Dishonored Page 16

• Page

of 40 First / Last

• neems 11 Oct 2012 00:54:17 1,081 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I've probably played the best part of four hours this evening, and I am still on the same mission I was on last night.

The level design is absolutely phenomenal so far.
  • hiddenranbir 11 Oct 2012 09:09:45 5,744 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I rushed the shadow kill ability. So now I'm just blinking, killing, blinking away leaving nothing but dust.

Interesting game for sure but kinda wish they did keep on the Thief style stealth.
  • StixxUK 11 Oct 2012 09:58:38 7,174 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gonna grab me some of this tomorrow... where's the cheapest launch price?

Its been a while since I got in on the joys of day 1 new game discussions! Forget the fact that most of you are playing on day -2!
  • neems 11 Oct 2012 10:53:30 1,081 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I very rarely kill anybody - generally only if I get discovered or leave a mine to cover a stash of unconscious bodies - so I spend an awful lot of time prowling rooftops, staring through walls and waiting for the perfect moment... and then end up desperately lugging bodies round corners while Yakkity Sax plays in the background.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 11 Oct 2012 10:58:16 12,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This might be the first game I've bought in a year, it sounds awesome!
  • Snufkin 11 Oct 2012 11:05:17 36 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've weakened and bought XCOM too. I mourn for my bank balance...
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 11:14:03
    Dispatched! Roll on 7pm tomorrow.
  • Murbal 11 Oct 2012 11:15:38 21,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @revan8 you sound like me ON MONDAY ;-)
  • richardiox 11 Oct 2012 13:27:14 5,422 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arse, took the day off work and preordered from Shopto - posties just been (half one?!) and nothing. First time I've ordered from Shopto and haven't got it the day before.

Annoyingly, as usual Shopto posted in yesterday, first class so the fault - as usual - is with shady royal mail.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 13:30:07
    Go out now and buy it from shop. Take your shopto copy back to the shop for refund. That way you get to play it today if you took the day off.
  • richardiox 11 Oct 2012 13:33:57 5,422 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Won't be able to buy it from a shop until tomorrow otherwise I'd do that.
  • NOSAVIOUR 11 Oct 2012 13:37:09 2,802 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Way better than I was expecting. As much as the reviews have been good I haven't been amped for this game but bought anyway. It grabbed me from the offset. Gorgeous would.
  • el-pimpz 11 Oct 2012 13:38:41 64 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Same here, off work and postie has just been no dishonoured for me today. Must be the first time a pre order from shopto hasn't arrived by now, could be worse though my mates recent orders have been going walkies and never showing up!

Oh well roll on tomorrow, going to pick up xcom too.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 13:39:00
    richardiox wrote:
    Won't be able to buy it from a shop until tomorrow otherwise I'd do that.
    Oh dear.....it has been a v busy work day. :(
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 13:40:04
    Simply games.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 11 Oct 2012 14:01:12 12,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this game in the shops then? Be nice to play it tonight ...
  • Archronos 11 Oct 2012 14:06:47 22 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BravoGolf Retail release is tomorrow, any shops stocking it today would have to break embargo (and there's always at least one chain does it with any title).
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Oct 2012 14:22:53 13,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is on the HD (360) the code from Shopto(game arrived today, of course)has been redeemed..only a couple of hours to go, then this bad boy gets started :)

...should get a good 6 hours in before bed...and no it will no be completed by then. 4-6 hours my arse.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• itinkuravinalaff 11 Oct 2012 14:39:20 191 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Remember 2 save often cuz u dunt want 2 sneak or stealf kill loads after being  super cautious only 2 cock up get kiled and redo and thank u devs 4 including manual save! At the mo i cant get on the game til 2night and find myself planning my next move:-D The blink is great 4 climbing on 2 rooftops, so many options 2 the msns!
  • 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 15:10:08 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My rental copy is on the way.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• ronuds 11 Oct 2012 15:11:35 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HA!

I'm renting it as well. Was psyched to learn the Redbox down the street has copies - they barely get any new games!
  • 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 15:17:45 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Eh? I've always said I'll rent it. I'll buy it when it's a GOTY; that way my money, my vote, is going to a particular version.

More importantly, how long have you had a Redbox? I only just heard about them and thought they were exclusive to the US. What are the prices like?

