 09:16:43 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does sound rather tempting, I have to admit.
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Aug 2012 10:51:49 48,224 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can get access to the pocket dimension now if you find (I think, I've only found it once) a set of wizard keys. That gives you a huge room to store stuff in that you can access at any time. But like I said, getting in there is reliant on finding a random item in the dungeon.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last