• ronuds 11 Oct 2012 15:24:38 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just laughing because of the conversation we had a few pages back.

I'm in the US, sooo...

Prices are cheap here, though! $1 a day for a movie and $1.50 or so for a game.
  • Derblington 11 Oct 2012 15:45:17 20,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I'll buy it when it's a GOTY; that way my money, my vote, is going to a particular version.
    I don't think anyone really keeps track of whether people are "voting" for the GOTY versions. By the time that comes around it's just an extra sales boost in the products lifespan.

Not that I'm saying you shouldn't. Whatever tickles you.
  • LoopTheory 11 Oct 2012 16:14:03 350 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine has just turned up :) Looking forward to a night in the world of Dishonoured! The art design in half life 2 really sucked me and i'm hoping it does the same here... also all your little stories are making it hard to work with it sitting downstairs .....
  • PenguinJim 11 Oct 2012 16:16:45 5,476 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hear that DUFFMAN5 is a bit of a backstreet butcher, if you know what I mean...
  • 1Dgaf 11 Oct 2012 16:45:06 3,775 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derbs

If I was the boss I'd want to know an estimate of what GOTY sales came from people that had previously played (rented, borrow etc.) and people new to the game. I'd want to know how the 'value propositon' of the GOTY affect sales. Because that kind of thing might influence how the company deals DLC and content in future games.

Of course you can't have a definitive answer, but perhaps you'd get a steer.

And I might be wrong, but I don't think you replied to my question about whether you think financial incentives influence human behaviour (in general) and whether encounters in games are always determined by player skill or if equipment/items/weapons might affect it.

• Derblington 11 Oct 2012 17:17:55 20,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm getting Dishonored tomorrow, so as of then I will actually talk about the game proper. For now...

'The boss' is busy doing other stuff :) Of course sales are tracked but I don't think, though I may well be very wrong, that sales are monitored and compared across versions of a title. It might be done by publishing or marketing, somewhere, but from a studio perspective it's more about aggregated sales and the lifespan of the product. I've never heard anyone comparing sales between versions of a title that we've released, especially not in the way that forum-consumers think they have a vote, it's more about how well something sells in the first place.

And there's no real way of knowing if people have played, or played but not bought it, previously.

Of course financial incentives influence human behavour, but in relation to a development studio and game design the decisions that effect each are made by two different groups (with the exception of F2P titles where it's obviously baked into the design). For us, an on-site designer builds the persistence experience and a marketing bod somewhere works out ways of adding income through microtransactions. It might be completely obvious that it's going to happen, and of course it is, but that still doesn't change the process at a core level. Brand marketing would be more prevailent during the earlier stages as deals are made, but it's normally limited to fluff. As I said, it's not a group of designers sat around a studio working out the best way to make money; they're too busy trying to work out how to build the best game they can with the time and resources available and hit a deadline.

In terms of encounters, it could be effected depending on the design of the game. Typically, for something like ours, I don't think it plays a massive part. Tactical positioning is more important and you are just as capable with a starter gun than the last available unlock, providing the user is competent. Which is something you can't really measure when you're sat alone on your couch and raging that someone shot you with a gun you might think is better. Add to that that as soon as one person has a weapon it's a kit pick-up when they die.

I struggle with the weapons in BF3 a lot, but there are a few I can use. Once I have one, I can score; take them away and I'm useless. That's not because they are better guns, it's because I'm better with them.
  • DUFFMAN5 11 Oct 2012 18:05:04 13,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is rather bloody good ;)
    Very much like Bioshock and Singularity due to the powers. Game world is lovely (played for around 3 hours so far) There are a lot of books, pamphlets to read on the hop mind you. I have read some not all so far, “you” store them so can read later on of course. As for what type of assassin am I. A wank one it would seem. I love the gunplay (very meaty) and the sword, so only a couple of stealth kills thus far. Gun and powers a-blazin’ for me, also if you are a citizen and you get in my way, then to bad for you really ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Vortex808 11 Oct 2012 18:17:27 6,573 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Like Bioshock you say Duff? Excellent news. My shopto copy is on 'the pile' as I type.

Just about to collect my code from shopto and get it added.

:D
  • Page

of 40 First / Last